Does anyone make a flat coax cable longer than 8"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-02-2008, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I need a cable to from my router,under my carpet and across the hall to another room since thats where the cable connector in the wall is, I see they flat coax cables now which is great however I only see them as long as 8inches or so I need at about 4 ft or more does anyone make long flat coax cables? I have new carpet being installed and want to install it under the new carpet. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 PM

Liked: 10
i don't know how flat you mean, but lowes has outdoor rated coax that does appear flatter, having an additional ground wire on the outside of the cable.

the one i saw was 100 ft, but they might have less. or just any outdoor coax with a ground wire from another store may have the size you need.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The 8" white, flat coax jumpers are no longer allowed to be used with some companies, (Dish Network for example would not allow us to use them). They often are broken internally when walked on, or slammed in window sills, or doors and result in service calls.

It is best to etch the drywall, cut the carpet foam, or use hollowed out baseboard molding to retrofit coaxial cable in these types of applications. http://www.lsdinc.com/content/search...arpet&search=1 sells carpet fishing tools.

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #4 of 6 Old 05-07-2008, 08:05 PM

Vetco Electronics sells the flat coax cable by the foot. I think you may need to put your own 'F' connectors on.

They are local to me, so I went to check it out. It's about 1" wide, but appears to be almost as flat as the 8" jumpers for sat. systems. I guess it's made specifically for under carpet runs. It has adhesive on the back to keep it stuck to the floor once you lay the carpet down. The coax looks like it's "Mini RG-59"... about the same diameter as RG-174, maybe slightly thinner.

I can't post URL's yet, since I've been a long time lurker, but their site is easy enough to find.

I might replace my ugly "over the ceiling" coax run.. I'm sure my wife might be happy with that, plus the temptation of new carpet at the same time
post #5 of 6 Old 08-08-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterguy View Post

The 8" white, flat coax jumpers are no longer allowed to be used with some companies, (Dish Network for example would not allow us to use them). They often are broken internally when walked on, or slammed in window sills, or doors and result in service calls.

It is best to etch the drywall, cut the carpet foam, or use hollowed out baseboard molding to retrofit coaxial cable in these types of applications. [*** sells carpet fishing tools.

Dish just did my installation, they still use them
post #6 of 6 Old 08-08-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespbrown1987 View Post

Dish just did my installation, they still use them

Places like RS&I (Recreational Sports and Equipment) still sell the flat coax and they are still used wrongfully especially by independent contractors, (the guys in beat up trucks, not the authorized satellite techs with the logos on their van.

As I certified with DNSC (Dish service center) they said if a quality control inspection was made on a installation and it had a flat coax the installer was called back out and he lost his commision. They are just too problematic. Sometimes they have to be used, however There is that letter of the law and the spirit of it.

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page