American Idol, Season 7 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wasn't watching at the time and wasn't sure why Ryan was put in there to judge.

There were some good voices last night, my wife really liked the arm wrestling girl (don't remember her name), but they were not sure even though they still put her through.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

I wasn't watching at the time and wasn't sure why Ryan was put in there to judge.

There were some good voices last night, my wife really liked the arm wrestling girl (don't remember her name), but they were not sure even though they still put her through.

I thought she was ok, but actually agreed with Randy. So many girls try to sing country by adding the Yodeling. That sounds very dated, because the country of years ago had a lot of that for the 'Twang' factor.

Paula couldn't budge that girl using two arms, and standing up, when they arm wrestled.

Tony
post #183 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Looks like several very attractive females were put through on last night's show. Of course they didn't show most of those auditions.

I wonder if that one guy will forget the words again.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #184 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Looks like several very attractive females were put through on last night's show. Of course they didn't show most of those auditions.

I agree!

Quote:

I sure hope not. I was shocked they gave him the chance to right himself after messing up so many times. That is not normal according to what they show us.

Scott

post #185 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hope not, because he sounded very good. But, that was in front of three people. Wait until he's signing live in front of thousands in the audience and millions of viewers. Simon said if he ever forgot the words again, they wouldn't put him through any further as they'd have to stop the show if it was LIVE. Wonder what they'd do if someone froze up during a Live performance?

Tony
post #186 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

As others have mentioned, they were very very lenient last night.

I wondered if it was because Paula was not there for much of the show. Perhaps, with her absence, Simon didn't feel he had to offset her "nice" with his normal "naughty." He was downright pleasant and gentle with some of the early contestants.

And yes, Paula was back to her normal self last night. I know that the judging-days are probably pretty long, and they probably get tired...but she just has absolutely no self-control for how she presents her self sometimes.
post #187 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I also agree that there were quite a few hotties last night too. The girl that Seacrest "judged" was quite a cutie and I felt sorry for her that she had to endure that zoo of an audition. But she did pretty well.

The 17 year old from Wisconsin was very cute, but man, she was a total and complete emotional wreck. I hope she gets her act together by Hollywood.
post #188 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I think you also have to factor in the editing. My guess is last night show is how they treated most of the contestants for the last six years. They give a little coaching, a lot of honest, and send most people on their way home.

I think the dude with the weird jacket really did himself a disservice. I thought he was going to be another crackpot who couldn't sing, but he did have a nice voice. To bad he totally wrecked his chances by picking a horrible auditon song, and his performance was awful.
post #189 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Anyone else get frustrated when the judges stop a good audition just before it hits the chorus?

I felt that way tonight when that guy did "Livin' on a prayer." I wanted more but he got cut off!

It's funny. I said the exact same thing to my wife last night while we were watching. I was ticked they cut him off.

Someone else got cut off pre-chorus also last night. I can't remember who though.

Side notes:
Simon knew he would've been embarrassed by the arm-wresting girl. Smart choice to not arm wrestle. I don't think I would've shown that kind of restraint...

I thought the whole judge swapping scene was hilarious, although it was spoiled by the pre-commercial teaser for it.

My Basement Theater/Rec Room
"I don't have some way to put it...that's the way it is."
post #190 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

My wife said that Paula was completely wasted last night, so much that she was almost falling asleep in her chair and at one point they had to put Seacrest in it in order to get her out of the room.

she was apparently late and that's why seacrest was in there. she looked pretty loopy last night though.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #191 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 View Post

she was apparently late and that's why seacrest was in there. she looked pretty loopy last night though.

Seacrest was in there because he poked his head in the door asking why the judges said no to a contestant. Simon said that the job of a judge is difficult, and offered Ryan a chance to try it out. So he swapped jobs with Paula for one audition.

-- David
post #192 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 View Post

Her being late was at the beginning of the show. Two seperate events.

Yes, she looked loopy. In other words, back to her Normal Self

Tony
post #193 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

ah my mistake. shows how much I pay attention to this show

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #194 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone notice how nervous the first girl in the on to Hollywood montage was? A fairly attractive brunette... with noticeable sweat at the armpits.

If the really nervous guy who Simon was lenient with can get over his stage fright, I think he could go far.

post #195 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 AM

Paulas flight was delayed. She was only missing from the first 2 people shown. The first person was bad and the 2nd was the guy who couldn't remember the words a bunch but made it.
post #196 of 3732 Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr View Post

Anyone notice how nervous the first girl in the on to Hollywood montage was? A fairly attractive brunette... with noticeable sweat at the armpits.

That was the girl that accidentally said she would be "America's Next Top Model" at the end.
post #197 of 3732 Old 01-31-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

As lenient as they were in Nebraska, they were just as strict last night in the Miami auditions. Simon in particular seemed to have little patience with most of the auditions and was downright crabby most of the time.

That multi-personality dude at the end was pretty obnoxious and weird, but I could've seen them laugh along with him in another city...they certainly did with other weird contestants. I think they were just fed up with what turned out to be a pretty poor showing for such a large city (only 17 went through to Hollywood).
post #198 of 3732 Old 01-31-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by frorule View Post

It's funny. I said the exact same thing to my wife last night while we were watching. I was ticked they cut him off.

Someone else got cut off pre-chorus also last night. I can't remember who though.

Funny because I said that to my wife too.

The worst thing is that watching at home, if you don't hear the chorus, especially for a song like Living on a Prayer, it feels incomplete.

And I for one really enjoying the good singing in the auditions because it is acapella. When voting starts you get background music and sometimes it drowns the singers or worse off, can hide when someone is either better than than they appear, or worse than they appear.
post #199 of 3732 Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I was shocked that the girl who started things off last night didn't know that she was not a good singer. She was amazed that they didn't like it. She wasn't horrible, but she wasn't great by any means.

As for the 16 year old former young idol girl, she sucked and had a horrible attitude.

Scott

post #200 of 3732 Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As for the 16 year old former young idol girl, she sucked and had a horrible attitude.

She was so fake and plastic, it was downright disturbing.
post #201 of 3732 Old 01-31-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

She was so fake and plastic, it was downright disturbing.

Yeah, I'm surprised she didn't make it to Hollywood where she'd fit in!

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #202 of 3732 Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

As for the 16 year old former young idol girl [Julie Dubela], she sucked and had a horrible attitude.

Her attitude notwithstanding, she was IMO a truly decent singer and was better than many of those who got their golden tickets; she should have received one of her own.

Scott

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...
Hot Off the Press / Philips and Magnavox DVD Recorders

post #203 of 3732 Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It seems to me that some female contestants have been nearly guaranteeing rejection by deciding to sing Janis Joplin songs. So many of them just imitate Joplin and I don't think one has gotten in yet with one of her songs.

Joplin had a very unique and sincere voice but not a voice that will get you on American Idol. I have a feeling next season lots of the guys will sing Bob Dylan songs.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #204 of 3732 Old 02-01-2008, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SowegaBowler View Post

Her attitude notwithstanding, she was IMO a truly decent singer and was better than many of those who got their golden tickets; she should have received one of her own.

You could tell, deap in the screaming that she had a voice and could sing. However, she sang a song that she could not pull off as she didn't sound good at all. I have yet to see someone get a golden ticket that sounded worse than her. All the ones I've seen get Tickets have actually been good IMO. Again, I think the girl probably can sing, but based on THAT audition, she wasn't good...not at all.

Tony
post #205 of 3732 Old 02-01-2008, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
She should have lip synched herself from 4 years earlier.
post #206 of 3732 Old 02-01-2008, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SowegaBowler View Post

Her voice was one of the better ones in the audition. The judges mostly disliked the attitude and the "play acting" style of performance. As for her attitude, I'm guessing that her parents spoiled her to death thinking she was the next Btitiney or Mylie. The best line came from Simon who said something like: "I think that was the first time in her life that she has heard the word NO!"
post #207 of 3732 Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 AM

Liked: 123
"Precocious? What does that mean?"

AI happily escapes Antonella, Part 2!
post #208 of 3732 Old 02-01-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Her voice was one of the better ones in the audition. The judges mostly disliked the attitude and the "play acting" style of performance. As for her attitude, I'm guessing that her parents spoiled her to death thinking she was the next Btitiney or Mylie. The best line came from Simon who said something like: "I think that was the first time in her life that she has heard the word NO!"

I'm not sure her voice was all that, but her mannerisms were just completely affected and extremely annoying. Classic result of child "pageant" and "talent contest" upbringing...
post #209 of 3732 Old 02-01-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

I'm not sure her voice was all that, but her mannerisms were just completely affected and extremely annoying. Classic result of child "pageant" and "talent contest" upbringing...

I agree that she was annoying, which was too bad because, based on the clip we saw of her when she was 12 years old, she has some talent. Unfortunately, she has regressed. The girl’s sense of entitlement has turned her into her own worst enemy. Clearly, she has not learned that it’s important to be able to see ourselves as others see us.
post #210 of 3732 Old 02-01-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Joplin had a very unique and sincere voice but not a voice that will get you on American Idol. I have a feeling next season lots of the guys will sing Bob Dylan songs.

Precisely. Every time I hear the contestant will do Joplin, I cringe because I know it will be bad. Worse off, most of these people are trying to imitate her, instead of "making their song on my own."

Although this contestant was not well liked, during the final strectch of AI 1, Nikki McKibbin did a rendition of "Piece of My Heart" which I enjoyed because it didn't sound like Joplin.

The people doing Joplin in these auditions are trying to be copy cats, and I'm not sure why. Are they stupid?

Going for a different sound isn't bad a thing, but it better be a sound that is pleasing to the ears of the judges (and us viewers).
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page