post #241 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmyoung View Post

One time I missed out on a newly added channel by two weeks until I learned on the forum.

Did they medevac you to the nearest trauma center or were they able to revive you at home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

This pricing plan has been confirmed over on tvpredictions.com

http://www.tvpredictions.com/dish012208.htm

70 channels to be included in that plan now? No way..
post #243 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott72 View Post

As much as it pains me to discuss this, the boneheads at E* are counting those continuous "DishHD Logo channels of ever nothing on" as...well....actual channels...

I don't, but they do...go figure...
post #244 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 58
That article comes third hand - I wouldn't bank on 70 channels yet based on how brief the referenced article was.

Unless they have had second thoughts about the $5 for all the RSNs.

tvpredictions got their info from here:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/new...ticle_ID=11928
post #245 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Did they medevac you to the nearest trauma center or were they able to revive you at home?

I did not need any but the same could not be said of my 622
post #246 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

That article comes third hand - I wouldn't bank on 70 channels yet based on how brief the referenced article was.

Unless they have had second thoughts about the $5 for all the RSNs.

tvpredictions got their info from here:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/new...ticle_ID=11928

Sounded pretty clear to me the only separately sold sports HDs this tier can have are NHL HD and NBA HD.
post #247 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

That's what it sounded like, but their CES display showed a $5 charge for the RSNs (and Top 120 Plus required).

They might have revised their plan, but I'd wait for something a little more official before banking on it.
post #248 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

I found this out about Dish's 100 channel HD claim but I think it deserves its own thread:

I just confirmed this with a Dish rep:

$29.99/month TOTAL(!!!) for 40 HD channels, no SD channels. It requires a 2 year commitment and doesn't include a DVR, just an HD receiver. I quit DISH last year after years of "bill creep," this suits me just fine. SD looks like crap on my TV anyway and I can get my locals OTA. It's an HD cheapskate's dream come true. You can't place your order until February 1st, so don't bother calling until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

This pricing plan has been confirmed over on tvpredictions.com

Umm, I'm no Swanni, but I confirmed it with a rep (it took a few calls) back on the 9th (see first quote). So much for another Swanni scoop.

Quote:

I'm extremely skeptical. That is way too good to be true, and like our mommas told us...
post #249 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

If the 24 channels added this year are included, that puts it right up to 64. That's not what the blurb says - it suggests that it will include 70 channels (presumably) at the 2/1 rollout, but perhaps when a more detailed followup comes through they may be more specific.
post #250 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampz26 View Post

As much as it pains me to discuss this, the boneheads at E* are counting those continuous "DishHD Logo channels of ever nothing on" as...well....actual channels...

I don't, but they do...go figure...

Yes, this is really false advertising. As stupid as it is D* has been doing the same kind of thing for years. I never liked it much when they advertised they had X # of hd channels and I didn't qualify for half of them. I say they add 70 more hd logo channels and catch up with D*.
post #251 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like The Weather Channel will be coming to E* in June. It will be interesting to see if the PQ will be like the network morning shows or more like Jeopardy. I’m hoping like the morning shows (which I don’t watch, just surf by) because I’m not overly impressed with Jeopardy. I’m assuming Jeopardy is film and not video because the clarity is not crisp like you see on most programs shot on video.
post #252 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:

I'm assuming Jeopardy is film and not video because the clarity is not crisp like you see on most programs shot on video.

You're kidding, right? It's a Sony production, not Kodak...

Besides, other than kinetoscopes for archiving, I don't think there has ever been a game show shot on film.
post #253 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post

Yes, this is really false advertising. As stupid as it is D* has been doing the same kind of thing for years. I never liked it much when they advertised they had X # of hd channels and I didn't qualify for half of them. I say they add 70 more hd logo channels and catch up with D*.

Yeah, I had this avoidance of the true HD channel count.

Dish had been pretty good, and up until last September, their ads stated 38 or 39 HD channels. Then when D* started to pad their numbers, and Comcast started to call VOD-HD as "HD choices", then dish magically went up to 70 HD channels over night by adding PPV-HD, NBA-HD, NHL-HD, HD-Alt, and BIG10 Mirror channels (that rarely have content) to their HD Count.

At least they weren't lying when they did indeed have the lead.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #254 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

You're kidding, right? It's a Sony production, not Kodak...

Besides, other than kinetoscopes for archiving, I don't think there has ever been a game show shot on film.

No I wasn't kidding, I just wasn't thinking when I posted.
post #255 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 04:09 PM

I'm looking to make the switch from Time Warner to Dish. I don't want to part with Road Runner though. Is it possible to have both Dish and Road Runner?
post #256 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchneider84 View Post

I'm looking to make the switch from Time Warner to Dish. I don't want to part with Road Runner though. Is it possible to have both Dish and Road Runner?

I do but they charge you more if you don't have another service. I'm currently paying $0.99 for local channels to get the $15 or so roadrunner discount Not sure what to do when the year is up though. Maybe go earthlink.
post #257 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:

No I wasn't kidding, I just wasn't thinking when I posted.

Coffee, my friend. It'll keep you awake and make you jittery enough to fight back dirty in the Blu-ray/HD DVD forums....
post #258 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Coffee, my friend. It'll keep you awake and make you jittery enough to fight back dirty in the Blu-ray/HD DVD forums....

Gave it up and went to Green Tea (the real deal whole leaf tea) in October, and have been popping Ginkgo Biloba pills for the last 8 months. Just when I thought I was making progress, this sh*t happens.
post #259 of 2572 Old 01-24-2008, 09:43 PM

So if Dish's lineup sucks, Voom channels are worthless, they are slow at adding channels and the ones they do offer have alot of PPV, why do so many people use Dish or stay with it instead of going to Direct who seems to have more channels, better lineup and the quality is better (from what I read)?
post #260 of 2572 Old 01-24-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin1021 View Post

So if Dish's lineup sucks, Voom channels are worthless, they are slow at adding channels and the ones they do offer have alot of PPV, why do so many people use Dish or stay with it instead of going to Direct who seems to have more channels, better lineup and the quality is better (from what I read)?

Because Direct sucks too for several different reasons...

Basically, you pick the lesser of two evils...

D*'s HD lineup hasn't fully 'matured' yet, so most folks see no reason to switch from E* until it does...

...and the data on PQ is highly subjective. But lets not go there...
post #261 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

They've been going back and forth for years. Unless you have only a single receiver, it isn't practical for the majority to switch back and forth.
post #262 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Unless you have only a single receiver, it isn't practical for the majority to switch back and forth.

Oh contraire monfraire! Not according to jacmyoung!! You go where the HD is!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #263 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampz26 View Post

Because Direct sucks too for several different reasons...

Basically, you pick the lesser of two evils...

D*'s HD lineup hasn't fully 'matured' yet, so most folks see no reason to switch from E* until it does...

...and the data on PQ is highly subjective. But lets not go there...

Actually I would like to go there because I am considering the switch from cable. I'd like to know what issues there are on both dish networks that are troublesome to users. I may delay my switch if the issues presented make it worth staying with cable for the time being.
post #264 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

Oh contraire monfraire! Not according to jacmyoung!! You go where the HD is!

Agreed! Where is it?
post #265 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

If E* would have swapped out my hardware, I'd be on my third year with them and looking for a comparable accommodation from D* right about now.
post #266 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Actually I would like to go there because I am considering the switch from cable. I'd like to know what issues there are on both dish networks that are troublesome to users. I may delay my switch if the issues presented make it worth staying with cable for the time being.

I've been with D* for 5 years and have no complaints. I've had their HD since late 2006 and the PQ of their 10 original HD channels were and are not the best, BUT all their new HD channels that have launched since fall of 2007 are fantastic. Anyone who tells you the PQ on those channels isn't impressive either hasn't seen them or has some personal vendetta against D* for some reason IMHO. I have their HR20 HD DVR and it's great. I had Tivo for over 3 years prior so I'm comparing the HR20 to the gold standard. I've never had E* so I can't comment directly, though I occasionally have had to gone to my neighbors house to help them fix their E* DVR when it acts up.

Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Directv since '03
post #267 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana627 View Post

I've been with D* for 5 years and have no complaints. I've had their HD since late 2006 and the PQ of their 10 original HD channels were and are not the best, BUT all their new HD channels that have launched since fall of 2007 are fantastic. Anyone who tells you the PQ on those channels isn't impressive either hasn't seen them or has some personal vendetta against D* for some reason IMHO. I have their HR20 HD DVR and it's great. I had Tivo for over 3 years prior so I'm comparing the HR20 to the gold standard. I've never had E* so I can't comment directly, though I occasionally have had to gone to my neighbors house to help them fix their E* DVR when it acts up.

Do you mind me asking what you pay them a month? I have Tivo right now also and in my media room I have an HD DVR from my cable company. I'm a bigtime sports fan so I'm really wanting my sports in HD. Right now thats the dealbreaker with my cable co because unless it's on ESPN or my two locals I get in HD, then I have to watch it in SD which is very annoying.
post #268 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Because until only a few months ago, Dish had far more HD channels than Direct did. And speak for yourself about Voom - while a few of their channels are worthless, several of them are very good, showing films that no one else carries. I also much prefer their DVR, and have no complaints about their picture quality. As much as Dish spurred D* on to carry more channels, I trust that E* will add more HD channels as well to keep things competitive.
post #269 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK006 View Post

And speak for yourself about Voom - while a few of their channels are worthless, several of them are very good, showing films that no one else carries.

I agree, World Cinema shows films that cannot be seen anywhere from any other service as far as I can tell and is one of the primary reasons I still have Dish. I'm hoping this $30 HD thing will allow me to lower my Dish bill and still retain some of the channels that can't be had anywhere else.

While it's crazy to spend $30 a month for basically one channel, I watch and love foreign films enough that I can justify it, on some level, but simply can't for the regular rate of $100-something I'm currently paying Dish.
post #270 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK006 View Post

Because until only a few months ago, Dish had far more HD channels than Direct did.

Yep they just keep outdoing each other. I don't really care about quantity though. I'd just like the good channels in HD.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page