Excessive treble on audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-06-2010, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using a cable box supplied by my cable company that is really a home entertainment center (Motorola DCP 501). It has multiple outputs for many speakers, DVD player, etc., but I am using it only as a cable box. It is connected with a Sony TIVO series one. The Tivo is analog only, but since it comes with lifetime service for the life of the unit, I am still using it in my kitchen. The setup worked fine with an old tube TV until I dropped the TV on the floor. I bought a new TV and hooked it up with composite cables. The picture was great, but the sound was too tinny, excessive treble. No matter how I tried to reduce the treble and increase the base I could not get a satisfactory sound. So I returned the TV and bought another of a different brand and found I had the same problem. Therefore the problem is not in the TV. I even replaced the composite cables with a coaxial cable and that was no better and the picture slightly worse. I've come to believe my problem is the new TV's don't work well with analog signals. That is only a guess on my part and I have no expertise in this area. If I am right, is there something I can buy to convert the audio signal between the TIVO and the TV? Or, am I on the wrong track altogether? Any advice will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-06-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 126
The real problem is that the newer slimmer TVs have amp/speakers that are much, much inferior to the mediocre ones in the old bulky TVs. There's no space for anything better. Get a set of PC speakers or a soundbar or............since you already have the Motorola DCP 501 receiver, use it with a pair of decent speakers.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 3 Old 08-06-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes even my 50" Panny has that same sound if used by itself, you can adjust it a little but the sound quality is nothing like the old tube TV's of the past.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page