How to Hookup DTA to DVD/VCR Recorder? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 09-27-2010, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I have a Comcast DTA box, an 8 year old Sony DVD player/VCR recorder and an 11 year old Zenith tv that has 1 coaxial input and 1 set of rca input.

How do I hook it up so I can record programs off of tv onto vcr? I'm trying to figure this out on my current machine before I buy a new dvd recorder.

Or is it impossible to record from a DTA?

No, I can't afford a new tv.

Thanks so much for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-27-2010, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Cable from wall into splitter..
Run one cable from splitter into stupid Comcrap DTA box.

Run other cable from splitter to tv, then...

Cable from stupid Comcrap DTA box into vcr.

Yellow video, red/white audio cables from vcr to tv.

I haven't hooked mine up yet, so I'm not 100% certain, but the local tv stations may/should still be receivable by analog tuner tvs and vcrs. This setup will (may/should) allow you to watch a local broadcast channel on the tv while you record a cable channel on the vcr.

You will have to turn the vcr to channel 3 or 4 for it to record the feed from the stupid Comcrap DTA box. And watch the DTA box feed on the vcr, through the tv's input channel (or tv's ch3).

Did I mention how much I hate all this?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Cable from wall into splitter..
Run one cable from splitter into stupid Comcrap DTA box.

Run other cable from splitter to tv, then...

Cable from stupid Comcrap DTA box into vcr.

Yellow video, red/white audio cables from vcr to tv.

I haven't hooked mine up yet, so I'm not 100% certain, but the local tv stations may/should still be receivable by analog tuner tvs and vcrs. This setup will (may/should) allow you to watch a local broadcast channel on the tv while you record a cable channel on the vcr.

You will have to turn the vcr to channel 3 or 4 for it to record the feed from the stupid Comcrap DTA box. And watch the DTA box feed on the vcr, through the tv's input channel (or tv's ch3).

Did I mention how much I hate all this?

I know! wth? I just said this on another thread . . . I'd much rather have less quality of pic (pre-digital) and more control of recording/viewing than better picture quality and less control of recording/viewing. I know the ultimate goal of all these companies is to force us to rent a dvr from them and pay yet another monthly fee. Grrrrrrr. I'm determined to avoid this as long as possible.

On the setup you provided if I put the splitter before the dta box and run one of the cables out of the splitter into the tv, the tv won't be received channels, will it? Doesn't the cable have to run into the DTA (so the channels get unscrambled?). The cable has to run from the wall to the DTA box first, right? Then out of the dvd/vcr into the tv and then . . . . . this is where I get lost! lol I'm trying to figure out how to switch the input to the rca input that I hook up out of the dvd/vcr player and into the tv. Oy.

Since I can do this on the On Demand box I'm wondering . . . on the back of the On Demand box there is a short coaxial cable running from RF to RF in on the back of the box and is this the reason I can recording off of the On Demand box? The DTA doesn't have this (obviously) but . . . . I should still be able to record off of it.

On our family room set up I followed these directions. The second link is a diagram and on the left side where it says 'DTV' we hooked it up to the Comcast On Demand box. It all works great. The only thing we 'lose' is the On Demand features when we are recording a program. No biggie but it does seem ridiculous to have to go 'old school' with a/b switches and splitters to accomplish what was a simple push of a button on a remote pre 'digital revolution'. Oy.

http://tv.about.com/od/frequentlyask...hrecorddtv.htm

http://0.tqn.com/d/tv/1/0/y/2/watchrecordDTVbox.jpg

I think I need to figure out how to switch the input using the DTA in order to record. I was doing a lot of it last night when I was really tired so I'm hoping I can figure it out today. There must be a way.
post #4 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Programming Your VCR to Record Shows Using the New Digital Adapter
You will not be able to program your VCR to record different channels at different times when your TV is connected to a digital adapter. To record different programs at different times, you will have to change the channel on your adapter.

Ref:
http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...5-d21ca0a8878e
post #5 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomc View Post

Ok, I have a Comcast DTA box, an 8 year old Sony DVD player/VCR recorder and an 11 year old Zenith tv that has 1 coaxial input and 1 set of rca input.

How do I hook it up so I can record programs off of tv onto vcr? I'm trying to figure this out on my current machine before I buy a new dvd recorder.

Or is it impossible to record from a DTA?

No, I can't afford a new tv.

Thanks so much for any help.

What outputs does the DTA have? What input/outputs does the DVD/VCR have?

If you have the ports I think you have, then this is how I would do it.

Coax from DTA to tv. RCA's from DTA to DVD/VCR. RCA's from DVD/VCR to tv. This how I do it with my ota DTA box. You will need another DTA if you want to watch one show and record another.

But it all depends on what ports your devices have. If you have to use a DTA from Comcast to get your signal, then a splitter from the wall cable will get you nothing. You need to split from the DTA itself. If the DTA doesn't have RCA outputs, then you need a splitter from the DTA coax.
post #6 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Here are some examples. The first photo shows a typical DTA, the Comcast Pace DC50X. The second photo shows typical DVD recorders, a tunerless Toshiba D-R410 at the top and an analog tuner-equipped Panasonic DMR-ES46V at the bottom.

Notice that the DTA has limited connectivity, RF only. There is no way to make a DTA connection to the tunerless Toshiba recorder as there are no RF inputs/outputs on tunerless recorders.

On the Panasonic ES46 notice that the upper set of outputs, those labeled DVD/VHS Common Out, carry VHS and DVD output--whereas the lower set, those labeled DVD Priority Out, carries DVD output only. When recording or playing a videotape or DVD the Panasonic RF output is modulated, meaning that the RF output carries the signal generated by the Panasonic itself.

Most tuner-equipped DVD recorders that do not have VHS sections have an unmodulated RF pass-through output, meaning that the only signal found on the RF output is the same signal provided through the RF input--the DVD recorder's internally generated signal is not found on the RF output. Those recorders' internally generated signals are found only through other outputs.
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #7 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I beleive Comcast will provide 2 DTA's at no charge. Add a coax/RF splitter and use one DTA for the TV and the second for the VCR for recording. Connect the VCR video/audio outputs to the TV's A/V inputs for viewing recorded material.

AFAIK, that's your only option to watch a channel and record a different channel.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

For those interested in dual connectivity, antenna reception and cable reception with a single DVD recorder, see this post and the post following it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19214106

Notice that the first linked post describes basic connectivity. The photo in the second post is staged to simulate antenna and cable connectivity.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #9 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I don't think I'm being clear in what I'm asking.

I have a Comcast DTA (rf in and rf out); a Sony dvd player/vcr recorder (rf in and rf out, rca in and rca out); a Zenith tv (coaxial in and rca in).

What I want to do is set up to record a show from the dta onto the vcr recorder, eventually buying a dvd recorder. But if I can't figure out how to record to the vcr that I have now I doubt I'll be able to figure out how to record to a dvd recorder later.

I know that I can't record one channel while watching another (see my previous post on how I worked around this on a different set). What I can't figure out is how to set everything up with the DTA.

I have the coax cable coming out of the wall into the DTA then out of the dta into the dvd/vcr then out of the dvd/vcr into the tv and also have rca out of the dvd/vcr into the tv. I can switch inputs from tv to line 1 to line 2 but cannot record anything. It's almost like the dvd/vcr player isn't "seeing" the channels. This combo unit is about 10 years old or so, as is the tv so neither have any type of digital tuner. The tv picks up the channels just fine . . . why isn't the dvd/vcr?

If I need to split the signal, that's fine. I just don't know how to hook it up. Halp!
post #10 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

For those interested in dual connectivity, antenna reception and cable reception with a single DVD recorder, see this post and the post following it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19214106

Notice that the first linked post describes basic connectivity. The photo in the second post is staged to simulate antenna and cable connectivity.

This is great . . . . do you have an example of how to do this using a DTA with only coaxial in and out? Also, the combo unit I have does not have a digital tuner. Does it have to in order to record?
post #11 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you have the ports I think you have, then this is how I would do it.

Coax from DTA to tv. RCA's from DTA to DVD/VCR. RCA's from DVD/VCR to tv. This how I do it with my ota DTA box. You will need another DTA if you want to watch one show and record another.

But it all depends on what ports your devices have. If you have to use a DTA from Comcast to get your signal, then a splitter from the wall cable will get you nothing. You need to split from the DTA itself. If the DTA doesn't have RCA outputs, then you need a splitter from the DTA coax.

No, the DTA does not have any rca outputs it only has coax in and out. How do I set up a splitter from the dta box in order to record? I know I can't change channels while recording, I just want to figure out how to get the recorder to record something. Thanks!
post #12 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's almost like the dvd/vcr player isn't "seeing" the channels.

The channel output of the DTA is channel 3 or 4 (switch on back?).
For the VCR, in order to record (or see channels selected by the DTA), you must tune (select) the VCR to channel 3 or 4.

In other words, the channel output of the DTA and the channel selection of the VCR must match.

Here's the setup:
cable from wall to DTA input.
set RF output of DTA to channel 3 (selector on back of DTA).
connect RF cable from DTA output to VCR input.
set VCR tuner to channel 3.
Using the DTA remote, select the channel you want to record (do not change channels on the VCR).
Hit record on VCR.
post #13 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

For the VCR, in order to record (or see channels selected by the DTA), you must tune (select) the VCR to channel 3 or 4.

In other words, the channel output of the DTA and the channel selection of the VCR must match.

I have everything set to channel 3 (the dta, the dvd/vcr and the tv). When I switch the input to input 1, all I get is a blue screen. Same with when I switch to input 2. Ack, what am I doing wrong?
post #14 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Your vcr or future dvd recorder with have to be tuned to ch 3 in order for it to see the signal coming from the DTA. These stupid DTAs and cable boxes render the tuners in our vcrs, dvd recorders and TVs useless, save for the handful of local broadcast stations that may be left available.

So the question we should ask is are you able to see the cable feed over your vcr's ch 3 or 4? If so, any dvd recorder with an analog tuner-which is needed because there needs to be a ch3 for the DTA to send it's signal to, will be able to record from these stupid boxes.

Edit after reading your last post-did you call in to the cable company to have them activate the boxes? After activation, the instructions say wait up to 45 minutes for them to fully function.

They're not com-tastic!
post #15 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you play a pre-recorded tape, do you get a picture on input 1 and 2 on the TV?
If you power off the VCR, does the signal from the DTA "pass-through" to the TV?
When you have the "issue", have you changed the VCR setting from VCR to TV (button on front of VCR or by remote)?
post #16 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, the DTA does not have any rca outputs it only has coax in and out. How do I set up a splitter from the dta box in order to record? I know I can't change channels while recording, I just want to figure out how to get the recorder to record something. Thanks!

It's difficult to carry on the same conversation in two sub-forums at the same time. Just a short time ago (in the other sub-forum) I addressed some of your questions so:

"When using the RF inputs/outputs in your setup everything takes place on analog channel 3 (or 4).

"With regard to recording from a DTA, it's just the same as any other recording from an analog RF channel 3 (or 4) source. Saturday and Sunday I recorded from my DTA a good portion of the Andy Griffith Show "countdown" as shown by TV Land. Today I expect to record another four-hour block of Andy Griffith shows from that DTA."

DTAs are entry level devices that do not provide much flexibility so one must work around those limitations. I will describe how I use my DTA:

In my DTA setup I have a RF splitter after the DTA's RF output. One split feeds the RF input of a Magnavox DVD Recorder and another split feeds the RF input of a Westinghouse TV.

The Magnavox DVD Recorder RF output is connected to the RF input of a RCA TV--but just for viewing the DTA signal on the RCA TV when the Magnavox DVD Recorder is not in operation.

The Magnavox DVD Recorder composite outputs, yellow video and white/red audio are connected to the corresponding composite inputs on the RCA TV.

Why are there two Magnavox DVD Recorder connections to the RCA TV? The Magnavox DVD Recorder RF output is unmodulated, meaning that the only signal found on the Magnavox RF output is the same as the signal found at Magnavox RF input. This is referred to as a RF "pass-through" or "loop-through" (in some DVD Recorder manuals). Any signal generated by the Magnavox itself, say menus and DVD playback, is not carried on the RF output. Magnavox internally generated signals, the menus and DVD playback, are carried on other Magnavox outputs, S-Video or composite yellow video and white/red audio outputs. (On the other hand VCRs have it both ways, the RF output passes through the unmodulated RF input signal when the VCR is powered off, and the RF output is modulated when the VCR is in operation.)

If you want a cable tuning device that provides more connectivity options your cable provider will be happy to provide a fuller-featured converter box--for an additional monthly fee.

post #17 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Thanks for the photo of the Comcast DTA DigaDo. Man they look cheap, cheaper than the ota boxes. And is it true that Comcast is planning on renting them down the line? Hell, if they were available for retail, they would sell for $30! Anything more than $1 per month would be a rip-off (but this is Comcast we're talking about)!

I forgot that VCR's have coax passthrough. So there is no need to split the signal from the DTA. Since my DVD recorder also has a VCR (Panny DMR-EH75), I do have a coax in port. Do DVD recorders with a tuner have a coax in port? If not, then the op won't be able to use one down the road anyway. I guess he can get a DVD-R/VCR with a tuner.
post #18 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here's the setup:
cable from wall to DTA input.
set RF output of DTA to channel 3 (selector on back of DTA).
connect RF cable from DTA output to VCR input.
set VCR tuner to channel 3.
Using the DTA remote, select the channel you want to record (do not change channels on the VCR).
Hit record on VCR.

On snap! That's it! I was setting the combo unit to 'vcr' and trying to record, rather than setting it to 'tv' and recording. Blarg, I have three remotes (the small black comcast one, the one to the combo unit and a universal. The universal seems to be the only one I can use to switch from tv to line 1 to line2). So, obviously it was operator error . . . which I figured!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Your vcr or future dvd recorder with have to be tuned to ch 3 in order for it to see the signal coming from the DTA. These stupid DTAs and cable boxes render the tuners in our vcrs, dvd recorders and TVs useless, save for the handful of local broadcast stations that may be left available.

So the question we should ask is are you able to see the cable feed over your vcr's ch 3 or 4? If so, any dvd recorder with an analog tuner-which is needed because there needs to be a ch3 for the DTA to send it's signal to, will be able to record from these stupid boxes.

Edit after reading your last post-did you call in to the cable company to have them activate the boxes? After activation, the instructions say wait up to 45 minutes for them to fully function.

Yes I can see the channels and the dta has been activated for over a year. I just figured out what I was doing wrong, I was setting the player to 'vcr' instead of 'tv' to record. I know, I know . . . . it should have been obvious, right? You all understand this a lot more than I do!

Thank you all very much for your help.
post #19 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

It's difficult to carry on the same conversation in two sub-forums at the same time. Just a short time ago (in the other sub-forum) I addressed some of your questions so:

"When using the RF inputs/outputs in your setup everything takes place on analog channel 3 (or 4).

"With regard to recording from a DTA, it's just the same as any other recording from an analog RF channel 3 (or 4) source. Saturday and Sunday I recorded from my DTA a good portion of the Andy Griffith Show "countdown" as shown by TV Land. Today I expect to record another four-hour block of Andy Griffith shows from that DTA."

DTAs are entry level devices that do not provide much flexibility so one must work around those limitations. I will describe how I use my DTA:

In my DTA setup I have a RF splitter after the DTA's RF output. One split feeds the RF input of a Magnavox DVD Recorder and another split feeds the RF input of a Westinghouse TV.

The Magnavox DVD Recorder RF output is connected to the RF input of a RCA TV--but just for viewing the DTA signal on the RCA TV when the Magnavox DVD Recorder is not in operation.

The Magnavox DVD Recorder composite outputs, yellow video and white/red audio are connected to the corresponding composite inputs on the RCA TV.

Why are there two Magnavox DVD Recorder connections to the RCA TV? The Magnavox DVD Recorder RF output is unmodulated, meaning that the only signal found on the Magnavox RF output is the same as the signal found at Magnavox RF input. This is referred to as a RF "pass-through" or "loop-through" (in some DVD Recorder manuals). Any signal generated by the Magnavox itself, say menus and DVD playback, is not carried on the RF output. Magnavox internally generated signals, the menus and DVD playback, are carried on other Magnavox outputs, S-Video or composite yellow video and white/red audio outputs. (On the other hand VCRs have it both ways, the RF output passes through the unmodulated RF input signal when the VCR is powered off, and the RF output is modulated when the VCR is in operation.)

If you want a cable tuning device that provides more connectivity options your cable provider will be happy to provide a fuller-featured converter box--for an additional monthly fee.

DD, I wasn't trying to be a pain or annoying (which I'm guessing I was? ) or anything posting the same question in two threads. The other thread I was asking about dvd recorders and thought it was appropriate to ask how they work with dta boxes. But it case it was in the wrong forum I started a separate thread here.

Oh and I did see your reply on the other thread . . . but your initial reply

Quote:

didn't answer my question on how it was all hooked up so I asked it here too. Sorry for the confusion.
post #20 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the photo of the Comcast DTA DigaDo. Man they look cheap, cheaper than the ota boxes. And is it true that Comcast is planning on renting them down the line? Hell, if they were available for retail, they would sell for $30! Anything more than $1 per month would be a rip-off (but this is Comcast we're talking about)!

I forgot that VCR's have coax passthrough. So there is no need to split the signal from the DTA. Since my DVD recorder also has a VCR (Panny DMR-EH75), I do have a coax in port. Do DVD recorders with a tuner have a coax in port? If not, then the op won't be able to use one down the road anyway. I guess he can get a DVD-R/VCR with a tuner.

This is what I've found . . . . if you find a unit you like and it has a tuner, check the user's manual to find a picture of what is on the back, rather than just relying on the written specs. If you see the back of the unit you will know exactly what it has and if it will work with what you have. Some units with tuners do not have coax input, just output. At least that's been what I've been finding.
post #21 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you play a pre-recorded tape, do you get a picture on input 1 and 2 on the TV?
If you power off the VCR, does the signal from the DTA "pass-through" to the TV?
When you have the "issue", have you changed the VCR setting from VCR to TV (button on front of VCR or by remote)?

^^ This last sentence is what made the light bulb go off in my head. Thank you again, it's most appreciated!
post #22 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Never overlook the obvious.

EDIT:
"the simplest explanation is usually the correct one".
Occam's razor
post #23 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the photo of the Comcast DTA DigaDo...

Quote:

This is what I've found . . . . if you find a unit you like and it has a tuner, check the user's manual to find a picture of what is on the back, rather than just relying on the written specs. If you see the back of the unit you will know exactly what it has and if it will work with what you have. Some units with tuners do not have coax input, just output. At least that's been what I've been finding.

The boldfaced material needs to be addressed.

DVD Recorders that have internal tuners must have a RF (coax cable) input as the RF input feeds the signal to the tuner. Notice that the tuner-equipped Panasonic in the earlier photo has RF inputs and outputs as well as the other inputs and outputs.

DVD Recorders that do not have tuners have "line-input" only recording. Other devices do the tuning where those device's line outputs are connected to the line inputs of a DVD Recorder. Notice that the tunerless Toshiba in the earlier photo lacks RF inputs and outputs. The Toshiba has the other inputs and outputs.

When recording from a DTA all that's needed is a VCR or DVD Recorder that has a RF input and the ability to record analog channel 3 (or 4). An analog (NTSC) tuner is necessary. A digital tuner DVD Recorder is not necessary. (The Magnavox DVD Recorder connected to my DTA is an analog tuner model manufactured in 2006. This model was clearanced at around $50 by Walmart in 2007. I purchased it for $20 through Craig's List in 2009.)

You might be confused when reading specifications of some cable converter boxes, e.g., the Pace RNG110, in that this model has a RF input providing the raw coax cable feed, but there is no RF output for connection to older TVs that have only a RF input. For use with older TVs the Pace RNG110 requires the use of a RF modulator as a go-between--a VCR is also useful as a RF modulator--when using older TVs without composite or other line-inputs. The attached illustration (from buy.com) shows the inputs/outputs of a typical RF modulator.
LL

post #24 of 27 Old 10-04-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm...can you delete or block unwanted channels from showing on these DTAs? This will be an issue when kids are over...

They're not com-tastic!
post #25 of 27 Old 10-04-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Huh?
You only get channels that you subscribe to.
You can always turn off the DTA and put in a DVD that's appropriate. Or... sit and read a book with them.
post #26 of 27 Old 10-04-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

When kids are over, and start surfing for Nick or Cartoon Network, they don't run across MTV or VH1 because I have them deleted from the tv's lineup. I was just wondering if these DTAs allowed you to do the same.

They're not com-tastic!
post #27 of 27 Old 10-05-2010, 03:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Highly doubtful. A "standard" cable box probably would be required for that feature.

If your TV has "parental controls" (V-chip), you could possibly block unwanted programs that way.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page