Cable through new audio receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-10-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone!

Recently I purchased a Onkyo TX-SR308 audio receiver and I need some advice about running my cable TV audio/video through it. Right now I have my cable TV running from the wall coax to the tuner on my LCD HDTV and then have the audio running from the TV to the receiver via the TV's digital coax. Ideally my audio receiver is supposed to work as an input switcher, with my TV remaining on one HDMI input, but with the way I have things wired, I have to change back and forth between the TV tuner and HDMI input on my TV. Does anyone know of a way that I can run the cable TV coax through a device that will output it to either HDMI, YPbPr, or composite that I can run into the receiver? The available audio inputs I have on my receiver are optical and coax digital, HDMI, and RCA stereo.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-10-2010, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You mean like a cable box?
post #3 of 6 Old 10-11-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
yea, you need an hd cable box. You run the coax into that, then hdmi out to receiver, then hdmi to receiver.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-11-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Alternatively, if you're using your TV's QAM (or analog) tuner you can get something with the same tuner (DVD recorder, etc.) and run audio out from it to the receiver.

Cable box is probably a better choice (especially if you want HD channels and not downrezed stuff through a recorder) but you'll probably pay a monthly fee.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 6 Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
To everyone who has replied, thank you! I should have explained the way the TV works at my apartment complex. According to the management our TV service is actually dish network, however, there is no receiver in my apartment, simply a coax jack in the wall. When I hook this up to the TV tuner, it tunes just like regular cable, with a few digital channels scattered throughout the others. The only time I can tell it is satellite is when it's storming outside and I loss signal and it displays the dish network information. Does this information change the assessments already given?
post #6 of 6 Old 10-13-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
If thats the case, you wont be able to get a cable box, you are stuck with the coax coming out of the wall.

Quote:
Does anyone know of a way that I can run the cable TV coax through a device that will output it to either HDMI, YPbPr, or composite that I can run into the receiver?

Your only other solution, if you want to use your receiver as an input switcher, is to use a vcr as a tuner. You run the coax into the vcr, then composite out to the receiver. There are two problems with this though: you will have to change tv channels with the vcr, not the tv, and you will lose any digital channels you currently get going straight to your tv. But if you want to run the cable through your receiver, this is the only way.

You could try contacting your apartment management, and see if there is a way you could get a dish installed just to your apartment. But I highly doubt they will let you do that.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page