Help with scanning for FIOS unscrambled channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-05-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read many of the threads/post on this site and have not found a solution to my problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have learned reading this forum that my cable provider, Verizon FIOS, should be supplying unscrambled channels for what I could get OTA, that is ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, etc. I have scanned with my tv (Panasonic with QAM tuner), but get only channels up to 69. Of course Verizon has the networks, except ABC which I get on 8-1, on digital channels 89-x, 89-y, etc. I got several digital channels (1-69) when I scanned using the 'antenna' setting on the automatic scan. When I used the 'cable' setting, I got plenty of channels on the chart, with labeled channel numbers in the upper left hand corner of the screen, but when I tuned to these channels I had no video or audio.

So I guess I need to know how to get the auto channel scan to go above 69 where FIOS apparently has the other broadcast channels????

I do want to hook up my new Mag MDR515H/F7 dvdr so I can record the unscrambled FIOS channels vice using an OTA antenna like I have now. I don't want to go thru the process of connecting the Mag until I know I can get the channels thru my Verizon FIOS STB.

Is this making sense to anyone? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-06-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 244
You can't scan using antenna.
If you set to "cable" and scan, it should scan up to channel 135.

I haven't tried on my TV's, but with my clear QAM tuner in my PC, I do get all of my HD locals from FiOS (as well as dozens of advertisment and/or unusable channels). Take note that all of the local channels are designated by the "actual" OTA numbers. E.G. WPVI-HD is FiOS channel 506 (with box), when using a clear QAM tuner, it is 6.1 (without FiOS box).
post #3 of 12 Old 01-08-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

So I hooked it all up per the wajo diagrams and lo and behold, I've got channels in the 515 tuner and it's recording and playing back with amazing PQ.. I can also use the L1 connection to record from the cable, as long as the tv is set on the channel I want. So this let me disconnect the OTA I was using to get the local broadcasts and record them on the 515.

Only problem remaining is to figure out why the local CBS HD channel (6.1) is the only one that didn't scan. It was there at first and has now disappeared. Several scans have not brought it back. Ironically, it's one of the few channels I record from because it has my favorite show--The Amazing Race

I also tried scanning from the Panasonic tv but no joy. Which means I'll have to get out the dreaded manual to see if it even has a QAM tuner Or maybe not since I have what I need in the 515.

Assuming I can get CBS tuned in, it's a better set up than I was using. Thanks for the tip Ratman!
post #4 of 12 Old 01-08-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
See if you have that DTV ch. 6.1 duplicated either in the analogs or in the digitals. If so, use Manual Auto Preset to delete the duplicate channel(s), then see if 6.1 sticks.

Here's more info on tuning interference.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I had duplicates. I deleted the channel, but now I have a dozen or more Showtime channels that Verizon FIOS is moving around. I guess they must be pushing it free right now, because we don't subscribe and they are showing on the STB as if we did.

It's really frustrating because a Showtime channel is loading in the channels that should be ABC and NBC as well. I can 'sneak' up on the big 3 by either direct entry of the channel number or by the channel +/- button, but it is totally unpredictable which channel with be there---ABC (8.1), for example, or some Showtime channel/show. Then I can channel +/- button back and it will be ABC again. Not reliable enough to record from at this point.

Any suggestions or am I screwed by Verizon? I can always go back to the OTA antenna for more reliable recording of (some) of my shows, I guess.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-17-2011, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I am giving up and going back to OTA to feed my tv and Mag515. Verizon FIOS is NOT supplying the local channels in HD as required and I don't want to settle for the crappy picture they are passing thru unscrambled. I might write a letter to the FCC, but I doubt it will make a dent.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sap2007 View Post

Verizon FIOS is NOT supplying the local channels in HD as required

I wonder if Verizon is considered a cable company by the FCC and therefore bound by the locals mandate? I honestly don't know.

If they are, are they plain not providing a channel or are they just moving them around forcing you to hunt for it? Because as long as they provide it, they're following the letter of the law. The regular cablecos do the exact same thing.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #8 of 12 Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I don't why you have an issue, but as I said, I get all locals (clear QAM) in HD with no problems from FiOS. Picture quality is great.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I am in Richmond VA. Can't get the clear QAM locals on my Panasonic tv nor the Mag515.

Ratman, just so I can confirm my connections, I have the Mag515 first in line from the wall/cable as a pass thru, then into the STB, back to the Mag515. It's the same connection described in figure 3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...tcount=10#Con4.

How is your's hooked up? Should I try the STB first, then rf out from there to the Mag515?
post #10 of 12 Old 01-19-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

I logged into my Verizon account and found a forum where they discussed the provision of local HD channels in the clear. A poster listed this website www.silicondust.com/support/channels to find my local channels. It told me to look on 72-1506 (72-6) for local CBS6 for instance. When I selected that channel directly with the remote (Mag515), I saw the picture for a split second & it immediately went to 6.1 and I had CBS6 in HD. BUT, when I set a recording for that channel (6.1), it was ALL BLACK. I also set a recording for 72-6 for a few minutes and it was all black.

None of the local HD channels listed on that website above on 71.x & 72.x were detected in my channel scan but I did 'get' them on 6.1 (CBS6), 8.1 (ABC8) and 12.1 (NBC12), but as described above, the picture isn't there when I move around with the channel+/- button or set a recording for those channels. I do however get the non-HD local channels (all on digital 63.x) with no problem. Funny how Verizon does that, huh? And PBS HD comes in loud and clear no matter what I do, just not the big 4.

When I tried to delete channel 72 (considering it a 'competing' channel) it would NOT delete (i.e. the highlighted checkmark wouldn't move from add to check delete, even when holding it down for a long time). It also showed both DTV6 and in parentheses CH 72 in the box for add/delete channel manual programming. I haven't but will try to delete the non-HD channels on 63 to see if that works.

So I will dedicate some more time to re-reading the advice in the Mag515 thread about how to program channels and try some more options. Now I'm like a dog with a bone to get this figured out. I have until 20 Feb when The Amazing Race premieres...otherwise my fall back position is OTA.

I did post a query on the Verizon forum to see if anyone has a suggestion or can tell me what I am doing wrong. I will also try to scan for channels on another Panasonic QAM tv with just the Verizon STB and no Mag515...
post #11 of 12 Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

I have resolved my issue by using the technique posted here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=10119.

I deleted one of the duplicate CBS channels (DTV 6.1) and now use 72.1 which tunes to CBS. I loaded several recording programs into the Mag515, switching back and forth between the local HD channels, using 72.1 for CBS and it took all. It's been recording about 6 recordings daily, switching between the 3 networks and playing back in a beautiful picture. Knock wood this is resolved.

Thanks Wajo for all your expertise on the Mag515. I guess I should have posted this in that thread since it's ended up being a Mag515 issue after all.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-28-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Has anyone compared counts of 'in the clear' channels on different FiOS systems; max vs min amounts of channels available?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page