Comcast - SD or HD box for HDTV set? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2009, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am about to sign up for comcast, since they offer good deals in our community.

I do have a few questions.
At this time, we have a nice panasonic HDTV 1080p set. Our community cable is paid through maintenance fees and plugs in straight from an outside coax cable to the tv (no box). This is basic cable and the connection is pretty bad with some channels.

We would like to take advantage of our hdtv and play channels in better quality.
However, since most shows are still broadcast in SD, would a standard definition box be enough? Would the hd box only take advantage of hd channels (which are small in quantity), while SD would the same quality with a SD box?

Regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 01:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
A standard box and an HD box should show standard def channels about the same. On my HD box, I send them both over an HDMI cable to my TV. I used to have a component cable hooked up as well to see if there was a difference, but 99% of the time the HDMI gave just as good a pic on the standard channels.

I would go with the HD box if anything to get everything the standard box gets and the HD channels as well, even if it's only a few (more should come along soon anyway.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Get the HD box and give it a try normally you are not obligated to keep it, so if you don't see a difference return it!! (after doing an a-b test)
Old 03-22-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
While it is true that programs delivered in HD are the minority, once you start watching HD, you may very well see your viewing habits change a little bit in favor of HD programs that perhaps you wouldn't have watched a few months ago.

Watching your favorite prime time and late night programs in HD will more than make up for any programs you watch that are not in HD.

CIAO!

Ed N.