Old 01-10-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiehowser View Post

The only news which would be better than this is if they offered ala carte ordering. There is pleanty of good stuff on OTA HD so I don't need cable or dish. But if the price is low enough then I'll subscribe to a package like this $29 HD package. I wonder if we'll see it offered for $19 in the future?

Why would they offer it for $19 if people will pay $29?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I wondered how long it would take until someone interjected it was all about ME and what I want to watch.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I wondered how long it would take until someone interjected it was all about ME and what I want to watch.

I'm shocked it didn't happen sooner...
Old 01-10-2008, 05:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Well, it is all about ME and what I want.

Does this pkg include locals?
Old 01-10-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

It is all about me...LOL Why would I base my provider decision on what someone else wants to watch

Gee, I think Ill sign up for Directv because they have all the channels Aliens wants to watch..

Thanks for your trolly input though.. Have a nice evening
Old 01-10-2008, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

It is all about me...LOL Why would I base my provider decision on what someone else wants to watch

Gee, I think Ill sign up for Directv because they have all the channels Aliens wants to watch...

Because a provider that only has the channels YOU want to watch won't be in business long. They need to appeal to enough customers so they can also continue to serve you. Besides, why would you not want more channels if the cost is the same?

That's like going to a restaurant where they say "here, have some free pie - you can take it home with you, if you want - just in case you want it later."
However, you say, "why would I want pie when I just had a full dinner? I'm certainly not hungry now..."
Old 01-10-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Because a provider that only has the channels YOU want to watch won't be in business long. They need to appeal to enough customers so they can also continue to serve you. Besides, why would you not want more channels if the cost is the same?

That's like going to a restaurant where they say "here, have some free pie - you can take it home with you, if you want."
However, you say, "why would I want pie when I just had a full dinner? I'm certainly not hungry now..."

So I should refrain from signing up for the DISH HD only package, since it might not fit everyone's needs?

P.S. Never said I wouldnt want anymore HD channels. I dont need them, and I wont watch them, but I never said anything about not wanting anymore HD channels. Pinch yourself dude, I think you might be dreaming. Or just really bored...
Old 01-10-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

This $30 package will appeal to many HD subs, but for it to really rock, E* needs to add some childrens hd channels foremost, and a few hd news channels secondly. And if they can really pull that $10 for the HD versions of hd premium movies off, they will put every other carrier to shame, even D*.

Which is why I am not holding my breadth. But you never know, if I were asked 6 months ago what I would think of having Cinemax HD practically for free for the next three years, I would have said "nuts!' but we have it now.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmyoung View Post

This $30 package will appeal to many HD subs, but for it to really rock, E* needs to add some childrens hd channels foremost, and a few hd news channels secondly. And if they can really pull that $10 for the HD versions of hd premium movies off, they will put every other carrier to shame, even D*.

Which is why I am not holding my breadth. But you never know, if I were asked 6 months ago what I would think of having Cinemax HD practically for free for the next three years, I would have said "nuts!' but we have it now.

I think alot of people that use this package will use it in addition to their basic cable package (channel 1 thru 99)..

If I ever sign up thats what Ill be doing. My kids would def not be happy without any of their channels..
Old 01-10-2008, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think alot of people that use this package will use it in addition to their basic cable package (channel 1 thru 99)..

If I ever sign up thats what Ill be doing. My kids would def not be happy without any of their channels..

Then the price advantage is totally gone, why bother?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

Also, they will soon be offering a package with all 4 premium HD channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz) only (no SD premiums) for $10/month.

What is your source for this?

This would surprise me far more than the $30/mo package.

For that to be possible, Dish would need to renegotiate those contracts. In the past, HBO refused to sell the HD channel separately from the $8+/mo package with its other channels. I can't imagine they would be willing to take $2-3/mo for their HD channels now, which is what your post suggests.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then the price advantage is totally gone, why bother?

I just want NFL Network, TBS and Big Ten in HD without having to sign up for 200 other channels that I wont watch.. My cable company doesent offer these channels..

And I get cheap high speed internet by staying with my local cable companies basic cable lineup.. Makes perfect sense to me, and I think it will to many others that have cable companies with inadequate HD offerings
Old 01-10-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Why would they offer it for $19 if people will pay $29?

Because many more people would be willing to pay $19 than $29.

If 1 million people subscribe at $29.99 then dish is making 30 million dollars.

If 10 million people subscribe at $19.99 then dish is making 200 million dollars.

That's why prices will go down. I don't buy cable or direct tv or any of that. I am happy with OTA HD. It is better than SD cable anyways. But if I get HD Dish for a throwaway price, I'll subscribe just for the heck of it. At some price, they will reach market saturation.

$29.99 is not a bad price for 40 HD stations. $19 would be red hot and would make the news.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Well, it is all about ME and what I want.

Does this pkg include locals?

Nope.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just want NFL Network, TBS and Big Ten in HD without having to sign up for 200 other channels that I wont watch.. My cable company doesent offer these channels..

And I get cheap high speed internet by staying with my local cable companies basic cable lineup.. Makes perfect sense to me, and I think it will to many others that have cable companies with inadequate HD offerings

To get those Disney and other kids channels you need standard cable I think, if not then yes our Comcast lifeline is about $13. One other thing, do you think you can stay in the same room with a kid that has TV but no DVR?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To get those Disney and other kids channels you need standard cable I think, if not then yes our Comcast lifeline is about $13. One other thing, do you think you can stay in the same room with a kid that has TV but no DVR?

You can pay a little extra and get a dvr, but as I stated earlier, there's not that much there for kids.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

What is your source for this?

This would surprise me far more than the $30/mo package.

For that to be possible, Dish would need to renegotiate those contracts. In the past, HBO refused to sell the HD channel separately from the $8+/mo package with its other channels. I can't imagine they would be willing to take $2-3/mo for their HD channels now, which is what your post suggests.

The info came from a post on the Satelliteguys.us forum.

I was really excited about the HD premiums offer (if it actually happens) but the more I think about it, it's not really a good deal. Right now, you can get Cinemax for $.01/year. This includes the HD channel. That means you are paying $3.33 each for HBO HD, Showtime HD, and Starz HD. IMO, I don't think there's any good programming on HBO and Showtime. Starz has some good movies but I don't think that it's worth $10 for the 1 channel I like. Again, this is only my opinion.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I was really excited about the HD premiums offer (if it actually happens) but the more I think about it, it's not really a good deal. Right now, you can get Cinemax for $.01/year. This includes the HD channel. That means you are paying $3.33 each for HBO HD, Showtime HD, and Starz HD. IMO, I don't think there's any good programming on HBO and Showtime. Starz has some good movies but I don't think that it's worth $10 for the 1 channel I like. Again, this is only my opinion.

i dont think the all 4 hd premiums for 10.00 will happen. Right now i have starz pack for 10.00, showtime pack for 10.00 and cinemax pack for 1 penny. =20.01 per month. I only watch the hd versions as they show the same as the sd versions. If they go to the 10.00 hd pack, i could save 10.01 per month and get hbo hd. Everyone with an hd receiver and more than i premium pack would drop their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th premium to go for the hd only for 10.00. Dish would lose too much money.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
$3.33 is an absolute bargain. You may not see the value personally, but the value to the consumer, as a whole, far exceeds that amount. But like I said, it would have to be a dramatic change in price, or E* would take a huge hit for every taker.

The exact numbers escape me now, but for HBO it was something along the lines of $5 or $6 per sub, plus a stiff percentage of any amount over $10 charged (HBO wants a $10 sell price to the consumer). Showtime, Cinemax and Starz had smaller, but not tremendously smaller, terms.

$10 for all 4 would be a steal, far more significant than the $30 HD package most of which are channels for which there is no additional charge over their SD feed. That's why I'd wait to see something official before getting your hopes up too high.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

$3.33 is an absolute bargain. You may not see the value personally, but the value to the consumer, as a whole, far exceeds that amount. But like I said, it would have to be a dramatic change in price, or E* would take a huge hit for every taker.

The exact numbers escape me now, but for HBO it was something along the lines of $5 or $6 per sub, plus a stiff percentage of any amount over $10 charged (HBO wants a $10 sell price to the consumer). Showtime, Cinemax and Starz had smaller, but not tremendously smaller, terms.

$10 for all 4 would be a steal, far more significant than the $30 HD package most of which are channels for which there is no additional charge over their SD feed. That's why I'd wait to see something official before getting your hopes up too high.

I agree, it would be a steal. However i think more people would be dropping premiums, and paying 10-30 dollars less,(money that dish would now lose) than there would be new people paying the 10.00
Old 01-10-2008, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The $10 premium HDs is too good to be true, I believe it depends on how bad E* is bleeding due to the lack of new HD vs. D*. Charlie will take drastic measure if necessary and he may negotiate a separate deal, but even if it can be done, do not expect you can get it unless you go for the $30 ALL HD pack. Otherwise they are cutting off one hand to feed the other.

I think the chance of it maybe 10% only because they did manage to get a Cinemax deal through, why not the others?

Of course the other 90% chance it was someone playing a practical joke on all of us.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:

Thats exactly what I'll be doing if this plays out. By the time I ditch the HD DVR from my cable co I'll almost have the E* package paid for..
Old 01-10-2008, 09:57 PM

I could care less about the premiums as I think they are way overrated. A sub to Netflix more than takes care of my movie fetish and I'm not interested in anything else on these inflated priced channels. This of course is just my opinion as some seem to love all the premiums.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I think the idea is specifically to combat what DirecTV is doing, because they can't go toe to toe anymore on the sheer number of channels.

I think it's a great idea, and I hope they do well with it.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 01-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

If they offer this the same as the last standalone $30 HD package they will also charge the $6 access fee because the discontinued package was not considered a base package.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispap View Post

i dont think the all 4 hd premiums for 10.00 will happen. Right now i have starz pack for 10.00, showtime pack for 10.00 and cinemax pack for 1 penny. =20.01 per month. I only watch the hd versions as they show the same as the sd versions. If they go to the 10.00 hd pack, i could save 10.01 per month and get hbo hd. Everyone with an hd receiver and more than i premium pack would drop their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th premium to go for the hd only for 10.00. Dish would lose too much money.

Can you get just Cinemax HD for 1 penny?

So it is $29.99 for 40 HD channels, plus 1 penny for Cinemax HD, for a total of $30.00? That is an even better deal.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post

If they offer this the same as the last standalone $30 HD package they will also charge the $6 access fee because the discontinued package was not considered a base package.

If they want to hide fees this will backfire. People will call expecting a $30 package, and when fees start tipping into $40 or $50 people will hang up.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post

Quote:

Can you get just Cinemax HD for 1 penny?

So it is $29.99 for 40 HD channels, plus 1 penny for Cinemax HD, for a total of $30.00? That is an even better deal.

Quote:

If they want to hide fees this will backfire. People will call expecting a $30 package, and when fees start tipping into $40 or $50 people will hang up.

They're not going to do any of this. Look at the photo in post 49. Very simple, 40 HD channels (39 plus one PPV) for $29.99/month, no SD, first three months free, 24 month contract, receiver included. No access fee, no Cinemax for .01. I spent half an hour on the phone with a very well informed Dish rep confirming all this. I wish I would have asked him about the premiums. Available Feb 1st.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Gee, I think Ill sign up for Directv because they have all the channels Aliens wants to watch..

Thanks for your trolly input though.. Have a nice evening

Sorry, guffy1. There was a point to my post, but I should have put a winkie after it to indicate that it wasn’t an attacking post. I posted earlier in the thread that what is worthwhile to one may not be to another. So when you posted that you couldn’t think of another relevant HD channel they could add that they don’t already have, well, what is relevant to one may not be relevant to another. To ME (), it’s all about getting as many HD channels as possible. People change in life, and with that change sometimes viewing habits change. What I may not watch now, I may be interested in watching later in life. I wouldn’t have watched some of the HD channels I watch now 15 years ago. Now they are on my favorite list. So as long as channels are out there, I’m for getting as many as I can, presented in the best picture available. YMMV.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:43 AM

Curios if this will be available for existing customers as well. I'm a current customer, not under contract. I wonder if you can switch your package if you are already an existing customer without a new 2 yr commitment.

I would like to dump the unwatched SD channels that I'm paying for.