Cable TV Tuner for PIP use? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-24-2008, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey everyone,

I am trying to find a good way to add a Cable tuner (or maybe aNTSC/ATSC tuner) to my entertainment center to be used as a source for my HDTVs PIP.

The idea is to be watching something, on any input, and be able to use this new tuner to be able to watch a TV channel via PIP.

I have a Vizio VO42LF
The manual on page 50, found here < http://www.vizio.com/assets/0/92/94/...d5abd706fd.pdf >, states that using the PIP with certain inputs won't always allow certain other inputs (Ex: TV and an AV input can't be used at the same time, EX2:HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 couldn't be used together).

So what is my best choice here? I thought to just use a VCR and just use RCA (AV) input into the TV, but that won't let me watch two TV channels at once.

Does anybody know of a good product to solve my thirst for PIP???

Would one of those DTV conversion boxes work for tuning cable or just ATSC conversion?

Is there a cheap VCR or DVD recorder that could output over component? (that way I could watch TV and this new tuner at the same time).

Thanks for any help!!!

(FYI: the vizio is awesome)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-24-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek987 View Post

Would one of those DTV conversion boxes work for tuning cable or just ATSC conversion?

Only ATSC for the coupon eligible ones. If you used an antenna, it would work. Cable needs QAM (if the cable is digital.) I think there are some that are dual ATSC/QAMs that aren't eligible for the government coupon, but are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek987 View Post

Is there a cheap VCR or DVD recorder that could output over component? (that way I could watch TV and this new tuner at the same time).

The only VCRs that I know of that use component are the DVHS ones, and they're not exactly cheap. I believe there are DVD recorders with QAM tuners that use component, but I'm not sure of the specific models.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 4 Old 08-26-2008, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Any Vizio owners that have tried something like this? (or any other brand of tv with PIP)?

I am guessing most people use a Cable Box or Satellite Box via HDMI and then use TV tuner on the TV (NTSC/QAM) for the PIP source.
I just don't have nor want to pay for a comcast box.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 AM

I just bought the VO42LF last night and was wondering the same thing about how to get the PIP feature to work.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page