Fios: To add another TV..do I need another box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-19-2008, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to add a TV to the kitchen, but I don't have room for another box...I am not so much interested in HBO. ect but would like ESPN. Do I need another box or can I run the cable right into the TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-19-2008, 10:06 AM

Liked: 12
You need a box to get ESPN. You can get local channels and the music channels by just connecting the cable directly.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-19-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, I wonder if Fios offers a cable card and if I can find a <30" TV that accepts a CC.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-19-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post

Hmm, I wonder if Fios offers a cable card and if I can find a <30" TV that accepts a CC.

Verizon will provide CableCARDs, yes; however, I'm not aware of any small TVs (anything under the 40-some-inch mark) produced with a CableCARD-ready tuner. Certainly nothing you'd be buying new; after the UDCP fiasco, many TV makers scaled back CableCARD-capable set production, since they realized it was something no one really wanted (due to the limitations it imposed, and the difficulty in getting them set up in many cases). Supposedly TVs equipped with "tru2way" (aka OCAP) support and CableCARD slots may start appearing as soon as late this year, but that'll once again, most likely, only be the very large sets, and (once again) you'll probably see a significant price premium.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

NP. I'll wait..not really in a rush for this anyway.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post

You can order on of Verizon's Digital Adapters called a DCT700. It will decode all the channels you subscribe to, but you will not get the the Guide, VOD or Menu functions. It is cheaper than a standard box and is a lot smaller. 5.5"W x 6.75"D x 1.75"T. It is pretty light and could probably be attached with velcro to the top or side of your tv or cabinet.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-25-2008, 05:46 PM

So, FIOS has sent me a letter, argued with me on the phone, and even had a robot dial my phone to harass me about every TV in my house needing a box to receive ANY signals.
Why? They quote the mandate of the FCC that everything has to be digital! EVERYTHING I have IS digital!
I have seven HDTVs in my home, two of which are using the bare cable without a box to tune the FIOS delivered local HD broadcasts now. SO, this looks to me like a misinterpretation of the FCC Digital TV "mandate" because blocking their signals from my fair use has nothing to do with the FCC.
So, I already have FIVE rental STBs from FIOS, four of which are HD capable and cost $10 a month EACH, not to mention the $19.95 for the DVR. And now they are going to block the ATSC/QAM tuners on the sets in the kitchen and the bathroom, outlets which Verizon installed.
Does anyone else see this as a grab for new revenue? Not only can I not get the LOCAL HD broadcasts already coming across the fiber, but I can't get anything without paying for each outlet now.
Since I pay for the signal to be fed into my house, why am I charged extra to access it? And will they let me use my own equipment? Oh, the TiVo is a dead issue anyway, but up until they cut its access, it worked fine. So much for having an alternative to the Verizon Nation.
I hear even the TWCs and ATTs as well as the satellite providers are doing the same. What are the alternatives when they sell me a signal that I can't access with the already DIGITAL ready HDTVs I have bought? Hell, if I had known, I would have been looking for HD MONITORS ONLY!
Anyone else this PO'd?
post #8 of 10 Old 07-25-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB222 View Post

I hear even the TWCs and ATTs as well as the satellite providers are doing the same.

TWC hasn't done it out here, yet, anyway.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #9 of 10 Old 07-25-2008, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

They quote the mandate of the FCC that everything has to be digital!

This may be their interpretation of the mandate to supply the local channels in analog until 2012 unless they go 100% digital. It probably also means that all of their digital will be SDV (switched digital video) which absolutely requires their box at this time. I think TIVO is working on an adapter to work with SDV but it's not ready yet and I don't think CC (cablecard) can do SDV in it's present incarnation.

I've been telling my customers (TV repair shop), for the last 6 years, that they will be using a box of some sort regardless of what they buy. The only people that won't need a box of some sort are those that:
Use an antenna only.
Buy a new TV with a digital tuner.
And never record or timeshift any programming.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #10 of 10 Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:

So, FIOS has sent me a letter, argued with me on the phone, and even had a robot dial my phone to harass me about every TV in my house needing a box to receive ANY signals.
Why? They quote the mandate of the FCC that everything has to be digital! EVERYTHING I have IS digital!
I have seven HDTVs in my home, two of which are using the bare cable without a box to tune the FIOS delivered local HD broadcasts now. SO, this looks to me like a misinterpretation of the FCC Digital TV "mandate" because blocking their signals from my fair use has nothing to do with the FCC.
So, I already have FIVE rental STBs from FIOS, four of which are HD capable and cost $10 a month EACH, not to mention the $19.95 for the DVR. And now they are going to block the ATSC/QAM tuners on the sets in the kitchen and the bathroom, outlets which Verizon installed.
Does anyone else see this as a grab for new revenue? Not only can I not get the LOCAL HD broadcasts already coming across the fiber, but I can't get anything without paying for each outlet now.
Since I pay for the signal to be fed into my house, why am I charged extra to access it? And will they let me use my own equipment? Oh, the TiVo is a dead issue anyway, but up until they cut its access, it worked fine. So much for having an alternative to the Verizon Nation.
I hear even the TWCs and ATTs as well as the satellite providers are doing the same. What are the alternatives when they sell me a signal that I can't access with the already DIGITAL ready HDTVs I have bought? Hell, if I had known, I would have been looking for HD MONITORS ONLY!
Anyone else this PO'd?

Uhh, they are not blocking the QAM, they are only dropping/dropped the old Analog stations 2-49 to make room for more QAM. (and comply with the 100% digital mandate) If you have digital tv's with QAM tuners you will still be able to get the local hdtv and music stations. They also have a cheap DCT700 box which will allow you to tune all the stations you subscribe to if you want. (see demonfoo's post above)
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page