Comcast Motorola Digital CATV Converter box, #DCT2524 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi
some one gave me a comcast converter box DCT2524 and i have 2 tvs one tv has digital box with lots of channels but other tv has some as its without box i randomly searched 2nd tv with adding a 3 way splitter without box and got 30 some channels but my question is if i add this another box will i get more channels and do i have to activate or just plug coaxil and search??
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Theoretically... you can add the "box" and you may get more channels.

Legally... that box is the property of the cable provider. You can chose to hook up the box and it may work if you're both on the same node/headend. But eventually the cableco will "brick" the box and perhaps charge you or the original owner for retroactive service and the box itself.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

what happens if i hook up into my tv my house i have comcast internet and i get around 45 channels without box so if i use box in my house will i get more channels and can comast found anything about this??
post #4 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes and yes... the box will either work or not work.
If it does, then they will eventually shut down the box if you are not paying a rental fee for the box. In the US, it's not yours for ownership.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
You can hook it up and try it, although in all likelihood it'll be a useless doorstop.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #6 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 06:46 PM

Liked: 23
My guess the box will only pick up the barest analog service level. Maybe not even the full lowest level either. What you will get is probably less than almost any regular tv without a box. On the other hand if everything is digital (encrypted) with Comcast in your area, then I would guess that the box will give you no channels at all.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

ok thanks as some comcast guy installed cable and internet for some guy an d he charged them 200 for life time with 1 year guarantee.
so thats why i asked thanks all
post #8 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afridi118 View Post

ok thanks as some comcast guy installed cable and internet for some guy an d he charged them 200 for life time with 1 year guarantee.
so thats why i asked thanks all

'Some guy' got taken for $200, or he lied to you.

The way Comcast's systems work, what you just described can not happen.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #9 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If the box is still working, it won't be for long. Each and every DCT2524 communicates with the cable co head end. As soon as the box reports back as unauthorized, (either stolen or non payment for service) it will black out each and every channel.

Your friend should be aware that Comcast may decide to keep the box active for a while to zero in on your friend's address. (The box will report the node its on) and chances are Comcast will zero in on your friend's address, if they do chances are that your friend will be charged with theft and fraud.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

ok well could be true but i have seen people who have cable and intrnet and they pay no monthly bill.
and i remember back in 2004 to 2005 my cousin got free cable and nothing happend
post #11 of 19 Old 05-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

There is no such think as free cable

Sometimes the cable company may forget to disconnect the cable from the pole or from the ground connecter. In this case you may receive any analog channels as long as they aren't filtered out and as long as the cable feed bypasses any digital cable box such as the DCT2524 and is fed straight into your analog TV tuner. You may also receive any clear-QAM digital channels if the coax is plugged straight into your QAM TV tuner. This is considered THEFT, not FREE.

If you try hooking up an unauthorized cable box such as the DCT2524 into the open cable feed- the cable box WILL communicate with the cable co head-end and report the serial number and status of box and the node it's on. Most likely within a day or two the box will black out ALL channels, including clear-QAM and analog channels deeming the box useless. If you take the box out, the raw cable feed for analog and clear-QAM will remain active. Again, this is considered theft, not free,

As I said earlier, Comcast may decide to keep the box active to zero in on you. There are only 200 to 2,000 households on a node. The Comcast average is 450 homes per node. You can google this and confirm for yourself. The point is its not that hard to zero in on you.

I don't think you understand how digital cable boxes work and how they communicate with the head-end. I'm in Canada but the cable head-ends are exactly the same as in the US. My cable co Shaw uses very similar if not exactly the same system as Comcast. In Canada we are free to buy and sell our cable boxes. I own a few and bought some of them used. I assure you that I can't hook up an unauthorized box to my account and expect it to work. If I purchase another box - the box will only receive the channels that are authorized on my cable account. Furthermore before you purchase a Shaw authorized Digital Cable Terminal from a Shaw Customer, you must call the cable co with the serial number to ensure it is on the Shaw system, not stolen and no amount owing from the previous account. I assure you if these steps are not taken, the cable box will shut itself off and become a doorstop The box DOES communicate with the head-end, how else do you think every box on the account receives the exact same channels and how do you think pay TV VOD and PPV is billed to the customer?

Here is just a small sample of (my area) cable customers selling their DCT2524 to other cable customers. The DCT2524 goes for an average price of $30. Anyone claiming a 200 dollar stolen box will pick up channels for life is a scammer full of crap...

Motorolla Dct 2524 - $45
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...404412864.html

shaw dct 2524 sd reciever - $50
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...382977791.html

Motorola DCT2524 Digital Receiver for Shaw - $30
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rc...380110171.html

Motorola Digital Cable Boxes DCT 2524 - $25
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...374852400.html

2 x Shaw SD Digital Cable Boxes 2224 and a 2524
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...350366495.html

Shaw Digital box - $25 Motorola DCT 2524
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...344334121.html

Shaw DCT 700/2524 Digital Cable Boxes - $40
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...340971664.html

Motorola DCT2524 Shaw Cable Box - $45
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...323327683.html

SHAW Digital Receiver - $25
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...404558725.html

Motorolla Dct 2524 - $45
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...404412864.html
post #12 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 02:34 PM

I have a question. Let me first state that I am in no way trying to steal cable. I already have cox digital service account and pay for all my subscribed channels. Here is my question: I have 2 TV's, one in my bedroom that has no box and just a direct coax cable hooked to the back of the TV that recieves ch. 2-99. I also have another TV in my living room with a motorola DCT box that gets all of my premium and additional channels like HBO, Cinemax, etc. To my understand, it is legal to own your own digital box in the U.S. So, that being said, if I were to purchase a second identical motorola DCT6412 off of eBay or craigslist and then use it for my bedroom TV in the same set-up as my living room TV, would I get all of the same channels that I currently get in the living room since it is just an additional box on the same account? The goal of this would be to just buy an additional box outright to avoid the additional monthly rental charges. Would the company be able to see that there are two boxes on my account instead of just the one I currently rent from them? It seems legal and logical to me and would spare me the additional $12 rental fee of a second box each month. Thanks in advance for your responses.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutigerdental View Post

To my understand, it is legal to own your own digital box in the U.S. So, that being said, if I were to purchase a second identical motorola DCT6412 off of eBay or craigslist and then use it for my bedroom TV in the same set-up as my living room TV, would I get all of the same channels that I currently get in the living room since it is just an additional box on the same account? .

Yes, it is legal to "own" the cable box. But, cableco's in the US will not "authorize" a "non-rented" cable box to get the channels to which you subscribe. It may work for a while, but they will send a signal to shut it down completely making it useless. You have to rent a box (and additional boxes) from your local provider.

Yeah... it sucks. Write to your congressmen and have the laws amended.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:

I have a question. Let me first state that I am in no way trying to steal cable. I already have cox digital service account and pay for all my subscribed channels. Here is my question: I have 2 TV's, one in my bedroom that has no box and just a direct coax cable hooked to the back of the TV that recieves ch. 2-99. I also have another TV in my living room with a motorola DCT box that gets all of my premium and additional channels like HBO, Cinemax, etc. To my understand, it is legal to own your own digital box in the U.S. So, that being said, if I were to purchase a second identical motorola DCT6412 off of eBay or craigslist and then use it for my bedroom TV in the same set-up as my living room TV, would I get all of the same channels that I currently get in the living room since it is just an additional box on the same account? The goal of this would be to just buy an additional box outright to avoid the additional monthly rental charges. Would the company be able to see that there are two boxes on my account instead of just the one I currently rent from them? It seems legal and logical to me and would spare me the additional $12 rental fee of a second box each month. Thanks in advance for your responses.

I'm sure others may disagree but being a cable technician, I would advise against buying a box off of eBay and/or craigslist. Seeing as many hardware failures as I have seen with these boxes, I can't say buying a box, especially one as old as a dct6412 ,would be a good move. Even avoiding $12/month, it would take over a year to pay for itself. And if it breaks down before then you are out. Not to mention the constantly changing technology landscape there is no guarantee how long it would be compatible. The risk outweighs the reward IMO and experience.

As far as having a cable company allow you to use it, I don't know for sure but I have been doing this for 13 years and have never seen a consumer purchased box other than a cheater box. Your best bet may be a cable card device. Others with more knowledge on them can point you in the right direction if you so choose.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So, that being said, if I were to purchase a second identical motorola DCT6412 off of eBay or craigslist and then use it for my bedroom TV in the same set-up as my living room TV, would I get all of the same channels that I currently get in the living room since it is just an additional box on the same account?

As said, the cableco has to activate the box to get it to work on their system, and they only activate boxes that are leased by them. Buying a box off of eBay and CL is a fine way to own an expensive doorstop.

Now DVRs are a bit different, as the two you can own (Moxi and TiVo) are equipped with cableCARD slots that you can lease from your cableco for substantially less than a box. But the upfront costs of a DVR are more (or with TiVo, have an ongoing fee unless you get their lifetime service.)

There is no free lunch. To get all the channels, you'll have to lease SOMETHING.

post #16 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Yeah... it sucks. Write to your congressmen and have the laws amended.

I'm not even sure if there is a law to amend. The cablecos are already obligated to use separateable security (cableCARD) for their newer equipment and provide cableCARDs when asked. And neither Pace, Motorola, Cisco, or anyone else who makes boxes are selling them on the American market.

post #17 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My point being... you can legally own/buy cable boxes in Canada. There must be some US law. Can anyone explain why?
post #18 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Could it be possible that Motorola, et al., decided that in the US they'd just sell only to cable companies?

I'm not discounting the possibility of a law, but if it is, it's on the books somewhere and we should get a US code number or something. It's supposed to be public record.

post #19 of 19 Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

If anyone out there is on Canadian Shaw cable - here are some tips.

1) Do not buy a box that is from a different cable provider. The folks at Shaw know that in the US you can't purchase a box so any Comcast or other US cable box will likely be stolen and Shaw will not authorize it.

2) Before buying a box from a Shaw customer get the seller to contact Shaw and take the box off their account. Get the serial number off the customer and contact Shaw with the serial number. Shaw will let you know if the box is off the previous account and they will also let you know if the previous customer owes any money on their cable account - if they do, don't buy the box as Shaw will not activate the box until the money owing is paid up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags View Post

I'm sure others may disagree but being a cable technician, I would advise against buying a box off of eBay and/or craigslist. Seeing as many hardware failures as I have seen with these boxes, I can't say buying a box, especially one as old as a dct6412 ,would be a good move. Even avoiding $12/month, it would take over a year to pay for itself. And if it breaks down before then you are out. Not to mention the constantly changing technology landscape there is no guarantee how long it would be compatible. The risk outweighs the reward IMO and experience

I have to disagree with you. I find the Motorola boxes extremely tough, much tougher than most consumer electronics. I still have working Motorola boxes dating back to 2000. I have friends with old boxes that still function as new. I think the reason they are tougher than most consumer electronics is because they are mostly for the rental market and folks tend to abuse rental items more than owned items.

As to the technology changing and making your box obsolete, this is the way I look at it. My cable co has a couple million rented boxes in circulation and another few million sold boxes in circulation using the same technology as my Motorola. If they should all of a sudden make my box obsolete than they better have a plan to replace the millions of rentals and millions of boxes they sold in the last few years. Sure they are adding MPEG-4 and other stuff to receive 1080p with a lower bit-rate but they are FAR from making the millions of boxes in circulation obsolete.

Please not: My advise only applies to my current situation.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page