Charlie Jade on Sci-Fi HD - Lost fans, you DON'T want to miss this show! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 128 Old 10-22-2008, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Ok then ... pretty bizarre ending. Was it just me or did it seem like Sciffy was a bit off sync with the commercial breaks? Folks who may have seen the final episode from another source feel free to chime in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 128 Old 10-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It wasn't just you. They were going to commercial mid-scene, in some cases.
post #123 of 128 Old 10-22-2008, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Great ... ... And since there are no repeats scheduled ....
post #124 of 128 Old 10-23-2008, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to say that I enjoyed this series and thank the gods for DVRs.

What a sad commentary about the ScFi Channel when the give "ghost" hunting and cheap SFX jokes the better time slots. What next, bass fishing and Martha Stewart?

Perhaps the Channel should be named the Seldom SciFi and Major Moronic (You won't these anywhere else) Movie Channel.

We'll miss you Charlie.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #125 of 128 Old 10-25-2008, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
First, just let me say how glad I am that, even through all their incompetence, a whole new audience was able to discover this great show. This wasn't exactly how I imagined Charlie Jade breaking onto the American TV landscape, but compared to a few years ago, CJ is in a better place because of it than if skiffy had never picked the show up.

As to the show itself, I guess the people who stuck out the odd airing times now understand why I called the climax and resolution of this show the most ambitious I've ever come across. I didn't watch CJ while it was airing; I like to space out my rewatchings of my favorite shows, to keep them from getting stale, and I had rewatched CJ only a few months before the skiffy announcement was made, but these are my thoughts on the ending from my previous viewings. The meat of the show is built on a certain select group of characters being able to move through space, from "verse" to "verse". That quality is very apparent, as it makes up a large chunk of the plot. On the other hand, the show has a unique storytelling style, using something of a "remix" style to bring certain elements of the story back into focus, as the writers saw fit. The genius of this show, from my perspective, is that somewhere along the way, or from the getgo, the writers saw the chance to meld the "form" of the show to its "function". Shows where the characters travel through space are a dime a dozen, but via CJ's "remix" style, the dynamic of traveling through time, without going all Bill and Ted on the audience, was added to the picture. So for me, the question the final episode, and the final scene of the final episode especially poses is not WTF, but when. For me, the only present moment that has existed from ep 1 onward is the rows of "hospital" beds where we find Charlie at the end of that final episode, with Charlie living a kind of quasi-life akin the the hero of Philip K Dick's Ubik, with the Men in Grey Suits playing the part of Runciter. Season 1 is mearly a preable, showing the first oh so subtle stirrings of a man waking from a coma the doctors never expected him to wake from. The real story begins once the patient opens his eyes, which I'm convinced would be the opening shot of season two, with Charlie waking up to the "real" world. As to what the second shot would be, well, that's anyone's guess.

Doesn't exactly quell one's thirst for a second season, huh?
post #126 of 128 Old 10-25-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Interesting thoughts, Capek. I have tried to post my initial impressions of the final episode for several days now, but the posts keep disappearing after a period of time. It's happening everywhere Archiguy drops into a thread on AVS. Something's wrong with my membership. Before I spend another half hour composing another one that will just vanish like the Men in Gray Suits wanted the Alphaverse to, I've got to try to figure out what's wrong, just like Charlie.

I know! I composed my reply at like 2 am last night on a friends computer, slightly drunk, and your message wasn't there anymore, which for some reason really confused me. But I did have a chance to read it, and I was definitely commiserating with your post-finale feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I can say this quickly, again, about that final scene though: WTF!! That's an especially cruel way for a Charlie Jade fan to have to say goodbye, ain't it?

Ya, the first time I watched this show I had the exact same feelings as you. It was a total WTF moment. That, and the crappy quality of the caps I had archived were two of the things that pushed me to spend $120 of the first DVD set available. But watching it a second time locked in the feelings I expressed in the previous post, and from that time on I've viewed CJ's ending as my favorite "show that got axed a few seasons too short" ending. Carnivale's sucks, Farscape's sucks, Twin Peak's really sucks, but after watching the show a few times, I personally don't think CJ fits into that category. It might just be semantics, but for me there's something that keeps CJ's ending from being in that tortuous realm. I think the reason for that is what I was talking about wrt to the "remix" style of the show coming into a new light after you've watched the whole thing. Of course in the show there is a linear story being told, but with the editing style the show creators employ, it becomes increasingly clear (to me at least) and then crystal clear once that final scene passes before our eyes, that Charlie had been spending all 20 eps trying to remind himself of a decision he'd already made, an action he'd already taken. That's what all those visions were, that's why he was able to travel from verse to verse, because for some reason the worlds as the Alpha-, Beta- and Gama-'s experienced them weren't real to him. Why that was so, and exactly what had led him (and 01, and assuredly others) to be so unique are just a few of the questions that a second season would no doubt address. Hopefully, and I'm not ready to say it's been too long for them to restart shooting, skiffy's craptastic treatment will be enough to get CJ a R1 DVD release, which will allow the backers of the first season to recoup more of their investment and hopefully earn a little change on top of it, and it will be enough for them to invest in a second season. It certainly doesn't hurt that the creators of the show view it as their baby. I get the same vibe from them that I got from Brian Henson after Farscape got canceled. Against all odds, Farscape found the funding for a TV movie, so hopefully lightning will strike twice and we'll get more Charlie Jade.
post #127 of 128 Old 10-26-2008, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek View Post

Doesn't exactly quell one's thirst for a second season, huh?

Actually, I thought that final scene was just lame ... a pitiful poke in the eye ... everything they built up over the entire season erased ... just a dream ... ha ha ha ha fooled ya ... Charlie's really in the matrix ... blech!

Better than many SciFi shows up to that point, though.
post #128 of 128 Old 10-26-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Actually, I thought that final scene was just lame ... a pitiful poke in the eye ... everything they built up over the entire season erased ... just a dream ... ha ha ha ha fooled ya ... Charlie's really in the matrix ... blech!

Better than many SciFi shows up to that point, though.

Not just a dream. Prologue. Basically the character's back story. Just because we weren't experiencing it as it actually happened to him, but instead in some coma-like state where he had probably been reliving it Lord knows how many times doesn't change the fact that all of that information was absolutely relevant and necessary for the audience to understand who Charlie Jade is; someone who went from devil may care to someone who would, and did, sacrifice himself to save three universes. It also serves the purpose of making the audience wonder which of those Charlies will be the one to wake up, the hero or the anti-hero. For me CJ was like some Oliver Sacks case study on LSD, I wanna see what the hell's gonna actually happen when Charlie wakes up!
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page