I HATE cable boxes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-16-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone found a way to de-MUX a digital cable siginal after it enters the home to use analog tuners(TV & DVR). I hate cable boxes because I can't use the features built into my AV equipment (timers on DVR's, favorites option for television, ect). Is there a cable card adapter that can be used to convert the digital siginal to analog so I can use the internal DVR tuners?
Idealy, one box to to act as a digital to analog converter upstream from all my "old" analog equipment and allow me to move into the digital age as my wallet will allow. FYI, my DVR's are DVD units with hdd's(panasonic & phillips). I don't useTivo because I'm not aware of getting programing off the hdd without significant inve$tment ($700-$800 for complete setup) From what I understand the new comcast cable boxes use an address system similar to a MAC address. Any comments, ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-16-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrys13 View Post

I don't useTivo because I'm not aware of getting programing off the hdd without significant inve$tment ($700-$800 for complete setup)

I certainly understand your frustration. You can save TiVo HDD data to a VCR, DVDR, or Magnavox H2160-series. There's an option for this in the TiVo menu - at least in the TiVo HD that I own.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-16-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

terrys... i suggest you ask your question at this thread, i'm sure you will get your answer:

Magnavox 2080/2160/513 and Philips 3575/3576

bc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #4 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Is there a cable card adapter that can be used to convert the digital siginal to analog so I can use the internal DVR tuners?

Not one that isn't already in a DVR (think TiVo) or part of a HTPC tuner setup.

If you don't want to use a cable box but want to use the existing analog tuners in your recorders with digital cable, I'm sorry to say but you're pretty much boned.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 15 Old 08-18-2010, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just use the RF or the composite outputs from the cable box and feed your analog tuner, set the analog tuner to channel 3 or 4 or the appropiate video input if using composite.
If doing this you will need to set the cable box to the appropiate channel to record.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-18-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You can get the older Tivo HDs (even the XL) pretty cheap now from tivo directly. Of course you still have to pay the monthly fee or lifetime and also for the cable card rental. But tivo does work well to save programs to your pc and you can then burn to dvd.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #7 of 15 Old 08-18-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

You can get the older Tivo HDs (even the XL) pretty cheap now from tivo directly. Of course you still have to pay the monthly fee or lifetime and also for the cable card rental. But tivo does work well to save programs to your pc and you can then burn to dvd.

The only exception to this being anything your cable MSO flags as CCI copy once. Unfortunately this varies depending on your cable operator. Some flag practically nothing, some flag almost everything, and others are reasonable (like only flagging premium channels). It varies depending on the MSO you're using, and on the location.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-18-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Has anyone found a way to de-MUX a digital cable siginal after it enters the home to use analog tuners(TV & DVR). I hate cable boxes because I can't use the features built into my AV equipment (timers on DVR's, favorites option for television, ect). Is there a cable card adapter that can be used to convert the digital siginal to analog so I can use the internal DVR tuners?
Idealy, one box to to act as a digital to analog converter upstream from all my "old" analog equipment and allow me to move into the digital age as my wallet will allow. FYI, my DVR's are DVD units with hdd's(panasonic & phillips). I don't useTivo because I'm not aware of getting programing off the hdd without significant inve$tment ($700-$800 for complete setup) From what I understand the new comcast cable boxes use an address system similar to a MAC address. Any comments, ideas?

Let's get the terminology correct.

A DVR is a tuner provided by a cable or satellite service or a few third party providers (e.g., Tivo, Moxi). DVRs use a CableCard or other similar card. A DVR has an internal hard drive for time-shift recording but there is no DVD Drive in a DVR.

When you mention a Panasonic, Philips or Magnavox recorder with a hard drive and DVD drive what you are referring to is a HDD/DVD Recorder, not a DVR.

DVRs are discussed in this sub-forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=42

HDD/DVD Recorders are discussed in this sub-forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #9 of 15 Old 08-18-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Idealy, one box to to act as a digital to analog converter upstream from all my "old" analog equipment and allow me to move into the digital age as my wallet will allow. FYI, my DVR's are DVD units with hdd's(panasonic & phillips).

I think what the original poster wants is a device with around 60 tuners and an equal number of RF modulators. It would have cable cards sticking out all over like a porcupine for cooling fins. I believe the best place to install such a unit would be in the ductwork as a furnace replacement.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
This is what you would need. http://www.vecima.com/products/MDU-G...7_standard.pdf

Good luck getting one from your cable company, but I'm sure if your willing to pay enough for what you want they will be more then happy to install one for you.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-20-2010, 02:02 AM

How does this device work. It takes forever to change channels with the stupid cable box and I can't use any of my equipment such as replaytv or built-in feature in the TV. Will this basically decrypt all the channels and make it so I can use my TV like normal without a stupid box?
post #12 of 15 Old 08-20-2010, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydanger View Post

It takes forever to change channels with the stupid cable box and I can't use any of my equipment such as replaytv...

Check the the Replay TV forum here. Some there have gotten their Replays to work some of the DTA's, and they usually can control most "regular" cable boxes, too.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-14-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Will calling in and having one of these Comcast SD cable boxes (DT2000) and DTAs activated, cause the still transmitting analog signals to be blocked to your home? I got the letter last month suggesting ordering the necessary equipment early-but Concrap offered no date for the end of analog cable. The things came today, but I have no interest in hooking them up if the other tvs without boxes would lose signal before the actual end time.

They sent me as mentioned, the DT2000 box-instead of the 2500 that at least has an s-video output, so I'll probably try and get them to swap it out for the 2500, if they don't tack on extra for switching.

Sigh..."Network Enhancement" indeed...

Shaq does NOT HAVE OUR BACK

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #14 of 15 Old 09-14-2010, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Will calling in and having one of these Comcast SD cable boxes (DT2000) and DTAs activated, cause the still transmitting analog signals to be blocked to your home? I got the letter last month suggesting ordering the necessary equipment early-but Concrap offered no date for the end of analog cable. The things came today, but I have no interest in hooking them up if the other tvs without boxes would lose signal before the actual end time...

The analog should continue until they shift the system. If your area is like mine, there are digital channels intermixed with the analog ones. Blocking analog would block digital also.

They told me that there was a 2 week window for activating the boxes, and you would have to swap the boxes for fresh ones if you missed the time frame. (possibly a local situation)

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #15 of 15 Old 09-14-2010, 06:59 PM

Okay, So my family and recently moved to Okinawa, Japan from the US, where I had the most awesome HDTV system set up. I am listing what electronics I have so anyone here can give me a suggestion on what I can do with the following problem.
LED/LCD TV 55: Samsung " Model UN55B6000VFXZA
BluRay Player: Samsung Model BD-P1600/XAA
AV Receiver: Onlyo TX-SR 707
WD HD Live
Surround Speakers: Onkyo 7.1
I just got my Cable TV installed from the overseas company called "Mediatti Communications". The cable guy showed up with this old set box from the '90's. The box is a Pioneer "Advanced Analog Terminal" model #: BA-v2000c. The rear panel has three out possible connector. Coax-Cable in, Coax Cable Out and a weird VCR out female jack. in The cable guy came and connected it the box directly to the TV antenna jack set the TV to channel 3 and left.
What I need help with is a way to connect the box to my AV Receiver in hopes of using my surround and possibly up-converting the signal. I look at the idea of using an old VCR and use it as tuner/pass through then using A/V Cables to my A/V Receiver. Is this a plausible route? Please help. I HDTV is not worth seeing if the signal is crap.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page