long HDMI cable CL2, CL3, HDMI 1.2a, HDMI 1.3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-26-2008, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am running some HDMI in my walls. The length will be about 70 or so feet, perhaps just 60 feet. I am looking at cables and I see ratings like "CL2, CL3, HDMI 1.2a, HDMI 1.3". The CL3 are quite a bit more money than the CL2. I will eventually get a Blue Ray, but other than that all my signals run from a SageTV box. What formats do I need for HDMI, if I save a few bucks by going CL2 am I limiting anything down the road?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-21-2009, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_smith1969 View Post

I am running some HDMI in my walls. The length will be about 70 or so feet, perhaps just 60 feet. I am looking at cables and I see ratings like "CL2, CL3, HDMI 1.2a, HDMI 1.3". The CL3 are quite a bit more money than the CL2. I will eventually get a Blue Ray, but other than that all my signals run from a SageTV box. What formats do I need for HDMI, if I save a few bucks by going CL2 am I limiting anything down the road?

Hi Pat,

Just to let you know for lengths above ~50 feet you will probably need a cable with an active repeater. These cables are quite expensive. As far as the difference between CL2 and CL3, these are both ratings regarding how the outside of the cable burns. CL3 is a higher temperature rating. The purpose of this is to pass electrical inspections when you decide to sell your home. CL2 is the rating for homes, CL3 is generally required in commercial or industrial buildings. CL3 is sometimes more expensive but that has less to do with the manufacturing cost and and more to do with what retailers think they can charge. CL3 Cables at estore.circuitassembly.com are actually less than most CL2 cables.

As far as HDMI 1.2 and 1.3 these are specifications put out by HDMI.org and almost all cables you see now will meet 1.3 even if they don't specifically say so.

So basically, no CL2 and CL3 have nothing to do with signal quality, pay more attention to the gauge of the cable you are buying, for 25+ foot you'll want a 24 AWG cable.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I know this is resurrecting the dead, but I want to run HDMI cables that are > 50 feet and < 75 feet in my walls so I can locate my equipment in a back room and not by the TV.

Does anyone have recommendations for HDMI extenders or HDMI cables that can do the job for a PS4 and/or an XBox One?

Thanks a lot.

[EDIT]Subscribing[/EDIT]
post #4 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
post #5 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
I know this is resurrecting the dead, but I want to run HDMI cables that are > 50 feet and < 75 feet in my walls so I can locate my equipment in a back room and not by the TV.

Does anyone have recommendations for HDMI extenders or HDMI cables that can do the job for a PS4 and/or an XBox One?

Thanks a lot.

[EDIT]Subscribing[/EDIT]
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hd...nnector-world/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I second the Redmere cables. I use them and they work perfectly. Just remember the Redmere cables are directional and must be installed correctly or you will not get any video.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Thanks. Ironically I found this thread through searching. Once I bumped it, I realized it was in the wrong forum so I went and created another thread in the right forum.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post
I second the Redmere cables. I use them and they work perfectly. Just remember the Redmere cables are directional and must be installed correctly or you will not get any video.
Thanks for the reminder and vote of confidence for the cable.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Thanks a lot.

[EDIT]Subscribing[/EDIT]

How do you control the equipment that is not in the same room, especially 50 to 75 feet away?

I am using XBOX as extender for Windows Media Center over Cat5e wiring.

That is all I had to run, regular network.

I use XBOX remote to control it at the point of use, and it gets all the same Cable, OTA and recorded TV, as well as digital media library that I get on the Windows Machine.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #10 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
How do you control the equipment that is not in the same room, especially 50 to 75 feet away?
Home automation with Crestron.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another vote for Redmere cables from Monoprice. I just installed two 50' cables, one of the previously linked ones and this one: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Both work flawlessly.

Just keep in mind that, as previously mentioned, the cables are directional so be sure they are installed correctly. Test them before installing and keep the dust caps on the ends while installing (better yet, use painter's tape over the ends that are being fished through walls to keep them in good shape).

The grapes are free!
post #12 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
Another vote for Redmere cables from Monoprice. I just installed two 50' cables, one of the previously linked ones and this one: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Both work flawlessly.

Just keep in mind that, as previously mentioned, the cables are directional so be sure they are installed correctly. Test them before installing and keep the dust caps on the ends while installing (better yet, use painter's tape over the ends that are being fished through walls to keep them in good shape).
Thanks for another vote of confidence. I just bought some redmere cables from Monoprice. It is the cheapest of the available options open to me.

Just out of interest, why did you buy two different cables of the same length and not two of the same?
post #13 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Easier to keep track of which is which!

But seriously, no particular reason - was just curious to see what the difference was. Didn't matter all that much to me since both were never to be seen again.

The grapes are free!
post #14 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
Easier to keep track of which is which!
I should have guessed.

I cut my own Cat 6 cable cut to size and I have colour coded the wires so I know at a glance if I am about to break the backbone of my whole network or just a single machine.

Even with the colour coding, I have still managed to bring my entire network down

Last edited by Garet Jax; 06-13-2014 at 02:02 PM.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Quote:
Home automation with Crestron.

Ouch! How much did it cost to have that installed? Looks like they only sell to dealers, not individuals.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #16 of 16 Old 06-18-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Ouch! How much did it cost to have that installed? Looks like they only sell to dealers, not individuals.
A LOT more than it was worth. Probably the biggest regret of my life. It has been nothing but trouble since day one.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page