post #31 of 539 Old 06-07-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hardin View Post

For what it's worth, I have Sig Home in the Central NY area. Everything is working well, although I am only getting about 16 mbps down on wideband (wireless connection). Apart from this somewhat disappointing speed, my Ubee modem/router has been totally reliable for the last four months.

Welcome Larry! What is your hardline speed? I was clocking between 40-50 over my wireless with the Motorola modem. Is your wireless device b/g or n capable? If you have a wireless B it would explain your slow speeds. Have you discussed the issue with Time Warner?

I'm glad you have a reliable connection and have not had the issues I'm having. However, I may have fixed the issue on my own by tweaking the modem settings. I will posted what I did here after a little while of usage to confirm it indeed did correct the dropping problem.

When the Motorola is up and running, I prefer it to the uBee - while the uBee had more user friendly menus & setup, the Motorola has much better wireless range. I would lose my wireless connection at the far end of the house with the uBee, the Motorola gives me full bars wherever I got in the home.

I'm hopeful more Sig Home users will find this thread and contribute information. Everything is helpful - problems & solutions, new features, tip & tricks - different equipment information from location to location (division). So, please keep any info coming and if you know other Sig Home users, refer them here for discussion!

UPDATE:

Well, after changing some settings and getting a more reliable connection while multi-tasking I have come to the conclusion that the modems Time Warner issues are CRAP! Another lost connection tonight on my LAN connected PC and only that PC. The modem keeps dropping the DNS and locking up my network adapter. I can only fix this by resetting the adapter in the computer. Outside of my issues there, I now have a connectivity issue with my phone where I have to reset the IP on that device too in order to get a Wi-Fi connection. This issue is now isolated down to the modems as they have replaced my drop and pro - grade amp with their equipment. According to them, the modem isn't going out - which they won't see because the actual Internet connection is still there, but the modem drops the LAN connection. There is no other reason for these problems other than faulty hardware. This is getting stale fast and there is no decent alternative. I found two better gateway devices, but can't get them. On top of that, the lead Sig Home tech was back out Wednesday and I went over a few options with him with the modem settings showing him what I did to fix the slow down problem where the connection dropped out when to many requests were made (IP Flooding). He was nice enough to give me his personal number to report problems too and said a supervisor would be getting in touch with me, as well as getting this new drop buried. Well, the supervisor never called me and the drop is still running across my yard. If this is Signature "White Glove" Service they have a way to go. I'm still willing to work with them, but my Internet portion of my bill should remain credited until they fix the problem.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 539 Old 06-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I see they're really pushing whole house DVR now with TV ads.....if it doesn't work any better than what you're getting with your Signature service it sounds like waiting a good 6 months for them to implement a better feature set is called for.
post #33 of 539 Old 06-15-2011, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

I see they're really pushing whole house DVR now with TV ads.....if it doesn't work any better than what you're getting with your Signature service it sounds like waiting a good 6 months for them to implement a better feature set is called for.

Actually the Whole Home DVR works great minus some features that should be added - most notably is Series Management for each unit. However, they did add the ability to delete remotely - IE: if I finish watching a show in the bedroom that is stored on the Living Room, I can now delete it if I want to in the bedroom. What I mean by Series management is that I want to be able to see my scheduled list and series manager for each unit in one list regardless of which unit I happen to be on. I would also like to see some distinction in the list as to which unit the show resides on.

Ideally, they will make the units so they show up as one cohesive unit where they function as one. Then you would have four (of more) available tuners for conflict, the recording space used would be for the whole network and not each unit and as stated above, the series management would be seamless.

The Whole Home is the best thing about Signature Home because I've had so may Wideband issues. I have been waiting to comment more on that simply because I want to have it longer to gauge performance. I will say that I'm on my fourth modem (back to a uBee) and after discussing options with a division supervisor and actually giving them some solutions, it has been working well since Monday when I put it in. That said, a firmware update is planned within the next few weeks to tweak some things, so I will continue updating on it as time goes by. When the Wideband connection is stable, it screams. I get consistent speed (not PowerBoosted) and Tuesday I downloaded a 12GB file in a few minutes. Hopefully, the issue is resolved.

Bottom line is that if you are in a Triple Play and want to add Whole Home DVR then Sig Home is a far better value (unless you are under some promotional plan). Triple Play at regular price with Whole Home would be approximately $175 for me. Sig Home is $200 and adds Wideband plus some other options. Whole Home is $20 plus equipment. Wideband Internet on it's own is $99.

post #34 of 539 Old 06-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Actually the Whole Home DVR works great minus some features that should be added - most notably is Series Management for each unit. However, they did add the ability to delete remotely - IE: if I finish watching a show in the bedroom that is stored on the Living Room, I can now delete it if I want to in the bedroom. What I mean by Series management is that I want to be able to see my scheduled list and series manager for each unit in one list regardless of which unit I happen to be on. I would also like to see some distinction in the list as to which unit the show resides on.

I pretty much agree with everything you say here. I do like the Whole Home DVR. We in Manhattan don't yet have the remote delete function you mention, but hopefully soon.

-barry
post #35 of 539 Old 06-16-2011, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margoba View Post

I pretty much agree with everything you say here. I do like the Whole Home DVR. We in Manhattan don't yet have the remote delete function you mention, but hopefully soon.

-barry

It should come with Navigator 4.1 and hopefully subsequent versions will bring the functionality I mention.

post #36 of 539 Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Ben for what it's worth, I have 50/5 Wideband and I drop IP 4-5 times a day for no reason. My work gives me the option to work at home but I can't because I lose VPN. It's so frustrating, I've had several visits as well.
post #37 of 539 Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamster View Post

Hey Ben for what it's worth, I have 50/5 Wideband and I drop IP 4-5 times a day for no reason. My work gives me the option to work at home but I can't because I lose VPN. It's so frustrating, I've had several visits as well.

Did you disable the IP Flood Control? Also, I spoke with the area supervisor again today (he gave me his phone number so I don't have to go through the CSR's) and he confirms a firmware update is forthcoming. I replaced a Motorola with another uBee modem on Monday and have not witnessed any dropped connections. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, but if it did I wasn't around at the time.

post #38 of 539 Old 06-16-2011, 07:21 PM

I am glad you guys are doing the beta testing for TW. I live in western NY and seriously considered Signature Home because of the 50/5 wideband. I think I will wait until you guys think the bugs are worked out.
Bernie
post #39 of 539 Old 06-16-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hopefully, this firmware update fixes it. Again tonight, I installed my Windoes updates and after reboot - no internet connection. I had to once again disable the adapter and then re-enable it.

post #40 of 539 Old 06-16-2011, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Hopefully, this firmware update fixes it. Again tonight, I installed my Windows updates and after reboot - no Internet connection. I had to once again disable the adapter and then re-enable it.

Ben,

Is this firmware update coming from U-Bee, or from Windows Update, or from TWC? Is it something that users will have control over it, or is it something that is just going to be pushed out automatically through the network?

Jack

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

post #41 of 539 Old 06-17-2011, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is coming from uBee. I am being told the script is done and it's being made ready for release. It will be a behind the scenes update. They are going to send it from the headend.

post #42 of 539 Old 06-17-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Did you disable the IP Flood Control? Also, I spoke with the area supervisor again today (he gave me his phone number so I don't have to go through the CSR's) and he confirms a firmware update is forthcoming. I replaced a Motorola with another uBee modem on Monday and have not witnessed any dropped connections. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, but if it did I wasn't around at the time.
I have the Ubee in Bridge Mode, (let me know if you would like access to the full config options) so I think IP Flood would be disabled by default? If not I can go back, disable and then back to bridge mode.
post #43 of 539 Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

IP Flood is ENABLED by default and I'm betting the firmware will address that. I have already configured my router. My only real issue now is that everytime I boot my computer, I have to reset my network adapter. I always lose my connection on reboot of my LAN connected PC.

post #44 of 539 Old 06-17-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
IP Flood is ENABLED by default and I'm betting the firmware will address that. I have already configured my router. My only real issue now is that everytime I boot my computer, I have to reset my network adapter. I always lose my connection on reboot of my LAN connected PC.
Any idea when it will be pushed?
post #45 of 539 Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The supervisor I talked to said it should be within the coming weeks, but who knows. I believe they are going to contact me before it goes out. I will update here once I know. However, I'll be upstate filming Star Trek Phase II over the next week, so I won't be around. Internet access is limited up there and there is no 3G, but I will keep posted via my forum app.

post #46 of 539 Old 06-19-2011, 10:56 AM

After zero dropouts on Friday, I have been experiencing drops on avg 2 per hour.
post #47 of 539 Old 06-19-2011, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm out of town and apparently the phone and Internet have been down all day. Just got a bill too and only see one credit. I'm going to be calling in and demanding full credit for the net or at least a months full credit. This is getting ridiculous and I know there is a firmware update coming but the service is still completely unreliable. My standard package was rock solid and if the firmware update doesn't fix this then I'm scrapping Sig Home.

post #48 of 539 Old 06-20-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, I'm out of town and apparently the phone and Internet have been down all day. Just got a bill too and only see one credit. I'm going to be calling in and demanding full credit for the net or at least a months full credit. This is getting ridiculous and I know there is a firmware update coming but the service is still completely unreliable. My standard package was rock solid and if the firmware update doesn't fix this then I'm scrapping Sig Home.
Good call Ben!

Make sure that you have a supervisor call you when the update is supposed to launch. I know that a lot of people aren't power-users like you are. In their cases, Flood Control might not make a difference. However, I think it's ridiculous that Signature Home, intended to be for the POWER user with all the extra features can't even provide a friggin reliable Internet connection. Or now, the fact that you have been forced to re-set the modem every time you reboot your computer.

If that update does not solve the problem, TOTALLY AGREE, Dump Signature Home and use your OWN Internet Connection stuff like in the past. TWC should have tested these modems better by re-creating power user situations in the labs for several months. It is clear, at least in your node, that they did not.

Jack

post #49 of 539 Old 06-21-2011, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well the supervisor called me back today after I left him a message stating my issue with the service and lack of credit for the outages. He authorized a $200 credit to the account for the month and is sending Daryl out to monitor the line because the are detecting issues. I explained my frustration and told him to please notify me as soon as the firmware update is pushed out. I truly want this issue to be resolved, but if they can't I standby my willingness to terminate/downgrade services.

post #50 of 539 Old 06-22-2011, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the supervisor called me back today after I left him a message stating my issue with the service and lack of credit for the outages. He authorized a $200 credit to the account for the month and is sending Daryl out to monitor the line because the are detecting issues. I explained my frustration and told him to please notify me as soon as the firmware update is pushed out. I truly want this issue to be resolved, but if they can't I standby my willingness to terminate/downgrade services.

Thanks Ben,

Ahhhh the BS saga continues with TWC. All this frustration just to be be able to have all the elements of the system up and working. Don't they test this equipment before it's pushed out? THEIR wide-band modem problems. (Notice I am putting all the blame on the equipment) are almost similar to Navigator's issues when it was pushed out concerning unreliability. All this cost-cutting business practices to save money becomes moot when the product they are pushing has not been tested and works some days and not others.

TWC needs to get away from these little overly happy pom-pom "Ohhhhh Ohhhhh Ohhhhhh, this is so cool! let's push this equipment out" half-assed salespeople. and get back to better standards of quality control. Sure Signature Home has given you better techs, but I will bet you're right, their wide-band modems are a POS.

I support your decision to reduce service if the update does not fix things. Funny that they are detecting issues now, but with the last four modems, the problems always happen within 3 days of a wide-band modem swap-out.

Jack

PS. You have been far more patient with this company than I think my family and I would be, if we had a similar set of circumstances.

post #51 of 539 Old 06-25-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, just a further update. Now I am losing both modems. The phone and Internet die simultaneously multiple times per day. No answers from Time Warner either other than the forthcoming firmware patch. However, that is for the uBee modem only. I have no idea why the Arris is suddenly dropping as well. At this time I would urge anyone even considering Signature Home to NOT GET IT!

The service is far too unreliable and had I known this would be the headache it is, I never would have "upgraded". I',m knee deep in it now and am going to wait out the firmware update, but I now believe there is a headend problem. Something with the headend just doesn't work well with the current crop of equipment. I am going to continue to demand full credit for at minimum, the Internet and phone as each has daily outages.

post #52 of 539 Old 06-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Do you know what exactly your upstream levels(TX) are on your modem? Or your telephony modem? If not I would ask to see if they are acceptable. Should not be higher than 52 preferably in the 40's. Get a number, don't just take someones word that signal is good. I am unfamiliar with that modem so I don't know how you could access the information yourself but usually it's 192.168.100.1.

I just don't see how it could be the signature home messing up your services other than a MoCA issue. If you had phone with them before then nothing has changed with the way it works whether signature or not. the fact you are losing them at the same time would lead me to believe it is a TX issue or an area issue that might be a pure coincidence with the signature home and the other issues you have had with it.

One more question, do you live in an area where temperatures have been unstable? Where I'm at one day it's 90 and the next we are lucky to get out of the 60's. This can sometimes lead to problems with the street equipment maintaining proper levels.

Again the problem of losing both modems does not sound like it could be caused by the signature home service, unless of course one of the new pieces of equipment not yet swapped could be backfeeding some form of interference back into your system. I would lean more towards the signal issues I mentioned above though.
post #53 of 539 Old 06-25-2011, 10:59 AM

I had problems a few years back and found out the wire to the computer was defective. When I replaced it everything worked normally
post #54 of 539 Old 06-25-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags View Post

Do you know what exactly your upstream levels(TX) are on your modem? Or your telephony modem? If not I would ask to see if they are acceptable. Should not be higher than 52 preferably in the 40's. Get a number, don't just take someones word that signal is good. I am unfamiliar with that modem so I don't know how you could access the information yourself but usually it's 192.168.100.1.

I just don't see how it could be the signature home messing up your services other than a MoCA issue. If you had phone with them before then nothing has changed with the way it works whether signature or not. the fact you are losing them at the same time would lead me to believe it is a TX issue or an area issue that might be a pure coincidence with the signature home and the other issues you have had with it.

One more question, do you live in an area where temperatures have been unstable? Where I'm at one day it's 90 and the next we are lucky to get out of the 60's. This can sometimes lead to problems with the street equipment maintaining proper levels.

Again the problem of losing both modems does not sound like it could be caused by the signature home service, unless of course one of the new pieces of equipment not yet swapped could be backfeeding some form of interference back into your system. I would lean more towards the signal issues I mentioned above though.

The levels are fine. They have been monitored and checked recently. The weather is consistent and for the past 5 years before the "upgrade" to Sig Home everything was fine. Ever since the modem swaps with Sig Home there have been nothing but problems. The phone issues started after they swapped out my equipment with theirs - a 15db amp pushing through a splitter whereas I had a high end distribution block. I will probably re-install my unit and further test.

I am pushing them to get me one gateway device to replace the multiple items there now. If you follow the thread from the start, you can see what has been done up to this point.

A side note is that the MoCa is the only thing actually working like it should!

post #55 of 539 Old 06-25-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The levels are fine. They have been monitored and checked recently. The weather is consistent and for the past 5 years before the "upgrade" to Sig Home everything was fine. Ever since the modem swaps with Sig Home there have been nothing but problems. The phone issues started after they swapped out my equipment with theirs - a 15db amp pushing through a splitter whereas I had a high end distribution block. I will probably re-install my unit and further test.

I am pushing them to get me one gateway device to replace the multiple items there now. If you follow the thread from the start, you can see what has been done up to this point.

A side note is that the MoCa is the only thing actually working like it should!

Sure sounds like their equipment f-e'd up everything and that splitter is making things even worse! You need one gateway that goes directly to the tap for everything. I would keep demanding FULL Internet/Phone monthly credits until this is resolved. It's got to be their equipment and/or a head-end issue.

Ben, what are your signal levels in Diags when everything is working? Is there a way you can do a signal check when Internet/phone are down, and print that out to give to your PSA? Were their any optional Windows Updates available for you on your modem or router? Can you check Windows Update and Optional just to see? if there is a patch, I mean before this new patch is pushed out, maybe other customers are having the same problem, and even TWC may not know about it because many people don't install optional Windows updates. If you find optional updates under Windows Update and/or U-Bee's website let us know.

I still say it is their equipment, but it could still be an outdated driver or something. Are you on Windows XP, Windows 7, or Windows Vista? I would check optional Windows Updates and U-Bee's website updates. At this point, with all you have been through it couldn't hurt to install any applicable updates that may be listed as optional. What's showing for optional updates at MS Windows Update for hardware, software, and driver patches, and at U-Bee for your modem?

What are the makes and model numbers for your Phone modem, your Internet Modem, and wireless router/adapters?

Jack

post #56 of 539 Old 06-25-2011, 08:43 PM

Providing a customer with faster Internet speeds should have no bearing on whether or not your phone works. Did you have the same or relatively the same phone modem prior to the upgrade? If so I highly doubt it would be the head end that is causing compatabiity issues with the phone modem as they really wouldn't have changed anything on the phone side to prepare for signature home. I think this problem of the modems going down at the same time is a separate newer issue. Just my opinion.

Now I know you have said your signals are "fine" but I've yet to see any actual numbers or readings as to what they are. This would be information that I would have asked the tech while onsite, so I could compare it at various points of the day or week. With all the problems you've had so far, I would be hard pressed to take someones word that my signal is fine. The information I would ask for is : what signal are my modems receiving(RX) , what are they transmitting at(TX) and what are my upstream and downstream signal to noise ratios.

From the symptoms you have stated and all the rewiring and equipment replacement that has been done I still think it is either that amp that was put in or a signal issue that has not been properly addressed. The signal issue may be out at the street level ,a node issue or due to wire configuration in the home. Without knowing exactly what signal you have means you only know if it's working or not, not knowing if the signals are fluctuating or not or if you are on the very edge of being good/bad. Knowing this information would be beneficial even if it isn't the root of your problem.

Again just trying to help based on my experience with this stuff. I work in a system with whole home , phone service and docsis 3.0 speeds and most of the problems I see are signal related and mostly due to high TX levels at the equipment or on the street to begin with.
post #57 of 539 Old 06-26-2011, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags View Post

Providing a customer with faster Internet speeds should have no bearing on whether or not your phone works. Did you have the same or relatively the same phone modem prior to the upgrade? If so I highly doubt it would be the head end that is causing compatibility issues with the phone modem as they really wouldn't have changed anything on the phone side to prepare for signature home. I think this problem of the modems going down at the same time is a separate newer issue. Just my opinion.

Now I know you have said your signals are "fine" but I've yet to see any actual numbers or readings as to what they are. This would be information that I would have asked the tech while onsite, so I could compare it at various points of the day or week. With all the problems you've had so far, I would be hard pressed to take someones word that my signal is fine. The information I would ask for is : what signal are my modems receiving(RX) , what are they transmitting at(TX) and what are my upstream and downstream signal to noise ratios.

From the symptoms you have stated and all the rewiring and equipment replacement that has been done I still think it is either that amp that was put in or a signal issue that has not been properly addressed. The signal issue may be out at the street level ,a node issue or due to wire configuration in the home. Without knowing exactly what signal you have means you only know if it's working or not, not knowing if the signals are fluctuating or not or if you are on the very edge of being good/bad. Knowing this information would be beneficial even if it isn't the root of your problem.

Again just trying to help based on my experience with this stuff. I work in a system with whole home , phone service and docsis 3.0 speeds and most of the problems I see are signal related and mostly due to high TX levels at the equipment or on the street to begin with.

Thanks for the assistance,

But that would bring up a question that I have, and I am sure Ben does as well. Why would Ben's phone and Internet Connection work absolutely flawlessly for five years, using his own equipment?(i.e routers, modems, adapters.) Than TWC comes along with their rented Signature Home Equipment, or just say, rented equipment and Ben is getting unreliable connections ever since TWC brought in their equipment?

There has to be something with TWC's rented phone and wireless routers that is causing:

Ben's connection to begin dropping out on alternating days.
Getting worse to Ben's connection dropping out several times a day
Getting to a worst level where he keeps losing his Internet connection and has to reset the modem every time he boots his computer.

There has to be some major puzzle flaw as to why Ben can have flawless service for five years, using his own equipment for Road Runner with Road Runner Standard. Than TWC rented modem and router is installed and its been a Titanic disaster for him.

This is probably a stupid observation, but could he have crap in his lines from being so old that they can't handle the wide-band technology? That's strange, because TWC replaced the drop. So something is very, very wrong. And whenever his PSA agent comes out and gets everything working, it's not holding. I don't think that aging wire would be an issue within itself, because that line has been replaced, correct Ben? He's been through level three techs, supervisor techs, their supervisors for $200 a month, and they can't get the GD thing working consistently.

There's just no way that he should be having these kinds of frustrating experiences, going from perfect service with his own equipment to drop outs and modem resets several times a day ever since moving to TWC's renting equipment through the Signature Home Program.

I don't mean to sound harsh or anything like that, but I have to feel Ben's pain and frustration for the past month with these problems and no solutions. I mean, what are the next steps to get this resolved and keep it resolved? I mean does he have to have a tech moving in for two weeks to watch when his Internet/Phone goes out for the 50th time in 30 days to diagnose the problem and fix this?

This has been awful for him.

Jack

post #58 of 539 Old 06-26-2011, 06:48 AM

I know exactly what you are saying as far as his service working fine before sig home was put in. However when it was put in I am sure that some reconfiguration of the lines was done in order for the MoCA network to function properly. Doing this can sometimes push the other equipment ,that had been working fine before, to a signal level that is just on the brink of being good/bad. This can cause dropouts when the signal levels fluctuate, which they will do. Without knowing the exact levels I'm just guessing but I have seen it all too many times.

I also mentioned some possible backfeed of interference from one of the newly installed pieces of equipment. It could be some sort of AC backfeed that builds up and knocks the modems out. Again just a guess not knowing the exacts of his home.

The main point I was trying to make is that his equipment has been swapped. They have found a fix for the ubee modem that is yet to roll out. Ip flooding was also causing some of his issue. But his phone service ,if he is using the same equipment as he was before, that should eliminate that the head end is not compatible with this "new" equipment, as it is not using wideband and is essentially the same exact phone service he had before sig home. Maybe a few extra features but on the tech side, exactly the same.

So when you have something(phone) that should not be affected by the switch to sig home and something that is waiting for an update(ubee) and they both go down at the same time ,I have to think it's some level of signal interference,whether it be low, high or AC interference,etc. If it was hardware or head end related it would affect every signature home customer they have and I don't see too many complaints here or anywhere else.

I know it would be easier to just say it is the sig home services fault but from what I've read in this thread and on other forums, I think this is an isolated issue(node,home,area) and not a fault of the signature home service itself on a national level. Just an opinion from my experience and knowledge of the cable industry form a tech standpoint. Without knowing the EXACT specifics(levels, splitter configuration), I cannot rule out a signal issue.
post #59 of 539 Old 06-27-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am going to pull signal levels today because I have time and because now my set top boxes are flaking out. Twice in the past two days I have had the Whole Home DVR lock up the box completely requiring a reboot. So, now, all three services are not working properly.

The Remote DVR Manager Service is also down again which was a system wide problem about two weeks ago.

I left a message at the area supervisors voicemail again yesterday and await a call back. I can definitely see where there amp/splitter combo is negatively affecting the levels whereas my zero return loss unit kept them at or close to what they came in at. However, they are still in "acceptable" range.

I agree that moving to Signature Home should NOT have mattered, but the only variable here is the equipment minus the Arris Telephony Modem. I have had that unit for 5 years (but it was previously hooked into my personal Cisco router).

The bottom line either way is I am paying TOP DOLLAR for a service that has been a complete disaster from the get go. I shouldn't have to troubleshoot it, THEY should. These problems have been ongoing now since the install date a month ago. THEY NEED TO BE FIXED!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #60 of 539 Old 06-27-2011, 01:56 PM

Nope I agree that it should be fixed and you shouldn't be troubleshooting it or paying top dollar if any dollar for it.

Although I am not that familiar with those screens you show but the signal does look good. The SNR at 34 is a little too low for my liking, but may be within their spec and what I assume is your TX at 36 is a bit on the low side as well. The RX signal at 0.0 is perfectly fine, almost too perfect at 0.0 and there are no errors. Although none of these would indicate the problems your having I would personally, as a tech, strive for better SNR and TX, especially after all the problems you've had.

I was hoping you would also have posted your modem levels seeing as those are the worst offenders, but I understand you are basically fed up. Your signal at the boxes is somewhat borderline except for the RX so I don't really know at this point.

If your modems are off a split before the splitter feeding this tv then the RX would be higher(OK) and the TX even lower(NOT SO GOOD)with possible SNR issues. If they are after that splitter then it could be SNR issues due to lower RX. Modems are more susceptible to SNR issues caused by a signal tilt(high on low end of spectrum and low on the high end) Hope that makes sense.

I understand your frustration and you have stuck with it longer than I would have. And to sum it up, while your levels aren't bad, they certainly aren't great. They are borderline to my companies spec , but could be well within TWC's. I will be interested in what the final outcome is, if you even keep it, and what they find is the issue causing all this mayhem. If you do stick it out you should win a medal for patience.

If you get any more info or have a tech out again ask him for specifics as far as SNR,TX and signal on the low end and high end. He should be using a meter that will give a bit info on the signal.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page