Comcast DCH70 = 5 second delay in changing channels?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-16-2009, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in San Francisco and just upgraded to digital cable. Comcast sent a Motorola DCH70, it worked absolutely great for a day or so, then for no reason...every time I changed channels it took 5 seconds for it to actually do so. It didn't matter if I was scrolling up or down, entering the channel number manually, or selecting it from the guide. Also, if I unplugged the box and plugged it back in, it would again work great for a while...but after an hour or couple hours, the delay would kick back in.

After reporting my problems, they told me the box was defective and sent me a new one...and good grief, it's doing the exact same thing. Am I expecting too much from digital cable?? Or does the DCH70 just stink?? Honestly, it worked perfectly for a while so I can see how good it's supposed to be, but this 5-second delay is killing me.

Please let me know if I'm crazy here :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-17-2009, 06:57 PM

in my experience the dch70 has been consistently faster than its predecessors

can't say that i've ever encountered that problem before though.

did they send you a new power cord? maybe the power supply isn't putting out enough
post #3 of 11 Old 06-28-2009, 03:16 PM

RinSF - I do not think you're crazy at all. My new (mandatory) digital cable in SF was working fine until during a channel surfing session it suddenly started to take 5 seconds to advance btw channels. What the heck? Did you ever figure this one out?
post #4 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinSF View Post

I'm in San Francisco and just upgraded to digital cable. Comcast sent a Motorola DCH70, it worked absolutely great for a day or so, then for no reason...every time I changed channels it took 5 seconds for it to actually do so. It didn't matter if I was scrolling up or down, entering the channel number manually, or selecting it from the guide. Also, if I unplugged the box and plugged it back in, it would again work great for a while...but after an hour or couple hours, the delay would kick back in.

After reporting my problems, they told me the box was defective and sent me a new one...and good grief, it's doing the exact same thing. Am I expecting too much from digital cable?? Or does the DCH70 just stink?? Honestly, it worked perfectly for a while so I can see how good it's supposed to be, but this 5-second delay is killing me.

Please let me know if I'm crazy here :/

Is it always 5 seconds? Do you have a plasma?

I had this issue before...only it wasn't a consistent 5 seconds. My plasma emits interference (I think all panasonic plasmas had this problem for a while).

Anyway...the quick fix for me was to put painter's tape over the cable box sensor. Super cheap, fast fix without moving things around. For whatever reason, the tape allows the remote signals to pass through just fine. Weird.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-07-2009, 11:04 PM

I had the same problem ... suddenly one night, seven second delay between hitting the remote and the channel actually changing.

Solution for me
: I guess I mistakenly hit a button at the very bottom of the Comcast remote. In the "Picture In Picture" section is a 'Swap' button. The Remote Control light on the cable box blinked & the digital box returned to normal quick channel change.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-09-2009, 12:54 AM

I started having this problem just yesterday and I'm still looking for a fix. Yesterday, I was repeatedly clicking the up channel (the usual channel surfing) and all of a sudden the channel changes started to take about 5 seconds for the cable box to react. Just before that the box responded right when you pressed the button. I've tried disconnecting the power to the box without any luck (but only without power for about 10 seconds). I also tried pressing the various PIP buttons at the bottom of the remote and can't seem to find any combination that makes a difference.

If anyone finds a solution, please post it here.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-12-2009, 06:55 PM

Here is the solution to the 5 second delay for my case... I pulled the power to the digital set-top box for 30 seconds, then put it back in. After that the channels changed normally again. In my previous attempt, I only pulled the power out for about 5 seconds (I guess I'm not that patient ) before plugging it back in which didn't fix the problem.

The guy on the phone at Comcast customer support said that this was a pretty common problem. He said that some people even have 30 second delays!

-Dave
post #8 of 11 Old 09-04-2010, 03:27 PM

I've had this exact problem, and I have had 2 comcast techs come to the house. The second was the lead technician of the area after I complained to the vice president of Comcast. However, the problem was actually easily solved. For some reason a COMPONENT cable and not an HDMI cable has to be used. In other words, it was the HDMI cable. Furthermore, it wasn't a bad HDMI cable because I bought a new one and the same thing happened. GOod luck.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-23-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_sj View Post

Here is the solution to the 5 second delay for my case... I pulled the power to the digital set-top box for 30 seconds, then put it back in. After that the channels changed normally again. In my previous attempt, I only pulled the power out for about 5 seconds (I guess I'm not that patient ) before plugging it back in which didn't fix the problem.

The guy on the phone at Comcast customer support said that this was a pretty common problem. He said that some people even have 30 second delays!

-Dave

Yep, I started having that problem and it worked for me!

Edit: Just notice this is for non-HDTV? Well, anyway it still worked for me...
post #10 of 11 Old 10-15-2010, 09:47 AM

Let me preface this by saying that I called Comcast before I checked this forum. More on that in a moment.
Had the dreaded 5 second delay after channel input on remote. It was so sloooow that I could not input a three channel selection, only two? This problem existed with my Comcast remote & my universal remote.

I spoke with Comcast customer "dis"service this morning and they said "it could be either the remote or the cable box." Their suggestion, come to their office and exchange my remote for a new one. If that didn't work, come back and exchange my digital cable box for a new one. And if that didn't work, schedule a service repair. They didn't offer a fourth option......
Needless to say, they had not a clue as to what the problem was or how to fix it. Doing a quick Google search led me to this site. AND YES, unplugging the digital cable box for approx. 30 seconds does the trick. And to answer the previous poster, it does work with an HD-TV
post #11 of 11 Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 PM

Had same problem with my new Samsung Plasma. Some of the previous suggestions worked temporary but problem keep coming back. Finally a smart Time Warner tech permanently fixed my problem. Using the remote, go to Settings. Arrow over to find Display. Arrow up to find Output Resolution. Select 1080i. It works good now. Doesn't matter if your switching between high resolution to high resolution or low resolution to high resolution. It's instant now. No more pause. Good luck.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV