std hrc or irc on samsung tv and comcast - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-26-2008, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i am trying to do what is best for my samaung tv while getting the most channels possible. in my antenna setup in my 46 lnt4661f samsung lcd i have three options. under analog i have std, hrc or irc, and in DTV i have std, hrc or irc. what should i use in both and why? will one give me more channels? also related yet not, why when i am on the cable coax input (as opposed to the hdmi input for the stb) do i get tons of ota channels but when i watch tv through the comcast stb and use the PIP feature (which defaults to the cable coax input) doi only get 22 channels or so? any ideas and thanks for any answers to any quesions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
First, most cable companies are probably using standard channel spacing. HRC and IRC/ICC use a slightly different spacing to eliminate some potential interference problem I can't remember, and as a side-effect get an extra channel in between channels 4 and 5. (There's an extra 4 MHz gap there because standard cable follows the OTA VHF frequencies, which have a gap there for radio astronomy or something, but the revised spacing widens it to 6 MHz.) If you're using the wrong setting, it should be obvious that you're missing channels.

Second, Samsung's PIP options are extremely limited. Maybe it only works for analog cable? Consult your manual, I'm sure it's in there.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-02-2009, 09:02 AM

cginex - I have the same situation - samsung 46" w/Comcast and was wondering what diff between STD, HRC and IRC are. It says to check your cable co docs but I couldn't find it. I chose the default "STD" and imported those channels. Im confused though - the menu will only allow me to import the channels in "TV mode" not cable mode. What is the diff between tv/cable mode. Also I noticed some of the 800 level HD channels did not import. Like Fox #837. How do I import all channels?
post #4 of 4 Old 11-02-2009, 04:19 PM

my understanding is QAM tuners found on most HDTV's will only go up to Ch 135....I am amazed you are getting channels in the 800's w/o STB

Samsung B650 and B630
Mag 2160A
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV