OK to mix RG6 and RG59 cables? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-15-2009, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just installed an antenna in my attic and needed to extend my RG-6 coaxial cable to reach the atenna, so I found a 5ft RG-59/u cable and extended the reach by putting a coaxial cable coupler (2 ends female) in between the RG6 and RG59.

Is this OK? Loss of quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

With my limited knowledge, and going from memory, rg59 is for analog signals. It does not play well with digital, like from a satellite or digital cable box.

You can try it, it may work with your off air antenna. But I bet you will lose some signal strength. I would find some more rg6 cable.

Just my .02
post #3 of 7 Old 02-15-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
That's fine. RG59 has a little higher loss than does RG6 (~1.5dB/100'@1000MHz), so unless you're talking significant lengths, you should have no problem. Coaxial cable doesn't care if it is analog or digital.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-15-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Looks good on the TV.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-15-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. Looks good on the TV.

That's what really matters...
post #6 of 7 Old 02-21-2009, 11:49 AM

Just wanted to add my $0.02.....

I was told time & time again by satellite installer that RG59 could not be used for sat signals....

In my case, my whole 2nd floor had years previously been wired with RG59 and I wanted to add an D* HD Sat box upstairs. There was no easy way to run new RG6 without drilling & tearing into a wall/ceiling or two.

The installer started trying to convince me that they had to run RG6/rewire to the 2nd floor box which of course was extra $$$ for materials & labor. He said it wouldn't work with RG59, RG6 was required, yada, yada...

Well, to make a long story short, I told him to humor me 1st and hook up the HD receiver to the RG59 to see what happened. Low & behold it worked perfectly. Of course the installer was "surprised" (translate to P.O.'d that he couldn't scam me for the $$$) that it worked.

I have since compared RG59 hooked up HD boxes to RG6 (on my 1st floor) and I can't see a difference. Keep in mind the the RG59 in my home was the thick, commercial stuff they used to use originally when cable 1st came through - the same stuff they would use in lining the streets they ran into the house. I have since been told by another installer that the commercial RG59 I had in the house worked because it was well shielded and the copper core was thick. He said that problems arise with the cheaper stuff you'd buy in an electronics store or Home Depot, etc. I actually compared some of the cheaper stuff I had (short length RG59 patch cables) and saw what he meant. The commercial stuff no question had a much thicker center copper core, shielding and much better overall quality.

So....if there was an easy way to convert to RG6 for me I would have done it but at this point it's fine the way it is with the RG59.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-21-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet View Post

With my limited knowledge, and going from memory, rg59 is for analog signals. It does not play well with digital, like from a satellite or digital cable box.

You can try it, it may work with your off air antenna. But I bet you will lose some signal strength. I would find some more rg6 cable.

Just my .02

It should be fine as long as he's just driving an OTA antenna. But trying that with a sat box is iffy and may work, then may work for only a while.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV