AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/35-cable-digital-cable-non-hdtv/)
-   -   Amplifier? New coax? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/35-cable-digital-cable-non-hdtv/1307291-amplifier-new-coax.html)

KaseyS 01-15-2011 01:21 PM

Cable service (Comcast DTA) to garage tv has been acting up for about six weeks - intermittent loss of some channels and/or garbled or mixed up looking channels and then total loss of channel. Channels eventually come back, it has never been loss of all channels and it is not always the same ones that drop off.

I've tried hard reset (unplug it all), disconnect input and output and reconnect, new DTA box from Comcast, and swapping out one stretch of coax (to the tv). No luck.

I don't have time or energy to wade through with Comcast right now, and I almost always find great info here, so I'm hoping you all could offer some ideas.

If I pick up an amplifier, any suggestions? I am happy to buy a decent one outright.

Thanks!

Weags 01-15-2011 02:15 PM

I would have a technician come to your house personally. Any charges you would incur would mist likely even out with what you would pay for an amplifier and the time you spend trying to solve your issue and the stress of not getting it to work. Did you install and configure all the cable wiring for your home yourself or did comcast?

And if your problem is low signal from outside then an amp won't fix it and your out the money and calling to have a tech come out anyways. An amp will only be beneficial if hooked up properly and amplifying good signal. If it's crap coming in you will most likely have the same issues with the amp. In my opinion it would not be a practical solution to troubleshoot this problem by buying piece after piece until you get it right. Just let a tech with the proper test equipment do it fur you.

KaseyS 01-15-2011 05:12 PM

Maybe so, but I'd like to see if I can't figure it out myself first. I don't mind putting in the time/$$ as much if I'm doing it myself and learning something along the way...
Thanks!

Weags 01-16-2011 07:25 AM

I appreciate your desire to learn and DIY but to be honest, without some form of test equipment you won't be learning much other than how to replace piece after piece until it works. There are many factors that could be causing your issue and without some form of test EQ you will be chasing your tail. It could be the splitter , the fittings, the cable wire, low signal outside, low signal inside , signal to noise , bit errors, poor wiring configuration ,ingress, etc.I'm a tech and even with all the wiring and splitters ,you name it, at my disposal , troubleshooting without my signal meter is a nightmare. And by fixing this problem blindly you may end up messing something else up for other outlets.

I mean as far as time and energy and learning goes , having a tech come out is going help you properly learn and save you the time and energy but to each his own. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.