Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2131 of 2580 Old 11-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At first it was just 1 recording. Now, it seems to be affecting more and more recordings, so it seems to be a degenerative condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2580 Old 11-04-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
well no one seems to be able to explain why the dish guide is so slow on ponderous to operate. takes minutes to scroll through channels 2-419

neflixis our nemesis
post #2133 of 2580 Old 11-04-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

well no one seems to be able to explain why the dish guide is so slow on ponderous to operate. takes minutes to scroll through channels 2-419

never seen that
post #2134 of 2580 Old 11-04-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Me neither. I can go about a page per second on my 722, as fast as I can read. Are you using the arrows or the page buttons?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2135 of 2580 Old 11-07-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Me neither. I can go about a page per second on my 722, as fast as I can read. Are you using the arrows or the page buttons?

arrows. could that be the cause?

neflixis our nemesis
post #2136 of 2580 Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Use the page buttons, first because it pages rather than goes down one channel at a time. Second because you tax the receiver less with commands that can slow it down....

Bobby 

post #2137 of 2580 Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

arrows. could that be the cause?

I don't think so, my guide scrolls channel by channel with the arrow key as fast as I can press it.
post #2138 of 2580 Old 11-07-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

My question is will switching to DirecTV give me more consistent PQ over time?

The consensus is yes DirectTV has better PQ, but it's not huge like *cough* AT&T vs anyone else. DirecTV is more susceptible to rain fade.

Now, consistently bad? Methinks you might have something wrong with your equipment like a bad LNB, etc.

Dish's HD PQ should appear slightly smoothed or DNR'd due to the lower resolution and lower bitrates. You shouldn't see a lot of artifacts. If you do, something is likely wrong with your setup.
post #2139 of 2580 Old 11-25-2011, 04:43 PM
97w

I currently own two properties 100 miles apart. I have a Dish account on each house for my TV receptions. Inasmuch as I travel from house to house each week, the receivers are only being used 50% of the time, I am considering cancelling one of the Dish accounts and sharing my Dual #722 receiver between the 2 properties. Is anyone currently doing this? If so, are there any special requirements needed.
post #2140 of 2580 Old 11-26-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97w View Post

I currently own two properties 100 miles apart. I have a Dish account on each house for my TV receptions. Inasmuch as I travel from house to house each week, the receivers are only being used 50% of the time, I am considering cancelling one of the Dish accounts and sharing my Dual #722 receiver between the 2 properties. Is anyone currently doing this? If so, are there any special requirements needed.

If DISH works like the "other" service, you are supposed to be connected to a phone line if you have some services. (We never did.)
Are you going to just move the one box between the two addresses (would be a pain), or have 2 boxes on one account. Normally, you would be required to be connected to a phone line - to prevent 2 people from sharing one account. Again, don't know if DISH checks this via phone connection or not.
With lots of people ditching their landlines, maybe you can now have 2 boxes on one account w.o. connecting to a phone line.
post #2141 of 2580 Old 11-28-2011, 01:59 PM
97w

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

If DISH works like the "other" service, you are supposed to be connected to a phone line if you have some services. (We never did.)
Are you going to just move the one box between the two addresses (would be a pain), or have 2 boxes on one account. Normally, you would be required to be connected to a phone line - to prevent 2 people from sharing one account. Again, don't know if DISH checks this via phone connection or not.
With lots of people ditching their landlines, maybe you can now have 2 boxes on one account w.o. connecting to a phone line.

Called DISH and we are able to have one account with two receivers. One receiver may be leased, the other we have to purchase. The only need for a land line is for Video on Demand. Thanks for your response.
post #2142 of 2580 Old 12-01-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I lost a bunch of shows in the 300 channels. is this happening to anyone else or did my free promo they gave me run out?

if so i will have to get on the phone and tell them i'm thinking of quitting, they usually will offer you something to stop thinking that way

neflixis our nemesis
post #2143 of 2580 Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 70
So, I am going through a slight Dish hell right now. My vip722 is having overheating issues, there is no way its running at the temps it says, but it makes it give the 355 warning. They sent me a replacement today. It came with a bad digital audio out socket, the cable wont stay in. I called them and they said they would overnight me another. I said tomorrow is Saturday and the guy said they deliver Saturday.

Of course that's not true in this case and tracking says Monday. So I spoke with them again and got $60 credit for 12 months, $5 bucks a month off. This isn't the 1st time I have had to replace my 722. I am running it with the cover off just so it wont overheat. I have a feeling the temp sensor is screwed up, cause its not very hot to the touch at all.

Has anyone ever taken the hard drive out of their old one and put it in the new one just to save all the recordings? I am planning on doing that. Its not hard to do, just hoping it will work, which I think it will.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #2144 of 2580 Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 119
When you change out the the HD you will be breaking seals that will cost you a ton of cash later when you turn the new one in. You will pay full price for the DVR. You can get an external hard drive and transfer all of your existing recordings over to it and then bring them back in on the new DVR. There is no charge to add the EHD except the price of the EHD. The EHD must be self powered, not USB powered. All you do is plug the EHD into the USB connection on the front or back of the DVR and it will ask to format. You say yes and it will set up just fine.

Bobby 

post #2145 of 2580 Old 12-03-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

When you change out the the HD you will be breaking seals that will cost you a ton of cash later when you turn the new one in. You will pay full price for the DVR. You can get an external hard drive and transfer all of your existing recordings over to it and then bring them back in on the new DVR. There is no charge to add the EHD except the price of the EHD. The EHD must be self powered, not USB powered. All you do is plug the EHD into the USB connection on the front or back of the DVR and it will ask to format. You say yes and it will set up just fine.

These are refurb models being sent, there isn't a seal to worry about. I have already swapped the hard drive on the one they sent me, I just didn't get to see if it worked cause since the socket for the cable was bad it never got ran. I already know about getting a external to transfer data, just trying to avoid buying one.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #2146 of 2580 Old 12-03-2011, 12:34 PM

Any suggestions on replacing a dead 622 DVR? the hard drive died on it and I don't have the service plan. Been like that for a couple of months, just too lazy to do much about it yet. It still works as a tuner, but I'm paying the DVR fee and not getting the function. If I just add the service plan back on, should I be able to get it replaced? I was also thinking about swapping it for 2 non-dvr HD receivers, as we are about to add a 3rd HD set and I already have a 722 on the main TV. I just added the 722 11 months ago for free, anyone know if I will likely get charged to add some plain receivers in exchange for an old HD one?
post #2147 of 2580 Old 12-05-2011, 06:09 PM

[quote=bobby94928;21294610]When you change out the the HD you will be breaking seals that will cost you a ton of cash later when you turn the new one in. You will pay full price for the DVR. You can get an external hard drive and transfer all of your existing recordings over to it and then bring them back in on the new DVR. There is no charge to add the EHD except the price of the EHD. The EHD must be self powered, not USB powered. All you do is plug the EHD into the USB connection on the front or back of the DVR and it will ask to format. You say yes and it will set up just fine.[/QUOATE?]

No more $40 one time charge to activate the usb?

In San Antonio Texas, dish just added the HD feed for local PBS # 9 & KCWX #2. Still need the CW in HD # 35, but glad to have the other two as over air signal is very weak and difficult to pick up.
post #2148 of 2580 Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLRIVER View Post

No more $40 one time charge to activate the usb?

That charge was removed from all but the 211.

post #2149 of 2580 Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C T Riopelle View Post

Any suggestions on replacing a dead 622 DVR? the hard drive died on it and I don't have the service plan. Been like that for a couple of months, just too lazy to do much about it yet. It still works as a tuner, but I'm paying the DVR fee and not getting the function. If I just add the service plan back on, should I be able to get it replaced? I was also thinking about swapping it for 2 non-dvr HD receivers, as we are about to add a 3rd HD set and I already have a 722 on the main TV. I just added the 722 11 months ago for free, anyone know if I will likely get charged to add some plain receivers in exchange for an old HD one?

Add the service plan, then call them to get it replaced.
post #2150 of 2580 Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

That charge was removed from all but the 211.

Cool, good to know, Thanks
post #2151 of 2580 Old 12-15-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

what happenend to all the movie chanels in the 300s?

hd net movies is gone
encore gone
mgm gone
sony gone
epix gone

wtf?

neflixis our nemesis
post #2152 of 2580 Old 12-15-2011, 04:06 PM

They are all still there for me. Must be something up on your end.
post #2153 of 2580 Old 12-15-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

what happenend to all the movie chanels in the 300s?

hd net movies is gone
encore gone
mgm gone
sony gone
epix gone

wtf?

Did you automatically get signed up for Blockbuster Movie Pass and immediately cancel it because you did not sign up for it?

Blockbuster Movie Pass is now the HD-Platinum aka $10/month package. I learned the hard way. Although, I'm glad I finally reduced my bill.

Good luck!
post #2154 of 2580 Old 01-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'm sure this has been discussed before but who is the nitwit trainer that teaches the Dish call center staff that tuner = DVR?

I called tonight because I'm thinking about dumping DirecTV. The guy that I spoke with was nice enough, but I repeatedly stated that my needs include the ability to record 4 shows simultaneously. After at least 15 minutes on the phone he was ready to have me set up with just one 722 receiver because that has "2 DVRs".

Adding a second 722 sent the bill to what I'm spending now.

He or his supervisor is suppose to call me back with an offer tomorrow. I doubt it will entice me though.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #2155 of 2580 Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post

I'm sure this has been discussed before but who is the nitwit trainer that teaches the Dish call center staff that tuner = DVR?

I called tonight because I'm thinking about dumping DirecTV. The guy that I spoke with was nice enough, but I repeatedly stated that my needs include the ability to record 4 shows simultaneously. After at least 15 minutes on the phone he was ready to have me set up with just one 722 receiver because that has "2 DVRs".

Adding a second 722 sent the bill to what I'm spending now.

He or his supervisor is suppose to call me back with an offer tomorrow. I doubt it will entice me though.

Mr Zoid

There will be some news at CES this week that you should wait to hear before going with any Dish DVR out now, esp. if you want that 4 show capability. Or go look at the satelliteguys website, where they've got some info on the new technology. The CSR's will probably be the last to know regardless.
post #2156 of 2580 Old 01-08-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Definitely wait a week due to big changes as stated above. But to answer your other question, the 722K can record 4 simultaneous streams - 2 Sat and 2 OTA. So with Dish's current offerings, you'd need 2 duo DVRs to record 4 Sat streams.

post #2157 of 2580 Old 01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonesCat View Post

There will be some news at CES this week that you should wait to hear before going with any Dish DVR out now, esp. if you want that 4 show capability.

That's new MRV DVR ONLY has 3 sat tuners...
post #2158 of 2580 Old 01-08-2012, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'm a little disheartened. I never heard back from anyone today, so I called back and flat out canceled my installation.

Why they insist of reffering to a tuner as a DVR is beyond me. The rest of the industry calls it a tuner. I vocalized this to the account manager who completed the cancellation.

I have a few week window in which to cancel my DirecTV account without incurring any ETFs, so I don't have time to wait on a future piece of hardware either.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #2159 of 2580 Old 01-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post

I'm a little disheartened. I never heard back from anyone today, so I called back and flat out canceled my installation.

Why they insist of reffering to a tuner as a DVR is beyond me. The rest of the industry calls it a tuner. I vocalized this to the account manager who completed the cancellation.

I have a few week window in which to cancel my DirecTV account without incurring any ETFs, so I don't have time to wait on a future piece of hardware either.

Mr Zoid

This reminds me of that SNL skit the other night about "White People's Problems." lol
post #2160 of 2580 Old 01-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page