Charlie Jade on Sci-Fi HD - Lost fans, you DON'T want to miss this show! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 128 Old 09-15-2008, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Let me guess ... the longer the link stays down, the more stable the "membrane" between 'verses, the harder it is for 01 to travel ... writes itself

Could be, although I was wondering if the bullet-hit 01 took somehow scrambled his molecules enough to interfere with his cross-universe traveling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 128 Old 09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This week on 'Charlie Jade': Charlie gets the Blues! Sew Sew gets lucky! Karl gets busted! And Reena gets some payback! (or so she thinks, for a minute anyway). Charlie spills his beans to Blues. So now Blues has all the clues and things should get interesting now that Charlie has an ally on the police force, if not a playmate (bet that situation doesn't last).

No 01 Boxer this week, so that was kind of a bummer, but we did get a new character introduced: lethal-in-leather Shikari, ace Vexcor assassin. And we needed a new Vexcor heavy since Ren Porter was dispatched last week by Bad-Ass Reena, who collided head-on, as it were, with Sweet Reena thanks to Karl. My guess is her next move is to find Charlie. Everybody's looking for Charlie out there in the Betaverse. We did get a typically juicy scene with Essa Romkin doing her evil machiavellian thing to Sew Sew, who caved more quickly than I thought he would. Ditto how quickly Blues jumped Charlie's alpha-bones. At least the boy let boys be boys before bailing.
post #93 of 128 Old 09-18-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

We did get a typically juicy scene with Essa Romkin doing her evil machiavellian thing to Sew Sew, who caved more quickly than I thought he would.

The question is what will he do now that he's "on the inside" ... of Vexcor that is. ... What???
post #94 of 128 Old 09-18-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

The question is what will he do now that he's "on the inside" ... of Vexcor that is. ... What???

Perhaps we'll get Charlie and Reena working against Vexcor in Betaverse, and Sew Sew plotting against them from within in Alphaverse. Sort of a two-pronged attack...? But Sew Sew would have to be tipped off as to the threat they pose, and now 01 can't travel between as he once did (maybe he'll get his mojo back at some point).
post #95 of 128 Old 10-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Major plot movement these past two weeks.
So, how many episodes are left - less than 5? And for those that know, does this series end with dignity? Or was it cancelled with a bunch of loose ends hanging?
post #96 of 128 Old 10-03-2008, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
People are going to have to make their own minds up about the ending. Personally speaking, the first time I watched CJ, when it was first airing and a few people were posting it to usenet with weeks going by between episodes, I thought there wasn't much sense of closure at all with the ending. But when I bought the R2J DVD set and had the opportunity to watch the show under better circumstances, I actually thought the ending was very well done, where the writers did a great job of providing closure for the major storyline of the 1st season, while opening up some real WTF possibilities for a second season. I don't know if that had more to do with the fact that I was able to watch the season at a more reasonable pace, or that it was my second viewing, so I understood everything a little better, probably a little of both, but I will be interested in seeing what people view the series for the first time will think. I will say though that there is much better closure to the finale of CJ than to other shows that got canceled mid-drift, like Twin Peaks, Farscape, Carnivale etc. Not that that's saying much, but still.
post #97 of 128 Old 10-03-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Was wondering where everybody was...

I think there are 3 episodes left. I am going to have to get the R2 DVD set. I don't know if my Marantz DV7600 universal player will play R2 DVD's or if there's a "hack" code that will enable such capability. I do have an old Samsung 941 that I believe can be made region-free with a simple hack (I was able to make it upconvert over component connections with one).

This is a series I could watch over and over. Just superb, mind-bending stuff. Hey, now Charlie's back in Alphaverse, and 01's committed patricide. This should be a wild ride to the finish. Sure do wish there was someway to get a second season done, but too much time has probably already passed. Still, you never know...
post #98 of 128 Old 10-05-2008, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Check out the UK DVD release. Much cheaper than the Japanese release, and unfortunately the Japanese release has some really bad, and I mean really bad moiring issues in certain scenes. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charlie-Jade...3259938&sr=1-1

It's like $40!!! I paid ~$130. But ya, you should definitely get the DVD set. They've been saying since the first season aired that the plan was to get on US TV, and then get investors on board to pay for a second season. Of course, skiffy kind of screwed up that plan by dropping the show in the wilderness of the AM, but you never know. And purchasing a DVD set certainly can't hurt the effort to show people there is a desire for more CJ. And archi, when you see the final scene, you might become an even more hardcore advocate for this show that I've been these last couple years! You think your mind has been bent so far!
post #99 of 128 Old 10-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the British compilation available in a Region 1 version?
post #100 of 128 Old 10-06-2008, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd View Post

Is the British compilation available in a Region 1 version?

No. Hence the dilemma. Need a region-free DVD player, or a way to hack the one you got.
post #101 of 128 Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek View Post

Check out the UK DVD release. Much cheaper than the Japanese release, and unfortunately the Japanese release has some really bad, and I mean really bad moiring issues in certain scenes. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charlie-Jade...3259938&sr=1-1

It's like $40!!! I paid ~$130. But ya, you should definitely get the DVD set. They've been saying since the first season aired that the plan was to get on US TV, and then get investors on board to pay for a second season. Of course, skiffy kind of screwed up that plan by dropping the show in the wilderness of the AM, but you never know. And purchasing a DVD set certainly can't hurt the effort to show people there is a desire for more CJ. And archi, when you see the final scene, you might become an even more hardcore advocate for this show that I've been these last couple years! You think your mind has been bent so far!

After a little research here on AVS, I was able to easily hack my Marantz DV7600 to be region-free and pulled the string on the R-2 DVD set from Amazon UK. Woo-hoo! At least I'll get to watch the last 2 eps from that instead of Skiffy's letterboxing.

Last ep was interesting, going back to Charlie's Sam Spade-like days, complete with deadly femme fatal. Looks like they're definitely setting Charlie up for some late-season heroics in terms of saving Betaverse; he cares now, dadgumit! Enjoyed seeing how he met up with Sew Sew as well. And more Blues is always welcome; love both those actors. Have no idea where they're going with 01; is he going to make a claim to become head of the company? Will that lead to a showdown with Essa Romkin? Can't wait to find out!
post #102 of 128 Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, hopefully your Maranz can play PAL disks. I should have pointed that out as well, as the UK version is PAL, which of course is different from region coding.
post #103 of 128 Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, hopefully your Maranz can play PAL disks. I should have pointed that out as well, as the UK version is PAL, which of course is different from region coding.

Uh oh. I'm a little shaky on the whole "NTSC" vs. "PAL" thing. In the "Setup" menu of the Marantz, one of the video settings is "TV Output" and gives 3 choices: Multi (default), NTSC, and PAL. My Sony 34XBR910 CRT HDTV is native NTSC, I presume. The DVD manual says to set the DVD output to NTSC in order to play PAL disks on a NTSC TV. I think that's what it says, anyway. We'll see how it goes. This Marantz universal player is supposed to play any shiny disk you shove into it (except HD/BD, of course).
post #104 of 128 Old 10-09-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 672
I need to stay away from this thread for spoilers. I've been wathcing this on SciFi and with only a few episodes left I don't want anything spoiled for me. This is the only SD show I watch currently, but I like it even though it's not in HD.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #105 of 128 Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No spoilers here; just comments on the episodes as they air on SciFi.
post #106 of 128 Old 10-09-2008, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Since I saw the show before, I'm just rewatching the SciFi versions while listening to the podcast/commentaries posted at Charlie Jade Verse. There is a lot of explanation on the fact that they intend for the viewer to follow along and figure things out themselves, rather than have everything laid out on a silver platter. (and without recaps for idiots that weren't paying attention, or credits with spoilers that destroy suspense)

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #107 of 128 Old 10-10-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

Since I saw the show before, I'm just rewatching the SciFi versions while listening to the podcast/commentaries posted at Charlie Jade Verse. There is a lot of explanation on the fact that they intend for the viewer to follow along and figure things out themselves, rather than have everything laid out on a silver platter. (and without recaps for idiots that weren't paying attention, or credits with spoilers that destroy suspense)

While they don't start each episode with a "...previously on Charlie Jade,..." recap, they do make fairly regular flashbacks to earlier events in previous episodes to keep the viewer up to speed. It's a complicated plotline, and they're not afraid to revisit key points at times. Doesn't really bother me even though I'm one who pays pretty close attention as the episode airs (and watches them twice). I realize not everyone is that attentive; and the producers did as well.
post #108 of 128 Old 10-10-2008, 11:24 AM

Hey. Thanks to everyone on this thread for recommending this show. After seeing one episode I liked it enough to commit to buying it on DVD. I wanted to let you all know there are other options than Japan and the UK for buying it on DVD.

CD WOW USA, a Hong Kong based site that targets the UK with grey market DVD and CD imports, has the Australian R4 available for $23.99 US shipped. I have ordered from them before and it usually takes a week for something to arrive. Beats the UK version at over $40.
post #109 of 128 Old 10-10-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjckc View Post

Hey. Thanks to everyone on this thread for recommending this show. After seeing one episode I liked it enough to commit to buying it on DVD. I wanted to let you all know there are other options than Japan and the UK for buying it on DVD.

CD WOW USA, a Hong Kong based site that targets the UK with grey market DVD and CD imports, has the Australian R4 available for $23.99 US shipped. I have ordered from them before and it usually takes a week for something to arrive. Beats the UK version at over $40.

I would wonder if it's the same DVD set that's available in R-2...? All sets are not created equally, as Capek mentioned the Japanese version having severe production issues (Is Japan R-4?). It does look as if the box cover art is different in the two versions.
post #110 of 128 Old 10-10-2008, 01:58 PM

Japan is actually R-2, (oddly) the same as the UK. They use NTSC, though, whereas the UK uses PAL.

Australia also uses PAL, so if the R-4 discs share anything with one of the other editions it's more likely the UK one (but who knows...).
post #111 of 128 Old 10-14-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, got my R-2/PAL DVD set in today and popped it in to watch this penultimate episode - "Flesh" - of the Greatest Little Sci-Fi Show Nobody's Seen. Wow!! (and not just the vastly upgraded PQ; odd that there's only a stereo soundtrack) Lots happened, yeah? Charlie and Sew Sew took down Essa Romkin and Charlie's decided where home is. Unlike Essa, 01 has gotten away with murder and is now running the Vexcor show. But he looks like he's goin' a bit wobbly, as the Brits would say, on shutting down the Link! And Essa, bless her malevolent little heart, sure didn't seem too blue about how it all went down (great maniacal laugh by Michelle Burgers as she's led away, BTW). What's she hiding?

Good to see our old pal Karl again, and what's up with Reena, those two toasted dudes, and that damn box...? What world is she going to destroy (nice use of the Oppenheimer quote, a Betaverse exclusive I should think)...? How do the Men in the Gray Suits figure into all this??

Only one more episode of Charlie Jade??? Say it ain't so!!!
post #112 of 128 Old 10-15-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm glad to hear that your set arrived and that the PQ is as good as the R2J release. So how long are you gonna hold out before you watch the last ep? You gonna make it to next tues to stay with skiffy's schedule, or are you gonna cheat and watch it the next opportunity you have?

I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the finale. Not to give anything away,.....no, better to not even mention it. Like I said, just looking forward to reading your reaction.
post #113 of 128 Old 10-15-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm glad to hear that your set arrived and that the PQ is as good as the R2J release. So how long are you gonna hold out before you watch the last ep? You gonna make it to next tues to stay with skiffy's schedule, or are you gonna cheat and watch it the next opportunity you have?

Oh, it's a battle. The set is just sitting there, looking at me, doling out great tidal waves of temptation... Must. Resist. Must wait. Next Tuesday. Must....

Damn. Sure did pick a bad week to stop smokin' crack.
post #114 of 128 Old 10-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
01 is just a great character. In lockup, talking to Charlie and Sew Sew, and he decides right then would be a good time to sit ont he thrown and drop a load. Literally grunting one out while talking to them. A LOL moment for me.
post #115 of 128 Old 10-16-2008, 04:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

01 is just a great character. In lockup, talking to Charlie and Sew Sew, and he decides right then would be a good time to sit ont he thrown and drop a load. Literally grunting one out while talking to them. A LOL moment for me.

I haven't listened to this week's podcast yet, but I'm willing to bet that was all Michael Filipowitz. They all said he's just an amazing actor who brings all kinds of stuff, some good, some not-so-much, to the table (I would put that little bit of color in the latter category - waaaay too much). He always wanted the first image of 01 during an episode do be doing something off the wall, like painting his toenails, etc.
post #116 of 128 Old 10-17-2008, 11:25 AM

My Charlie Jade Australian DVD set arrived yesterday from CD WOW. So far pretty impressed with the PQ. This set also has 5.1 sound.

It includes the "bonus episode" and a couple of extra features.

The set has title screens for the Australian DVD distributor, suggesting this isn't a direct port of the UK version. Although the set is in PAL format, it is NOT region coded. So any player that can read or upconvert 576i should be able to play it back for you on your set up.
post #117 of 128 Old 10-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:

What is the "bonus episode?" (Or was this already discussed and I don't remember?)
post #118 of 128 Old 10-17-2008, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My Charlie Jade Australian DVD set arrived yesterday from CD WOW. So far pretty impressed with the PQ. This set also has 5.1 sound.

The set has title screens for the Australian DVD distributor, suggesting this isn't a direct port of the UK version. Although the set is in PAL format, it is NOT region coded. So any player that can read or upconvert 576i should be able to play it back for you on your set up.

It's definitely different from the UK version, which doesn't have that bonus episode (a clip/catch-up show, as I understand it), no extra features (what are the ones you have?), and no 5.1 soundtrack. Looks like I pulled the string a little too soon; shoulda' gone with the Aussie and saved about 15 clams to boot.

Wonder why the differences?
post #119 of 128 Old 10-18-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:

It's definitely different from the UK version, which doesn't have that bonus episode (a clip/catch-up show, as I understand it), no extra features (what are the ones you have?), and no 5.1 soundtrack. Looks like I pulled the string a little too soon; shoulda' gone with the Aussie and saved about 15 clams to boot.

This actually happens a lot with non-US produced series. A good example for wildly different DVD versions depending on the country is Farscape.

In most other countries, their broadcasters face strict regulation and programming quotas. They must produce a certain amount of domestic programing (a key issue in other English-speaking countries where American shows are easily imported for cheap), often with subsidies and tax credits, and commission a certain amount of programing from independent studios (to counteract there only being a couple networks). Often these independent studios retain the distribution rights to their programing, but lack the infrastructure to distribute it on home video. So instead they sell the home video rights market by market to other independent companies that specialize in the distribution of this type of content.

So long story short, different companies in the UK and Australia ended up with the rights to Charlie Jade and came up with their own extras.

BTW, here are the Charlie Jade extras:

Behind the Scenes: 22 minutes long, has interviews with actors and producers, some bloopers. Produced by Space/CHUM tv in Canada.

Promo: 2 minute long trailer produced by Park Entertainment

Season 1 recaps: basically "previously on" segments that are cut out of the beginning of the regular episodes.

Episode 16A clipshow. Is in 4:3 fullscreen. About 44 minutes long.
post #120 of 128 Old 10-20-2008, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All I gotta say is $120.

So, tomorrow's the night huh? I'm impressed with your resolve, I would have broken down days ago.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page