Upgrading to Time Warner digital cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-24-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. At present, I have the basic standard cable service from Time Warner Cable here in Los Angeles. In my living room, I have 6 DVRs that I use to record programs off the cable and play back on a digital TV. I'm thinking about upgrading to the fully digital service that TWC offers. Here's what I'd like to do if I get it. I would like to use two splitter/amplifiers in the new configuration. One cable leg from the first splitter would go directly to TW's DVR/cable box so I can record and play back their HD channels. The 2nd cable leg from the splitter would go to another splitter/amplifier. My existing 6 DVRs would be connected to that splitter/amp without going through a cable box. Now here's the question I have. Would the digital signal and all of the new channels to the 6 existing DVRs be scrambled and therefore unrecordable? Or would they be able to decode and record some, if not all, of the new channels? I would much prefer to be able to still use the 6 DVRs if possible. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-24-2011, 06:29 PM

. The only way to get any of the other channels would be through a cable box or cablecard. Your dvrs will not be able to decode anything more than what you currently get.

The only scenario I could see you getting more channels would be if you had just the limited basic(most places just the locals)and were upgrading to the expanded channels(espn,Disney,etc) Upgrading to digital requires an adressable piece of equipment that you cable company will allow to descramble the channels you subscribe to.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-24-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Punch your zipcode in here to see what isn't scrambled on your cable....
post #4 of 8 Old 04-24-2011, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags View Post

. The only way to get any of the other channels would be through a cable box or cablecard. Your dvrs will not be able to decode anything more than what you currently get.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, if I upgrade I would be content if my DVRs were able to receive exactly what I currently receive now. I would still be able to receive all the new digital stuff on the new DVR/cable box. That would be alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Punch your zipcode in here to see what isn't scrambled on your cable....

Hey, thanks for the link. That is some good info to have.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-24-2011, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Off View Post

Would the digital signal and all of the new channels to the 6 existing DVRs be scrambled and therefore unrecordable? Or would they be able to decode and record some, if not all, of the new channels?.

What DVRs are these? Are they DVD recorders?

If they only have analog tuners, they'll continue to tune the analogs that TWC will pass along (although be aware TWC may discontinue analog service sometime in the future. All the other cablecos have when they went all-digital.)

If they have QAM tuners, then they should pick up the local digital network affiliates (NBC, ABC, etc.) and maybe a few other channels (Discovery, QVC, etc.) They have to specifically have QAM tuners, though. If you don't know for sure, assume they don't.

Everything else will need a cable box or (if equipped with a slot) a cableCARD.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #6 of 8 Old 04-24-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Off View Post

Would the digital signal and all of the new channels to the 6 existing DVRs be scrambled and therefore unrecordable? Or would they be able to decode and record some, if not all, of the new channels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

What DVRs are these? Are they DVD recorders?

If they only have analog tuners, they'll continue to tune the analogs that TWC will pass along (although be aware TWC may discontinue analog service sometime in the future. All the other cablecos have when they went all-digital.)

If they have QAM tuners, then they should pick up the local digital network affiliates (NBC, ABC, etc.) and maybe a few other channels (Discovery, QVC, etc.) They have to specifically have QAM tuners, though. If you don't know for sure, assume they don't.

Everything else will need a cable box or (if equipped with a slot) a cableCARD.

Thanks for that very informative reply. All my current DVRs are combination hard drive/DVD digital recorders with QAM tuners. So as long as they could still receive what I currently receive, I'll be satisfied with that.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-24-2011, 10:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
TWC has been moving analog channels to the digital tiers piecemeal. I notice this with my analog TV in my bedroom. Although they haven't moved any that I've noticed in awhile.

At some point they will go all digital (there's no reason for them not to), which may necessitate the need for a cable box with each DVR, unless you just want networks. No idea exactly when. I've seen quotes that they will as early as 2012, but nothing official.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #8 of 8 Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 101
1. What are the make/models of your DVD/DVR"s,
2. Where are you? (it would help if that was under your username)

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page