Color Stream vs. Component - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-18-2008, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings all. Hope I am posting this in the proper place.

Anyway, I am putting an older 32" TV down in the basement family room. Still has a gorgeous picture with no problems. I also want to put a PS3 down there for the kids to play. The TV is a Toshiba Model 32A41. It has composite inputs and something called Color Stream inputs. They are labeled Y,Cb,Cr. What is the difference, and will I be able to connect the PS3 using a standard component cable, standard being a Y,Pb,Pr? It does also have the 2 audio inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-18-2008, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey, Welcome to AVS.

Color Steam is just Toshiba's name for component.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

It'll work, but Y Cb Cr is SD, so set the PS3 to 480i. Y Pb Pr is HD. I have a 27" Toshiba in the bedroom with Colorstream Y Cb Cr, and was surprised it doesn't even take 480p. Although 480i looks much better over those ports than S-Video or Composite video.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-21-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

It'll work, but Y Cb Cr is SD, so set the PS3 to 480i. Y Pb Pr is HD. I have a 27" Toshiba in the bedroom with Colorstream Y Cb Cr, and was surprised it doesn't even take 480p. Although 480i looks much better over those ports than S-Video or Composite video.

Not true; I have a Toshiba CRT RPTV with what it refers to as ColorStream inputs. I originally had my Series3 TiVo connected to it, and it worked fine up to 1080i HD resolution. (I now have it connected via HDMI through my Onkyo receiver.)

Also, Y'CbCr specifically refers to a digital colorspace; Y'PbPr is the analog equivalent, which is used via component for US TV sets. Some people refer to component inputs as Y'CbCr, but that's not *technically* correct.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting. I tried my Motorola DVR and Pioneer DVD player at "Progressive Scan", but it was distorted video with diagonal lines across it. I got that TV in 1998 though.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-22-2008, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

This tv is at least 8-10 years old. So.... I am a bit confused. Should I just set the PS3 to 480i or a higher one? What happens if I set it to a higher resolution? Will I be able to see the picture at all? Will I be able to see enough picture to reset the output on the PS3? The PS3 is brand new and has never been used. I guess I am concerned with making a setting on the PS3, it not working, then not being able to see the picture to change it back. I am hoping that it has a default output maybe... like composite?

anyway... many questions, I know. I sincerely appreciate your help and input.

Happy Holidays..
post #7 of 7 Old 12-22-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post

This tv is at least 8-10 years old. So.... I am a bit confused. Should I just set the PS3 to 480i or a higher one? What happens if I set it to a higher resolution? Will I be able to see the picture at all? Will I be able to see enough picture to reset the output on the PS3? The PS3 is brand new and has never been used. I guess I am concerned with making a setting on the PS3, it not working, then not being able to see the picture to change it back. I am hoping that it has a default output maybe... like composite?

anyway... many questions, I know. I sincerely appreciate your help and input.

Happy Holidays..

I would call Toshiba and ask them if the TV will support 480p? In the meantime set the PS3 to 480i and let the kids enjoy for the holidays.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV