Is Comcast through fiber optics now? Saw their new commercial... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
*I apologize if I did not post this in in the correct forum. Was not exactly sure where to put it.

I just saw a Comcast commercial that I had not seen before. In the commercial, they were poking fun at the Verizon Fios commercials where they have all the pretty lights and stuff. They then said something along the lines of Comcast being the best fiber optics network in the world, as they in fact have a fiber optics network. I'm not sure if they were referring to TV or Internet, but regardless, I was wondering if there is any truth to this, or is this just an advertising ploy? I was under the impression that comcast was NOT fiber optics, which was what made Verizon FIOS so special, and which made Verizon faster/more future-proof (and greater potential to expand/give more HD content).

I am by no means an expert on this stuff, so looking for some more info from you guys. I have been contemplating switching to Verizon FIOS, but have been hesitant because of the more limited selection of HD On Demand for their TV service.. but was planning on probably switching to it once they got up to par with Comcast. But now this commercial is making me think maybe there will be no reason to switch?

Thanks in advance for any info!

-Kickit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-17-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Advertising ploy...
post #3 of 33 Old 03-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

My area was served by Adelphia before being bought out by Comcast. They completed the conversion to fiber 5 years or so ago. Not to the house, but to various nodes.

Comcast does have a fiber network, except for the last mile or so. Guess they can advertise as fiber, they sure like to falsely claim that they are faster than the local DSL.
post #4 of 33 Old 03-17-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In many areas, they don't have fiber from the head end to the home. Yes, they do use "fiber" but typically main feeds from the provider to the head end... but not from the head end your home. Which is the "real" competitive edge that FiOS could provide over Comcast.

It's quite possible it may be area dependant in a very few cases, but IMO, the advertising is quite questionable. Just as they love to throw out the "digital quality" term to entice the uninformed masses.
post #5 of 33 Old 03-17-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Advertising ploy...

You say its an advertising ploy that they don't use fiber, then explain their fiber network below.

Quote:

In many areas, they don't have fiber from the head end to the home. Yes, they do use "fiber" but typically main feeds from the provider to the head end... but not from the head end your home. Which is the "real" competitive edge that FiOS could provide over Comcast.

Do they provide fiber to the home in any areas? I didn't think so but I could be wrong. They also have fiber running from the head end to the nodes, so as it is not FTTH it is fiber to the node.
post #6 of 33 Old 03-17-2008, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Semantics.... of course the use fiber, but Comcast is not equatible to FiOS. It is not fiber "end to end". It's a marketing ploy. Not deception.... but not the "technical" truth.

If you have a "hard line" telephone in your home and use any long distance carrier, they use fiber optic and digital too.
post #7 of 33 Old 03-17-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In many areas Cable-co's are begining to go fiber deep but it is not to the home!
post #8 of 33 Old 03-17-2008, 06:55 PM

it is in fact a hybrid network with fiber to the nodes, coax to the house. and guess what? there is no such thing as a fiber terminal into the home...so once fios' magical fiber gets to your house-surprise!-it becomes coax...

thought i'd randomly add my 2 cents, but after all, isn't that part of what forums are for?
post #9 of 33 Old 03-17-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Semantics.... of course the use fiber, but Comcast is not equatible to FiOS. It is not fiber "end to end". It's a marketing ploy. Not deception.... but not the "technical" truth.

How is it semantics? They advertise the use of fiber, and yes they do you use fiber. Seems pretty clear to me. Not like it matters to 99.9% of end users either way, but I wouldn't call it an advertising ploy anymore than Verizon advertising their use of fiber.
post #10 of 33 Old 03-25-2008, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Comcast uses a few shady ads that average joes might believe.

1) More HD content (than anyone). They may have more On Demand choices but they have less channels
2) They use Fiber. Really? no kidding. They difference between Fios and Comcast is HUGE. They really have no right even mentioning Fiber Optic in their ads. The last mile makes all the difference.
3) They have faster internet than the Telcos- Cable internet is faster than DSL which Verizon provides in my market. Verizon also has Fios internet and there is no doubt that Fios is much much faster.

The problem is Comcast is losing customers at a very fast rate. When I canceled Comcast to switch to Fios they told me that Comcast uses Fiber. I then told the lady all about Fiber and why Comcast can't match them. Pricing was another point and I told her that for $5 more a month I get internet 3 times faster, better picture quality, and come summer a much larger amount of HD channels.

I give the girl credit, she kept coming up with reasons to stay. she was good. The truth hurts sometimes I guess.

Maybe Comcast should get their On Demand fixed (never worked), charge me the right amount (almost every month for the past year it was wrong), provide NFL network free, and not try to force me into a contract to keep me (Their call reminded me of the Fios line installed 6 weeks prior on my street).

The best part is I can see the huge skyscraper they are building here in Philly. Comcast country my ass.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #11 of 33 Old 03-27-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Comcast uses a few shady ads that average joes might believe.

1) More HD content (than anyone). They may have more On Demand choices but they have less channels.

You keep all your HD "channels" that show 2% HD content. Ill stick with the VOD that has hundreds of HD shows.
Quote:

2) They use Fiber. Really? no kidding. They difference between Fios and Comcast is HUGE. They really have no right even mentioning Fiber Optic in their ads. The last mile makes all the difference.

Theyve been delivering their service through fiber long before Verizon even had an inkling. And when they do extend from node to pole it will be at a fraction of the cost Verizon shelled out since half their plant has been Fiber for quite some time. Fiber to the home, then to coax. Same freq range. Fiber to the Node then to Coax. Same freq range. Once cable can ditch their analogs they will be side by side.
Quote:

3) They have faster internet than the Telcos- Cable internet is faster than DSL which Verizon provides in my market. Verizon also has Fios internet and there is no doubt that Fios is much much faster.

I dont believe a statement was ever made that "Cable is faster then "THE TELCOS" " I believe it states it is faster then DSL. Which it is...

Quote:

The problem is Comcast is losing customers at a very fast rate.

Oh come on now..

Dont get me wrong, I dig Verizon. I believe that full run fiber is the future of all providers. But Im not slamming one or the other. And I wouldnt make a blanket statement or use half baked comments to bury one or the other. Its obvious you have a huge chip on your shoulder making your comments more slanderous and false then unbiased and factual.
post #12 of 33 Old 04-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

He probably has a chip on his shoulder because he's a Comcast customer

It's a common situation

There's little excuse for Comcast not to finish their lines to fiber like Verizon. If Verizon can do it from scratch for brand new customers in areas with competition, then Comcast has no excuse in its monopolistic areas.

If Comcast wants to stop the hemmoraging, and hold onto customers under 50 they need to stop focusing on "Little Demand" and "Triple-Played" stuff and put a few bucks into the customers they have now.

This might help with their popularity issues as well.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #13 of 33 Old 04-01-2008, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I am a comcast customer now but when u-verse becomes available in my area they
will get my money.
post #14 of 33 Old 04-02-2008, 09:26 AM

There is a HUGE difference between FTTN and FTTH/FTTP. However, if Comcast were not knocking FiOS in the ad, it would not be misleading, but the ad implies that somehow, Verizon and Comcast offer the same service and Verizon has just now arrived. This simply isn't true.

The truth is, that is FTTN were competitive, Verizon would not have made the very large investment that it has to complete the fiber network to the home (premise). I imagine Comcast and cable companies will not complete their fiber network to the premise because they do not have the capital to invest in the upgrade and cannot afford to suffer losses while they wait for subscriber-ship to increase.

If you take a look at Comcast's fourth quarter earnings, you will see this ad for what it is: a last ditch effort to save customers by a desperate cable company watching its industry fotthold slip away.
post #15 of 33 Old 04-03-2008, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Comcast has left multiple leaflets on my door touting the 3 play. Why are they doing this?? That's right, Verizon is installing FIOS on my block. Depending on what FIOS is offering and how much depends on whether I stay with Comcast. I only have them for internet, locked in with DTV for another year.

Nick

360 GT: Nicky D
post #16 of 33 Old 04-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Triple-Play

Cable/internet/landline

They are trying to "lock" you in with a "good" deal. Comcast doesn't do contracts, but if they give you a package deal you are more likely to stick with them.

I've heard Fios has better internet. But Comcast is fine for most people, too.

I recommend taking your time, read, learn, post and then make decisions.
Comcast "CAN" be wlling to wheel and deal, over and over. I've been doing it for years. Fios and dish are less willing.

If you're on a dish system you may be where you end up anyway.

Be happy you have such a great set of choices, I wish I did.

post #17 of 33 Old 04-03-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

Triple-Play

Cable/internet/landline

They are trying to "lock" you in with a "good" deal. Comcast doesn't do contracts, but if they give you a package deal you are more likely to stick with them.

I've heard Fios has better internet. But Comcast is fine for most people, too.

I recommend taking your time, read, learn, post and then make decisions.
Comcast "CAN" be wlling to wheel and deal, over and over. I've been doing it for years. Fios and dish are less willing.

If you're on a dish system you may be where you end up anyway.

Be happy you have such a great set of choices, I wish I did.

I plan on staying with DTV, I am happy with them. I went HD last Feb and compared the two. Comcast could not come anywhere near the price I pay for DTV, with everything that I have. Comcast was close to $40 or $60 more expensive. Internet would be the only thing that I would change. I already have Verizon for home and cell phone, so maybe I can get a nice package deal through them for phone and internet.

Nick

post #18 of 33 Old 04-03-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Triple-Play

Cable/internet/landline.

Actually...

It's TV programming and Internet access. The "triple" is VoIP services that utilizes the provisioned internet access (if you subscribe to all three of the promotional package).

All are provided via Comcast "cable".

No matter your type of internet connection (cable, DSL, satellite, ISDN, etc)... there are other VoIP providers. Comcast is not the only 'game in town' if one desires to keep a "hardline" phone.
post #19 of 33 Old 04-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

True.

By landline, I meant "hard-wired"; but it is true - through the cable line.

Problem with wired phones is that I haven't had one for 4 years, myself.

That's what cell-phones are for.

Ironically, you need one for the Sat. guys.

post #20 of 33 Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:

True.

By landline, I meant "hard-wired"; but it is true - through the cable line.

Problem with wired phones is that I haven't had one for 4 years, myself.

That's what cell-phones are for.

Ironically, you need one for the Sat. guys.

Believe it or not I still have a hardwired phone in my kitchen. It is good to have for those times when the power goes out.

Nick

post #21 of 33 Old 04-06-2008, 11:19 AM

comcast has to support analong customers, verizon doesnt

every tv with verizon needs a stb...

like said above, once comcast gets rid of analog, they will be side by side.

fiber to the home isnt needed for at least another 5 -7 years, verizon is building a whole new network, so they went ahead and built fiber to the home.

and

anyone seen what the bill goes up to after the contract is up?
post #22 of 33 Old 04-06-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 220
You can't defend Comcast versus FIOS unless you're a company plant shill par excellance!
post #23 of 33 Old 04-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

I believe Verizon Fios has some analog channels, but they plan to dump it soon.

post #24 of 33 Old 07-31-2008, 04:12 PM

Comcast is getting nervous, they know as soon as FiOS is available in any of their service areas, they are pretty much history. I think they will be the next AOL. So they are advertising a rich fiber optic network, already in your area. Deception at it's best. I have a fiber optic network, whoop tee doo.

I hope Comcast goes down in flames for raping their customers for so many years. I have their "upto 6megs download", I am lucky to get 3 megs, and that is on a good day. Sometimes I have to switch to my 1.5 meg wireless connection to get the job done. That is sad.
post #25 of 33 Old 07-31-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Interesting thread.

Say I was going to build a home in a couple years, what would be the most future proof way to wire for cable/internet? What connectors are available for connecting Fiber to the home to something higher quality than coaxial once in the home?
post #26 of 33 Old 07-31-2008, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Once in your home... you can use traditional methods of connectivity (cat6, coax, fiber, HDMI, etc...). Run 'em all and be happy. In a few years, they'll come up with yet another A/V connectivity "standard" and make all your efforts obsolete anyway.
post #27 of 33 Old 08-14-2008, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Once in your home... you can use traditional methods of connectivity (cat6, coax, fiber, HDMI, etc...). Run 'em all and be happy. In a few years, they'll come up with yet another A/V connectivity "standard" and make all your efforts obsolete anyway.

Ain't that the truth! At least my "old technology" turntable and LP records will keep on playing through the century, even though cable and OTA TV technologies will continue evolving.
post #28 of 33 Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 AM

Comcast does use Fiber for their network.

I sell Fiber solutions for them to Enterprise Business Customers.

However, we are not offering fiber to residential customer. Our fiber will stop at the neighborhood or to whats called a node and then split into coax which is powered to the home.
post #29 of 33 Old 08-10-2012, 02:28 PM

Replying to "Is Comcast through fiber optics now? Saw their new commercial..."
post #30 of 33 Old 08-31-2012, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Absolutely Irrelevant IMO.
Even if Comcast invested in Fiber To The Home, the video and audio quality would still suck.

SD and HD channels alike on their system are unbelievably compressed in order to cram in more new Basic Craptastic channels.
They look like 1970s R rated adult films where 'vaseline on the lens' got them the rating.

Their push to eliminate analog channels supports the same objective - more content provider crap bundles, all the time.

Not to beat on Comcast too much - TWC is on the same path. Fortunately my OTA HD still looks lovely. smile.gif

Disgusted TWC non-DVR subscriber. Dish & DirecTV - almost identical expensive tiers. AT&T U-verse - Sorry, Not Available except to Upscale demographic areas.
SetTopBox: Motorola DCX3200-M (non DVR)
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV