Time Warner Cable - Signature Home Service - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 537 Old 06-27-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Got a call from the supervisor today that they were monitoring some more and see issues on the modems again. One rep said firmware was rolled out this weekend, but not for my particular wideband modem. I will pull the modem settings and post those as well.

Cable Modem Downstream
DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4
Frequency 543000000 549000000 555000000 561000000
Lock Status Locked Locked Locked Locked
Channel Id 157 158 159 160
Modulation 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM
Symbol Rate
(Msym/sec) 5.360537 5.360537 5.360537 5.360537
Interleave Depth I=32
J=4 I=32
J=4 I=32
J=4 I=32
J=4
Power Level
(dBmV) -6.3 -6.4 -6.3 -6.8
RxMER
(dB) 39.40 39.40 38.80 39.10
Correctable
Codewords 219268 217140 152547 127810
Uncorrectable
Codewords 18312 20823 8700 6338

Cable Modem Upstream
US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4
Channel Type 1.1 N/A N/A N/A
Channel Id 2 N/A N/A N/A
Frequency
(HZ) 27900000 N/A N/A N/A
Ranging Status Success N/A N/A N/A
Modulation 16QAM N/A N/A N/A
Symbol Rate
(Ksym/sec) 2560 N/A N/A N/A
Mini-Slot Size 4 N/A N/A N/A
Power Level
(dBmV) 43.7 N/A N/A N/A
T1 Timeouts 0 N/A N/A N/A
T2 Timeouts 0 N/A N/A N/A
T3 Timeouts 429 N/A N/A N/A
T4 Timeouts 19 N/A N/A N/A

I can't get into the phone modem unless I wire an ethernet cable to it. Modem levels still look off to me, but I'm waiting on answers. I'm not into this as much as I should be right now because I have much more pressing issues to attend to at this time.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 537 Old 06-28-2011, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Got a call from the supervisor today that they were monitoring some more and see issues on the modems again. One rep said firmware was rolled out this weekend, but not for my particular wideband modem. I will pull the modem settings and post those as well.

Cable Modem Downstream
DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4
Frequency 543000000 549000000 555000000 561000000
Lock Status Locked Locked Locked Locked
Channel Id 157 158 159 160
Modulation 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM
Symbol Rate
(Msym/sec) 5.360537 5.360537 5.360537 5.360537
Interleave Depth I=32
J=4 I=32
J=4 I=32
J=4 I=32
J=4
Power Level
(dBmV) -6.3 -6.4 -6.3 -6.8
RxMER
(dB) 39.40 39.40 38.80 39.10
Correctable
Codewords 219268 217140 152547 127810
Uncorrectable
Codewords 18312 20823 8700 6338

Cable Modem Upstream
US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4
Channel Type 1.1 N/A N/A N/A
Channel Id 2 N/A N/A N/A
Frequency
(HZ) 27900000 N/A N/A N/A
Ranging Status Success N/A N/A N/A
Modulation 16QAM N/A N/A N/A
Symbol Rate
(Ksym/sec) 2560 N/A N/A N/A
Mini-Slot Size 4 N/A N/A N/A
Power Level
(dBmV) 43.7 N/A N/A N/A
T1 Timeouts 0 N/A N/A N/A
T2 Timeouts 0 N/A N/A N/A
T3 Timeouts 429 N/A N/A N/A
T4 Timeouts 19 N/A N/A N/A

I can't get into the phone modem unless I wire an ethernet cable to it. Modem levels still look off to me, but I'm waiting on answers. I'm not into this as much as I should be right now because I have much more pressing issues to attend to at this time.

Those levels actually look pretty good. Much better than I had thought after seeing the box levels. The only things that are off are the T3 and T4 timeouts. There are a lot of these and if they continue to increase at a steady rate, that may be a good place to start looking for the next techs. Timeouts can be caused by ingress either in the home or out on plant or a node issue. Again an outside or node issue would be more widely spread and hopefully more widely reported.

Unfortunately there would be easy no way for you to check this yourself so it looks like you will have to once again rely on TWC to try and fix it. You could still try swapping back to your old distribution panel but that's about it but you can pretty much eliminate that it's a simple signal level issue. Good luck and I appreciate you taking the time to post the levels just to make sure.
post #63 of 537 Old 06-28-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags View Post

Those levels actually look pretty good. Much better than I had thought after seeing the box levels. The only things that are off are the T3 and T4 timeouts. There are a lot of these and if they continue to increase at a steady rate, that may be a good place to start looking for the next techs. Timeouts can be caused by ingress either in the home or out on plant or a node issue. Again an outside or node issue would be more widely spread and hopefully more widely reported.

Unfortunately there would be easy no way for you to check this yourself so it looks like you will have to once again rely on TWC to try and fix it. You could still try swapping back to your old distribution panel but that's about it but you can pretty much eliminate that it's a simple signal level issue. Good luck and I appreciate you taking the time to post the levels just to make sure.

What would be causing the ingress in Ben's home or in his node? Could this be a foreign outside source? For instance, I recall a time where a computer tech teacher at a university for months they would get these power outages and loss of Internet service and the techs tried everything. To make a long story short, it turned out that squirrels had been nesting near the main node distribution module, and they would at random intervals chew on the installation of the cable wires, causing these drop-outs. I know that rodents and other animals have been known to screw up networking signals and transmission.

Note that I think this is NOT related to Ben's problem. I think there is some overlooked little thing that is causing this catastrophic crap. Something related to wiring in his home that was overlooked, something causing an impasse or blockage of some kind, OR something out in the street that is causing interference to the network. Or some initially very small installation error from years ago, where compensation was possible to correct whatever it was from Standard Service to Triple Play.

When the new Signature Home Services were put in, that error, intensified because it was left unchecked from the original install years ago. The new equipment and speeds did not permit the compensation from the original equipment, for whatever reason. (i.e perhaps some incompatibility issue in Ben's dwelling, or again something out in the street, where this different equipment was less forgiving.) Almost like a computer virus situation going from the lines, than to the modem for the wireless router, where it needed to be reset every other day, or on each computer reboot. Than it spread to Digital Phone, than it spread to the DVR and cable service.

Ben can you describe the type of home you have concerning the initial cable wiring, and do you remember when the original wiring was installed? How old is the wiring for the cable in your home? Where is your drop line? I am just wondering if they may need to do a rewiring of the home and a replacement of perhaps a head-end transformer or something on your street or in your node?

Thinking more and more this is some kind of residential wiring issue where something is crapping out from the original cable install, or something on the street related to your signal that needs to be replaced with new equipment in your neighborhood.

Just a theory.

However, I am convinced that the splitter is making things 10 times worse!

Jack

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

post #64 of 537 Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

What would be causing the ingress in Ben's home or in his node? Could this be a foreign outside source? For instance, I recall a time where a computer tech teacher at a university for months they would get these power outages and loss of Internet service and the techs tried everything. To make a long story short, it turned out that squirrels had been nesting near the main node distribution module, and they would at random intervals chew on the installation of the cable wires, causing these drop-outs. I know that rodents and other animals have been known to screw up networking signals and transmission.

Note that I think this is NOT related to Ben's problem. I think there is some overlooked little thing that is causing this catastrophic crap. Something related to wiring in his home that was overlooked, something causing an impasse or blockage of some kind, OR something out in the street that is causing interference to the network. Or some initially very small installation error from years ago, where compensation was possible to correct whatever it was from Standard Service to Triple Play.

When the new Signature Home Services were put in, that error, intensified because it was left unchecked from the original install years ago. The new equipment and speeds did not permit the compensation from the original equipment, for whatever reason. (i.e perhaps some incompatibility issue in Ben's dwelling, or again something out in the street, where this different equipment was less forgiving.) Almost like a computer virus situation going from the lines, than to the modem for the wireless router, where it needed to be reset every other day, or on each computer reboot. Than it spread to Digital Phone, than it spread to the DVR and cable service.

Ben can you describe the type of home you have concerning the initial cable wiring, and do you remember when the original wiring was installed? How old is the wiring for the cable in your home? Where is your drop line? I am just wondering if they may need to do a rewiring of the home and a replacement of perhaps a head-end transformer or something on your street or in your node?

Thinking more and more this is some kind of residential wiring issue where something is crapping out from the original cable install, or something on the street related to your signal that needs to be replaced with new equipment in your neighborhood.

Just a theory.

However, I am convinced that the splitter is making things 10 times worse!

Jack

Ingress can be caused by a million and one things...literally. Anything from a cut wire outside to a faulty household appliance and everything in between. It would be near impossible for a homeowner to troubleshoot without some sort of meter. I have seen tv sets cause ingress issues only when turned on. I have seen neighbors knock out nodes because something in their house is blasting ingress into the plant. There are just too many variables.

As far as being something from the original install, while possible ,it's probably unlikely in this situation. I believe they have done some rewiring and he had said previously that his phone worked fine for years. There would have been some hiccups along the way with his phone if it was a preexisting wire problem.

Cable problems do not spread like a PC virus. While water or chews , if left unfixed, can deteriorate the wires over time, phone, Internet and digital and HD cable are all very close if frequencies that a problem would usually pop up across the board. Not always but usually. Things don't just spread from one service to the other. The problems may go unnoticed (don't watch affected channels, don't use home phone often ,etc) but they are usually there. But I see what your getting at and again, while possible it seems unlikely.

Like i said , at this point it looks like he has to rely on TWC to figure it out. He has spent a lot of time on it already and his signals look passable, certainly not bad enough to cause his issues. IMO the problem lies seems like it is beyond simple troubleshooting and forum suggestions. Wish we could help more but it seems it is beyond anything that we could do outside of removing amp and adding distribution block back in.
post #65 of 537 Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just some info on why this may only affect me and not my neighbors. I am the only line coming from my tap and that drop is new to the demarc point (ground block). The Sig Home tech replaced the ground block as well and the cable then passes into my crawl which went to my video distribution block (which the non Sig Home Tech replaced with an 8 way splitter preceded by a 15db amp) From the distribution are 8 individual lines of RG-6 (from Time Warner) that run directly to each room in the home that has a cable outlet. The only other splitter in the line is the one the Sig Home tech installed at the wideband modem to split off from the telephony modem because they don't offer an all in one gateway device. The lines are less than 10 years old and were installed with the home when built around 2002.

I'm concerned now because my Whole Home was functioning flawlessly before the amp/splitter combo and since this weekend has failed. Twice the box locked up while viewing remote content to the point of a forced hard reboot.

Also, I the wideband modem still drops the DNS everytime I reboot my PC which requires a reset of the PC's network adapter to get it working again.

The saga continues....

post #66 of 537 Old 06-28-2011, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just some info on why this may only affect me and not my neighbors. I am the only line coming from my tap and that drop is new to the demarc point (ground block). The Sig Home tech replaced the ground block as well and the cable then passes into my crawl which went to my video distribution block (which the non Sig Home Tech replaced with an 8 way splitter preceded by a 15db amp) From the distribution are 8 individual lines of RG-6 (from Time Warner) that run directly to each room in the home that has a cable outlet. The only other splitter in the line is the one the Sig Home tech installed at the wideband modem to split off from the telephony modem because they don't offer an all in one gateway device. The lines are less than 10 years old and were installed with the home when built around 2002.

I'm concerned now because my Whole Home was functioning flawlessly before the amp/splitter combo and since this weekend has failed. Twice the box locked up while viewing remote content to the point of a forced hard reboot.

Also, I the wideband modem still drops the DNS everytime I reboot my PC which requires a reset of the PC's network adapter to get it working again.

The saga continues....

Ben,

When you speak to these supervisors are they giving you specific information about steps they are taking to solve the problem? Or is it just generic like, "Oh, we are sorry about your issues, Ben. We are working to fix the issues as soon as we can." When you give THEM feedback of all your issues, how do they respond? So what is the next step on their end for what they are going to do? Also when did you start getting the issue of having to reset the modem after every computer reboot? Make sure you keep pressing them for monthly credits and the U-Bee modem update, (supposed) hotfix.

Jack

post #67 of 537 Old 06-29-2011, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ben,

When you speak to these supervisors are they giving you specific information about steps they are taking to solve the problem? Or is it just generic like, "Oh, we are sorry about your issues, Ben. We are working to fix the issues as soon as we can." When you give THEM feedback of all your issues, how do they respond? So what is the next step on their end for what they are going to do? Also when did you start getting the issue of having to reset the modem after every computer reboot? Make sure you keep pressing them for monthly credits and the U-Bee modem update, (supposed) hotfix.

Jack

I traded messages with Kyle (the area supervisor) this week. While I was out of town he had Daryl monitor my tap outside and claims he had a wideband running off it for 8 hours with no issue. I wasn't here so I don't know, but my kids told me they saw the truck and a guy working outside that day, so Daryl was probably here checking something. Kyle wants to setup an appointment so Daryl can come in the house and check the line directly to the modem which we are arranging around my schedule. What he is going to check? I have no idea.

Again this morning I just got home from work to find my PC without a connection. A reset of the network adapter fixed the problem which is now a daily occurrence (multiple times).

At this point I am going to continue to request FULL Months credit until the issue is resolved or I downgrade service back to where I was with basic Triple Play. Something is up because I still have issues with the Whole Home locking up the DVR's when playing remote content now and that was fine until the other tech cut the original drop and replaced my distribution amp with the splitter. I haven't had time, but I intend to yank that mess of a splitter/amp combo out of there and re-connect my unit.

I want to ride this out and have a definite solution so I can pass it along to others, but at some point I have to be realistic and just sh*t can the whole setup because it's not worth the headache and wasted time.

post #68 of 537 Old 06-30-2011, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I traded messages with Kyle (the area supervisor) this week. While I was out of town he had Daryl monitor my tap outside and claims he had a wide-band running off it for 8 hours with no issue. I wasn't here so I don't know, but my kids told me they saw the truck and a guy working outside that day, so Daryl was probably here checking something. Kyle wants to setup an appointment so Daryl can come in the house and check the line directly to the modem which we are arranging around my schedule. What he is going to check? I have no idea.

Again this morning I just got home from work to find my PC without a connection. A reset of the network adapter fixed the problem which is now a daily occurrence (multiple times).

At this point I am going to continue to request FULL Months credit until the issue is resolved or I downgrade service back to where I was with basic Triple Play. Something is up because I still have issues with the Whole Home locking up the DVR's when playing remote content now and that was fine until the other tech cut the original drop and replaced my distribution amp with the splitter. I haven't had time, but I intend to yank that mess of a splitter/amp combo out of there and re-connect my unit.

I want to ride this out and have a definite solution so I can pass it along to others, but at some point I have to be realistic and just sh*t can the whole setup because it's not worth the headache and wasted time.

Ben,

I agree with everything you have said above. Good to try to see this thing through-but it goes without saying that your patience and time are wearing thin on this issue. If it were me, my patience would have worn out a while back.

Have them bring their signal meters for checking stuff in the house. A big recommendation that I would suggest, Reboot your computer when they are in the house so they can see how there is no connection at boot up. Than, have them run the signal test when there is no Internet connection just to see if there is a difference in the readings and if that can help with troubleshooting. They need to take a reading during the time when your connection is out so they can see first hand any fluctuation that might be occurring.

At least they have to get your connection always staying on at boot up. Than work from that point onward.

That would be the next big thing that you guys should do.

Jack

post #69 of 537 Old 06-30-2011, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

At this point I am going to continue to request FULL Months credit until the issue is resolved or I downgrade service back to where I was with basic Triple Play.

With all the futzing around they've done, even if you do downgrade back to Triple Play, who knows if THAT would even work right any more.

PS....the remote DVR manager has been sporadic for me over the last two weeks also - well since they got it working again after it was out for about 2 weeks straight - now it's "cross my fingers" every time I hit the web site that it'll pop up listings and not a timeout error.
post #70 of 537 Old 07-05-2011, 02:16 PM

Ben,

I happened across your posts while troubleshooting my problem. I'm having a very similar problem, and have been for 3 months or more. My modem loses its connection, and won't reconnect without a power cycle. My phones usually stay up, though.

We were on the Arris modem with RR Turbo when we started having the problem, and got frustrated with the tech who came out to our house saying 'Well, it's working now'. I asked them several times to replace the modem, thinking that was the problem, and finally thought that if I upgraded to Signature Home, it would force them to replace it. They brought the Ubee modem, but we still have the Arris modem running our phone.

My internet goes down every 2-5 days. I've had a dozen or more tech visits, and all my signal strength and noise levels are good - except that the connection is out.

I've checked the Ubee modem's event log and found some things like this:

Cable Modem Event Log
First Time Last Time Priority Description
Tue Jul 05 15:43:03 2011 Tue Jul 05 15:43:03 2011 Notice (6) Web user logged in from 192.168.0.4
Mon Jul 04 15:12:31 2011 Mon Jul 04 15:12:31 2011 Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.9;CM-MAC=c4:17:...
Mon Jul 04 15:12:31 2011 Mon Jul 04 15:12:31 2011 Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.8;CM-MAC=c4:17:...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Warning (5) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC...
Thu Jun 02 02:02:08 2011 Thu Jun 02 02:02:08 2011 Critical (3) Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC...
Thu Jun 02 01:22:03 2011 Thu Jun 02 01:22:03 2011 Critical (3) REG RSP not received;CM-MAC=c4:17:fe:e3:de:22;CMTS-MAC=00:01:...
Sat Jun 11 15:28:15 2011 Sat Jun 11 15:28:15 2011 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
Sat Jun 11 15:28:15 2011 Sat Jun 11 15:28:15 2011 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...
Sat Jun 11 15:25:43 2011 Sat Jun 11 15:25:43 2011 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC S...
Mon Jul 04 15:11:05 2011 Mon Jul 04 15:11:05 2011 Critical (3) No UCDs Received - Timeout;;CM-MAC=c4:17:fe:e3:de:22;CMTS-MAC...
Mon Jul 04 07:50:20 2011 Mon Jul 04 07:50:20 2011 Critical (3) Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries...
Mon Jul 04 07:50:20 2011 Mon Jul 04 07:50:20 2011 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=c4:17:fe:e3...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...

Are you seeing errors like this in your log?

Scott
post #71 of 537 Old 07-06-2011, 10:55 AM

One other thing I wanted to mention, is that the most recent tech told me that line surges from equipment on my home network could be causing it to drop. So, I've started paring down my network to see if I can eliminate the cause, if it's inside my house.

So far, I've removed a 5 port D-Link switch, unplugged a Lacie network hard drive, and disabled my streaming media server software 'SubSonic' on my Windows Home Server. I got an email from my ping monitor that my system went down about an hour ago. Farg.

Scott
post #72 of 537 Old 07-06-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had Daryl here today and he checked/monitored signal levels. They are still damn near perfect. He & I still think it's an equipment issue and has been all along. This problem is more widespread than is being reported. Tomorrow he is going to run a second temp drop for just the wideband & phone. This is at my request so we can isolate the modem and he agrees we should confirm it. I also am exploring the option of purchasing my own gateway modem from Cisco and having them activate it to eliminate their equipment. I really want the new Arris gateway, but apparently no one has them or it's not to market yet. As long as they issue credit until the issue is resolved, I'm willing to stick it out a bit longer. I really want to get to the bottom of this and solve the issue.

Another note is that according to logs, the modem is staying online. On their end it looks fine, but locally it drops the connection. I also show Daryl the DNS issue where the modem doesn't sync when wired PCs connect at boot. We are both pretty certain that the modems are the root cause of the problem.

ADD ON UPDATE: Well, with all the Internet issues I overlooked something else which now has me pissed off. Missed recordings and Series completely vanishing! Only because I happened to notice a Facebook post that Men of A Certain Age was the Season Finale tonight did I catch it. I only remember watching like two episodes and thinking what the hell, it's over already?!?!? So I check the manager and the series isn't there anymore! I don't know how many I missed, but hopefully it's in the VOD. Another massive flaw which I addressed earlier is the lack of a cohesive series manager. As I said would happen earlier, I'm finding duplicate shows because my wife is setting them to record in the Living Room and then not seeing them set to record in the bedroom, so she thinks the box missed it and sets it there as well. If this keeps up, I may drop the second DVR and simply get a client set top so all the recordings have to be on one unit.

post #73 of 537 Old 07-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemikalguy View Post

One other thing I wanted to mention, is that the most recent tech told me that line surges from equipment on my home network could be causing it to drop. So, I've started paring down my network to see if I can eliminate the cause, if it's inside my house.

So far, I've removed a 5 port D-Link switch, unplugged a Lacie network hard drive, and disabled my streaming media server software 'SubSonic' on my Windows Home Server. I got an email from my ping monitor that my system went down about an hour ago. Farg.

Scott

I think that tech is full of crap....you'd need some monster surges to have them propagate through your network and have the modem drop connection.
post #74 of 537 Old 07-06-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also am exploring the option of purchasing my own gateway modem from Cisco and having them activate it to eliminate their equipment. I really want the new Arris gateway, but apparently no one has them or it's not to market yet.

Ben,

I hope TWC will allow you to bring in your own equipment since this has been going on for so long in your situation? Did your PSA say that was OK? Did they say that other Signature Home Customers are having the same or similar problems as you?

Jack

PS. Oh yea, and what about the line-splitter that the one stupid tech, who was just a regular guy, who came out on a Sunday put in? Is TWC going to be able to fix that monstrosity?

post #75 of 537 Old 07-07-2011, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

I think that tech is full of crap....you'd need some monster surges to have them propagate through your network and have the modem drop connection.

Not quite - an improperly grounded line could pick up back feed or line spikes. This was something we checked yesterday and the line was clear. Unlikely, yes - but still possible.

Quote:

Ben,

I hope TWC will allow you to bring in your own equipment since this has been going on for so long in your situation? Did your PSA say that was OK? Did they say that other Signature Home Customers are having the same or similar problems as you?

Jack

PS. Oh yea, and what about the line-splitter that the one stupid tech, who was just a regular guy, who came out on a Sunday put in? Is TWC going to be able to fix that monstrosity?

Jack, I don't even deal with the "PSA"'s anymore. I have direct lines of communication with Daryl (he gave me his cell number) and his supervisor Kyle (direct access to his corporate line). Daryl is coming out to run a second drop from the tap directly to the modems so they are independent of the rest of the lines. It's a temp thing just to isolate the lines and what I suggested back when the non-Sig Home tech came out and cut my freakin' drop! If he just listened and ran the second drop while leaving the first alone this would have been confirmed over two weeks ago. TWC's splitter/amp combo is still in there and I'll probably swap it out when I install the new entrance panel in the crawl.

I hope to have an answer today about buying and using my own equipment. I am going to try and contact Arris directly, but I have had very good luck with Cisco products and use them almost exclusively in my installs, so I wouldn't have a problem using that (and it's readily available for purchase albeit around $200)

post #76 of 537 Old 07-07-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not quite - an improperly grounded line could pick up back feed or line spikes. This was something we checked yesterday and the line was clear. Unlikely, yes - but still possible.

Jack, I don't even deal with the "PSA"'s anymore. I have direct lines of communication with Daryl (he gave me his cell number) and his supervisor Kyle (direct access to his corporate line). Daryl is coming out to run a second drop from the tap directly to the modems so they are independent of the rest of the lines. It's a temp thing just to isolate the lines and what I suggested back when the non-Sig Home tech came out and cut my freakin' drop! If he just listened and ran the second drop while leaving the first alone this would have been confirmed over two weeks ago. TWC's splitter/amp combo is still in there and I'll probably swap it out when I install the new entrance panel in the crawl.

I hope to have an answer today about buying and using my own equipment. I am going to try and contact Arris directly, but I have had very good luck with Cisco products and use them almost exclusively in my installs, so I wouldn't have a problem using that (and it's readily available for purchase albeit around $200)

That's cool you have direct contact with them! Hope this gets resolved soon! It sounds like the three of you might be on the right track by isolating a line going right to the modems.

Jack

post #77 of 537 Old 07-07-2011, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's cool you have direct contact with them! Hope this gets resolved soon! It sounds like the three of you might be on the right track by isolating a line going right to the modems.

Jack

Well, I can tell Daryl did his thing today. I was sleeping because I worked nights, but I left my access panel unsecured for him to run a new drop and he did it right. He left plenty of slack (which the other guy didn't do) so I can move it around while I mow tomorrow - a pain yes, but at least we can now confirm with certainty that if the modem drops out that it is isolated unto the device itself. We still think this might not make a difference, but I (as well as he) agree it is a logical course of action. I just wish the non-Sig Home tech listened to me three weeks ago and did it then!

I can still at least confirm that the modem refuses to hold the DNS settings. I rebooted my LAN connected PC and still have to reset the adapter to re-acquire the DNS - EVERYTIME.

Anyway, it will now probably be about a week of testing/monitoring on my end to see how this affects performance.

As always, I'll continue to report.

post #78 of 537 Old 07-09-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I would ask for a CMTS report off Big Brother and find how the FEC/SNR on your node is doing in regard to the CMTS being used e.g Cisco,Motorola,Arris,etc..

Unerrored Corrected Uncorrectable

Cable5/0/0-upstream0 2347.60 (99.98%) 0.40 (0.02%) 0.00 (0.00%) 147.39 123 34.8
Cable5/0/0-upstream2 1797.98 (100.00%) 0.01 (0.00%) 0.00 (0.00%) 167.63 71 35.0 Cable5/0/0-upstream3 1753.26 (100.00%) 0.05 (0.00%) 0 (0.00%) 122.36 127 34.7

Should look like this..

Rob

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #79 of 537 Old 07-09-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, so far by putting the modems on their own drop I have yet to notice a dropped connection. The uBee device still drops the DNS on every boot up though. That said, it's only been a few days. I may lay some conduit out to the tap so the lines can be serviced and fished for future use and buried now. It's a PITA to have to keep moving the lines around.

I have also confirmed with Arris TG852 that the D3 Gateway I want is currently being qualified with Time Warner for deployment so I am hopeful that I can get one at some point down the road.

post #80 of 537 Old 07-09-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, so far by putting the modems on their own drop I have yet to notice a dropped connection. The uBee device still drops the DNS on every boot up though. That said, it's only been a few days. I may lay some conduit out to the tap so the lines can be serviced and fished for future use and buried now. It's a PITA to have to keep moving the lines around.

I have also confirmed with Arris TG852 that the D3 Gateway I want is currently being qualified with Time Warner for deployment so I am hopeful that I can get one at some point down the road.

Ben,

Good that (so far at least) isolating the modem has resulted in no drop for the connection! When did you first start getting the disconnect at boot-up on the U-Bee modem? Was it always like that, or was that on like your 3rd modem?

Did U-Bee's website or hardware updates in Windows show any modem updates for the U-Bee? That is still a PITA to have to reconnect at every boot up! Good that Arris may start deployment. But who knows how long that will be before they work out a deal?

Jack

post #81 of 537 Old 07-09-2011, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've been following Ben's troubles with his uBee modem. I have no insight to offer about his situation, although I can certainly feel his pain. It is clear to me, however, that his repeated dropped connections are not intrinsic to the uBee modem. I am in nearby Syracuse and have had Sig home since mid-February of this year. Except for about three power failures (thank you, National Grid), my modem has been on 24/7 and has not had a single dropped connection. My computer connections to the modem are entirely wireless. My only complaint is that I am rather far from the advertised speed, reliably getting about 15 mbps down and 4 mbps up. When I finally get the time, I plan to find out if there is a way to improve my down speed. I do recognize that I must take some sort of speed hit by virtue of the wireless connection. If anyone here has some comments on my situation I would certainly welcome them. Meanwhile, good luck, Ben!
post #82 of 537 Old 07-10-2011, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ben,

Good that (so far at least) isolating the modem has resulted in no drop for the connection! When did you first start getting the disconnect at boot-up on the U-Bee modem? Was it always like that, or was that on like your 3rd modem?

Did U-Bee's website or hardware updates in Windows show any modem updates for the U-Bee? That is still a PITA to have to reconnect at every boot up! Good that Arris may start deployment. But who knows how long that will be before they work out a deal?

Jack

The uBee has always been dropping my LAN connected PC's at boot. Also, if Time Warner is "qualifying" the Arris Gateway then they have them out somewhere testing them. I can't fathom that it's any worse than the uBee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hardin View Post

I've been following Ben's troubles with his uBee modem. I have no insight to offer about his situation, although I can certainly feel his pain. It is clear to me, however, that his repeated dropped connections are not intrinsic to the uBee modem. I am in nearby Syracuse and have had Sig home since mid-February of this year. Except for about three power failures (thank you, National Grid), my modem has been on 24/7 and has not had a single dropped connection. My computer connections to the modem are entirely wireless. My only complaint is that I am rather far from the advertised speed, reliably getting about 15 mbps down and 4 mbps up. When I finally get the time, I plan to find out if there is a way to improve my down speed. I do recognize that I must take some sort of speed hit by virtue of the wireless connection. If anyone here has some comments on my situation I would certainly welcome them. Meanwhile, good luck, Ben!

Larry, homw many devices are connected to your uBee? Also, it sounds like it's throttled way down and the Flood Control may be still active limiting your connection. I don't see the point of having Wideband Internet if you are only getting standard speeds? The only way your wireless should be hindering your speed is if you are using a wireless B adapter. I get full speed out of my laptops here.

If I get no dropped connections or phone loss I'll probably yank the other drop that was buried all wrong (under my flowerbed) and have Daryl run another drop mirroring the one he just did. I will purchase conduit and have it laid out for when the crew comes to bury it. I may still experiment with some things, like moving everything back to the drop Daryl just put in and testing that as well. I noticed he installed a brand new 2 gang tap replacing my old 4 gang tap.

So, if the connection issues are fixed that will be great. However, I still need a modem that holds the DNS. Possibly back to a Motorola? We shall see. I can for certain say the connection hasn't dropped, but I can say it hasn't while I've been using it.

post #83 of 537 Old 07-10-2011, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The uBee has always been dropping my LAN connected PC's at boot. Also, if Time Warner is "qualifying" the Arris Gateway then they have them out somewhere testing them. I can't fathom that it's any worse than the uBee.

Larry, homw many devices are connected to your uBee? Also, it sounds like it's throttled way down and the Flood Control may be still active limiting your connection. I don't see the point of having Wideband Internet if you are only getting standard speeds? The only way your wireless should be hindering your speed is if you are using a wireless B adapter. I get full speed out of my laptops here.

If I get no dropped connections or phone loss I'll probably yank the other drop that was buried all wrong (under my flowerbed) and have Daryl run another drop mirroring the one he just did. I will purchase conduit and have it laid out for when the crew comes to bury it. I may still experiment with some things, like moving everything back to the drop Daryl just put in and testing that as well. I noticed he installed a brand new 2 gang tap replacing my old 4 gang tap.

So, if the connection issues are fixed that will be great. However, I still need a modem that holds the DNS. Possibly back to a Motorola? We shall see. I can for certain say the connection hasn't dropped, but I can say it hasn't while I've been using it.

Ben,

So assuming that the connection holds, other than booting your computer when you need to reset the modem, we can start to think that, for whatever reason, the lines, or signals in the lines, with all devices going to the same drop were "overworked."

When you had the Motorola, did that hold connections on reboot?

Jack

post #84 of 537 Old 07-10-2011, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ben,

When you had the Motorola, did that hold connections on reboot?

Jack

So far as I can recall, that did. However, this whole mess has become a blur sometimes. If the connection stays stable, then obviously there is some other devices on the old drop causing some type of issue. I still plan to use this temp drop a little longer to confirm.

UPDATE:

Lost Internet overnight around 3AM. Put another call into Kyle at Time Warner informing him that the second drop helped matters with the daily outages, but the uBee modem is still not holding LAN connected devices (dropping DNS) and doesn't hold a connection to my mobile device (iPhone). As much as I love the Wideband speed, I'm considering moving back to my old standard package and dumping Sig Home unless they can offer me an alternative device (I have given them at least 3) that will work properly. I am going to do some re-wiring today and isolate even further. Hopefully Kyle calls back with some suggestion other than having Daryl come back out and check the signal again.

post #85 of 537 Old 07-22-2011, 07:29 AM

just a few suggestions, since you do have a a dedicated line to your modems. With D3 modems, make sure that the firewall and ip flooding is turned off. secondly i know this may be a long shot, have twc increase the number of clients in the router. I'm not sure if the tech checked out the other docsis qams but it is worth someone taking a look at it.
post #86 of 537 Old 07-22-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Lance View Post

just a few suggestions, since you do have a a dedicated line to your modems. With D3 modems, make sure that the firewall and ip flooding is turned off. secondly i know this may be a long shot, have twc increase the number of clients in the router. I'm not sure if the tech checked out the other docsis qams but it is worth someone taking a look at it.

Already been done (by me). My solution of the dedicated line seems to have fixed the constant drops. (Thanks to Daryl for listening and going with the suggestion after the first tech wouldn't) For testing purposes, I reconnected through the distribution block with the MoCa filters and it went haywire. Now, I still have connectivity issues with the uBee as in it won't hold connections to mobile devices (my iPhone) and it always drops the DNS on LAN connected computers after a reboot or power up. Those issues have to be with the device because it seems to hold the actual connection to the net. Problem is that the supervisor is on vacation until the end of the month, so I don't have an answer as to whats next. I have heard nothing on this supposed firmware update and I'm trying to get my own Gateway device anyway. Hopefully, I hear back as soon as he returns.

post #87 of 537 Old 07-22-2011, 11:00 AM

still, have u had twc increased the number of clients on the d3 modem? could also be a faulty power supply on the d3 modem. Ubee modems have horrible power supplies that go bad quite often.
post #88 of 537 Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Lance View Post

still, have u had twc increased the number of clients on the d3 modem? could also be a faulty power supply on the d3 modem. Ubee modems have horrible power supplies that go bad quite often.

Well, I'm waiting for the supervisor to get back from vacation, but this is my 3rd uBee modem. I may try to get another Motorola until such a time that the Arris become available or they let me get a Cisco Gateway. I'll update once I hear back, but I'm pretty sure Daryl addressed the number of clients issue already.

post #89 of 537 Old 07-22-2011, 03:25 PM

couple of shots in the dark without looking at it myself....are you sure they addressed the number of clients even after multiple modem swaps? I have seen routers with the max clients set at 4. Do your cordless phones run on 2.4ghz? If they do they could cause a problem with wi fi. Did they change the powersupply or did they just swap modems all three times(without changing ps). A bad PS will cause all sorts of problems. Are the IPs on your devices manually set or automatic? have you tried unplugging the phone modem, a bad phone modem can egress causing an issue. Have tier 3 verify the number of max clients. I know its a pretty long laundry list to check, but if all that STILL fails I would think that would be a line maintanance/headend issue. Too bad we can't see the Pre and Post BER on each qam. Hopefully they get the issue fixed for you.
post #90 of 537 Old 07-24-2011, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got a call last night from a TWC rep stating they pushed the firmware update to my modem. No noticeable difference with my LAN connected PC and it still drops the DNS on every boot requiring me to reset the adapter. Did notice a drastic speed boost on my mobile devices (was only getting around 3Mbps and now getting 15Mbps), but have yet to confirm the connection reliability. I will update as more usage occurs.

The LAN failures are a real pain because I constantly have to interact to regain my hardwired connection. I was really hoping this would be addressed.

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page