QAM mapping... I don't want to use the Comcast box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-10-2009, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a group subscription through the property management and Comcast gave every tenant a pair of QAM to analog 3 converter boxes, which they're saying "YOU HAVE TO USE IT".

The instruction says to push the analog output through the VCR, but the problem with that is that I can't record and watch different channels and I have to pre-set the Comcrap box to the channel I want to record before I can even program the DVR/VCR.

My TV is QAM compatible, so I can still watch the channels, but I can't remap anything and things show up as like RF100-002 while the Comcast box will let me see the proper familiar station name and channel # correlations.

An additional benefit of not using the Comcast box is that I can get a few local HD stations.

I have a 32" MAG TV... how do I go about NOT using the Comcast box, but to get the correct channel mapping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-11-2009, 12:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A1F1 View Post

I have a 32" MAG TV... how do I go about NOT using the Comcast box, but to get the correct channel mapping?

If Comcasts offers CableCards, you could get a TivoHD ($199 @ Sears, plus a monthly/yearly subscription or one-time $399 payment). One CableCard will map all channels correctly on that box.

If CableCards are unavailable, or you don't want one, then another option is the Moxi for $799. This box allows you to remap the channels through a web site.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-11-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A1F1 View Post

Basically, it can't be done. The virtual channel numbers are generated by the box using proprietary data sent by the cable company. Your TV can only show physical channel numbers. (RF100-002) or the broadcaster's original channel in some cases. (My DVD Recorder shows, for instance, 19.1 for a station that is broadcast on UHF 40.1 by a station that was Ch19 analog but carried on QAM cable at 113.1. My PC tuner, however only shows 113.1. Neither can display the #908 used by the cable guide)
Quote:

...the problem with that is that I can't record and watch different channels and I have to pre-set the Comcrap box to the channel I want to record before I can even program the DVR/VCR.

You can use a splitter to feed the signal to both the box and the TV. This would allow you to watch anything (unencrypted) on the TV and record anything that the box can tune on the VCR/DVR, but you will have to live with physical channels on the TV. (and rescan periodically)

Various combinations are possible. (hooking both boxes up to the same TV or VCR/DVR using a three-way splitter, etc)

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page