Coax "F" cable to DVI/VGA/Component video + RCA audio converter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-10-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Coax "F" cable line (standard def) that I need split into RCA L/R audio + one of the following video: DVI, VGA or Component, but NOT Composite (yellow RCA).

My projector accepts all of the above video inputs and works flawlessly with wii (480p using component video) and pc (1024x768 native resolution using dvi).

I have tried connecting the coax to a VCR, then going from Composite out (VCR) to Composite in (projector), but the image quality is horrendous so I'd like to use a higher capacity connection medium such as those listed above.

I have included an image of what I'd like to achieve, but I'll attempt to "draw" it out here too:

[audio+video]: Coax "F" cable -> [? converter] -> [audio]: RCA L/R + [video]: {dvi, vga, or component}

I am looking to achieve 480p, which composite video and s-video cannot output. DVD players don't seem to include coax input like VCRs do; does anyone know of a converter that I can use to achieve this setup? Please provide links and solutions that are < $100. Thanks in advance!
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-10-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
If using an antenna or cable, I'd suggest an HD capable receiver. Other than that... you're stuck with 480i through your VCR's tuner/modulator.

No other way to convert an RF signal to DVI/VGA/YPbPr/HDMI and/or audio.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-18-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

If using an antenna or cable, I'd suggest an HD capable receiver. Other than that... you're stuck with 480i through your VCR's tuner/modulator.

No other way to convert an RF signal to DVI/VGA/YPbPr/HDMI and/or audio.

Your reply indicates you may have an answer to a related problem I have. I have a standard TV, a non HD Dish satellite receiver and a new Yamaha AVR. Until I upgrade to HD TV, is there any way to extract HD 5.1 sound from my OTA coax input? I can input my coax directly into the satellite box and then out to the AVR via optical, but I'll need to rework the connections to the TV and I'm still unsure if I'll get more than 2 channel stereo. Thanks.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-19-2008, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
You can try optical audio from the satellite receiver to the Yamaha AVR. However whether you get 5.1 will depend on what channel you are receiving. With a non HD satellite receiver most channels are probably not 5.1.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-19-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Try the optical from the sat box to the AVR by all means. There's a very good chance that audio will be "cleaner".

As alluded to by HDMI Guy, you won't get Dolby Digital (5.1) from OTA, but it may get encoded to PCM stereo by the satellite receiver. If so, you can then engage Dolby Pro-Logic in the AVR to get "surround sound".

With OTA signals, there is no way to get Dolby Digital audio without an ATSC (digital OTA) receiver. Although, with satellite channels, you may be able to get "true" Dolby Digital on some of the channels/programming.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-19-2008, 02:22 PM

Thanks to HDMI Guy and Ratman.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page