Can I use my own DVR or DVD Recorder w/TWC service? - AVS Forum
Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV > Can I use my own DVR or DVD Recorder w/TWC service?
Condor Joe's Avatar Condor Joe 12:56 AM 06-23-2010
I've had TWC's DVR service for well over five years now. With the money I've paid them ever since, I could've bought me my own DVR or DVD recorder.......several times over.

My current DVR (a SA Explorer 8300SD), which I've had for close to five years now, is on it's last legs, meaning it'll have to be replaced. With my current billing cycle having begun yesterday I got to thinking.........should I dump their DVR service? Will I do just as good with a DVD recorder (with hard drive) or a non-TWC DVR???

Any TWC customers who've tried this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

wajo's Avatar wajo 07:02 AM 06-23-2010
I had TW but they sold to another cableco recently.

You can get a HDD DVD recorder like the Magnavox 2160A or 513H and get many of the benefits of a DVR except in std def.

Whatever channels your TV can tune by itself, w/o the TW box, are what the Mag will tune.

Click here for lots of info.
Tulpa's Avatar Tulpa 08:10 AM 06-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor Joe View Post

Will I do just as good with a DVD recorder (with hard drive) or a non-TWC DVR???

Your choices for almost identical DVR functionality on a device you can own are the Moxi DVR and TiVo. Both accept cableCARD for encrypted channels (typically $1-$4 a month) and both can have all fees paid up front (typically around $500-$700.) Both have guides, both have huge hard drives. TiVo offers Netflix streaming and other neat features. Moxi offers Moxi Mates that will enable the DVR to be used on other TVs in the house.

The Magnavox wajo suggested is a lower cost alternative. However, your tradeoffs are no program guide, no direct encrypted channel access (the recorder will have to be a slave to a cable box), and no HD viewing or recording. But it's less than half the price of the Moxi and TiVo (for fees paid upfront.)

Those are your choices, pretty much.
Condor Joe's Avatar Condor Joe 12:00 PM 06-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Your choices for almost identical DVR functionality on a device you can own are the Moxi DVR and TiVo. Both accept cableCARD for encrypted channels (typically $1-$4 a month) and both can have all fees paid up front (typically around $500-$700.) Both have guides, both have huge hard drives. TiVo offers Netflix streaming and other neat features. Moxi offers Moxi Mates that will enable the DVR to be used on other TVs in the house.

The Magnavox wajo suggested is a lower cost alternative. However, your tradeoffs are no program guide, no direct encrypted channel access (the recorder will have to be a slave to a cable box), and no HD viewing or recording. But it's less than half the price of the Moxi and TiVo (for fees paid upfront.)

Those are your choices, pretty much.

I see. I'm certain I'll go with the latter option, even with its drawbacks. I'll be owning a regular TWC cable box anyhow so it'll take just a bit more efforts to program recordings with an HDD DVD recorder, right?

An unrelated question, but I've also been looking for an HDD DVD recorder to copy over my collection of VHS tapes. Can these recorders do any sort of editing or chapter creation???

The aforementioned Magnavox recorders.......are those the best ones out currently, or the ones most users here own? I'd like to know more on what the best/affordable recorders are. Thanks!
wajo's Avatar wajo 12:12 PM 06-23-2010
If you click that link I gave above, there's one subject titled: "5. EDIT."

As far as the TW box, you most likely won't need it for ALL the channels, just the encrypted/scrambled ones, assuming you place the recorder 1st on the incoming coax, as illustrated in the CONNECTIONS help file in that same link.
Tulpa's Avatar Tulpa 01:47 PM 06-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor Joe View Post

I see. I'm certain I'll go with the latter option, even with its drawbacks. I'll be owning a regular TWC cable box anyhow so it'll take just a bit more efforts to program recordings with an HDD DVD recorder, right?

Yeah, you'll need to set the timers on the cable box and the recorder, but assuming their clocks are in sync you'll get your programs recorded.

Quote:


The aforementioned Magnavox recorders.......are those the best ones out currently, or the ones most users here own? I'd like to know more on what the best/affordable recorders are. Thanks!

It's the only hard drive one left in the US market. The hard drive will make life easier. There are a few non-HDD models from Panasonic and several Funai-built models with different rebadgings, and maybe one or two other brands. If I were desperate and had no HDD alternative, I might spring for one of the Panasonics (although NOT the DVD/VHS combo.)

The Magnavox however is only slightly pricier (or even cheaper if you get a refurb from J&R.) It's Funai built, but they made it a cut above their other offerings. There isn't too much else that even gets a passingly favorable review.
Up
Mobile  Desktop