post #331 of 535 Old 05-05-2012, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

this is the exact system we are using. from the service side they were able to test various Home DVR systems and so far the Arris was the choice the cable company i work decided to go.

I can see why. What system are you on? The central home gateway seems to be the choice for most providers. Dish and DirecTV have gone to it in their own way. Dish has the Hopper/Joey and DirecTV has the HR-34 with clients.

Are your Gateways running the Moxi software?

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 535 Old 05-06-2012, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

I can see why. What system are you on? The central home gateway seems to be the choice for most providers. Dish and DirecTV have gone to it in their own way. Dish has the Hopper/Joey and DirecTV has the HR-34 with clients.

Are your Gateways running the Moxi software?

Buckeye Cable and yes the Gateways are running the Moxi software. one pretty cool feature everybody likes is the caller id function on the lower part of the tv screen.
post #333 of 535 Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Buckeye Cable and yes the Gateways are running the Moxi software. one pretty cool feature everybody likes is the caller id function on the lower part of the tv screen.

Never heard of the system. Is it a more localized one? Generally more localized or community based services are far better at giving the customers what they want. The down side is negotiating power when it comes to dealing with the content providers. For example, what is your HD line up looking like? How many? In my division, (for all its faults) TWC has one of the most comprehensive line ups of HD - albeit scattered and disorganized.

post #334 of 535 Old 05-06-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Never heard of the system. Is it a more localized one? Generally more localized or community based services are far better at giving the customers what they want. The down side is negotiating power when it comes to dealing with the content providers. For example, what is your HD line up looking like? How many? In my division, (for all its faults) TWC has one of the most comprehensive line ups of HD - albeit scattered and disorganized.

Buckeye cable is more mid western, ohio, kentucky, michigan...as far as HD content, i would think it's just like any other cable system. coming from San Diego i worked for all 3 providers like Cox, Charter and TWC. none of them however had the whole home solutions tho. the whs as we call it just released in March and so far great reviews and feedback.
post #335 of 535 Old 05-06-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can you provide a link to you service page? It should have a channel line up listed. I'd like to compare. Right now, TWC's whole home works but leaves ALOT to be desired. Simple things like scheduling and monitoring recordings across clients is non-existent. The only way to schedule and monitor effectively is by use of the smartphone app. I'm hopeful that TWC will put out a robust whole home solution. They should be wise enough to see that two tuner no longer cuts it. A six tuner solution would virtually eliminate recording conflicts for most subs.

That whole home gateway would also make Sig Home installs far easier by reducing devices.

What kind of Internet speeds are you guys offering? Are you utilizing the D3 modem and all available bonded channels? In theory the D3 should support speeds up to 150mbps. Here we top out at 50mbps.

post #336 of 535 Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Can you provide a link to you service page? It should have a channel line up listed. I'd like to compare. Right now, TWC's whole home works but leaves ALOT to be desired. Simple things like scheduling and monitoring recordings across clients is non-existent. The only way to schedule and monitor effectively is by use of the smartphone app. I'm hopeful that TWC will put out a robust whole home solution. They should be wise enough to see that two tuner no longer cuts it. A six tuner solution would virtually eliminate recording conflicts for most subs.

That whole home gateway would also make Sig Home installs far easier by reducing devices.

What kind of Internet speeds are you guys offering? Are you utilizing the D3 modem and all available bonded channels? In theory the D3 should support speeds up to 150mbps. Here we top out at 50mbps.

here is the lineup. internet speeds vary from 5.0, 15.0, 25.0 all the way up to 50 i believe. with mocha the media players have ethernet connections were if needed, could hook up a hardwire connection if needed. the maximum # of media players so far in one residential home is 6 players. 6 recordings at the same time but don't have to watch either 6. all media players will have the same recordings no matter which media player you use. with moxi you can also play games like black jack, solitaire, ect...incoming of telephone calls.

http://www.buckeyecablesystem.com/li...rie-lineup.pdf
post #337 of 535 Old 05-06-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

here is the lineup. internet speeds vary from 5.0, 15.0, 25.0 all the way up to 50 i believe. with mocha the media players have ethernet connections were if needed, could hook up a hardwire connection if needed. the maximum # of media players so far in one residential home is 6 players. 6 recordings at the same time but don't have to watch either 6. all media players will have the same recordings no matter which media player you use. with moxi you can also play games like black jack, solitaire, ect...incoming of telephone calls.

http://www.buckeyecablesystem.com/li...rie-lineup.pdf

Nice! Could a sub have more than one media gateway? IE: two gateways with 12 available tuners and additional players? What is the cost for equipment leases with you? What does the Gateway cost and what does each additional player cost? Time Warner kills you with the extra set top fee. The first is free, but each additional set top is like $8 a month!

post #338 of 535 Old 05-07-2012, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Connection Loss Report: Required another router reboot to reacquire my Internet connection today. I plan on posting anytime there is a glitch now. I may end up trying a new router, but don't see why I should have too. I just want to eliminate it as a suspect.

post #339 of 535 Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Nice! Could a sub have more than one media gateway? IE: two gateways with 12 available tuners and additional players? What is the cost for equipment leases with you? What does the Gateway cost and what does each additional player cost? Time Warner kills you with the extra set top fee. The first is free, but each additional set top is like $8 a month!

i don't have the breakdown for the prices for the setup. for now we've been doing mostly swaps for customers that are already active. i talked to a few of them and they are saving about $25 a month compared to what they were paying before. this is from the before 3 DVR boxes to the new media players so yeah, i heard it's cheaper. as far as running 2 gateway systems? i don't think it can be done since the gateway controls the 6 media players. i know you can run an extra modem by itself on the same system on a few installs i've done. but with the one gateway system the mocha keeps everything networked within that system. if you totally ran separate cable lines to the 2nd gateway than yeah, that would work...but damn, that's gonna get pretty expensive.
post #340 of 535 Old 05-07-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i don't have the breakdown for the prices for the setup. for now we've been doing mostly swaps for customers that are already active. i talked to a few of them and they are saving about $25 a month compared to what they were paying before. this is from the before 3 DVR boxes to the new media players so yeah, i heard it's cheaper. as far as running 2 gateway systems? i don't think it can be done since the gateway controls the 6 media players. i know you can run an extra modem by itself on the same system on a few installs i've done. but with the one gateway system the mocha keeps everything networked within that system. if you totally ran separate cable lines to the 2nd gateway than yeah, that would work...but damn, that's gonna get pretty expensive.

I was merely looking at it from the standpoint that if the players are using the 6 tuners in the media center, it could get tied up very easily. Or do the players have their own tuner for local viewing on the set they are connected to?

post #341 of 535 Old 05-07-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:

I was merely looking at it from the standpoint that if the players are using the 6 tuners in the media center, it could get tied up very easily. Or do the players have their own tuner for local viewing on the set they are connected to?

not at all...you can actually watch the same recorded movie on all 6 media players playing at different times...meaning i can be watching LOTR on media (1) 4 minutes into the movie...media (2) 30 minutes into the movie...media (3) 1 hr into the movie and so on. now if someone deletes that show on one of the media players while everybody is watching on the other 5 media players, the movie automatically stops. now there were talks of the user able to control which media players to delete a specific recording without affecting the other media players but that sounded like something that might work, or might not work. it's up to the programmers sending firmwares for the update. they are still getting feedback from customers for ways of improving the system. the gateway has a 500GB HDD, 512MB Ram, Docsis 3 with an additional 4 port ethernet. so this unit can handle everything a customer needs for whole home networking.

just did an install with 1 gateway and 6 media players. all with the use of the wifi network running 30 megs and digital phone. customer really liked the idea of being able to record 6 programs while watching something else, caller ID at the bottom of the tv screen when getting an incoming call. ability to play games like solitaire and black jack. so another happy customer with the whole home solutions from Buckeye Cable.
post #342 of 535 Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

not at all...you can actually watch the same recorded movie on all 6 media players playing at different times...meaning i can be watching LOTR on media (1) 4 minutes into the movie...media (2) 30 minutes into the movie...media (3) 1 hr into the movie and so on. now if someone deletes that show on one of the media players while everybody is watching on the other 5 media players, the movie automatically stops. now there were talks of the user able to control which media players to delete a specific recording without affecting the other media players but that sounded like something that might work, or might not work. it's up to the programmers sending firmwares for the update. they are still getting feedback from customers for ways of improving the system. the gateway has a 500GB HDD, 512MB Ram, Docsis 3 with an additional 4 port ethernet. so this unit can handle everything a customer needs for whole home networking.

just did an install with 1 gateway and 6 media players. all with the use of the wifi network running 30 megs and digital phone. customer really liked the idea of being able to record 6 programs while watching something else, caller ID at the bottom of the tv screen when getting an incoming call. ability to play games like solitaire and black jack. so another happy customer with the whole home solutions from Buckeye Cable.

Right, but I'm asking if 6 different people are watching 6 different shows (each player watching a show) does that tie up all 6 tuners? What happens if a scheduled recording comes up? Or does each player have it's own tuner for live feeds?

post #343 of 535 Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
My old two year contract is about up at TW. I am considering their new packages that includes a digital phone. For reasons I don't want to get into, I also want to keep my existing ATT (POTS) line. I have a number of two line phones from when I had two ATT landlines. My whole house is pre-wired for several phone lines to each phone jack. Does anyone know if I can keep my ATT line as line one and then add a TW digital line as line two on those 2 line phones? Basically I want the TW phone line wired as a second line at all my existing phone jack locations.
post #344 of 535 Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

My old two year contract is about up at TW. I am considering their new packages that includes a digital phone. For reasons I don't want to get into, I also want to keep my existing ATT (POTS) line. I have a number of two line phones from when I had two ATT landlines. My whole house is pre-wired for several phone lines to each phone jack. Does anyone know if I can keep my ATT line as line one and then add a TW digital line as line two on those 2 line phones? Basically I want the TW phone line wired as a second line at all my existing phone jack locations.

I had 2 AT&T analog lines. Keep 1 & converted the other to TWC digital as part of move to Signature Home. The tech had to think for a few minutes and then set everything up. Works fine, even my alarm system works with the digital line.
post #345 of 535 Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Right, but I'm asking if 6 different people are watching 6 different shows (each player watching a show) does that tie up all 6 tuners? What happens if a scheduled recording comes up? Or does each player have it's own tuner for live feeds?

i'm not sure why it would tie up if all media players allow you to watch whatever you want. like i posted earlier, you can record up to 6 shows on the same time slot but still able to watch something else.
post #346 of 535 Old 05-08-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

yes you can, it's just a matter of reconfiguring the phone lines. the technician will already know how to do that. just tell him what jacks are what.
post #347 of 535 Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i'm not sure why it would tie up if all media players allow you to watch whatever you want. like i posted earlier, you can record up to 6 shows on the same time slot but still able to watch something else.

I read about media players being "streaming devices" and it may not be how these operate. I just wanted to be clear that each one wasn't piggy'backing of the media server. Thanks for the input.

post #348 of 535 Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick Question:
Has anyone ever got their hands on the fable Arris TG852G gateway? It seems immpossible to get one NY!
post #349 of 535 Old 05-09-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loststorm View Post

Quick Question:
Has anyone ever got their hands on the fable Arris TG852G gateway? It seems immpossible to get one NY!

It looks like a good product, but a source tells me the separate MTA and modem are more reliable with less issues. That said, I constantly have issues with losing the DNS server on my Motorola running in bridge mode.

post #350 of 535 Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I try to get my hands on Arris TG852G for at least a month. Unfortunately I had no luck in getting one. When I contact Time Warner online(lastweek), they told me that the TG852G is available in NY now. So as suggested I called my local Time Warner office. Which they inform me that it was not in the system. Not one to give up easily, I call Time Warner again this monday. This time I was told they were finally in the system, and should be in stock by friday at the TWC payment centers. So hopefully I will be able to get one this friday and replace the crappy ones I have now.

Current equipment:
Ubee DDW3611(wideband) - Internet
Arris TM602G (original modem) - voip
post #351 of 535 Old 06-13-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50

Ben said I could post a TW Whole House DVR question here. Here in San Antonio, Texas, it seems you can't get a Cisco 8642 or 8742 unless you sign-up for either (and tech must bring and install DVRs):

1. Whole House DVR

2. Signature Home

I had two SA-8300HD. I've had them both for about 7 years. I took one to Service Center to get replaced yesterday, and they tried to give me a 8240HDC. I said no thanks ... you can keep both and remove from my bill for now. So, we are down to just one 8300HD for now. I have to decide what to do. Actually, I didn't know they were finally offering Whole-House-DVR without the Sig-Home Package.

Whole House DVR: Actually, this sounds like it would work good for us...

1. All recordings scheduled and recorded at one location.

2. Yes, we can live with only 2 channels recording at the same time.

So, will I get a 8642/8742 and then a 4642 (Playback only ... Player Only)? That would be fine. First a kinda silly question ...

Can we watch Live-TV on the 4642 also? That works on it's own ... just like the cheapest Digital Tuner box ... right?

Also, what are some max. utilization scenarios? For instance, could I do this all at the same time ...

Den (DVR-1): Be recording one HD channel

Den (DVR-1): Be recording a second HD Channel (which I'm also watching)

BedRoom (Player-1): Be Playing back a HD show from DVR-1 in Den

What a cool thread about Sig. Home. I'll try to get caught up on it as well. I guess it's an option ... but I know if I did it, after adding HBO, fees and taxes ... my bill is going to be right around $250 a month.

Right now, I use TW for TV and Internet, and AT&T for POTS/analog phone (2 lines) ... and I kinda like it this way. I also like using their Arris modem with my own router (and gigabit switches). We also have 2 cell phones with AT&T (but they don't work well in house at all).

post #352 of 535 Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My answers in RED and yes, since Whole Home is a staple of the Sig Home Package, feel free to discuss it. This thread was started to discuss all things Sig Home related from products to installs to help and advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Ben said I could post a TW Whole House DVR question here. Here in San Antonio, Texas, it seems you can't get a Cisco 8642 or 8742 unless you sign-up for either (and tech must bring and install DVRs):
1. Whole House DVR
2. Signature Home

I had two SA-8300HD. I've had them both for about 7 years. I took one to Service Center to get replaced yesterday, and they tried to give me a 8240HDC. I said no thanks ... you can keep both and remove from my bill for now. So, we are down to just one 8300HD for now. I have to decide what to do. Actually, I didn't know they were finally offering Whole-House-DVR without the Sig-Home Package.

Whole House DVR: Actually, this sounds like it would work good for us...
1. All recordings scheduled and recorded at one location.
2. Yes, we can live with only 2 channels recording at the same time.
So, will I get a 8642/8742 and then a 4642 (Playback only ... Player Only)? That would be fine. First a kinda silly question ...
Can we watch Live-TV on the 4642 also? That works on it's own ... just like the cheapest Digital Tuner box ... right?

Ok, the 4642HDC is a full featured set top box. It will work independently of the other unit. It will tune, have access to VOD, Start Over, Look Back, etc and still act as a client to stream recorded content off the DVR. Now, you will not be able to schedule recordings on it or pause Live TV, but should be able to delete from it (depending on software version). Hopefully future updates will allow scheduling. There are better Whole Home solutions that do these advanced feature (Arris Gateway and Pace XG1) but TWC is not using them as of yet or if ever.

Also, what are some max. utilization scenarios? For instance, could I do this all at the same time ...

Den (DVR-1): Be recording one HD channel
Den (DVR-1): Be recording a second HD Channel (which I'm also watching)
BedRoom (Player-1): Be Playing back a HD show from DVR-1 in Den

Yes. You can record two shows on the DVR and stream a recorded one to the client. Note that the reason they require truck rolls is for the installation of the MoCa filters. They apparently do not trust end users enough to screw them on even if they provided simple instructions. My other guess is the truck roll requires the tech to activate them which should also be able to be done by the customer.

What a cool thread about Sig. Home. I'll try to get caught up on it as well. I guess it's an option ... but I know if I did it, after adding HBO, fees and taxes ... my bill is going to be right around $250 a month.
Right now, I use TW for TV and Internet, and AT&T for POTS/analog phone (2 lines) ... and I kinda like it this way. I also like using their Arris modem with my own router (and gigabit switches). We also have 2 cell phones with AT&T (but they don't work well in house at all).

Honestly, you would probably save a bundle moving to Sig Home Premium for $230 which would give you Home Phone with all the features (you can have a second line for a fee, but I'm not sure how much), Wideband 50/5 Internet and 2 Whole Home DVR's with all the Premium Channels (The package is $200 without Premiums). I'm not trying to shill for TW as I have and continue to have issues with them, but looking at getting you more for your money.

post #353 of 535 Old 06-14-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the difference between a Cisco 8642HDC & 8742HDC?

Should I replace my 8642s for 8742s (If TWC lets me)?

HH
post #354 of 535 Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

What is the difference between a Cisco 8642HDC & 8742HDC?
Should I replace my 8642s for 8742s (If TWC lets me)?
HH

The size is the main difference. The 8642 has a footprint comparable to the 8300 series whereas the 8742 is much smaller and has an external power supply. The 8742 is closer in size to a standard cable box like the 4600 series. The 8742 has a little more horsepower for processing as well.
I love the 8742 in my bedroom because it's small enough to fit on my wall shelf under the tv where the 8642 would hang over the edges because it was too large.

Documentation on the 8642:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8611/ps8612/ps8613/7015625A.pdf

Someinfo on the 8742:

http://samkear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Cisco-8742-Quick-Reference-Guide.pdf

http://www.multichannel.com/article/465086-Cisco_Preps_Linux_Based_Tru2way_Cable_Set_Tops.php?rssid=20061

I don't hink you'll see a major difference with the step up, but that really depends on the software revision you are running. Early reports had the 8742 handling Navigator better, but other issues like interlacing popped up. I have the newest Guide 5.2 and it runs great on the 8742.

post #355 of 535 Old 06-15-2012, 07:40 AM

I have 3 --8642 DVR's, and the change I would like to see is to give the same feature as the mobile app that would let you go to the menu and choose the box you want to look at (like Den--bedrm-lvrm)and see what is scheduled to record/channel and time. We can of course play from any box programs that are recorded on any box but we need to see more info and be able to change it at any box.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which least is known
(3) Cisco 8742HDC---Signature Home---Navigator ver.-- 6.1.0_5
Desert Cities CA

post #356 of 535 Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDO CA View Post

I have 3 --8642 DVR's, and the change I would like to see is to give the same feature as the mobile app that would let you go to the menu and choose the box you want to look at (like Den--bedrm-lvrm)and see what is scheduled to record/channel and time. We can of course play from any box programs that are recorded on any box but we need to see more info and be able to change it at any box.

If they went with the Arris/Moxi 6 tuner or Pace XG1 we would have that already as the client boxes see and schedule from the Gateway.

post #357 of 535 Old 06-21-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

My answers in RED and yes, since Whole Home is a staple of the Sig Home Package, feel free to discuss it. This thread was started to discuss all things Sig Home related from products to installs to help and advice.

I need a little MOCA filter info help ... I'm kinda paranoid after talking with TW counter rep. (talking about sharing my stuff with the neighborhood).

I just got back from local TW office (I was on waiting list). I'm so happy right now. I got a Cisco 8742hdc, a Cisco 4642hdc, and signed-up for Whole House DVR (and keeping existing 10mb Standard RoadRunner) ... all for a great price. He said the boxes are authorized and ready to go.

He also gave me one Moca filter. He said it goes on the coax right behind the Arris cable modem input. Is that right? How does he know what other splits or filters I have?

They are still doing to roll-a-truck (Service Call) on 26th for tech to check and finish install (if something is still not working). Thanks to this forum, I got the DVRs I wanted (and not whatever they had on the truck).

I would really just like to know exactly what these filters do ... and if I only have one ... where is the best place for it? I have Structured Wiring and know how a lot of this works. For instance ... if the best place for this Moca filter is at the point where the cable first "hits the house" (before any other device or filter) ... I can make that happen. Thanks and sorry if this has been answered before but my search of this thread didn't really reveal the exact info I was looking for.

post #358 of 535 Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

I would really just like to know exactly what these filters do ... and if I only have one ... where is the best place for it? I have Structured Wiring and know how a lot of this works. For instance ... if the best place for this Moca filter is at the point where the cable first "hits the house" (before any other device or filter) ... I can make that happen. Thanks and sorry if this has been answered before but my search of this thread didn't really reveal the exact info I was looking for.

Yes, you want it at the POE (point of entry). It basically just blocks return path signals in the MoCA range (above 870Mhz or so).

If you have an amp at your POE, it is already blocking the MoCA signal from getting out.

xnappo
post #359 of 535 Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Yes, you want it at the POE (point of entry). It basically just blocks return path signals in the MoCA range (above 870Mhz or so).
If you have an amp at your POE, it is already blocking the MoCA signal from getting out.
xnappo

Thanks for the reply.

So, installed at the modem like rep. said (which has obviously already been split to House/TVs) ... does basically nothing.

Gotcha ... POE instead. With the OnQ-SW ... that still ends up being inside the house in wiring closet.

So, if I have a signal amp (for only the STBs/TVs) ... MoCA network traffic can't get past those either huh? Interesting.

So, this MoCA network is how the DVRs communicate with each other? More like a local LAN ... keeping that traffic inside my house ... right?

post #360 of 535 Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

xnappo

Now that I understand what it really does, I think this might be better. This still gives Arris cable modem a straight connect to POE. The Splitter has been there since install. All coax is RG-6.

POE

|

|-Splitter (5-1000Mhz)-|

|                                 |

Cable-Modem         MoCA Filter

Router                     Amplified-Coax-Splitter-(6-port)

Switches                  STBs and TVs

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page