post #211 of 2581 Old 01-19-2008, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

You realize once your transition is complete, the pendulum will have swung the other way?

That is what happens when you chase the envelops edge.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2581 Old 01-19-2008, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So for only $30 a month I can get only HD if I choose to do so? Without paying extra for the SD channels? AND the local HD channels are included?
post #213 of 2581 Old 01-19-2008, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Locals are $5 more.
post #214 of 2581 Old 01-19-2008, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

So for only $30 a month I can get only HD if I choose to do so? Without paying extra for the SD channels? AND the local HD channels are included?

No HD RSN either..Supposedly one will need Americas Top 100 for that.
post #215 of 2581 Old 01-19-2008, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You realize once your transition is complete, the pendulum will have swung the other way?

I was waiting for you to say that and I know it is tongue in cheek. One can only make the best of judgment based on one's own experience.

So let's review:

When both D* and E* started HD almost 10 years ago I jumped on them both, but not until the price of the HD equipment dropped to around $300 and an HD set special I got was $3,000. Today all the old HD boxes are in the closet, but my nearly 8 year old Pioneer 53" 1080i set is still kicking, producing PQ that rivals my new Panny 50" 1080p plasma.

When Comcast came out with no cost HDDVR leases in 2004, we jumped on them and had a lot of fun for a year, then E*'s $199 HDDVR lease came about we switched and got a second 622 for free, was able to enjoy the best HD at the time for over a year.

I hope history repeats itself but if E* responds in 2008, I will have no regrets only joy that more competition is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

That is what happens when you chase the envelops edge.

Life is too short to be sealed in all the time

Back then we had HBOHD and SHOHD free for quite awhile from E* (the only two HD channels anywhere at the time), and my D* DTC100 could only occasionally get the single HD feed from PBSHD (KQED) from San Francisco in a good night weather 90 miles away through OTA.

When CBS HD came around, our local then Sinclair owned CBS station refused to go HD, until a bunch of us local HD folks wrote to FCC, and our CBS station became the ONLY such Sinclair station in the nation to go HD and remained so for many years. As an industry insider I am sure you know exactly what I am talking about

Boy the good old days.
post #216 of 2581 Old 01-19-2008, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I don't have the patience or the money to convert, or the budget to carry both - so I just suffer the low points and complain.
post #217 of 2581 Old 01-19-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If D* had this I would sub to it.
post #218 of 2581 Old 01-19-2008, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Which is why D* likely won't. Too many would.

It strikes me the same way it does jacmyoung - and the same way I viewed some of D*'s "specials" relating to HD customers for the past 2 or 3 years. Designed to lock in HD customers and reduce attrition until they could become more competitive. More about short term appeasement than a sign of becoming competitively aggressive.

D*'s move from 1 to 2 years on "advanced" STBs and the 6 months free HD pack, etc. were more blatant.
post #219 of 2581 Old 01-19-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have the patience or the money to convert, or the budget to carry both - so I just suffer the low points and complain.

If you noticed part of my story was to show that we actually saved a lot by switching.

BTW my D* install was a total disaster, I wouldn't bore you with the detail but is in the process of talking to D* retention for a reschedule.

Yes I am talking to D* retention even though I do not really even exist with D* yet.

Now Panther what was that you tried to warn me about?
post #220 of 2581 Old 01-19-2008, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe it's my own bias, but I view a major Hollywood released movie as more widely relevant than a regional sporting event.

That is correct. I for one do NOT sub to any premium movie channels, but I do pay for Sports Pack. Widely relevant is NOT a criteria in whether a channel is national or not. I can think of a set of 15 channels that I do not personally consider widely relevant, but I do consider are national channels anyhow.

Not sure the reason for an argument - to me if a channel is thrown on a CONUS beam, and can be purchased by a customer regardless of geography, it is a national offering by the satco.

If if CANNOT be purchased other than certain specific DMA or territory, it is either local or regional.

The value to an individual of a particular channel plays no importance in this.
post #221 of 2581 Old 01-19-2008, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmyoung View Post

If you noticed part of my story was to show that we actually saved a lot by switching.

BTW my D* install was a total disaster, I wouldn't bore you with the detail but is in the process of talking to D* retention for a reschedule.

I've gotten to the point where I have them install/tweak the dish and drop off any hardware (and run any wires through the soffit, if needed) - and I'll sign whatever they want me to that says the job was completed. I'll do any wiring, multiswitches, splitters, etc.
post #222 of 2581 Old 01-19-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoBuck View Post

Not sure the reason for an argument - to me if a channel is thrown on a CONUS beam, and can be purchased by a customer regardless of geography, it is a national offering by the satco.

Shouldn't the actual amount of time a so-called 'national' channel actually broadcasts something be taken into consideration?

I mean, if a channel broadcasts HD content 24/7 whether its premium or not can pretty much be called a channel by all practical definitions.

But if a channel only broadcasts HD content one day a week, only 17 or 18 weeks out of the year, arguably you can call that a national channel in some sense, but then you can probably only legitimately call it a national channel IF and WHEN its actually broadcasting something. If its not broadcasting anything a majority of the time, then what is it when its not broadcasting...still a channel ?!?

I'm sorry, but if I can't flip on my HDTV at any time, switch to a channel, and actually watch something on it...than its not a national channel worth counting...thats why I stick to the basics...
post #223 of 2581 Old 01-19-2008, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Posted by Vampz26:
Quote:

But if a channel only broadcasts HD content one day a week, only 17 or 18 weeks out of the year, arguably you can call that a national channel in some sense, but then you can probably only legitimately call it a national channel IF and WHEN its actually broadcasting something. If its not broadcasting anything a majority of the time, then what is it when its not broadcasting...still a channel ?!?

A perfect description of NFLHD!
post #224 of 2581 Old 01-20-2008, 08:24 AM

Is there some secret code to talking to an E* rep who's here in the States and who actually has accurate information about planned HD channels and packages? My 150FD arrives tomorrow and I need to make a decision on an HD provider soon. I've been an E* subscriber for about 12 years and have been relatively satisified and would prefer to stay with them as long as their programming, equipment and prices are competitive.

Thanks.

JC
post #225 of 2581 Old 01-20-2008, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

You'll find out online long before there's a CSR or E* Rep giving the info out over the phone.
post #226 of 2581 Old 01-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've gotten to the point where I have them install/tweak the dish and drop off any hardware (and run any wires through the soffit, if needed) - and I'll sign whatever they want me to that says the job was completed. I'll do any wiring, multiswitches, splitters, etc.

They had my signal level reading 40 inside the vip722 (about 60 off a signal meter). I had to move it myself the next weekend. Now its over 90 on a standard signal meter and 71-72 in the vip722 diagnostic menu.
post #227 of 2581 Old 01-20-2008, 03:33 PM

Out of the 40 possible channels-I saw som of the posts about not all the channels being on 24/7, anyone know what channels they are or have a possible line up available for the $30 offer>
post #228 of 2581 Old 01-20-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

All channels they listed for the HD Pack are full time (24/7) channels.

They may not be 24/7 HD, but that's all up to the network, not E*.
post #229 of 2581 Old 01-20-2008, 09:01 PM

Sigh.

Less than 24 hours until WWE starts their heavily-promoted switch to HD, and Dish Network still doesn't carry USA-HD.

I hate you, Dish Network. I hate you.
post #230 of 2581 Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ray View Post

Sigh.

Less than 24 hours until WWE starts their heavily-promoted switch to HD, and Dish Network still doesn't carry USA-HD.

dont worry, WWE hasnt been worth watching since the 1990's.
post #231 of 2581 Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

why does e* keep all the empty and duplicate channels on the hd show guide. it really ticks me off when i have to scroll through all that garbage when i'm trying to find what's on. come on dish clean that up

They RUINED a perfectly good guide about six months ago. It's one of the reasons I dropped them.
post #232 of 2581 Old 01-21-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Credible View Post

Is there some secret code to talking to an E* rep who's here in the States?

Thanks.

JC

There, I fixed it for you.
post #233 of 2581 Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampz26 View Post

Shouldn't the actual amount of time a so-called 'national' channel actually broadcasts something be taken into consideration?

I mean, if a channel broadcasts HD content 24/7 whether its premium or not can pretty much be called a channel by all practical definitions.

I'm sorry, but if I can't flip on my HDTV at any time, switch to a channel, and actually watch something on it...than its not a national channel worth counting...thats why I stick to the basics...

Personally, I couldn't care how you count what is or what is not a channel.

To me its choice, and the more the merrier. It seems with the 87 HD channels or so that are available, there is usually more than enough different HD programs to choose from - and that from month to month, most of the channels are increasing their offerings (like WWE-HD and so on). Gosh, I even count the VOOM channels on DISH that repeat the same 2 movies all day (what a joke IMHO).

I don't feel any better, or worse if the number of channels in your opinion is 10, 30, 50, 100 or ZERO.
post #234 of 2581 Old 01-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

They RUINED a perfectly good guide about six months ago. It's one of the reasons I dropped them.

Its very easy to create a list that only has the HD channels you care about listed.
post #235 of 2581 Old 01-21-2008, 05:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post

Its very easy to create a list that only has the HD channels you care about listed.

Indeed, it's one of the first things I did when I got the 622.
post #236 of 2581 Old 01-21-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post

You used to put in your time zone and Dish HD programming and you got a schedule of Dish's HD channels (surprise). Now you get 40 pages of garbage. I'm glad it's so easy for you, but for me it was a pain in the a** to have to configure what worked perfectly in the past.
post #237 of 2581 Old 01-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'm going with the HD only package has soon has NESN HD 24/7 lauches soon, the deal is signed with E* just has to shuffle around channels to light up the spotbeams on 61.5 to add it.
post #238 of 2581 Old 01-22-2008, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Indeed, it's one of the first things I did when I got the 622.

The problem with this is any new channels will not show up in your custom guide. One time I missed out on a newly added channel by two weeks until I learned on the forum.

Of course the way things are today you probably don't have to worry too much about new channels.
post #239 of 2581 Old 01-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 30
This pricing plan has been confirmed over on tvpredictions.com

http://www.tvpredictions.com/dish012208.htm
post #240 of 2581 Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ray View Post

Sigh.

More HD and fun in person.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page