How to get Comcast remotes code - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-11-2010, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi guys, I just got the digital adapter boxes that Comcast is giving out in our area for what they call the "digital migration". This is a small 3"x4" gizmo and comes with its own remote. I tried to "learn" its keys with my URC-automator 200 rc, but it won't learn Comcast's code. Does anybody know what they are using for code-this new "digital migration" is supposed to be an improvement, but if I can't use my universal rc, it is a big step backwards for me.
Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-11-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Which DTA is it? I have one (Motorolla DTA-100) that responds to at least three different remote controls. That one will probably work with some built-in codes.

If it is a Pace DC50X then cable code 1982 might work.

Looking over at JP1, those remotes have a very difficult to learn/capture protocol.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #3 of 7 Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks-it is a model DC50Xu-this is a hand-held digital adapter by Pace.
So, how would I have my rc learn the Pace's remote codes?
My older Universal Remote Automator only can learn in the normal fashion of remote to remote or with device codes. Is there a device code for this box?
Thanks again
post #4 of 7 Old 12-11-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

Thanks-it is a model DC50Xu-this is a hand-held digital adapter by Pace.
So, how would I have my rc learn the Pace's remote codes?

It doesn't look like learning remotes can reliably learn the XMP protocol; so you're probably not going to be able to learn the commands - with any currently available remote control. Some remote brands allow you to build and load your own upgrades but not the one you have now.
Quote:

My older Universal Remote Automator only can learn in the normal fashion of remote to remote or with device codes. Is there a device code for this box?
Thanks again

Did you try the Pace codes from the manual? (043 or 074)
There is a procedure (on page 8 of your manual) that lists an alternate way of finding an unlisted code but it will not work as printed because the Pace box does not have an "Off" capability. You can usually substitute a different test command (like channel up) for the power off suggested in the instructions.

Since this remote uses only 3 digit codes, I suspect that it is older and may not have the needed codes built-in. (limited library and no upgrade capability)

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #5 of 7 Old 12-11-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

It doesn't look like learning remotes can reliably learn the XMP protocol; so you're probably not going to be able to learn the commands - with any currently available remote control. Some remote brands allow you to build and load your own upgrades but not the one you have now.

Did you try the Pace codes from the manual? (043 or 074)
There is a procedure (on page 8 of your manual) that lists an alternate way of finding an unlisted code but it will not work as printed because the Pace box does not have an "Off" capability. You can usually substitute a different test command (like channel up) for the power off suggested in the instructions.

Since this remote uses only 3 digit codes, I suspect that it is older and may not have the needed codes built-in. (limited library and no upgrade capability)

Just wanted to thank you for your help. You're correct in that it will only take 3-digit codes and I have tried them all without success-
post #6 of 7 Old 12-11-2010, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The small black Comcast remote that controls a Pace DC50X DTA uses the same codes as a platinum Comcast remote that controls Motorola DCX series STBs and DVRs.

The small black Comcast remote does not use the same codes as a silver Comcast remote that controls Motorola DCT and DCH series STBs and DVRs.

In the photo the silver DCT/DCH remote is at the left, the black DTA remote is at the center and the platinum DCX remote is at the right:
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #7 of 7 Old 03-10-2012, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up a used Philips Pronto TSU-7000 touchscreen remote control and tried to learn the codes from my Pace DC50Xu remote. The codes do learn but function very unreliably. So to fix this I setup the "Device Properties" within the Philips programming software. I set the "Type of device" to "Cable", "Brand" to "Motorola", and "Code set" to "0503" then programmed each button to use the ir code from this Motorola database. It works flawlessly every time.

Hope this helps.

Eric
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page