Time Warner Cable - Signature Home Service - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #361 of 539 Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in Ohio and have digital cable with HD. I have a Scietific Atlanta Exploror 8300. Does anyone else live in northwest Ohio or Ohio in general that has Time Warner with a different cable box? I calculated and I can hold up to 33 hours of HD(Which is the only thing I watch/record). Is there another office you're aware of that has a better receiver with more storage? It seems like I'm always having to delete. I know when I visited my sister in AZ her Direct Tv HD receiver held a ton more than my lousy DVR. I don't really want to switch bevause friends who have Dish/Direct Tv they get lousy reception when ts cloudy or raining(which it is one or the other in northeast Ohio 85% of the time. Can anyone comment on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 539 Old 06-22-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLennerth View Post

I live in Ohio and have digital cable with HD. I have a Scietific Atlanta Exploror 8300. Does anyone else live in northwest Ohio or Ohio in general that has Time Warner with a different cable box? I calculated and I can hold up to 33 hours of HD(Which is the only thing I watch/record). Is there another office you're aware of that has a better receiver with more storage? It seems like I'm always having to delete. I know when I visited my sister in AZ her Direct Tv HD receiver held a ton more than my lousy DVR. I don't really want to switch bevause friends who have Dish/Direct Tv they get lousy reception when ts cloudy or raining(which it is one or the other in northeast Ohio 85% of the time. Can anyone comment on this?

All 8240/8300 series boxes had 160GB drives. Virtually any of the newer boxes have larger drives:

SA/Cisco
  • 8640HDC: 320GB
  • 8642HDC: 500GB
  • 8742HDC: 500GB

Samsung
  • SMT-H3090: 160GB or 320GB (both have been issued in systems)
  • SMT-H3270: 320GB
  • SMT-H3272: 500GB

All whole-house capable units (which have been issued to customers without whole-house service in some system) have 500GB drives.

Non-whole-house boxes newer than the 8240/8300 models mostly have 320GB drives, the exception being a portion of the Samsung 3090 inventory.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #363 of 539 Old 06-24-2012, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I have not yet seen a 3372 box.

post #364 of 539 Old 06-24-2012, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

in general that has Time Warner with a different cable box? Can anyone comment on this?

We fought the space thing for many years. We had the record mostly in SD to save space.

I had two 8300HD for about 5 years. My Customer Service Center let me put my name on a list for a 8642 or 8742. Sure enough, they called 2 weeks later and I went down there and got my new 8742. For the other room, I got a 4642 Playback Only box because it was only $10 and signed up for WholeHouseDVR. To fix the money part, they gave the current WholeHouseDVR Promo for one year. My bill is actually $20 mo. cheaper now.

Anyway ... do the list thing ... or sign-up for Whole House.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #365 of 539 Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

All 8240/8300 series boxes had 160GB drives. Virtually any of the newer boxes have larger drives:
SA/Cisco
  • 8640HDC: 320GB
  • 8642HDC: 500GB
  • 8742HDC: 500GB
Samsung
  • SMT-H3090: 160GB or 320GB (both have been issued in systems)
  • SMT-H3270: 320GB
  • SMT-H3272: 500GB
  • SMT-H3372: 500GB
All whole-house capable units (which have been issued to customers without whole-house service in some system) have 500GB drives.
Non-whole-house boxes newer than the 8240/8300 models mostly have 320GB drives, the exception being a portion of the Samsung 3090 inventory.

Does anyone know if I can just unplug the power cable, HDMI, unplug the coaxial digital audio cord, and unscrew the cable cord, then just hook the new box up with the same cords? I know the hdmi, and coaxial will be fine but not sure about the power cord. I have the cable box inside an entertainment stand and will have to climb up onto the bay window window to get behind the tv. I hurt my foot the other day and this is not possible for a while currently. I need to know if the power supply is the same cord/voltage as the other. I may be able to find out te voltage because I have a doc on my desktop but am not by it now. I'll edit this post and put in what it says the power info is shortly.
post #366 of 539 Old 06-24-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

We fought the space thing for many years. We had the record mostly in SD to save space.

I had two 8300HD for about 5 years. My Customer Service Center let me put my name on a list for a 8642 or 8742. Sure enough, they called 2 weeks later and I went down there and got my new 8742. For the other room, I got a 4642 Playback Only box because it was only $10 and signed up for WholeHouseDVR. To fix the money part, they gave the current WholeHouseDVR Promo for one year. My bill is actually $20 mo. cheaper now.

Anyway ... do the list thing ... or sign-up for Whole House.

You know what's sick, I have my digital cable box, PS3, and Xbox 360 all hooked up via hdmi and optical digital for sound. I have it in a place that's extremely difficult to hook/unhook all these components. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to directly contact my payment center to see if they have newer equiptment before I unplug all this stuff. So I have no way to see of they have new equiptment unless I physically drive up there. Thenid have to go home and unplug my stuff to swap it out. Seems llie a bit of a pain. Why is there no direct line to call these places? They don't have phones there I guess.
post #367 of 539 Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 AM

Also is there a way for them to transfer the shows on your DVR? I think I was told awhile back that they could do it with a sim card. Will this transfer my series manager/ scheduled recordings too? Otherwise I'll have to write down the channels and start times to set them back up. The only problem with that is that I can't schedule shows that ae not currently running I.e the show runs in the fall not summer.
post #368 of 539 Old 06-24-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

I have not yet seen a 3372 box.

You are correct. Thanks for catching my error. My post has been updated.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #369 of 539 Old 06-24-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

You know what's sick, I have my digital cable box, PS3, and Xbox 360 all hooked up via hdmi and optical digital for sound. I have it in a place that's extremely difficult to hook/unhook all these components. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to directly contact my payment center to see if they have newer equiptment before I unplug all this stuff. So I have no way to see of they have new equiptment unless I physically drive up there. Thenid have to go home and unplug my stuff to swap it out. Seems llie a bit of a pain. Why is there no direct line to call these places? They don't have phones there I guess.

Yea,

I always thought that was so retarded! The local service centers don't have phones? I asked TWC about it. "Can you get some phones at your local services outlets so people don't have to drive, or for elderly and disabled people who can't?" Their response was as much as they would like to have phones at ALL kiosk outlets, they can't because they only have maybe 2-4 reps at the counters, and the Call Time for the thousands of customers with such a small amount of reps. Customers would have to wait that much longer, and issues would never get resolved because the local lines would always be busy. Too few reps at local off-shoot offices to handle Call Volume.

It makes sense. But at the same time, there has to be a better way to communicate between the non-main office and the customers.

Jack

SA-8300HDC DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Guide Version -ODN 7.3
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
post #370 of 539 Old 06-24-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hey All,

If you are a Signature Home Customer and you have one of the Multi-Room boxes that is working really well, (The 500GB) in the new Ciscos, Motorolas, and Samsungs, and you drop down your service to just a regular customer with Digital Cable, do you have to swap your box back out for the older and slower SA-8240 or SA-8300? Is it true that they won't let you keep your Signature Home box, or does this vary by division and the person that you talk to when you downgrade service?

Jack

SA-8300HDC DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Guide Version -ODN 7.3
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
post #371 of 539 Old 06-24-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Does anyone know if I can just unplug the power cable, HDMI, unplug the coaxial digital audio cord, and unscrew the cable cord, then just hook the new box up with the same cords? I know the hdmi, and coaxial will be fine but not sure about the power cord. I have the cable box inside an entertainment stand and will have to climb up onto the bay window window to get behind the tv. I hurt my foot the other day and this is not possible for a while currently. I need to know if the power supply is the same cord/voltage as the other. I may be able to find out te voltage because I have a doc on my desktop but am not by it now. I'll edit this post and put in what it says the power info is shortly.
Some, if not all, of the new boxes use a power brick instead of a power cord into the back (as on the SA8300 series). I now have 8742s - which use the power brick. The other cables (coax in, HDMI, digital audio, should be OK.

Dave Hancock
post #372 of 539 Old 06-24-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it took 2 trips ... but the way it all worked out ... it was worth it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1337568/time-warner-cable-signature-home-service/330#post_22130407

If you didn't care what exact boxes you got (Cisco or Samsung) ...as long as they were newer ... You could order Whole-House-DVR. They will bring new boxes and install them at your house. 

Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #373 of 539 Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 AM

I have digital HD cable and their fastest Internet. I hope I get a good rep that'll give me a 500 GB box so I don't have to delete crap constantly. I wish they would let their regular customers record more than 2 shows at once. That my biggest issue with TWC. I don't wanna do whole houses deal cuz I use cell phones and have no need for a house phone line.
post #374 of 539 Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have digital HD cable and their fastest Internet. I hope I get a good rep that'll give me a 500 GB box so I don't have to delete crap constantly. I wish they would let their regular customers record more than 2 shows at once. That my biggest issue with TWC. I don't wanna do whole houses deal cuz I use cell phones and have no need for a house phone line.

It's not so much the Reps, as the nicer/newer DVRs not being in the stock queue on the day you go.

WholeHouse DVR is not the same as Signature Home.

post #375 of 539 Old 06-25-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

WholeHouse DVR is not the same as Signature Home.

True - in most markets you can get whole home without signature home now. However the price difference may be so small that you might as well get the phone too...

When I called they wanted quite a bit for it. I ended up going to WMC and a Ceton card.

xnappo
post #376 of 539 Old 06-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Also is there a way for them to transfer the shows on your DVR? I think I was told awhile back that they could do it with a sim card. Will this transfer my series manager/ scheduled recordings too? Otherwise I'll have to write down the channels and start times to set them back up. The only problem with that is that I can't schedule shows that ae not currently running I.e the show runs in the fall not summer.
Nope, can't transfer. Need to watch the recordings and note the series (I used a camera and took pictures of my list). You are also correct on shows not scheduled you have to remember when fall comes around. I kept the old DVR and put on 2nd TV for a month to get past this issue. Adds a cost, but felt worth it since I could get the bigger drive and could verify it was working fine. I had an external drive on the 8300HD which is also an option (may or may not work on 8300HDC or other models). /Dan
post #377 of 539 Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Yes, it took 2 trips ... but the way it all worked out ... it was worth it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1337568/time-warner-cable-signature-home-service/330#post_22130407

If you didn't care what exact boxes you got (Cisco or Samsung) ...as long as they were newer ... You could order Whole-House-DVR. They will bring new boxes and install them at your house. 

I have their turbo Internet plus HD cable but only have 1DVR in the family room because my vizios in both bedrooms have a HD tuner built in and I dont have any premium channels because I have netflix plus a 360 & PS3 , so I can stream HD movies to my tv for free so the only reason I'd want the whole house DVR vs for the space bevause I really need the 500GB because I record tons of shows. I only wish they could up their Docsis 3.0 system to 100mbps so I can record 4 shows at once like my sister can on her TiVo from Direct Tv.
post #378 of 539 Old 06-28-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

I have their turbo Internet plus HD cable but only have 1DVR in the family room because my vizios in both bedrooms have a HD tuner built in and I dont have any premium channels because I have netflix plus a 360 & PS3 , so I can stream HD movies to my tv for free so the only reason I'd want the whole house DVR vs for the space bevause I really need the 500GB because I record tons of shows. I only wish they could up their Docsis 3.0 system to 100mbps so I can record 4 shows at once like my sister can on her TiVo from Direct Tv.

I haven't been keeping up, but my understanding is the external eSATA drives are working again on some boxes.

xnappo
post #379 of 539 Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fired TWC, Hired DTV.

HH
post #380 of 539 Old 06-29-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

Fired TWC, Hired DTV.
HH

Are you going to have comparable services with D* such as Whole Home DVR? I'd like a comparison review if that is the case.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #381 of 539 Old 06-29-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Are you going to have comparable services with D* such as Whole Home DVR? I'd like a comparison review if that is the case.

NO,,BETTER services,,,Yes, Whole Home, I now have 7 Tuners (one with 5 & one with 2) on the 5 tuner (with a terabyte of storage) I can record 4 shows at once and watch live, or record 6 at one time and watch live!!

So far, and it's early, I can't believe I hung on to TWC so long, cheaper and far superior quality Picture, with many extras that TWC can't compete with...

I strongly urge you or anyone with TWC to check out DTV,,NO, I don't have any connection to them,,, Just a very happy camper, so far.

HH
post #382 of 539 Old 06-30-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I have both Time Warner and DirecTV, full packages with each, whole house DVR with each. Got DirecTV back in February (had them from 2004-2006), after Time Warner dropped MSG. I cannot live without my Sabres hockey. DirecTV has been nothing short of a massive disappointment as it was the first time I had them. The HR34 overall has been a terrible receiver, especially after being upgraded to the HD GUI. The HR24 is not as bad, but neither receiver can make up for DirecTV’s lack of HD content and incredibly poor On Demand. MSG was restored on Time Warner prior to my 30 days were up with DirecTV, but I opted to keep DirecTV due to their 3D content, and I’d like to experience NFL Sunday Ticket. Now with n3D pretty much gone, after football season I’ll probably just cancel DirecTV and pay the ETF.

They only benefit I get out of DirecTV is the ability to ‘move’. I live in the Buffalo market, but feel more connected to Rochester. Even though my cable service is based out of Roc, I get Buffalo locals, I can get Roc locals on unencrypted QAM though. With DirecTV, I called up and had my service address changed so I can get Rochester locals.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.3.0_29
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0972, HR24-200 Running 0802
post #383 of 539 Old 07-02-2012, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

I have both Time Warner and DirecTV, full packages with each, whole house DVR with each. Got DirecTV back in February (had them from 2004-2006), after Time Warner dropped MSG. I cannot live without my Sabres hockey. DirecTV has been nothing short of a massive disappointment as it was the first time I had them. The HR34 overall has been a terrible receiver, especially after being upgraded to the HD GUI. The HR24 is not as bad, but neither receiver can make up for DirecTV’s lack of HD content and incredibly poor On Demand. MSG was restored on Time Warner prior to my 30 days were up with DirecTV, but I opted to keep DirecTV due to their 3D content, and I’d like to experience NFL Sunday Ticket. Now with n3D pretty much gone, after football season I’ll probably just cancel DirecTV and pay the ETF.
They only benefit I get out of DirecTV is the ability to ‘move’. I live in the Buffalo market, but feel more connected to Rochester. Even though my cable service is based out of Roc, I get Buffalo locals, I can get Roc locals on unencrypted QAM though. With DirecTV, I called up and had my service address changed so I can get Rochester locals.

I will concur that DirecTV is lacking many channels that TWC has. In fact, overall I'm happy with the channel selection on TWC. The Achilles Heel is the DVR software. TWC (even with this latest update) is just lacking features that any basic Guide should have. On top of that, it is just about the most user un-friendly GUI I've used to date.

post #384 of 539 Old 07-20-2012, 03:35 PM

I just had TWC come in and set me up with the Sig. Home Premium service on Wed. and they seem to try to do a better job. I have 50 and 5 now (with a new docsis 3 Arris modem TG862) and it tests on several servers at that or above. I had him put it in bridge mode as I have my router and I already had whole home (3x 8642) so he did not have to do anything there. He did check everything and seemed very knowledgeable. I see that both FIOS and Comcast have internet downloads above 300Mbps now so maybe TWC will increase theirs sometime. The tech said that if they do the Sig Home subs get it automatically at no higher cost.
They had a small glitch with my phone where they cut off the services like forwarding but fixed it after a call.
The part I like is they answer the phone without a long wait and the service appt. did not have a 2 hr window and they showed up at time agreed.
NOW just improve navigator!!!

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which least is known
(3) Cisco 8742HDC---Signature Home
Desert Cities CA
post #385 of 539 Old 07-22-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:

I'm in NW Ohio, specifically Bowling Green. I have a Scientific Atlanta 8240HDC. It's a total hunk of junk. I just made an account on this forum to say that the 8240HDC is junk. The thing is constantly locking up, rebooting, and now it's deleting my programs without authorization. My drive is only 10% full. I'm going to the Bowling Green office on South Main, across from the Burger King and WalMart on Gypsy Lane on Monday, and demanding a Samsung 3090HD or a Motorola DCH6416. Those are some of their best boxes, right? Also, I'm thinking about Getting a DOCSIS 3.0 connection. Not necessarily SignatureHome, but a DOCSIS 3.0 connection. I was thinking about buying a Motorola SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I can use my own modem with my connection, right? All I should have to do is give them the MAC address, correct? Will I get a discount? Right now I'm on RR "Standard" which is supposed to be 10/1. But, they swapped my modem awhile back. Now I usually get 20/1, sometimes even 30/1!. Thanks TWC for the free speed boost! tongue.gif

But, that upload speed is god awful.

Anyways, I say avoid the 8240HDC/8300HD at all costs. I'm about 8 miles from Bowling Green, near Cygnet. I'd change to U-verse or Comcast. Heck, I'd even go to Toledo BuckeyeExpress. But, Toledo BuckeyeExpress only goes as far as Perrysburg. Comcast is NOWHERE in NW Ohio, nor SE Michigan. U-verse is in Bowling Green, but only parts, and not available in Jerry City/Cygnet, or any of the small villages 5 miles away. I can go to DirecTV for TV, and CenturyLink for Internet. But, I don't want dish. My connection would drop every time it rains, etc. Well, It did that for me on DirecTV when I lived in Findlay. I don't want CenturyLink because I've heard bad experiences.

Here are my current speeds with TWC.

2077452376.png
post #386 of 539 Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehkwhiz View Post

I'm in NW Ohio, specifically Bowling Green. I have a Scientific Atlanta 8240HDC. It's a total hunk of junk. I just made an account on this forum to say that the 8240HDC is junk. The thing is constantly locking up, rebooting, and now it's deleting my programs without authorization. My drive is only 10% full. I'm going to the Bowling Green office on South Main, across from the Burger King and WalMart on Gypsy Lane on Monday, and demanding a Samsung 3090HD or a Motorola DCH6416. Those are some of their best boxes, right? Also, I'm thinking about Getting a DOCSIS 3.0 connection. Not necessarily SignatureHome, but a DOCSIS 3.0 connection. I was thinking about buying a Motorola SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I can use my own modem with my connection, right? All I should have to do is give them the MAC address, correct? Will I get a discount? Right now I'm on RR "Standard" which is supposed to be 10/1. But, they swapped my modem awhile back. Now I usually get 20/1, sometimes even 30/1!. Thanks TWC for the free speed boost! tongue.gif
But, that upload speed is god awful.
Anyways, I say avoid the 8240HDC/8300HD at all costs. I'm about 8 miles from Bowling Green, near Cygnet. I'd change to U-verse or Comcast. Heck, I'd even go to Toledo BuckeyeExpress. But, Toledo BuckeyeExpress only goes as far as Perrysburg. Comcast is NOWHERE in NW Ohio, nor SE Michigan. U-verse is in Bowling Green, but only parts, and not available in Jerry City/Cygnet, or any of the small villages 5 miles away. I can go to DirecTV for TV, and CenturyLink for Internet. But, I don't want dish. My connection would drop every time it rains, etc. Well, It did that for me on DirecTV when I lived in Findlay. I don't want CenturyLink because I've heard bad experiences.

So this rant has what to do with either:
TW Signature Home Service
or
TW Multi-Room

????????????????

There are more appropriate threads here to post such rants.
mad.gif

Dave Hancock
post #387 of 539 Old 07-22-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, it sounds like a box or Navigator related issue. The questions he asks about using his own equipment vary. In my division, you are not allowed to use your own equipment. I'm sure if you pushed the issue they would have to legally let you use your own modem, but you get no discounts of any kind here.

post #388 of 539 Old 07-22-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

So this rant has what to do with either:
TW Signature Home Service
or
TW Multi-Room
????????????????
mad.gif

Neither. I was ranting about how some of TWC's DVR's are absolute garbage. I wouldn't even call it a rant. I'm just saying the box I have is garbage, and I'm getting one of the two I listed. Then I asked if I could use my own DOCSIS 3.0 modem if I upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.0 connection.
post #389 of 539 Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Dave Hancock
post #390 of 539 Old 07-22-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

He asked if anybody else in NW Ohio had a box different to what he was given. I said I had a different box, but it was total garbage. I then told him the issues the box has. I then said that I'm going to my branch office, and requesting one of the two boxes I listed. Lastly, I asked a question if you can use your own networking equipment with their DOCSIS 3.0 services.

If this is the wrong thread, then sorry. I made an account just to voice my opinion on these boxes TWC gives us. If I did something wrong, excuse me.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page