Can I stop leasing boxes? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 33 Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
All of this is why I built a Windows Media Center system.

Cableco is eliminating analog (and therefore my beloved ReplayTVs are now doorstops) and going to all digital, so I did some math and it comes out this way: after I build a HTPC and put a Ceton tuner in it and add a couple of XBox units for extenders, my breakeven point vs. paying the cableco to rent their hardware is 30 months.

In addition, Windows Media Center is very flexible and extensible. For example, I've got it skipping commercials, just like my ReplayTVs.

The fact that I don't have to deal with the utter crap that the cableco puts out for STB is a huge bonus.

Oh--and as it turned out, I didn't *have* to get the Ceton tuner card at all. I could havea stuck with simple clear QAM tuners. My cableco, a small one that competes directly with TWC in my area (I love having multiple wired cablecos competing for my business), has chosen to put its old standard analog lineup of 70 channels--what I was getting and recording before--onto clear QAM as their digital transition strategy.

But I'll use the Ceton tuner and a cablecard because of the other part of their strategy: they're also delivering the HD versions of those same standard channels as part of the standard lineup pricing. That's right--if you get the channel at all, you also get the HD version of it. No extra charge for a bogus higher tier. The only requirement is that you use their cableCARD.

Using digital tuners built into my TVs and into my Media Center setup, I now have exactly what I used to have: each TV can watch TV as usual, by flipping channels directly, or can switch over to watch recorded TV. And I now have 6 inbound streams available to record. And I now have HD, which I didn't have before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 04-04-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The way things are headed, many people on this forum will live long enough to talk about "leasing a kidney" (or, other body parts).

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #33 of 33 Old 04-28-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
A quick perusal of TiVo's site says you're looking at around $1400 up front for two TiVos, but you will own them with no extra fees from them.
Unless things changed, if you read the fine print, you still actually don't "own" a TiVo.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page