How to go from coaxial to HDMI? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

We downgraded our cable to just basic for the time being and I now have a dilemma. Our components are built into a media bench seat and we ran an HDMI cable through the wall to the TV above the fireplace. Now that the cable service doesn't require a box, I am stuck with having the cable coaxial cable entering my media bench seat and an HDMI connection to the TV. Is there any way to hook up the cable to the TV short of running a new coaxial cable through the wall to the TV?

Thanks!

Jamison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALSmith View Post

Hello all,

We downgraded our cable to just basic for the time being and I now have a dilemma. Our components are built into a media bench seat and we ran an HDMI cable through the wall to the TV above the fireplace. Now that the cable service doesn't require a box, I am stuck with having the cable coaxial cable entering my media bench seat and an HDMI connection to the TV. Is there any way to hook up the cable to the TV short of running a new coaxial cable through the wall to the TV?

Thanks!

Jamison

You could look around for a coaxial >HDMI converter. There are probably a half dozen diff. makes/models of those type. HDTV Supply has a couple,but that co. is expensive to buy from,you can look at them for a start but you will probably do better somewhere else. Just Google around a little bit,you'll find something you may like. G.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Assuming you (or someone) ran an HDMI through the wall and assuming no staples:

Get the necessary length of coax.
disconnect the HDMI from the TV.
Duct tape the new coax to the HDMI.
pull new coax while removing HDMI.
connect new coax to old (existing) coax with one of these:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103459

NOTE:
Be sure to test first to make sure you get all of the channels you expect/desire or subscribe before going to the effort.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses so far.

I have searched quite a bit online and haven't been able to find any type of converter. The only thing close is a TiVo box ( basically purchasing a cable box).

I could pull the coax cable through the wall, but was hoping not to have to do that as I would still like the HDMI cable in the future. It obviously was a big oversight not to run a coax at the same time as the HDMI cable.

Jamison
Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM

KWorld External ATSC/QAM TVBox HDMI Edition SA295-Q DE DVI Interface

I believe this unit would do what your looking for. A qam tuner with hdmi out. I have no idea how good it is or whatnot but it may be at the very least a starting point for what you need.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Doesn't the cable box still pick up the basic channels?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

It would but unfortunately, I had to turn in the olde cable DVR box to the cable company. Maybe I could pick one up on EBay?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

I think the OP is using a cable-ready set, so the coax "should" go directly to the TV... no cable box (if that's what you're asking). As far as answering the question, I think only an external tuner is going to do what you want, and is probably a solution much bigger than the problem. I'm afraid it's either get a box or run the cable.

EDIT: Sorry Smith... I was typing my response when you posted. If you buy a cable box you might need a card from the cable company.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520 & Emo XPA-5, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. Family room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
Old 04-14-2011, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I could pull the coax cable through the wall, but was hoping not to have to do that as I would still like the HDMI cable in the future. It obviously was a big oversight not to run a coax at the same time as the HDMI cable.

Easily resolved.

Use the same technique, except when pulling the coax, also add three or 4 "pull lines" (strong strings). That way not only will you be able to pull back the HDMI using the lines, but also have a few for future needs.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

It would but unfortunately, I had to turn in the olde cable DVR box to the cable company. Maybe I could pick one up on EBay?

You might do that in Canada as some cable providers sell their converter boxes to customers.

In the US cable providers rent or lease cable converter boxes. Cable converter boxes found on eBay are often stolen property.

As cable converter boxes have unique electronic identification numbers (that can be tracked to a particular cable provider and customer account) you will have difficulty getting a stolen converter box activated on your account. If you manage to get a stolen converter box activated by your cable provider they will most likely charge you the same monthly fee as you would have with a converter box they provide. If your cable company will not activate a stolen cable converter box you will have wasted your money on a door-stop.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Only if you have a need for a doorstop.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just a reminder:
As suggested in post number #3. You better test a direct hookup from the wall to the TV first. Most likely... all you will get are "local channels". If that's all you desire, you're in good shape.

If you think you will get TBS, TNT, USA, Disc, ESPN, Bravo, etc. etc..... it ain't happening without a "box" (or a box with a cablecard).

In the US, you have to rent a cablebox for channels above the "limited basic" tier from your provider. Or... buy a Tivo (or similar device) and rent a cablecard.

IMO... if you don't need "DVR" functionality, just rent a standard HD capable box. Set's you back around $10 per month.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the great responses. I will give the cable company a call, definitely worth the $10 or so to rent a box and for peace of mind.

Jamison
Old 04-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags View Post

KWorld External ATSC/QAM TVBox HDMI Edition SA295-Q DE DVI Interface

I believe this unit would do what your looking for. A qam tuner with hdmi out. I have no idea how good it is or whatnot but it may be at the very least a starting point for what you need.

^^^

Loving D65