Old 10-03-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentHD View Post

I was annoyed with the RNG110 when I first got it because my TV had trouble tuning channels when going from HD to SD channels. There would be a blank screen and a "video not found" warning for a second before the new channel would display.

The fix is to change the TV display properties in the User Control menu [User Settings - Power off > Menu (press < 2 sec)] to just one input setting. In my case the TV's native display is 1080i. By setting that as the only one as YES and then NO for all other resolutions I was able to get faster and smoother channel changes.

Thanks for this suggestion - it seems to help a bit.The TV my rng110 is connected to is a 720p, but it accepts 1080i, so I wasn't sure if I should set it for the native resolution or the higher one; I will have to experiment a bit - but setting to 720 *has* eliminated the pause between channels (I never got the "video not found warning" just a delay, which I thought was the channel guide. I may go back to component, since some of the delay between channels may also be due to HDMI negotiation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 PM

I am a new Comcast customer, I requested a DCX3400m hd and a rng110. Should I have requested a DCX3200 instead of a rng110?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmach View Post

I am a new Comcast customer, I requested a DCX3400m hd and a rng110. Should I have requested a DCX3200 instead of a rng110?

The 3400m is the networked dvr for the Anyroom Dvr service, did you order that? If so you will get the 3200m as the secondary box. If not, you will most likely get what is available for the hd box. Comcast usually doesn't guarantee a model. I think both are about the same in the end.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorn2374 View Post

The 3400m is the networked dvr for the Anyroom Dvr service, did you order that? If so you will get the 3200m as the secondary box. If not, you will most likely get what is available for the hd box. Comcast usually doesn't guarantee a model. I think both are about the same in the end.

The Pace RNG110 is a HD converter box that has component, composite and HDMI outputs but lacks RF and S-Video outputs. Due to these limitations I found the RNG110 unsuitable for my use daisy-chaining recorders.

The Motorola DCH3200 and DCX3200 are HD converter boxes that have component, composite, HDMI, S-Video and RF outputs. The RF output is useful for daisy-chaining recorders and other purposes. The DCH3400 and DCX3400 models are full-featured DVRs. My DCX3200 feeds its signals to six recorders, S-Video to one Panasonic DVD recorder, composite video to one Panasonic DVD recorder (where Y adapters split the DCX3200 audio outputs between these two recorders and a TV), and the RF output feeds a daisy-chain including one Philips and one Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder and two Panasonic DVD recorders.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Old 10-08-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

The Pace RNG110 is a HD converter box that has component, composite and HDMI outputs but lacks RF and S-Video outputs.

There are RNG110 models with an RF output too. Comcast has been installing these as standard boxes when needed and hooking them up with composite cables for the picture. At some point an RF output was added.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are RNG110 models with an RF output too. Comcast has been installing these as standard boxes when needed and hooking them up with composite cables for the picture. At some point an RF output was added.

Cable guy who brought one of these out for me said that they like them because they can activate them as either HD or SD, which makes their lives easier. (also allows people to update w/o swapping the box). On the down side, even he had trouble getting the thing activated - they have to call and specify which flavor service you're supposed to have. Not sure HOW they do that when the user is self-installing.

They say it's HD, regardless of whether you're using component or HDMI - composite output is another option.Mine does not have RF out, but if it's any indication, the picture out from composite was pretty bad. HDMI and component seem comparable (on 720 tv that accepts 1080i) but OTA signal still seems sharper. No S-video on these so not thrilled about the way I'm feeding recorder.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:22 PM

I have this box also, I am currently on my third box and it keeps doing the ASTB downloader 3-4 times a weekend during erastic times. they have checked all lines, power etc. I am almost done with COMCAST and going back to DIRECTTV.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:26 PM

This box has been repeatedly unable to start an On Demand program. After the third time in two weeks of needing to reset it I traded it for a DCX3200. So far so good.

"Sweet Cracker Sandwich!"--Satchel Pooch
Old 11-09-2010, 03:35 PM

Liked: 11
The HDMI just brings the digital sound and digital picture into one cable and offers better speeds as I understand it. So, in most part, you should get the same thing with digital sound (digital coax or optical...) and video (component) as HDMI.

As for the RNG110. I've been pretty happy with it. I don't screw around if I run into an obvious issue I know that's not on my end. Comcast has been doing changes in the Denver area and I think they are working out kinks yet. It was quite a while before they got the iTV function into the menu on this box here. A couple of times (over about three weeks) they had picture issues but was pretty short lived. Turned out a node crapped out and they had to replace it. They continue to work on the menu.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:50 PM

I've been battling a pair of these ##%%!! RNG 110 units for about 4 weeks now. It appears that when they are not connected to a TV HDMI sink for a period of time they turn themselves off. The only thing that wakes them up is the POWER TOGGLE command from the Comcast remote. Does anyone know if there is a Discrete ON command available?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know the watts of a Comcast HD RNG110 box? I'd like to connect a surge protector to it and my plasma tv. Does it also matter the size of the tv in how much the cable box uses power?

My tv is a Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD 60 inch plasma
Old 12-30-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I just had a RNG110 installed. I have the RF output connector. Anyone know how to get the box to allow RF output be the same as the RF input? Having the RF out as analog ch3 isn't really so good.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I just had a RNG110 installed. I have the RF output connector. Anyone know how to get the box to allow RF output be the same as the RF input? Having the RF out as analog ch3 isn't really so good.

My RNG110 has no coax output, just an input only. Having a passthru mode would be convenient.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec630 View Post
My RNG110 has no coax output, just an input only. Having a passthru mode would be convenient.
I've read here that some have it and some don't. I would like a second opinion if a channel is messed up. All my basic cable channels are clear QAM and the locals are HD. I'm not trying to daisy-chain the box, but since the coax is there and I have heard other boxes have a pass though mode, I thought I would give it a shot. Thanks for the interest.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:52 AM

Tomorrow is the Superbowl. I received my RNG110 few days ago and everything worked fine except some HD channels (MTVHD, TBSHD, TNTHD) which came up as "not authorized." I spoke to Comcast rep for several hours after being transferred several times. A rep told me to unplug the box for 30 seconds and then the same thing for 10 seconds. After I plugged it back in, all 4 lights started blinking in succession. After a series of blinks, the box shuts off and then power light goes on just by itself. The box will not respond to my comcast remote and there is no changes after resetting and powering down and up. Please help me as the Superbowl is tomorrow. Comcast wants to setup a meet with the tech on Tuesday but it'll already be too late. Anyone have any ideas to diagnose this issue?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Has anyone ever had the issue of the unit turning itself off? This is happening to me and is bad, because i'm using it with the HD PVR unit, so it needs to stay on 24/7..

Thanks

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com
Just Plane Crazy: http://flight-stew.com
Old 02-15-2011, 01:59 PM

The unit may be shutting itself down because it is near its maximum for upstream signal. Do you sometimes get error codes when running on demand? Does it shut down when you go to access on demand?

If you push [Cable], [power] (to turn off), and then quickly [select] it should show you the diagnostics dashboard, which will be color coded. Do you have any red categories?

It will also shut off when taking a new firmware update, usually happens in the middle of the night. This is normal and should not happen all that often.

Other important things to remember. The HDMI port will be disabled if you do not subscribe to HD service. Different packages also include different HD channels, some only come with the basic networks in HD. Customer Service should be able to tell you what you get.

-M
Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 PM

Can't poinpoint exactly when this started as it's not consistant, but perhaps after a firmware upgrade a while back.

I use the "set VCR" function to automatically set channels while recording to my HDD/DVD recorder. Sometimes it works fine, other times I get just the video feed but the audio is silent. Very frustrating when I go to watch a recording and there's no sound. After it does this, I actually can't get any audio to the TV from the STB at all until I power the STB off and back on. I'm using the component cables as mine doesn't have a coax output and I don't have the HD package.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 AM

What is the mothly lease cost for this RNG110?
Thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contsi View Post
Thanks
I'm sure it changes for each cable company. My cost is $5 a month from a very small cable company.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contsi View Post

Thanks

Comcast $9.25
Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:

I use the "set VCR" function to automatically set channels while recording to my HDD/DVD recorder. Sometimes it works fine, other times I get just the video feed but the audio is silent.

If the box is off when the recording starts, it will turn on but the audio will be muted. This happens the same as the DVR but pretty pointless for a connection to a HDD. Doesn't help explain why it shuts off but why some recordings have no audio.

EDIT Sorry I combined two in my post. Try making sure the box is always left on.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:

If the box is off when the recording starts, it will turn on but the audio will be muted. This happens the same as the DVR but pretty pointless for a connection to a HDD. Doesn't help explain why it shuts off but why some recordings have no audio.

EDIT Sorry I combined two in my post. Try making sure the box is always left on.

Thanks, I'll experiment. This may explain why it's been inconsistant for me. You say it happens with the Comcast DVR too? How absurd! I can't come up with any good reason, or even a bad one, why a timed recording in the STB would turn the video on but not the audio. What's the point otherwise?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:

I can't come up with any good reason, or even a bad one, why a timed recording in the STB would turn the video on but not the audio. What's the point otherwise?

What I understood it was so if the television was left on, or a connected stereo was left on, the sound would not wake up the household. That may be urban myth but sounded semi-logical to me. The DVR still records the audio so no big deal, but no help for non-dvr boxes using the vcr recording reminder.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Just reading this thread. The same thing happens to me with the Comcast SD 2500. Setting a vcr reminder and turning the box off results in no audio. Leaving the box on, it'll turn to the correct ch with no problem.
If there were compelling programming on the handful of additional channels on the box, I might have called in and complained. But I'm so tired of this company, I just don't feel like hassling with them any more than I need to.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:48 AM

Thanks for share with us !!!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, I had no idea this was going on , but it does explain some odd behavior. I've been leaving mine on lately, the big blue light notwithstanding, and the recordings have been OK, so I guess that's the answer. Recordings without sound are NO fun! I'm still a little annoyed that there's no svideo out on this box (and no RF). Very minimal.... I'm using it for my second tv, so it's ok, but if it were my main box I'd be more likely to return it. The motorola I have on the other tv is a lot better in terms of output options, plus some other features.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeycat View Post

ok - answering my own second question regarding a remote code for the RNG110 cable box:
this site: [can't post a url until i have 3 posts]

allows one to enter the manufacturer (pace) and model (rng110) -but be sure to click the cable option above it (given a choice of TV, video+dvd, audio, cable, more). i got this code: 00237, below that is a button for "show me more" which gave these codes:
the last one worked!!!

anyway - still have the HDMI input switching issue....

Hey guys, I just got a new Marantz SR7005 receiver and I was trying to set its remote so can control my set box. Unfortunately I can't find the codes on internet and I'm not able to solve the issue with the learn function of the Marantz remote.

I was able to set the remote of my old Pioneer 1021, so I know that is possible to control my xfinity/comcast RNG 110 set box with another remote (not its own), I'm just unable to do that with the Marantz remote which accepts only 4 digits codes.

So, anyone knows a 4 digit code to control the set box with my Marantz remote? Thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 PM

Can someone help me out? Here is what I am looking at.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Do you have a problem? What is your question?
Or.... did you just find the diag codes and are curious? wink.gif