AVS Forum banner

Dish Network HDTV

325K views 3K replies 446 participants last post by  TitusTroy 
#1 ·
Current HD Channels

* = not a simulcast of the SD channel (if available), programming will vary.

2008 Available HD Channels
  1. A&E HD (9419)
  2. Animal Planet HD (9489)
  3. Big 10 Network HD (9500)
  4. Cinemax HD (9458)
  5. Discovery HD (9487)
  6. ESPN HD (9424) - MPEG2
  7. ESPN2HD (9425)
  8. Food Network HD* (9462)
  9. HBO HD (9456) - MPEG2
  10. HD Theater (9421) - MPEG2
  11. HDNet (9422) - MPEG2
  12. HDNet Movies (9423) - MPEG2
  13. HGTV HD* (9461)
  14. History Channel HD (9491)
  15. MHD (9469)
  16. National Geographic HD (9429)
  17. NBA TV HD (402)
  18. NFL Network HD (9426)
  19. NHL Network HD (403)
  20. Science Channel HD (9490)
  21. Showtime HD (9460) - MPEG2
  22. Starz HD (9435)
  23. TBS HD (9499)
  24. TLC HD (9488)
  25. TNT HD (9420) - MPEG2
  26. Universal HD (9427)
  27. Versus/Golf Channel HD (9468)

Regional Sports NetworksAvailable nationally, but local blackout rules still apply.
  1. SportsNet New York (388)

Part time RSNs and other specialty sports feeds
  1. Altitude (360)
  2. Comcast SportsNet Chicago (379)
  3. Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic (374)
  4. Comcast West (359)
  5. FSN Arizona (365)
  6. FSN Cincinnati (377)
  7. FSN Detroit (380)
  8. FSN Florida (373)
  9. FSN North (386)
  10. FSN Northwest (376)
  11. FSN Ohio (375)
  12. FSN Pittsburgh (378)
  13. FSN Prime Ticket (361)
  14. FSN Rocky Mountain (364)
  15. FSN South (370)
  16. FSN Southwest (366)
  17. FSN West (367)
  18. SportSouth (387)
  19. SportsTime Ohio (381)
  20. Sunshine Sports (372)

Other HD channels
  1. HD Events (9465) - MPEG2
  2. HD PPV (9467) - MPEG2
  3. HD PPV (531)
  4. HD PPV (534)
  5. HD PPV (535)
  6. HD PPV (536)
  7. HD PPV (537)
  8. HD PPV (539)
  9. HD PPV (540)

Announced HD Additions
Channels announced to be added by 8/1/08
  1. ActionMax HD (313)
  2. CBS College Sports HD (152)
  3. Lifetime HD (108)
  4. Lifetime Movie Network HD (109)
  5. Planet Green HD (194)
  6. Encore HD (340)
  7. HBO 2 HD (301)
  8. HBO Comedy HD (307)
  9. HBO Family HD (305)
  10. HBO Latino HD (309)
  11. HBO Signature HD (302)
  12. HBO West HD (303)
  13. HBO Zone HD (308)
  14. Starz Comedy HD (354)
  15. Starz Edge HD (352)
  16. Starz Kids & Family HD (356)
  17. Starz West HD (351)

Channels that are uplinked, but not yet available
  1. USA HD (9431)
  2. SciFi HD (9432)

Regional Sports NetworksAvailable nationally, but local blackout rules still apply.

Channels that are uplinked, but not yet available
  1. FSN Bay Area (369)
  2. FSN New York (363)
  3. MSG (362)

Current HD Channels by Dish Network Channel Number
  • 359 - Comcast West
  • 360 - Altitude
  • 361 - FSN Prime Ticket
  • 364 - FSN Rocky Mountain
  • 365 - FSN Arizona
  • 366 - FSN Southwest
  • 367 - FSN West
  • 370 - FSN South
  • 372 - Sunshine Sports
  • 373 - FSN Florida
  • 374 - Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic
  • 375 - FSN Ohio
  • 376 - FSN Northwest
  • 377 - FSN Cincinnati
  • 378 - FSN Pittsburgh
  • 379 - Comcast SportsNet Chicago
  • 380 - FSN Detroit
  • 381 - SportsTime Ohio
  • 386 - FSN North
  • 387 - SportSouth
  • 388 - SportsNet New York
  • 402 - NBA TV HD
  • 403 - NHL Network HD
  • 9419 - A&E HD
  • 9420 - TNT HD - MPEG2
  • 9421 - HD Theater - MPEG2
  • 9422 - HDNet - MPEG2
  • 9423 - HDNet Movies - MPEG2
  • 9424 - ESPN HD - MPEG2
  • 9425 - ESPN2HD
  • 9426 - NFL Network HD
  • 9427 - Universal HD
  • 9429 - National Geographic HD
  • 9435 - Starz HD
  • 9456 - HBO HD - MPEG2
  • 9458 - Cinemax HD
  • 9460 - Showtime HD - MPEG2
  • 9461 - HGTV HD
  • 9462 - Food Network HD
  • 9465 - HD Events - MPEG2
  • 9467 - HD PPV - MPEG2
  • 9468 - Versus/Golf Channel HD
  • 9469 - MHD
  • 9487 - Discovery HD
  • 9488 - TLC HD
  • 9489 - Animal Planet HD
  • 9490 - Science Channel HD
  • 9491 - History Channel HD
  • 9499 - TBS HD
  • 9500 - Big 10 Network HD

See less See more
#1,683 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblee /forum/post/19068027

Well - it is your prerogative to continue to doubt, but that doesn't make it any less true. Scott runs one of the biggest satellite TV forums on the web, and also does or has done consulting directly for Dish Network. If he says that he's confirmed it with his Dish contacts, I'd bet that it is true. He even mentions the reasoning has to do with providers who don't approve of the package and are asking for their channels to be pulled from it. So - it's a question of losing a bunch of channels or ending the package all together. It may not happen today or tomorrow, but it's definitely coming down the road.

But "it's definitely coming down the road" applies to everything.

I could proclaim tomorrow that I confirmed that the Platinum package is going to be phased out... because no doubt sometime in the next 100 years that package will be gone!

There's no substance to the rumor as yet, because no one has yet been kicked off of the Absolute package as a result of Dish contacting them and forcing them to switch.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if one day Dish did pull the plug on it... but IF they are doing so now, then they aren't doing a very good job of it. IF providers are forcing their hand, then that isn't going to change tomorrow... so why wouldn't Dish be hard selling everyone on the Absolute HD package right now? Facts are that Dish is not moving people off this package with any kind of urgency... and that is even according to people who have said Dish called them and said they needed to switch.

Right now this just doesn't have any legs, as rumors go... as Dish could tomorrow put that package to death if they truly wanted and were being forced into it.

#1,684 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblee /forum/post/19066084

Yes - there has been confirmed news. Scott who runs the site over at satelliteguys.us has confirmed it directly with Dish.

This rumor didn't start with Scott and he wasn't very emphatic about any end of Absolute. And as I said my source at Dish had not heard about any end coming last week or this week.

#1,685 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GqMagic /forum/post/19069074

This rumor didn't start with Scott and he wasn't very emphatic about any end of Absolute. And as I said my source at Dish had not heard about any end coming last week or this week.

No one said the rumor started with Scott. He followed up with Dish on what people were saying (receiving calls) and said he confirmed it.

Of the Absolute customers who responded to the survey over there, a little over 10% have received a call. Reading that thread it looks like no date has been set and people are not forced to change at this time, but are given various options or "deals" to try and get them to switch.

#1,686 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy /forum/post/19069329

No one said the rumor started with Scott. He followed up with Dish on what people were saying (receiving calls) and said he confirmed it.

Of the Absolute customers who responded to the survey over there, a little over 10% have received a call. Reading that thread it looks like no date has been set and people are not forced to change at this time, but are given various options or "deals" to try and get them to switch.

Well it kinda sounds like when the switch from mpeg 2 to mpeg 4 took place, if you had the 1st mpeg 2 hd receiver, you were not forced to go to mpeg 4, you just would not get the new channels.

Dish would always want people to switch from a lower paying package to a higher one, as do other companies trying to get their grandfathered plan holders to move. If this is all it is, its a lot of Drama for nothing.

#1,689 ·
I was one of the first to get a call. What was confirmed is that it was from Dish and was legitimate. I didn't do anything because I was leaving on vacation the next day.

I just got back and to verify the information, I called Dish corporate in Denver yesterday. They told me that the call was legitimate, but that I should not have been told that the Absolute was being discontinued at this time. Whether that was a change in plans is up for debate. I also asked why just some of us had received the call and was told that it was done selectively using criteria from account activity, billing options and payment history. She said not everyone would receive the offer.

I went ahead and took the offer since I've always wanted RSN's and it was worth the change. I selected the AT200 which really only left out one channel (VS) that I really cared about. The addition of AMC, FX, BBCA, TCM, Fox News also helped make the change worthwhile. Since Platinum isn't important to me it made my decision easier. I would imagine some parents that lost ABCfam and Disney would consider a change also. I heard comments from others that they would jump at the chance to change at those prices to get the RSN's which has always been the bane of Absolute.

The good thing is that if you received an offer and have reason to change, it's a decent offer on their part. If you don't want to change, it's nice to know that it's not going away right now. The reason it was believable was that a number of us were told the same thing (I was told more than once about the discontinuation) and we all know that the price on that package is going to put pressure on it's continuation in the long run.

It was poorly handled on the part of Dish from the start and feedback may have deterred their plans. For those of you that consider the info alarmist, all that was posted was the facts as I knew them. I double checked info before any post and even followed up again with the call yesterday. If any of the naysayers were that interested, they could have done the same.

Whatever, it worked out well for me. Going to close and tune in to the Rockies game.

#1,690 ·
FYI...

I never really doubted that the people who said they received calls were making that up. Originally, however, I did question whether or not it was actually Dish calling or another infamous reseller trying to pull a fast one.

Once it seemed to be settled that it was in fact Dish calling... my only remaining doubt was the "confirmation" that the Absolute HD package was going away and that everyone would be forced off it.

I don't know if Dish was testing the waters to see the reaction... if they truly intended to force people off and changed their minds because of the backlash... or if it was a semi-random thing to try and get some folks to switch just to see if they could.

#1,691 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/0

Turbo HD is called Dish America HD now. It's still available AFAIK.

National HD channels are on sats located at 61.5, 72.7, 129, 110.

Thanks. I couldn't remember if they put up a channel or two on the new 119 sat.

However, I don't think the HD stuff on 110 is mirrored to 61.5 or 72.7. I think 61.5/72.7 has the stuff that's on 129.

61.5/72.7 mirror 110 and 129. The 110 stuff is on 61.5 at the moment as well as 129 prior to feb 10 2010. 72.7 has 129 after. This is sritcly national programing only. Ymmv depending on local markets for rsn and locals.

#1,694 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest /forum/post/19159213

Considering the channel location it would appear it's going into the Platinum package?

I think so since theres No SD counterpart to this channel

#1,695 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishprince317 /forum/post/19159148

It appears the Sony Movie Channel launches on October 1st ch. 386

It could possibly not launch on October 1st.

Knowing E*, something immediately could happen causing the launch to fail.

As said about a year ago, I'll believe it when I see it.

ha

But yeah, this would be cool. I'm interested.

#1,699 ·
I did search on this but was not clear on the answer:

I have DirecTV now, with a Slim 5 dish (zipcode 27513). If I sign up for Dish Network America's Top 200 channels (no extras, other than local channels), will they install one dish, and will it point more or less in the same direction?

If not, can I request just one dish? How much extra will it be?

Thanks!

#1,700 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by abward /forum/post/19211731

I did search on this but was not clear on the answer:

I have DirecTV now, with a Slim 5 dish (zipcode 27513). If I sign up for Dish Network America's Top 200 channels (no extras, other than local channels), will they install one dish, and will it point more or less in the same direction?

If not, can I request just one dish? How much extra will it be?

Thanks!

In NC I would expect as a new Dish customer they would want to put you on their single-dish eastern-arc configuration... so unless they have issues seeing 61.5/72/77 then you should get the single-dish config that you hope for, though it would be pointing in a different direction than your DirecTV and probably would not be able to use the same mounting bracket.

#1,701 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 /forum/post/19211956

In NC I would expect as a new Dish customer they would want to put you on their single-dish eastern-arc configuration... so unless they have issues seeing 61.5/72/77 then you should get the single-dish config that you hope for, though it would be pointing in a different direction than your DirecTV and probably would not be able to use the same mounting bracket.

Thanks. I have a 4' high pole that I cemented into the ground a few years ago that the DirecTV mounts on. Would they be able to use an adapter or something to make it fit?

Also, what compass direction and elevation would I be needing a clear sight to? I potentially would have a tree problem if it is significantly different than DirecTV.

#1,702 ·
I did a search and was not able to come up with anything that quite matched what I was looking for.

I recently got Dish HD, and when I first got it I was disappointed by the HD quality compared to Charter. I had read that Dish and DirecTV both had better picture quality than cable HD. Oddly, though, the picture quality seems to have improved after a couple of days. Was it just me or is it possible that something actually happened to improve the picture? I did make changes to the TV settings but I wouldn't expect a noticeable difference in crispness of the picture.

#1,703 ·
FOX Blocks Regional Sports Channels From DISH Network Viewers

Programmer Seeks to Shake Down DISH Network and its Customers with Massive Rate Increase

Download image ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Oct. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- (Nasdaq: DISH) -- DISH Network L.L.C. reports today that FOX Networks is blocking DISH Network's access to 19 FOX Regional Sports Networks and other programming. FOX is demanding a new contract with an unprecedented rate increase of more than 50 percent. FOX's removal of the channels follows the programmer's national TV, print and web advertising campaign designed to intimidate DISH Network and its customers into paying the rate increase. FOX has flatly refused DISH Network's request to allow customers to continue to watch these FOX channels during the negotiations.

These negotiations with FOX do not affect local FOX TV stations, FOX News or FOX Business News.

"DISH Network is not going to allow FOX or any programmer to bully our customers into paying such an unconscionable price increase," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "FOX has a long history of trying to shake down pay TV providers, including Cablevision, Time Warner, and Bright House."

Shull continued, "Our customers should not be held hostage in order to finance FOX's irresponsible acquisition of sports rights. Consumers are already burdened enough in this challenging economy."

DISH Network will continue to negotiate in good faith for a fair deal with FOX to help restore the sports programming and prevent outrageous rate increases in this challenging economic environment. In the meantime, during the FOX lockout, DISH Network will make the following channels available to all affected customers at no additional charge: HD Net Movies, HD Theater, NBA TV, New England Sports Network, NFL Network, NHL Network, Altitude Sports, Big Ten Network, Comcast SportsNet California, Comcast SportsNet Chicago, Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, Comcast Sports Network Mid-Atlantic, Comcast Sports New England, ESPN Classic, FOX Sports Northwest, FOX Sports Pittsburgh, FOX Sports Rocky Mountain, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network2, SportsNet New York, and SportsTime Ohio.

DISH Network has created a series of websites to help inform consumers about the nature of this dispute:

www.FoxShakedownDISH.com ,

www.WeOfferedFoxAFairDeal.com ,

www.FoxRefused.com ,

www.HowMuchMoreCanWeTake.com .

For additional information about DISH Network's fight for consumer choice, visit

www.DISHWillContinueToFightForCustomers.com ,

www.ForceFedChannels.com ,

www.JoinTheFightAgainstFox.com .

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...104138783.html

#1,704 ·
Fox Pulls Nets From Dish

Impasse Over Rates, Retrans Deal Looms

Mike Farrell -- Multichannel News, 10/1/2010 7:01:25 AM

Fox pulled a number of cable channels and regional sports networks from Dish Network Oct. 1 as the midnight (Pacific Time) deadline passed without a carriage agreement, possibly setting the tone for a much nastier retransmission consent fight for Fox broadcasting stations next month.

As expected, Fox pulled FX, National Geographic Channel and 19 regional sports networks from Dish subscribers. As of 7 a.m. Eastern Time, no deal had been reached.

As is usual in carriage disputes, the main impasse appears to be over rates. Dish claims that Fox is asking for a more than 50% increase in carriage fees for the networks (which Fox disputes), a boost that the satellite carrier believes is unwarranted.

"Dish Network is not going to allow Fox or any programmer to bully our customers into paying such an unconscionable price increase," Dish senior vice president of programming Dave Shull said in a statement. "Fox has a long history of trying to shake down pay TV providers, including Cablevision, Time Warner, and Bright House."

In the meantime, Dish said it is making the following channels available to its customers at no additional charge while the dispute lasts: HD Net Movies, HD Theater, NBA TV, New England Sports Network, NFL Network, NHL Network, Altitude Sports, Big Ten Network, Comcast SportsNet California, Comcast SportsNet Chicago, Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, Comcast Sports Network Mid-Atlantic, Comcast Sports New England, ESPN Classic, FOX Sports Northwest, FOX Sports Pittsburgh, FOX Sports Rocky Mountain, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network2, SportsNet New York, and SportsTime Ohio.

"Our customers should not be held hostage in order to finance Fox's irresponsible acquisition of sports rights. Consumers are already burdened enough in this challenging economy," Shull continued.

Fox countered that it is only asking for fair compensation for its networks. And it warned that Dish subscribers could face the same problems with its Fox broadcast and MyNetwork TV stations come Nov. 1, when its retransmission consent deals expire with the satellite giant.

"At midnight on Sept. 30, Dish Network decided to no longer carry Fox Networks cable programming," Fox said in a statement. "The proposal we've offered Dish is fair and in line with the tremendous value we provide. We regret the inconvenience to our viewers, but Dish has asserted its subscribers do not value our channels and has made a decision to go forward without them. Fox fans who wish to learn about alternative providers in their area are encouraged to visit www.getwhatipaidfor.com for more information."

Among Fox's recommendations on the site is for Dish subscribers to switch to DirecTV, FiOs, AT&T U-Verse or their local cable operator.

Fox and Dish both have a history of tough negotiations over carriage agreements. The programmer has had high profile retrans battles with Time Warner Cable and is currently locked in a dispute with Cablevision.

Dish has not been afraid to allow networks to fall off in past negotiations - About 10 Viacom cable networks including MTV and Nickelodeon and 15 CBS broadcast stations went dark for two days on Dish in 2004 and Lifetime channels met the same fate for several weeks in 2006. This year, Fuse network fell from the satellite giant's lineup in July and HD feeds for Disney Channel, Disney XD, ESPNews and ABC Family all fell off in June and remain so.

While Dish may seem to have the upper hand in this carriage fight - in the short term, Major League Baseball's regular season ends this week, with all but a couple of races decided, while the National Hockey League doesn't face off its 2010-11 campaign until Oct. 7 - it could be in for a battle come November. By that time, Fox broadcasting stations will be well into Major League Baseball's World Series (beginning Oct. 27), not to mention weekend airings of National Football League games.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/..._From_Dish.php

#1,707 ·
As of Friday, October 1, 2010 at 8:40 AM CST I still have FX-HD, SD and NatGeo-HD, and SD.

I hate their scrolling spam. Ruins it for DVR'ed programming.

I might be switching to AT&T once E* drops these channels. Then again, 3 months later Dishnetwork will ADD them again and I will have failed by switching to AT&T

I hate dishnetwork sometimes.

I can quote myself! I win. I told avsforum that I bet Dishnetwork would take away my favorite channels, including FX-HD.
Do I get a cookie for being a smart 'economist'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.