post #511 of 536 Old 08-27-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

I will likely not be participating in this thread much longer as my phone number port completes earlier than expected on 8/29 and I'll be turning in all my TW owned equipment that day. If I don't the bill goes up $55 a month to $255 - yup, turn off home phone from the Sig Home package and the bill GOES UP!

Yeah, I really want to :

- Get my own modem
- Switch to Ooma

But.... I am worried even dropping phone and the modem lease will result in a higher bill.

To be clear - I am not on Sig home.

I have:

RR Standard
Digital package
Phone
Cable Card
HBO

$145 after tax.

xnappo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 536 Old 08-30-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Dropped Time Warner Cable & Phone effective today as well as downgraded to Extreme 30/5 Internet. Inquired about keeping Cable active via my CableCard only and was quoted a rate of $178 for both. That puts the rate for Digital Cable at close to $100 a month which is completely absurd. I am now transitioning over to my OTA plus streaming. I'm looking into the PlayOn software as well. So my Signature Home bill drops from $218 a month down to $91 for just Internet (which is still absurd), but that's what monopoly status gives you since I have no other broadband option.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #513 of 536 Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Dropped Time Warner Cable & Phone effective today as well as downgraded to Extreme 30/5 Internet. Inquired about keeping Cable active via my CableCard only and was quoted a rate of $178 for both. That puts the rate for Digital Cable at close to $100 a month which is completely absurd. I am now transitioning over to my OTA plus streaming. I'm looking into the PlayOn software as well. So my Signature Home bill drops from $218 a month down to $91 for just Internet (which is still absurd), but that's what monopoly status gives you since I have no other broadband option.

Drop internet to a more realistic 2-5 Mbps and you will probably cut your cable bill in half again.

30/5 internet seems awfully high speed for someone on a budget. Also, how often is it utilized, and how often is it available at those speeds? is 30/5 a guaranteed speed, or just another gimmick? Might as well cut it down to what they can guarantee all day long, which is probably 5-10 Mbps.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #514 of 536 Old 09-03-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not a budget issue. I use the extra bandwidth upstream. I dropped Sig Home because of the piss poor service, crappy whole home DVR and overall lack of value for the dollar. Living without it for the past week and not missing it. Many people I know are looking for alternatives as well because the are sick of the daily box reboots required just to watch TV.

post #515 of 536 Old 09-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am on the same path to drop Sig Home. I have been using it since 10/2010. I was one of the first users in my area. I am currently trying the new Tivo Roamio with M-Card and tuner adapter. So far it's working very well.

One thing I can say about TW is their internet at least here in Charlotte is rock solid and ALWAYS 50down and 5up. This is NOT DSL it doesn't change. I always get 50 down and have since 2010 with no outages that weren't weather related.

Not the same experience with their craptastic boxes. I despise TWC Sig Home boxes and look forward to ditching them.

Rodney
post #516 of 536 Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I really don't have issue with the line up or Internet service. The phone service wasn't even that bad, but the overall price points are just of no value. Ooma just crushes TW Phone though. The biggest downfall was and is Navigator and the poor whole home solution as its implemented.

We may opt back into cable using Xbox 360's as our set tops with the TWC app for on demand, but I really think we are going to find the same setup with OTA whole home and play on plus streaming will be sufficient.

post #517 of 536 Old 09-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So much for great Signature service. Called today to find out why I'm getting a bill for Sept-Oct service when I cancelled everything on 8/24 and returned the equipment same day.
After waiting on hold for several minuted, idiot tells me not to worry, don't pay it and the credits I'm due will show up on the next statement. Went into the Chat online and the person I dealt with there told me the service was still active. She cancelled it retroactive to the date their equipment was returned.
post #518 of 536 Old 09-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

So much for great Signature service. Called today to find out why I'm getting a bill for Sept-Oct service when I cancelled everything on 8/24 and returned the equipment same day.
After waiting on hold for several minuted, idiot tells me not to worry, don't pay it and the credits I'm due will show up on the next statement. Went into the Chat online and the person I dealt with there told me the service was still active. She cancelled it retroactive to the date their equipment was returned.
login to http://myservices.timewarnercable.com to confirm. It'll give u your current status and show any credits due. The login is usually active for 30-45 days after your final statement is mailed to you.
post #519 of 536 Old 09-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post

login to http://myservices.timewarnercable.com to confirm. It'll give u your current status and show any credits due. The login is usually active for 30-45 days after your final statement is mailed to you.
Yes, that's where I found the statement. Now they have a disconnect appt scheduled.
post #520 of 536 Old 09-04-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Again, yet another reason not to deal with them. The sheer incompetence. However, to be fair, that is the way of the world today in big business.
vbinnc likes this.

post #521 of 536 Old 12-05-2013, 05:25 AM

Time Warner Cable (NYSE: TWC) will deploy video gateways later this year that will contain a DVR with six tuners and 1 terabyte of storage, COO Rob Marcus said Thursday (08/02/12) on the company's second-quarter earnings call. Time Warner Cable didn't name the set-top vendors that will supply it with gateways and IP set-tops. The gateway device it described is similar to the X1 gateway manufactured by Pace (LSE: PIC) that Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA) has deployed in Boston and Atlanta. Arris (Nasdaq: ARRS) is supplying MSOs with video gateway devices, and Cisco (Nasdaq: CSCO) and Motorola Mobility have also developed video gateways for their cable customers.

This TWC system still hasn't lauched. I have talked to several Signature Home representatives, but I seem to know more about this product than they do.

This seems a lot like the capacities available TODAY in the TiVo Roamio Plus HD Digital Video Recorder and Streaming Media Player, but of course that would be too good to be true. I’m thinking of jumping hardware bandwagons to TiVo, but I am concerned a bit about being late to that party and having the world move to video gateways and IP connected TVs and other devices. I am also about Apple TV, Google TV and Roku etc. getting access to regular network TV shows and having the direction head that way. It looks like my break-even point for a TiVo Roamio Plus HD Digital Video Recorder and Streaming Media Player, a TiVo Mini and Lifetime service for both of them is about 24 months.

What do you guys think?
post #522 of 536 Old 12-05-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmcruise View Post

Time Warner Cable (NYSE: TWC) will deploy video gateways later this year that will contain a DVR with six tuners and 1 terabyte of storage, COO Rob Marcus said Thursday (08/02/12) on the company's second-quarter earnings call. Time Warner Cable didn't name the set-top vendors that will supply it with gateways and IP set-tops. The gateway device it described is similar to the X1 gateway manufactured by Pace (LSE: PIC) that Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA) has deployed in Boston and Atlanta. Arris (Nasdaq: ARRS) is supplying MSOs with video gateway devices, and Cisco (Nasdaq: CSCO) and Motorola Mobility have also developed video gateways for their cable customers.

This TWC system still hasn't lauched. I have talked to several Signature Home representatives, but I seem to know more about this product than they do.

This seems a lot like the capacities available TODAY in the TiVo Roamio Plus HD Digital Video Recorder and Streaming Media Player, but of course that would be too good to be true. I’m thinking of jumping hardware bandwagons to TiVo, but I am concerned a bit about being late to that party and having the world move to video gateways and IP connected TVs and other devices. I am also about Apple TV, Google TV and Roku etc. getting access to regular network TV shows and having the direction head that way. It looks like my break-even point for a TiVo Roamio Plus HD Digital Video Recorder and Streaming Media Player, a TiVo Mini and Lifetime service for both of them is about 24 months.

What do you guys think?

Breakeven point is much shorter with DIY Whole house DVR. Our 12 tuner, whole house DVR serving 6 TV's paid it self off in a year, when compared to the cost of renting DVR's and boxes from Verizon.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #523 of 536 Old 12-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

I have a Roamio Pro and three MINIs. The break even for me is about 2 years. So far my switch from Signature Home to TiVo has been a very good one. It certainly isn't perfect but my wife is very happy and isn't that the whole point?

Rodney
post #524 of 536 Old 12-11-2013, 02:41 AM

I found this on Fierce Cable: http://www.fiercecable.com/story/marcus-twc-tv-launch-sixth-platform/2013-12-09

Time Warner Cable (NYSE: TWC) will soon announce the launch of its TWC TV application on a sixth IP video platform, COO Rob Marcus said Monday at the UBS Global Media and Communications Conference in New York.

While Marcus wouldn't name the new devices that will support TWC TV, which lets subscribers stream programming on mobile devices, Roku set-tops and other IP-connected devices, one potential candidate is Google's (Nasdaq: GOOG) new Chromecast device. Google began supporting the HBO Go app on Chromecast in November. Outgoing TWC CEO Glenn Britt said in June that Time Warner Cable was also talking to Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), which already lets cable subscribers access HBO Go and WatchESPN on its Apple TV set-tops.

TWC also offers access to its subscription video programming through Microsoft's (Nasdaq: MSFT) Xbox 360, Apple's iPhone and iPad, connected TVs from Samsung and Google Android devices.

TWC stock has surged in recent weeks on speculation that it is an acquisition target for other cable MSOs, including Charter Communications (Nasdaq: CHTR), Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA) and Cox Communications. Marcus kicked off his UBS presentation by noting that TWC would only strike a deal to sell its business, or acquire another cable company, if it were able to strike a deal that "is 100 percent in the best interest of shareholders."

Time Warner Cable has been testing a six-tuner super DVR from Arris (Nasdaq: ARRS) and had said previously that it would begin deploying the new set-tops by the end of 2013. It appears that the nation's second largest MSO may not hit that initial deployment target date. "We're hoping to get that in front of a meaningful number of customers over the next year," Marcus said.

The six-tuner DVRs, which contain 1 terabyte of storage space, will run a next-generation program guide. TWC will also deploy "satellite boxes," or thin-client set-tops that subscribers will be able to install in multiple rooms, which will be linked to the super DVRs, Marcus said.

Marcus said TWC also plans to replace DOCSIS 2.0 modems in several markets with advanced wireless gateways based on the DOCSIS 3.0 standard. That effort, known internally as TWC Max, will allow it to offer faster broadband speeds, Marcus said.

"Over time, more and more markets become Max markets. We're going to have a real name for that. The marketing team is working on that. I've been calling it TWC Max - I like the sound of it," Marcus added.

TWC will also increase the amount of video-on-demand content that it will offer subscribers in 2014 to 75,000 hours, Marcus said.
post #525 of 536 Old 12-14-2013, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A little too late... I dumped them and pretty much watch no TV anymore. Not missing much and finding I can easily live without it.

post #526 of 536 Old 02-07-2014, 06:44 AM

I hear the video gateway product won't be available in Waco until 4Q-2014.
post #527 of 536 Old 07-03-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

This is my experience with Time Warner Cable, although not with Signature level of service. We are switching from FiOS (temporarily, until we become "new customers" to Verizon) to TWC.

Ordered triple play with CableCARD and phone port on 6/12 for 7/2 installation. I am using my own modem from when we had TWC before.

1) 2 techs arrive. I ask them not to wear their boots in the house. One puts the little booties on, the other ignores the request.

2) Asks me "How many TV's are we connecting today?" I told him, none. I ordered a cableCard and it is going into the tuner in the basement. His answer: "I don't have a CableCard. Where do you want the box?" I told him to open the back of the box and take the cableCard out. Both stare at me as if I were from another planet. Calls someone to bring a CableCard. I tell them, they will need a tuning adapter too, for the CableCARD to work, since TWC uses SDV. Again, look at me if I were an alien from another planet. Relays the message.

3) Begins installation with his modem. I tell them, I am not renting a modem, I have my own. One states that I "have to use theirs for the phone" I tell him that was not what I signed up for. Calls base again. They tell them to daisy chain the DTA off my modem. Get CSR to confirm that I will not be charged rental fee if I only use DTA portion of their modem.

4) Supervisor and a sidekick arrive with a CableCARD, no Tuning Adapter. I tell them it is not going to work. They call base. Office tells them that I will have to order TA, since they don't have one. Hands me the CableCARD. They are not going to install it, because the device is not connected a TV (We have Ceton InifniTV6 ETH, connected to the network). I explain that TV signal is decrypted inside and offloaded on the network. Once again, I now have 8 eyes staring at me as if I were an alien from another planet.

5) Phone port is not going through. Something with LATA issue. Works fine with FiOS, but they can't port it. Tells me SOL. They have to leave for another job.

6) Call Time Warner. List my issues.

They had since 6/12 to provision the TA, but failed to do so.
They did not give techs CableCARD even though order was clearly for CableCARD install.
I have a CableCARD that has not been provisioned or activated.
They had since 6/12 to figure out the port from Verizon.

7) CSR says the job is not closed, she can't do anything. She will call back when it is closed.

8) Calls about 3 hours later that the job has been closed. She is ordering the TA, sent the "HIT" for the CableCARD (even though it is still useless without the TA), but can't port the number

I have to give the Tech support person credit, she did try. Ended up giving us 1 month service credit.

No wonder TWC is up for sale. They don't know their head from their behind.

All I keep saying to my self, we only have to stay with them for 90 days, just 90 days. Luckily it is summer, so we won't be home, much.

post #528 of 536 Old 07-03-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting experience - about what I would expect to be honest. I always just go to the service center and do a self install. Much less painful.

I would not get in bed with them on the phone - I just got out of it. Short-term they will give you a good price, but longer term they will leverage it against you.

Go with Ooma.

xnappo
post #529 of 536 Old 07-03-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I concur with xnappo. Blueiedgod - your experience echoes mine of the past. The problem with self install xnappo is in my division the basically require a truck roll even though it's in clear violation of FCC rules. I did sign back up with a similar system as blueeiedgod after a win back offer by TWC which I foolishly accepted. The ensuing debacle had my once again cancel all services except Internet (no other option here). I ended up having to return the Ceton tuner and Echo because they just couldn't make it work and I was tired of dealing with them. I've been cable and phone free for awhile now and don't miss it at all. I will also vouch for Ooma. It's hands down the best VoIP service available for the money.

post #530 of 536 Old 07-03-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I think cable card is just so rare, nobody knows what to do. They should of course, but they don't. My tech, although clueless, was pleasant and eager to learn. By the end of the install, I'd convinced him to try WMC as well. I had already picked up my card and TA from the local office and was only waiting for them to re-connect me outside the house. The last guy who installed DirecTV years before actually cut my incoming coax from Charter. I was ready to wring his neck.

I've got Ooma too. I think mine is about $3/month and works fine. Verizon port was way more complicated than it should have been, but eventually worked out.
post #531 of 536 Old 07-07-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
Interesting experience - about what I would expect to be honest. I always just go to the service center and do a self install. Much less painful.

I would not get in bed with them on the phone - I just got out of it. Short-term they will give you a good price, but longer term they will leverage it against you.

Go with Ooma.

xnappo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post
Yes, I concur with xnappo. Blueiedgod - your experience echoes mine of the past. The problem with self install xnappo is in my division the basically require a truck roll even though it's in clear violation of FCC rules. I did sign back up with a similar system as blueeiedgod after a win back offer by TWC which I foolishly accepted. The ensuing debacle had my once again cancel all services except Internet (no other option here). I ended up having to return the Ceton tuner and Echo because they just couldn't make it work and I was tired of dealing with them. I've been cable and phone free for awhile now and don't miss it at all. I will also vouch for Ooma. It's hands down the best VoIP service available for the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I think cable card is just so rare, nobody knows what to do. They should of course, but they don't. My tech, although clueless, was pleasant and eager to learn. By the end of the install, I'd convinced him to try WMC as well. I had already picked up my card and TA from the local office and was only waiting for them to re-connect me outside the house. The last guy who installed DirecTV years before actually cut my incoming coax from Charter. I was ready to wring his neck.

I've got Ooma too. I think mine is about $3/month and works fine. Verizon port was way more complicated than it should have been, but eventually worked out.
My wife is one of those people who have to have a land line.

I just ported the number to TracFone with the plans to port it to Google Voice.

With Google Voice, we can forward calls to any phone, landline or cell. This way, we are not at the mercy of the provider being able to port the number, or not. We are own port, from now on, as long as Google supports Google Voice.

post #532 of 536 Old 07-07-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
My wife is one of those people who have to have a land line.
Not sure what you mean, there is very little difference between TWC home phone and Ooma. 911 concerns?

xnappo
post #533 of 536 Old 07-08-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
Not sure what you mean, there is very little difference between TWC home phone and Ooma. 911 concerns?

xnappo

We are on the 3 Mbps plan with TWC, not sure if there is enough bandwidth for 3rd party VOIP. We had Vonage years ago, when we had Adlephia. When TWC took over, they really crippled the network, and we could not use Vonage reliably at all. Vonage blamed TWC, TWC blamed Vonage.

We also have friends with Oooma, and they are on TWC internet, as well. Sometimes they sound like they are in a tin can.

Besides, we have to have triple play to qualify for the Visa gift card promotion, and the cost difference of the double play vs triple play in a packaged deal is negligible.

post #534 of 536 Old 07-10-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

One week update: Still not Tuning Adapter. i.e. no TV. Called TWC, they just shipped it yesterday!

Finally got the number ported to Tracfone, yesterday. Just initiated port to Google Voice this morning.

Conclusion: 1 week after getting service from TWC, we neither have the phone nor TV working.

Good thing they gave us a month free, otherwise, I would have been really pissed.

post #535 of 536 Old 07-14-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Update:

Tuning adapter arrived on Saturday. I plug it in, the light is blinking, not turning solid. Call TWC CableCARD support. They try all sorts of things. Going through the TA settings I notice that it is set to B'Cast only. The rep on the phone asks me what is the originating address for the package. It was shipped from Syracuse NY, I am in the suburb of Buffalo, NY.

Looks like they provisioned the TA for Syracuse TWC, not Buffalo/Niagara TWC.

This is after 2 hours on the phone with TWC rep who was very patient and knowledgeable (knew about Ceton, and WMC).

They could not program it remotely on Saturday. He will be calling later on Monday to go through remote programming. If that doesn't work, I will have to return it to the store, and they will send another TA. But, they don't have them in stores.

This is ridiculous, they have CableCARDs in stores but not the TA's that are needed to make the CableCARD to work?

This Wednesday it will be 2 weeks since we switched over and still not TV!

post #536 of 536 Old 07-23-2014, 12:14 PM

I have Signature home and they advertise 10GB of storage for emails in NYC, rep confirmed this. I'm only getting 2GB. Talked to customer service and they can't fix it. Is anyone else with Signature home getting 10GB of storage?
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page