Is there any way to have more space on my DVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-18-2008, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Comcast Digital Cable and their HD package as well as their HD DVR. The problem is, recording all these HD programs fills the DVR's space up quick. Is there any way I can, like, put a bigger hard drive in it or something?

Or can I buy a non-Comcast DVR such as a TiVo and use it with their DVR service? I need answers, man. This extremely limited space is killing me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-19-2008, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
You can offload programs to a DVD with a HDD recorder, like one of those described in the #1 link in my signature, if you don't mind those programs being in SDTV.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-19-2008, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Is the box a Scientific Atlanta DVR, or a Motorola? If it's an SA, you might be able to use an eSATA drive with it for expanding your storage, depending on the software they're running. Unfortunately if it's a Motorola, that's not an option.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-20-2008, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

It's a Motorola.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-21-2008, 10:53 PM

There are a few companies out there who sell add-on HDDs for various DVRs, mainly TiVos. Try googling "add space to Motorola XXXXX" where XXXXX is the model number. I've done it in the past with my old Directv tivo and it worked fine, I just can't remember the name of the company for the life of me.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-22-2008, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would look at the Tivo route with the cable card slot, but first contact your local cable-co tech support and talk with them.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-22-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naarmraifo View Post

There are a few companies out there who sell add-on HDDs for various DVRs, mainly TiVos. Try googling "add space to Motorola XXXXX" where XXXXX is the model number. I've done it in the past with my old Directv tivo and it worked fine, I just can't remember the name of the company for the life of me.

You can't. The Motorolas don't support an internal drive greater than 160 GB (literally - people have tried swapping in larger drives, it'll use them, but just the first 160 GB - the rest is ignored), and its eSATA and USB ports do nothing (USB gets power, but nothing else). Besides the fact that swapping out drives in a rented box is a bad, bad idea, it's not currently possible *at all* with the Motos. SA 8300HD? Yes. TiVo? Yes. Moto? No dice. Hence my prior followup, and all the other threads about this same subject that have ended in "no, does not work". (And there have been many of them.)
post #8 of 9 Old 11-30-2008, 12:26 PM

If your Moto box has an active firewire port, you can offload to a clunky, ancient D-VHS recorder. This is a pain and expensive, and it doesn't actually keep it on your hard drive. However, it will free up space and enable you to archive the content. I've read posts on how to transfer to a computer HD, but haven't been able to figure out how to do it. It's not just a matter of installing some software and starting the program, but I have seen it work.

Taxes are the price we pay to live in civilization. If you don't like government, move to Somalia.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
watch out on this.

Tivo route with the cable card slot, but first contact your local cable-co tech support and talk with them

My friend has a tivo and loves it but with the card there were severe limitations on what he and his tv can do. On demand and a bunch of stuff are screwed up in our town. He curses the card all the time.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page