sony dvd recorder with comcast dvr help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi.

I have been using a sony rdr-gx330 dvd recorder for the past few years to record shows from my comcast cable box's dvr (not sure of the exact model off the top of my head), and recently when i go to record something from the dvr, the sony tells me "this picture cannot be recorded". i am using red white and yellow av cables from the receiver to the dvd recorder line input rather than using coax.

the CONcast cable box is not an hd box, and with this current setup i am still able to record live shows onto the dvd recorder, the problem only appears when i try to record something from the dvr. It's rather frustrating because it used to work fine.

I am wondering if this has anything to do with the recent digital "enhancements" CONcast has been doing in my area, (I live in Denver) but more importantly am wondering if anyone knows of a way around this or some sort of solution. I have recently been mailed the "digital adapter" boxes for my two bedroom tv's which are hooked up directly to the coax coming out of the wall but I haven't activated those boxes yet and those two other tv's still work.

I am trying to accomplish this because my dvr memory fills up rather quickly, and putting some of those longer shows or sports games onto a dvdrw is a quick and easy way to avoid running out of memory.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-03-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
so you just have the cable box's a/v (red white yellow) output plugged into the recorder's input? Comcast's switch should have nothing to do with it. Are you sure you didnt change a setting on the recorder? If you can watch something form the dvr on your tv, then your recorder should be able to see it too.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-03-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Correct. Cable box's a/v (red white yellow) output is plugged into the recorder's input.

I would assume if some setting were changed in the recorder then that setting change would also affect the ability to record live tv, however this is not the case.

Becasue the message I get from the dvd recorder "this picture cannot be recorded" only appears when I try to record from the dvr, then I am assuming the cable box is the cause but I definately could be wrong.

thank you for your help.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-04-2010, 02:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyblaaze View Post

I have been using a sony rdr-gx330 dvd recorder for the past few years to record shows from my comcast cable box's dvr (not sure of the exact model off the top of my head), and recently when i go to record something from the dvr, the sony tells me "this picture cannot be recorded". i am using red white and yellow av cables from the receiver to the dvd recorder line input rather than using coax.

That's copy-protection. You'll need something like this in between the DVR and the Sony:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008164.

You can also try copying directly from one of those DTA's to the Sony, rather than from the DVR, and see if that works. You'll have to use the coax connection, though, and the PQ won't be as good.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-14-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

thanks Rammitinski for your help.

In your opinion, is the grex the best solution to allow recording from cablebox dvr to dvd recorder?
Do you know of a similar solution for a bit less $$?

Thanks again for all your help,
Jon
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page