Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2574 Old 12-12-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are there any E* DVRs (HD or SD) that will pick up cable analog SD channels (14-whatever) instead of UHF with their OTA NTSC tuners?

Thanks
post #1083 of 2574 Old 12-12-2008, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Power of suggestion? Hardly. I have read nothing about Dish in months but all of the sudden noticed a much improved picture. So, how is that suggestion?

You bit starve HBO, SHO, ESPN, HDNET, DISCOVERYHDTHEATER on MPEG2 enough and then go MPEG4, they look better - several make a comment and suddenly "every hd channel looks better".

Very common phenomenia. One person gets sick on a plane and suddenly everyone gets sick. One person says they smell gas and suddenly everyone smells gas. For God's sake, think of the people that buy HDTV. 50% have no HD sources. They plug in the TV to SD StretchMode and the ooh and ahh......."It's HD!!!!" Mass hysteria.....the power of suggestion.
post #1084 of 2574 Old 12-13-2008, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

Are there any E* DVRs (HD or SD) that will pick up cable analog SD channels (14-whatever) instead of UHF with their OTA NTSC tuners?

Thanks

921 and 942 had analog tuners but can not record analog, they are also obsolete. All HD models can record ATSC
post #1085 of 2574 Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Ciel II satellite reaches orbit, Dish to get more HD

Posted by Jeff Chabot on Dec 12th, 2008

Dish Network will get more HD channels next year thanks to a successful launch of the Ciel II satellite. The satellite was launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on Wednesday, and achieved orbit yesterday.

This was a huge success for Echostar/Dish Nework, who suffered a failed launch back in March this year from the same location in Kazakhstan. The Ciel II will provide additional high definition broadcasts for the North American market, including the expansion of local HD channels.

Brian Neill, chairman of the Ciel Satellite Group, said, Last evening's launch of Ciel II is a keystone event in the foundation of Ciel, Canada's newest satellite operating company. Now that the spacecraft has delivered an initial signal, Ciel's investors and our customer, DISH Network, can look forward to Ciel II's operation early next year.

http://www.hd-report.com/2008/12/12/...o-get-more-hd/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #1086 of 2574 Old 12-14-2008, 10:06 PM

Anybody have issues with the 622 DVR's. I run two of them to the same tv so we each have our own and I am sending back the 4th one since we got them a year or so ago. The first one lasted a couple days and then the next one a couple weeks. I have had Dish since 96' or 97'. I was one of the first to have it in my area. It was so new that the installer had never done one before. What I'm getting at is, up till these 622's, I had never had a Dish receiver fail.

P.S...rented one of the 1080P movies thru Dish and it was visually stunning. Even better than my new Panasonic BD player. And I'm just running componet cables on my 622 because they actually give a better PQ than HDMI ones. Yes, I have HDMI on the Panasonic. I thought you had to have HDMI cables for 1080P. The PQ was just breath-taking.
post #1087 of 2574 Old 12-14-2008, 10:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Young TV Stations Back On Dish; 10 Stations Return After Retransmission-Consent Battle
By Linda Moss -- Multichannel News

After a three-day retransmission-consent fight, Dish Network restored 10 Young Broadcasting stations, including KRON-TV in San Francisco, to its lineup Sunday, the satellite service said.

Dish Network spokeswoman Kathie Gonzalez Sunday night confirmed that the stations were back on the satellite service's roster, after being dropped Thursday night around 7 p.m. (ET). She didn't provide any other details.

Officials for Young Broadcasting couldn't be reached for comment, and Sunday night some of its TV-station web sites still had old notices saying Dish had dropped them.

A newsroom staffer at WLNS-TV in Lansing, Mich., told Multichannel News that station had gotten a call from a viewer saying the station was back on Dish's roster, thanking the station.

Dish Network dumped the Young stations a day after its retransmission-consent contract with the broadcaster had expired. The stalemate was over how much cash Dish Network should fork over to carry Young's TV-station signals in 11 markets.

In addition to KRON and WLNS, Young Broadcasting owns WKRN-TV Nashville, Tenn., WTEN-TV in Albany, N.Y., WRIC-TV in Richmond, Va., WATE-TV in Knoxville, Tenn., WBAY-TV in Green Bay, Wis., KLFY-TV in Lafayette, La., KELO-TV in Sioux Falls, S.D., and KWQC-TV in Davenport, Iowa.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1088 of 2574 Old 12-15-2008, 12:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun55 View Post

Will this be an additional charge or will it just add on to the package I currently have? TIA.

Don't know. I haven't heard anything about that myself, but I'd imagine there will at least be the usual February package price increases (like 2-3 dollars).

I'd just keep an eye out here, and also over at satellite guys and dbs talk, which generally focus on all things satellite in more depth and detail.
post #1089 of 2574 Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam4466 View Post

Anybody have issues with the 622 DVR's. I run two of them to the same tv so we each have our own and I am sending back the 4th one since we got them a year or so ago. The first one lasted a couple days and then the next one a couple weeks. I have had Dish since 96' or 97'. I was one of the first to have it in my area. It was so new that the installer had never done one before. What I'm getting at is, up till these 622's, I had never had a Dish receiver fail.

P.S...rented one of the 1080P movies thru Dish and it was visually stunning. Even better than my new Panasonic BD player. And I'm just running componet cables on my 622 because they actually give a better PQ than HDMI ones. Yes, I have HDMI on the Panasonic. I thought you had to have HDMI cables for 1080P. The PQ was just breath-taking.

What movie did you rent? Were you actually receiving a 1080p signal since you said you were using component cables?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Don't know. I haven't heard anything about that myself, but I'd imagine there will at least be the usual February package price increases (like 2-3 dollars).

I'd just keep an eye out here, and also over at satellite guys and dbs talk, which generally focus on all things satellite in more depth and detail.

Thanks, hopefully it's not to much, unless they offer a significant amount of new HD channels.
post #1090 of 2574 Old 12-15-2008, 09:27 AM

[quote=varun55;15301560]What movie did you rent? Were you actually receiving a 1080p signal since you said you were using component cables?

It was 10,000 BC when they recently had the $1.99 promo. You had it for a 24hr period. I never thought about it at the time, but it hit me later that I had component cables, so how was I getting the 1080P signal. I have 56" Panasonic 1080P LCD and everyone raves over the 1080i pic from Dish. The funny thing is that when you rent a 1080P from VOD, the receiver does a check on your moniter to see if it is capable of receiving the 1080P signal. It said it is not capable for some reason ( maybe cause of the component cables ), but since it was only a $1.99, I proceeded anyway. All I can say is, I've had home theatre equipment since the start and I know what I'm seeing. I wish my Panasonic BD player ( which from this website seems to be becoming a legendary player ) had as good PQ as both 1080P Dish VOD rentals had. They were just a smidgen better.
post #1091 of 2574 Old 12-17-2008, 08:30 PM

What kind of issues? We're on our 3rd. DVR playback problems. So far the 3rd seems to be the charm.
Just got a new Samsung LN52A650, Samsung BD 1500 blu-ray and a Sony HT-C100 sound bard. DVR remote will not control the sound bar. No code available, per Sony and Dish. Have searched everywhere to no avail. NOT happy about that.
post #1092 of 2574 Old 12-19-2008, 12:18 AM

This last one we just replaced started shutting off by itself while watching it. It did that once in a while for a few days. Then it got to the point where it would power on and off non-stop. It would also have to aquire the signal and just as it got a pic, it would turn off and start over again. The last one before that we lost the record and pause features. It would only play as if it was a standard HD receiver. The first two I cant remember since its been about a year and a half ago.
post #1093 of 2574 Old 12-19-2008, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa413 View Post

Just got a new Samsung LN52A650, Samsung BD 1500 blu-ray and a Sony HT-C100 sound bard. DVR remote will not control the sound bar. No code available, per Sony and Dish. Have searched everywhere to no avail. NOT happy about that.

I was upset when I found the Dish remote wouldn't operate a couple of my components. And it isn't like they were from the Stone Age. Anyhow, after doing some research, I bought a Logitech Harmony 510 remote and love it. One of the great pluses is the ability to download the latest software so that when you replace components you don't have to miss a beat. You can shop around and get a better price than what is on their website. Good luck.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/re...otes/&cl=us,en
post #1094 of 2574 Old 12-19-2008, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. We are probably going to go the Harmony route. Just have to decide which model. More reviews to read. Seems most have very good reviews. We're leaning towards the Harmony One. Want to get the easiest one to deal with, but late enough model to be relatively future proof.
post #1095 of 2574 Old 12-24-2008, 07:42 AM

You guys notice any ghosting/smearing on your dish network channels? I'm starting to think my local Dish service tech didn't properly set it up. Is there any way to check signal to see if everything is correct?
post #1096 of 2574 Old 12-24-2008, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by scb175 View Post

You guys notice any ghosting/smearing on your dish network channels? I'm starting to think my local Dish service tech didn't properly set it up. Is there any way to check signal to see if everything is correct?

Ghosting/smearing is not a signal issue. Unless you get picture drop outs, your signal is fine. Do you have an LCD TV by chance?
post #1097 of 2574 Old 12-24-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
If you have the noise reduction set too high you can also get a smearing effect.
post #1098 of 2574 Old 12-29-2008, 05:11 PM

Yah, i have the new Samsung 46a550 LCD. Man, I don't know the proper terms to use, but I see a double image when people move. Just very subtle movements can cause this. I notice it mostly with a black image. I don't really see it on HD channels.

I do know what ghosting is, and I see it quite a bit as a trail is behind the moving object. Most people do not notice this... like my wife.

I see it because when i am at other peoples looking at their larger TV's, they don't have it. Odd
post #1099 of 2574 Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 PM

NHL Network is now available on SD. It's channel 625. Not sure if this is just a promo for the Winter Classic or if this is permanent.
post #1100 of 2574 Old 12-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

It's been there all along - it was one of the originals with the first HD only package. It's on 403 and 9540 also, both HD & SD.
post #1101 of 2574 Old 12-31-2008, 08:29 AM

New to this forum and considering switching from Comcast (Houston) to Dish Network's Turbo HD service. Anybody care to share their level of satisfaction with Dish Networks HD service? I'm very disappointed in the number of HD channels that Comcast provides and Dish seems to be a better HD alternative. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #1102 of 2574 Old 12-31-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBowman View Post

New to this forum and considering switching from Comcast (Houston) to Dish Network's Turbo HD service. Anybody care to share their level of satisfaction with Dish Networks HD service? I'm very disappointed in the number of HD channels that Comcast provides and Dish seems to be a better HD alternative. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

We've been with them for about 4 years. HD DVR (VIP622) for one year on our living room set; HD VIP211 for our bedroom and an sd for the guest bedroom. No real complaints. We did have playback problems with the 622. Dish sent a replacement; same issues with that one; 3rd one seems to be the charm. HD selection is great. But keep in mind that not all HD is created equal. Some programming/stations are just better than others. We have the biggest hd package they have (can't keep up with what they're calling it now). And HBO and Showtime. Shop around for package deals. They're great for first time customers. Existing customers can only upgrade equipment once a year with a 2 receiver limit and a new 2 yr. contract. Keep that in mind when ordering. Get everything you might want down the road and can afford.
If you're interested in dvr, request the 722. We're upgrading to one next week for the living room and a 612 dvr for the bedroom. Bigger hard drive on the 722.
Another site to check out is: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/. Lots of info there.

Good luck!
Lisa
post #1103 of 2574 Old 12-31-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The 722 not only has a bigger hard drive, but a better MPEG decoder chip so slightly better picture quality as well.

Happy New Year!

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #1104 of 2574 Old 12-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBowman View Post

To begin with, switching from Concast (freudian slip) to a Kinetescope for silent movies would be an upgrade.

That said, I have been with Dish since they started the HD only package earlier this year which includes all HD channels. The 722 is the best DVR on the market and PQ is excellent. The channel selection is fine for me, although a family with only Turbo may miss some stations (FX, Comedy, Kids channels). Can't comment on locals since we don't have locals in HD in my market, but the 722 does great with my antennae.

I got in on the $30.00 a month price and they have included all channels added since I started and honored the price, so I have what may be the best deal around. I had never seen some channels like MGM, HDNet, Universal and Smithsonian which alll have very good programming and Smithsonian HD is as good as I've seen including my OTA channels.

If you can find a package you like at a price you like I wouldn't hesitate to make the switch.
post #1105 of 2574 Old 01-01-2009, 10:17 PM

The wife recorded a new show today on HGTV Dear Genevieve, It looked like it was shot through a milk bottle. I thought some of the older shows were streatchovision but now Im thinking they have the same problem. I think they are using a new wide angle lense that makes the side distorted, gives me a headache. The house hunters shows looked normal. I'm looking at this on my new 67" Samsung. The HGTV shows are the only ones that have this problem. It used to be their fast camera work now its just the picture.
Is it me or has anyone else noticed?
post #1106 of 2574 Old 01-02-2009, 04:57 AM

HGTV does this with a lot of there shows. The middle of the picture looks normal, but the 15% or so on the edges is super stretched. It's very annoying with the camera pans across something circular, and as it approaches the edges, it becomes an egg shape. Also annoying when a person is filmed near the edge and one arm is bigger than the other.
post #1107 of 2574 Old 01-02-2009, 08:19 AM

All hd is not created equal. I see the same on my new Samsung lcd. If you're getting excellent picture on other QUALITY hd channels, you know it's not your equipment, but the programming.
I watch/record alot of soaps on CBS with our 622. Young and the Restless fills the screen but the others are 4:3. They're all "hd". And none of the pictures look all that great. Sometimes you just have to tweak your tv settings to get the best picture for whatever channel your watching. A hassle, I know, but just the way it is.
post #1108 of 2574 Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUZNBY View Post

HGTV does this with a lot of there shows. The middle of the picture looks normal, but the 15% or so on the edges is super stretched. It's very annoying with the camera pans across something circular, and as it approaches the edges, it becomes an egg shape. Also annoying when a person is filmed near the edge and one arm is bigger than the other.

You hit the nail on the head. It looks like its stretched in the middle too but the closer to the edge you get the more it stretches, fast scans make it terrible and unwatchable by me without getting an instant headache. Its as if they shoot it with a 4:4 or something strange and have to streatch it to fit the screen, because it looks squashed in 4:3. It might look ok on a curved or bowl shaped screen. I just tuned in Curb Appeal in HD, it looks like the above, like it was filmed through a bowl lens. I switched to SD and although there are bars at the sides its in portion except their is a 1/2" line about 1" from the right that is way stretched. I see it on the Food channel also but none of the others I looked at. This morning every show I looked at on HGTV is like that. Too many close up shots that smear across the screen. Maybe they are filming through their wide angle lens from the wrong side.
Last year they started showing shows with a lot of fast scanning, you didn't have time to make out anything. It looked like a video game. I was on the forums and many people were complaining. It looked like they hired a bunch of teenagers to film the programs.
There also is no place you can complain to HGTV. We will have to stop watching HGTV. If they start doing this with all the other stations they own, I will loose a large part of what we watch.
post #1109 of 2574 Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM

Lisa413:
There is nothing you can tweak to fix the HGTV problem.
I also love that on OTA they advertise ET in HD but I get to see in in SD because my local station doesn't have a HD recorder. Anything that is time delayed is shown in SD. Which may be your problem also. Hopefully these kind of things on OTA will go away after they turn off the Analog feeds. I get the Huntsville Al. locals.
post #1110 of 2574 Old 01-02-2009, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa413 View Post

All hd is not created equal. I see the same on my new Samsung lcd. If you're getting excellent picture on other QUALITY hd channels, you know it's not your equipment, but the programming.
I watch/record alot of soaps on CBS with our 622. Young and the Restless fills the screen but the others are 4:3. They're all "hd". And none of the pictures look all that great. Sometimes you just have to tweak your tv settings to get the best picture for whatever channel your watching. A hassle, I know, but just the way it is.

Lisa, Young and the Restless is an HD production, the rest are not. The 4:3 productions are digitally transmitted but are standard definition.

That said, you are correct, if you see a really good HD picture on one channel and less so on others it is the provider's fault not the TV.

Bobby 

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page