Comcast DTA Adaptor Boxes Not Working For Me - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 159 Old 05-03-2014, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

" The cheap adapters are cheap because they have limited capabilities.

What is the cost of "several home theater systems" compared to the cost of renting a box that outputs the desired sound profile vs the adapter?"

That is not the point.  Comcast sold the cheap boxes to the FCC with the statement that they would actually save customers money as they would not have to go to a customers house to enable of disable the cable.   They said the little boxes would give a full hd signal but just would not have the guide  This is a lie as the HD 5.1 sound is not passed.   The sound was on the individual channels when they were on the cable.  It makes plenty of since to me that what the TV station broadcast should be delivered to the cable customers.  If not, then the cable companies are not doing their job.

They are forcing many customers to now spend up to $120 a year for one true HD box.   If a customer has 2 HD TVs with a home theater system it is $240 a year.   This is not acceptable.  I do not even like the $1.99 charge and think they should of left all basic stations on the cable that a digital QAM tuner could pick up.  If we must have a box they should give us what the station broadcast which is what we had before.

I have filed a official complaint to Comcast, the FCC and my local cable committee.  I suggest everyone else do the same.   If I do not get satisfaction then my federal representatives and senators will also here from me.    Comcast in my opinion sweet talked the FCC in allowing them to do this.  Them and all the cable companies should put back the digital channels on the cable until they have a cheap box that passes the sound as well as the pictures in HD.  I think this can be done in the software they down load to activate the boxes.  In the box's set up mode there should be a switch for stereo or 5.1 sound out on the HDMI cable or they should just pass the 5.1 surround sound out on the HDMI cable and let the customers TV or home theater system decode it to stereo or 5.1 sound.

I welcome further comments.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 Old 05-04-2014, 12:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
I understand your complaints, but unfortunately, I don't think it'll go anywhere. The vast majority of people just have a TV, no home theater system to take advantage of the 5.1 signals. So to them, it's a "Who cares?" situation. And they're who you're going to need backing you if you expect to see a change. Comcast is a gigantic corporation with powerful lobbyists.

I wish you luck.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #153 of 159 Old 05-06-2014, 12:37 AM

Liked: 10

You will be surprised how much noise one person can make. 

Are you affiliated with a cable company?  

Most people with a HDTV 40 inches and up have at least a 5.1 system,  After all HDTV and home theater go hand and hand.  Without the 5.1 sound the commercials are not being presented with their full impact.   No content is.  A sporting event or SYFI movies and shows action movies etc. really makes a difference in 5.1. sound.   The cable companies not providing it on their DTA  is not only cheating their customers but the broadcast networks and the people who are paying for the commercials.  Not to mention the people responsible for the programing.  Actors, musicians, producers etc.  It make a big difference.

When a cable company says HD DTA they are saying not only HD picture but HD 5.1 sound.  If the 5.1 sound is not there then they are given us some thing you find on the ground where the bull is kept.

I would really like the cable companies to stop scrambling the digital and HD channels so our TVs can receive .   Its a big waste of our digital tuners in our TVs.   It still fills the FCC's digital mandate.  

If the FCC really wants the cable companies to have all cable go through some kind of box the cable companies must provide a $1.99 box that gives us what we had before by providing a box that works exactly like what we had when the channels were not scrambled.

post #154 of 159 Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
dread2000, I agree with your position. And I had so tried to cut the comast cord.
but instead I merely frayed the cord, and now have 5 outlets with internet hbo service for $75/month including a working HDTV-DVR via cablecard.
(outlet 2 is the free hbo/standard-def box. 3,4,5 are DTAs.)

I won't be making a complaint with the FCC, since that would be too much like complaining to a fox about how well he is guarding the henhouse.

Would cablecard plus appropriate DTV tuner/DVR solve the issue for you? i got my 2-tuner moxi back in service a couple days ago.
Would you consider paying monthly or "lifetime" for a tivo/cablecard setup?
post #155 of 159 Old 05-06-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by drd2000 View Post

You will be surprised how much noise one person can make. 

You're talking about going up against an enormous conglomerate with tons of congressional influence. Comcast was once considering buying Disney, a company that easily imposes its will on copyright law. That's serious power. I'm just saying you got a tough road ahead.

We all like the story of the little guy defeating Goliath, but there's a reason that story is so revered. It's because Goliath almost always wins. Hate to be pessimistic, but I've seen lots of posts like yours over the years and they just don't get anywhere , no matter how much noise they made. And that type of grassroots movement is just not something that happens much.

Like I said, good luck.
Quote:
Are you affiliated with a cable company?  

Not at all. And I don't appreciate the assumption. Just because someone offers a dissenting viewpoint doesn't mean they work for the "enemy."
Quote:
Most people with a HDTV 40 inches and up have at least a 5.1 system, 

I would doubt that. Think of all the homes you've been in. How many surround sound systems have you seen? Be willing to bet it's not that many. Plus, most people buy TVs under 40 inches. We're biased because we're on an AV forum here, but the majority of people? This falls outside their interests. And I can't tell you how many people I've seen that do have a 5.1 system and IT ISN'T HOOKED UP RIGHT. Stereo cables, stereo sources. I tell them about true 5.1 sound and they look at me like I told them you could milk hamsters. Telling them to take up this cause would be like telling them to help me drive a hamster herd with John Wayne. It doesn't make sense to them, because they just don't know anything about this. They say, "well, it works just fine as is" and don't want to make the effort. Seriously, that's how little most seem to care.

Again, I understand your position, but you gotta keep perspective on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post

I won't be making a complaint with the FCC, since that would be too much like complaining to a fox about how well he is guarding the henhouse.

Yeah, that's the other issue. Not only does this fall out of the interest of most Americans, it falls out of interest of most people who could do something about it. Unless you personally know the president or the FCC chairman, it's going to be a Sisyphian struggle.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #156 of 159 Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I'd pose the question...
Why can't (or doesn't) a DTA with HDMI pass DD5.1?
post #157 of 159 Old 05-07-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 265
That's a good question, my guess is that they cheaped out and didn't want to pay the DD license.
post #158 of 159 Old 05-07-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 314
To me, it would seem to be easier to pass DD5.1 as opposed to going to the effort/expense to downmix/convert to PCM stereo.
post #159 of 159 Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

To me, it would seem to be easier to pass DD5.1 as opposed to going to the effort/expense to downmix/convert to PCM stereo.
From a discussion elsewhere, it seems there is an either/or situation with DD licenses. If they pass everything through without changing, they don't even need a license but any downmix (for legacy TVs/Receivers) kicks fees up and adds some copy protection requirements for 5.1. At least that was the impression that I got.

For example, VideoReDo can edit 5.1 streams for output but if you want to change the volume level, they have to output PCM per the DD license. The cost to add DD features would have, at least in the past, added $100 to each installation.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page