Charlie Jade on Sci-Fi HD - Lost fans, you DON'T want to miss this show! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 128 Old 06-17-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Even our fearless leader, Capek, seems to have abandoned this thread.

Still haven't had a chance to see it yet, as the wife has been out of town and I'm forbidden to watch it without her. I think she likes the lead actor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 128 Old 06-17-2008, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
meh. Am I supposed to be here every thursday discussing the show with myself and a guy that doesn't like it? Now, aduds criticism is fair. My one criticism of the show is that it can be too circituitous and slow at times, which is again why I said you had to give it a few eps to build before you can really get a sense of its merits.

But on the other hand, you can pretty much lay that criticism, that nothing is happening, on any genre based serialized show, if it's your gander. Lost. A plane crashes and then........they spend three years running around on an island. BSG. Their planets are nuked and then..............they spend three years jumping around in space. etc etc etc.

You could do that for every show. It's not a critique of the show, it's one person saying why they don't like it in other words. Like with any other show, you get into the characters and their situations, you end up watching it, and finding it an enjoyable way to pass some time. But if you're "looking for something to happen" and it's not doing, well sitting on your ass watching TV is probably more the problem then what happens to be on.
post #33 of 128 Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I would agree with most of that, Capek. The first few episodes are establishing the milieu and characters. It's a bit too soon to start condemning the show for faults that really haven't surfaced yet, and may not.
post #34 of 128 Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's also a largely character driven show. A lot of the show deals with tracking Charlie's development from you're average caustic cynical world-weary schmoe to someone who would be willing to give their life up to save the world. So if you're not interested in getting a healthy does of character development each week, the show might wear thin pretty quickly. But on the other hand the series features a healthy dose of corporate espionage, secret organizations, terrorist groups and assassins, a better than average villain in the psychotic-with-a-cause 01, cool future tech and a good old fashioned detective quality to it, so, while it's not a perfect show, it has its merits, and when you get to the end of it, if you make it to the end, you recognize it for the pretty impressive piece of television that it is.

But anyways archiguy, remember to thank your wife for me. At least through her I've managed to get one convert for this show from this thread. lol
post #35 of 128 Old 06-17-2008, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 120
So what's the deal? Two episodes, then the ax? It has mysteriously disappeared from my TiVo guide data and was replaced by a double shot of Dr. Who.
post #36 of 128 Old 06-17-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's still listed on my Uverse channel guide. 7pm Friday night.
post #37 of 128 Old 06-17-2008, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Sci-Fi's schedulebot has it listed at 3AM 6/23 and subsequent weeks. (Might actually be 3AM on the 24th)

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #38 of 128 Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

Sci-Fi's schedulebot has it listed at 3AM 6/23 and subsequent weeks. (Might actually be 3AM on the 24th)

Well I've set up manual recordings for 6/23/0300EDT and 6/24/0300EDT ... we'll see what turns up. The TiVo is showing Pumpkinhead II @ the 6/23 time which is consistent with SciFi schedulebot for 6/22. The TiVo is showing a repeat of Outer Limits at the 6/24 time, but it could be that the TiVo just hasn't downloaded the changes yet.
post #39 of 128 Old 06-18-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Titan TV shows Sci-Fi HD at 5:00 P.M. on 6/20 and 6/27/ IOW, an hour earlier than Doctor Who.
post #40 of 128 Old 06-18-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Titan TV shows Sci-Fi HD at 5:00 P.M. on 6/20 and 6/27/ IOW, an hour earlier than Doctor Who.

I don't know what time zone you're in, but TitanTV is clearly wrong at this point.

My tivo guide data did update sometime this afternoon and my previously scheduled recording for Friday 6/20 got auto-magically moved up to the Tues 0300EDT time slot.

Charlie Jade Status: apparently not canceled, but dumped into wee hours.
post #41 of 128 Old 06-18-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

It could show up during the daily rotation schedule later on, like some of the other quick Friday removals.

post #42 of 128 Old 06-20-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, at least skiffy gave it the good ol' college try.
post #43 of 128 Old 06-20-2008, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek View Post

Well, at least skiffy gave it the good ol' college try.

I went to the scifi website it was listed at 3am but you think that is in error and it's gone for good?
post #44 of 128 Old 06-20-2008, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon View Post

I went to the scifi website it was listed at 3am but you think that is in error and it's gone for good?

As of this moment, no. It replaced "Outer Limits" in that time slot. The TiVo season pass is now picking up the 4th episode (at 0300EDT) as well.
post #45 of 128 Old 06-21-2008, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I'm just incredibly miffed that after 3 years skiffy would finally bring it over only to banish it to the wee hours after two eps. I mean, why bother? They don't get an HD version of the show, then they totally screw it over with the time slot. I've hated them since they canceled Farscape, and this just brings that hate right back to the forefront. -_-
post #46 of 128 Old 06-21-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

This is why man invented TiVo
post #47 of 128 Old 06-21-2008, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ya, I checked my channel guide before leaving for the beach this weekend, and it showed the change in time slot, so I went ahead and rescheduled it. So at least it's still being broadcast, it's just that it will get a whole lot less exposure at 3 AM than the prime time slot it had originally.
post #48 of 128 Old 06-21-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I'm just incredibly miffed that after 3 years skiffy would finally bring it over only to banish it to the wee hours after two eps. I mean, why bother? They don't get an HD version of the show, then they totally screw it over with the time slot. I've hated them since they canceled Farscape, and this just brings that hate right back to the forefront. -_-

I guess I would be more angry with them if I didn't have a DVR. Scifi doesn't run very much in HD so I wasn't surprised.

I was looking for alternate sources to watch the rest of Charlie Jade the dvd set was over $160 on ebay.
post #49 of 128 Old 06-21-2008, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I would be more angry with them if I didn't have a DVR. Scifi doesn't run very much in HD so I wasn't surprised.

I was looking for alternate sources to watch the rest of Charlie Jade the dvd set was over $160 on ebay.

Owning the dvd set myself, I was more concerned with the show's popularity increasing to the point where somehow someway a second season is produced. That doesn't seem likely if they banish it to the wee hours.
post #50 of 128 Old 06-21-2008, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Is two episodes a new low for that Friday slot or did they kill one after a single episode?

post #51 of 128 Old 06-21-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Owning the dvd set myself, I was more concerned with the show's popularity increasing to the point where somehow someway a second season is produced. That doesn't seem likely if they banish it to the wee hours.

That would of been one hell of an amazing development since the show was canceled almost 3 years ago.
post #52 of 128 Old 06-22-2008, 11:23 AM

All 21 episodes:

http://www.veoh.com/userVideos.html?......u&offset=80

You have to register, turn off the the family filter thing, and download the programs.
post #53 of 128 Old 06-22-2008, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would of been one hell of an amazing development since the show was canceled almost 3 years ago.

So? What's a few years. It's not like we're talking about bringing back Twin Peaks or anything. The show is finally picked up for US syndication, so you can get financing for a second season. So you write the scripts, bring the actors back, and shoot the second season. From what I've read of the production of this show dating back from when the first season was airing, that was the plan all along, because they knew going into it that they wouldn't be able to get the backing for 2+ seasons unless they could get on American TV.
post #54 of 128 Old 06-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

It seems different, but a show should really try to grab you on the first episode.
There's so much stuff out there to devote your time to.
post #55 of 128 Old 06-26-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Watched the third episode, and it's building a story. A complicated story, but it's building. I'd like to know how the company chairman's psycho son is able to move so easily between universes. The role of the investigative reporter is standard issue - an exposition device. The black girl and Charlie, then, are the only other people besides psycho-son who have moved between the universes...? P-S is apparently narrating now, another exposition device, but I appreciate it. This thing is pretty murky. And I do wish they'd stop, please stop, that hackneyed technique of breaking up a camera shot so it looks like frames are missing. Geez, I hate that. But overall, the production values are pretty solid.

Thank goodness for DVR's since Skippy exiled it to the TV Dead Zone. But I'm still in. Scratching my head a bit, but I'm hanging in there. Anybody still with me?
post #56 of 128 Old 06-26-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw the series on BetaMax tapes a friend brought down, so I'm just archiving the series right now. (not actively watching) I think you have to stick with it for quite a while. I remember it as a full season arc.

post #57 of 128 Old 06-27-2008, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

I saw the series on BetaMax tapes a friend brought down, so I'm just archiving the series right now. (not actively watching) I think you have to stick with it for quite a while. I remember it as a full season arc.

Betamax?? Now, there's a blast from the past. How in the world did he get them on beta? I have an old Sony Super Betamax that's still peripherally part of my system. How about that. But that copy of yours is going to look like fertilizer. Best wait on the DVD's, or DVR Skiffy's telecasts on Tuesday morning or whenever they've exiled it off to.
post #58 of 128 Old 06-27-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Betamax?? Now, there's a blast from the past. How in the world did he get them on beta? I have an old Sony Super Betamax that's still peripherally part of my system. How about that. But that copy of yours is going to look like fertilizer. Best wait on the DVD's, or DVR Skiffy's telecasts on Tuesday morning or whenever they've exiled it off to.

He recorded them from a Bell Expressvue satellite receiver to a super BetaHiFi machine at BII speed. Surprisingly, the picture was pretty good but I didn't back them up to DVDs at the time. (tracking and dropouts) BII has a 270 line horizontal resolution, (compared to VHS 230 line) and has twice the chroma resolution as VHS or S-VHS. (S-VHS has the same chroma design as standard VHS, only the luminance has higher resolution.)

Some of the later things he did were at BI-S, which has over 300 line resolution. (ED-Beta is 500 line, slightly higher than DVD)

I'm currently recording them from the dark of night showing. Babylon 5 was on at 1AM here, so late night recordings are not unusual. I have 5 tuners in my HTPC setups, the VCRs are standby only. (I was a Sony Factory Auth. servicer for 25 years) I have finally moved my friend to a DVD recorder for transfers.

post #59 of 128 Old 06-29-2008, 06:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post

Not in HD, that means I'm going to download and watch it. I would be satisfied if SCIFI HD would at least just zoom in and crop off that black frame, but NO they choose to windowbox it.

Total crap.

Next time you are in a theater, take a gander at the width of the screen compared to its height. Do the same with your standard 4:3 TV at home, if you still own one.

Letterboxing is necessary to fit a WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE movie frame onto a squarish regular TV. Those black bars on top/bottom (or left/right if viewing 4:3 material on a 16:9 LCD or plasma) are not hiding any material.

As one of no doubt many purists here throughout AVS, I'll take letterboxing anyday over losing the context of the movie I'm watching.
post #60 of 128 Old 06-29-2008, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Point of order:

The OP was complaining about Windowboxing (aka, the Postage Stamp Effect, aka black bars on all 4 sides) not Letterboxing.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page