Dish Network HDTV - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmyoung View Post

One time I missed out on a newly added channel by two weeks until I learned on the forum.

Did they medevac you to the nearest trauma center or were they able to revive you at home?
Aliens is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
scott72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

This pricing plan has been confirmed over on tvpredictions.com

http://www.tvpredictions.com/dish012208.htm

70 channels to be included in that plan now? No way..
scott72 is offline  
post #243 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 01:54 PM
 
Vampz26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott72 View Post

70 channels to be included in that plan now? No way..

As much as it pains me to discuss this, the boneheads at E* are counting those continuous "DishHD Logo channels of ever nothing on" as...well....actual channels...

I don't, but they do...go figure...
Vampz26 is offline  
post #244 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 58
That article comes third hand - I wouldn't bank on 70 channels yet based on how brief the referenced article was.

Unless they have had second thoughts about the $5 for all the RSNs.

tvpredictions got their info from here:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/new...ticle_ID=11928
CPanther95 is online now  
post #245 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jacmyoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Did they medevac you to the nearest trauma center or were they able to revive you at home?

I did not need any but the same could not be said of my 622
jacmyoung is offline  
post #246 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jacmyoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

That article comes third hand - I wouldn't bank on 70 channels yet based on how brief the referenced article was.

Unless they have had second thoughts about the $5 for all the RSNs.

tvpredictions got their info from here:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/new...ticle_ID=11928

Sounded pretty clear to me the only separately sold sports HDs this tier can have are NHL HD and NBA HD.
jacmyoung is offline  
post #247 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 58
That's what it sounded like, but their CES display showed a $5 charge for the RSNs (and Top 120 Plus required).

They might have revised their plan, but I'd wait for something a little more official before banking on it.
CPanther95 is online now  
post #248 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiomagnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 2,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

I found this out about Dish's 100 channel HD claim but I think it deserves its own thread:

I just confirmed this with a Dish rep:

$29.99/month TOTAL(!!!) for 40 HD channels, no SD channels. It requires a 2 year commitment and doesn't include a DVR, just an HD receiver. I quit DISH last year after years of "bill creep," this suits me just fine. SD looks like crap on my TV anyway and I can get my locals OTA. It's an HD cheapskate's dream come true. You can't place your order until February 1st, so don't bother calling until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

This pricing plan has been confirmed over on tvpredictions.com

Umm, I'm no Swanni, but I confirmed it with a rep (it took a few calls) back on the 9th (see first quote). So much for another Swanni scoop.


Quote:
Originally Posted by scott72 View Post

70 channels to be included in that plan now? No way..

I'm extremely skeptical. That is way too good to be true, and like our mommas told us...
audiomagnate is offline  
post #249 of 2572 Old 01-22-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If the 24 channels added this year are included, that puts it right up to 64. That's not what the blurb says - it suggests that it will include 70 channels (presumably) at the 2/1 rollout, but perhaps when a more detailed followup comes through they may be more specific.
CPanther95 is online now  
post #250 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampz26 View Post

As much as it pains me to discuss this, the boneheads at E* are counting those continuous "DishHD Logo channels of ever nothing on" as...well....actual channels...

I don't, but they do...go figure...

Yes, this is really false advertising. As stupid as it is D* has been doing the same kind of thing for years. I never liked it much when they advertised they had X # of hd channels and I didn't qualify for half of them. I say they add 70 more hd logo channels and catch up with D*.
keeper is offline  
post #251 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Looks like The Weather Channel will be coming to E* in June. It will be interesting to see if the PQ will be like the network morning shows or more like Jeopardy. I’m hoping like the morning shows (which I don’t watch, just surf by) because I’m not overly impressed with Jeopardy. I’m assuming Jeopardy is film and not video because the clarity is not crisp like you see on most programs shot on video.
Aliens is offline  
post #252 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I'm assuming Jeopardy is film and not video because the clarity is not crisp like you see on most programs shot on video.

You're kidding, right? It's a Sony production, not Kodak...

Besides, other than kinetoscopes for archiving, I don't think there has ever been a game show shot on film.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #253 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CycloneGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boyds, Maryland Useful Posts: 15
Posts: 6,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post

Yes, this is really false advertising. As stupid as it is D* has been doing the same kind of thing for years. I never liked it much when they advertised they had X # of hd channels and I didn't qualify for half of them. I say they add 70 more hd logo channels and catch up with D*.

Yeah, I had this avoidance of the true HD channel count.

Dish had been pretty good, and up until last September, their ads stated 38 or 39 HD channels. Then when D* started to pad their numbers, and Comcast started to call VOD-HD as "HD choices", then dish magically went up to 70 HD channels over night by adding PPV-HD, NBA-HD, NHL-HD, HD-Alt, and BIG10 Mirror channels (that rarely have content) to their HD Count.

At least they weren't lying when they did indeed have the lead.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
CycloneGT is offline  
post #254 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

You're kidding, right? It's a Sony production, not Kodak...

Besides, other than kinetoscopes for archiving, I don't think there has ever been a game show shot on film.

No I wasn't kidding, I just wasn't thinking when I posted.
Aliens is offline  
post #255 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Newbie
 
MSchneider84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to make the switch from Time Warner to Dish. I don't want to part with Road Runner though. Is it possible to have both Dish and Road Runner?
MSchneider84 is offline  
post #256 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
ewitte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchneider84 View Post

I'm looking to make the switch from Time Warner to Dish. I don't want to part with Road Runner though. Is it possible to have both Dish and Road Runner?

I do but they charge you more if you don't have another service. I'm currently paying $0.99 for local channels to get the $15 or so roadrunner discount Not sure what to do when the year is up though. Maybe go earthlink.
ewitte is offline  
post #257 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

No I wasn't kidding, I just wasn't thinking when I posted.

Coffee, my friend. It'll keep you awake and make you jittery enough to fight back dirty in the Blu-ray/HD DVD forums....
NetworkTV is offline  
post #258 of 2572 Old 01-23-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Coffee, my friend. It'll keep you awake and make you jittery enough to fight back dirty in the Blu-ray/HD DVD forums....

Gave it up and went to Green Tea (the real deal whole leaf tea) in October, and have been popping Ginkgo Biloba pills for the last 8 months. Just when I thought I was making progress, this sh*t happens.
Aliens is offline  
post #259 of 2572 Old 01-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Member
 
gavin1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So if Dish's lineup sucks, Voom channels are worthless, they are slow at adding channels and the ones they do offer have alot of PPV, why do so many people use Dish or stay with it instead of going to Direct who seems to have more channels, better lineup and the quality is better (from what I read)?
gavin1021 is offline  
post #260 of 2572 Old 01-24-2008, 10:19 PM
 
Vampz26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin1021 View Post

So if Dish's lineup sucks, Voom channels are worthless, they are slow at adding channels and the ones they do offer have alot of PPV, why do so many people use Dish or stay with it instead of going to Direct who seems to have more channels, better lineup and the quality is better (from what I read)?

Because Direct sucks too for several different reasons...

Basically, you pick the lesser of two evils...

D*'s HD lineup hasn't fully 'matured' yet, so most folks see no reason to switch from E* until it does...

...and the data on PQ is highly subjective. But lets not go there...
Vampz26 is offline  
post #261 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin1021 View Post

So if Dish's lineup sucks, Voom channels are worthless, they are slow at adding channels and the ones they do offer have alot of PPV, why do so many people use Dish or stay with it instead of going to Direct who seems to have more channels, better lineup and the quality is better (from what I read)?

They've been going back and forth for years. Unless you have only a single receiver, it isn't practical for the majority to switch back and forth.
CPanther95 is online now  
post #262 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 13,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Unless you have only a single receiver, it isn't practical for the majority to switch back and forth.

Oh contraire monfraire! Not according to jacmyoung!! You go where the HD is!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
foxeng is online now  
post #263 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Senior Member
 
scott72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampz26 View Post

Because Direct sucks too for several different reasons...

Basically, you pick the lesser of two evils...

D*'s HD lineup hasn't fully 'matured' yet, so most folks see no reason to switch from E* until it does...

...and the data on PQ is highly subjective. But lets not go there...

Actually I would like to go there because I am considering the switch from cable. I'd like to know what issues there are on both dish networks that are troublesome to users. I may delay my switch if the issues presented make it worth staying with cable for the time being.
scott72 is offline  
post #264 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 07:28 AM
 
Vampz26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

Oh contraire monfraire! Not according to jacmyoung!! You go where the HD is!

Agreed! Where is it?
Vampz26 is offline  
post #265 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If E* would have swapped out my hardware, I'd be on my third year with them and looking for a comparable accommodation from D* right about now.
CPanther95 is online now  
post #266 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Indiana627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York State
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott72 View Post

Actually I would like to go there because I am considering the switch from cable. I'd like to know what issues there are on both dish networks that are troublesome to users. I may delay my switch if the issues presented make it worth staying with cable for the time being.

I've been with D* for 5 years and have no complaints. I've had their HD since late 2006 and the PQ of their 10 original HD channels were and are not the best, BUT all their new HD channels that have launched since fall of 2007 are fantastic. Anyone who tells you the PQ on those channels isn't impressive either hasn't seen them or has some personal vendetta against D* for some reason IMHO. I have their HR20 HD DVR and it's great. I had Tivo for over 3 years prior so I'm comparing the HR20 to the gold standard. I've never had E* so I can't comment directly, though I occasionally have had to gone to my neighbors house to help them fix their E* DVR when it acts up.

Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Directv since '03
Indiana627 is offline  
post #267 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
 
scott72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana627 View Post

I've been with D* for 5 years and have no complaints. I've had their HD since late 2006 and the PQ of their 10 original HD channels were and are not the best, BUT all their new HD channels that have launched since fall of 2007 are fantastic. Anyone who tells you the PQ on those channels isn't impressive either hasn't seen them or has some personal vendetta against D* for some reason IMHO. I have their HR20 HD DVR and it's great. I had Tivo for over 3 years prior so I'm comparing the HR20 to the gold standard. I've never had E* so I can't comment directly, though I occasionally have had to gone to my neighbors house to help them fix their E* DVR when it acts up.

Do you mind me asking what you pay them a month? I have Tivo right now also and in my media room I have an HD DVR from my cable company. I'm a bigtime sports fan so I'm really wanting my sports in HD. Right now thats the dealbreaker with my cable co because unless it's on ESPN or my two locals I get in HD, then I have to watch it in SD which is very annoying.
scott72 is offline  
post #268 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
RDK006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin1021 View Post

So if Dish's lineup sucks, Voom channels are worthless, they are slow at adding channels and the ones they do offer have alot of PPV, why do so many people use Dish or stay with it instead of going to Direct who seems to have more channels, better lineup and the quality is better (from what I read)?

Because until only a few months ago, Dish had far more HD channels than Direct did. And speak for yourself about Voom - while a few of their channels are worthless, several of them are very good, showing films that no one else carries. I also much prefer their DVR, and have no complaints about their picture quality. As much as Dish spurred D* on to carry more channels, I trust that E* will add more HD channels as well to keep things competitive.
RDK006 is offline  
post #269 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK006 View Post

And speak for yourself about Voom - while a few of their channels are worthless, several of them are very good, showing films that no one else carries.

I agree, World Cinema shows films that cannot be seen anywhere from any other service as far as I can tell and is one of the primary reasons I still have Dish. I'm hoping this $30 HD thing will allow me to lower my Dish bill and still retain some of the channels that can't be had anywhere else.

While it's crazy to spend $30 a month for basically one channel, I watch and love foreign films enough that I can justify it, on some level, but simply can't for the regular rate of $100-something I'm currently paying Dish.
Keenan is online now  
post #270 of 2572 Old 01-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
ewitte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK006 View Post

Because until only a few months ago, Dish had far more HD channels than Direct did.

Yep they just keep outdoing each other. I don't really care about quantity though. I'd just like the good channels in HD.
ewitte is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off