Time Warner Cable - Signature Home Service - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 534 Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Member
 
Larry Hardin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The very helpful Sig Home tech who came to my house a couple of days ago determined that my speed problem was due to some shortcomings with my Mac, now rather long in the tooth. One of them was that a faulty ethernet port obliged me to use a wireless connection and the airport card in my computer did not have an 'n' spec. Yesterday I replaced it with a new iMac and I now can get the full 50 mbps down and a hair below 5 mbps up. This is through the ethernet port; I haven't tried it wirelessly yet. The modem continues to be completely stable. I can't speak highly enough of the tech. He went over my whole wireless setup very thoroughly, answered all of my questions and didn't leave until I was completely satisfied. The level of both telephone and field service of Sig Tech makes the package well worth the extra bucks, especially for someone like me whose technical competence is, shall I say, modest.
Larry Hardin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 534 Old 07-24-2011, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hardin View Post

The very helpful Sig Home tech who came to my house a couple of days ago determined that my speed problem was due to some shortcomings with my Mac, now rather long in the tooth. One of them was that a faulty ethernet port obliged me to use a wireless connection and the airport card in my computer did not have an 'n' spec.

That's exactly what I suggested initially - you likely had an old wireless "B" adapter which would limit the speed to what you were getting. Glad the issue is resolved for you. The main tech I deal with is good - I'm positive that it's the equipment that is the root cause of my issues. Another question for you is: How many devices are using your Wideband Internet (total wired and wireless)? I have at least 12 Internet connected devices at any given time.

I really would like to get my hands on an Arris T902 Gateway, but they are impossible to find. I may have to settle for a Cisco because I can get one. The next step is finding out what kind of discount they will give if I use my own equipment and if they'll even allow it.

UPDATE: The firmware update apparently did not address the mobile device connectivity either. Just tried from my iPhone and nothing. As soon as Kyle is back from vacation, I'm going to inquire about getting back into my promotional package and downgrading service. Until they can get me an Arris Gateway or allow me to use my own at a discounted rate, the package is not worth the aggravation. I'm going to discuss keeping my Multi-Room and dumping the second DVR for a client set top. If they credit me the month of service again, I'll consider "dealing" with it again - but I'm not paying $210 a month for this crap!


UPDATE: Well, according to the broken ass English speaking "Solutions Advisor" I chatted with tonight, the max clients a uBee modem will support is 15 and I'm about at that limit. Could be why the connections are spotty I may put a call in and see if someone, ANYONE can confirm if I can use my own gear. I keep searching for that Arris Gateway, but there is no telling how long it may be until it hits the market.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #93 of 534 Old 07-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Member
 
Larry Hardin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Another question for you is: How many devices are using your Wideband Internet (total wired and wireless)? I have at least 12 Internet connected devices at any given time.

Four maximum, rarely more than two at a time. I think that we're playing in different leagues. I do suspect that the Ubee modem was not intended for such device-intensive use,
Larry Hardin is offline  
post #94 of 534 Old 07-25-2011, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hardin View Post

Four maximum, rarely more than two at a time. I think that we're playing in different leagues. I do suspect that the Ubee modem was not intended for such device-intensive use,

Could very well be - I have alot of net connected devices here. My issue is that Signature Service was supposed to cater to power users and it is clearly failing at that. I have some more experimenting to do with the connections here. Next, I am going to eliminate the second drop and instead split the buried drop before the amp. I'll send one leg to the modems and the other to the amp and subsequent 7 other outlets with the filters in place. I want to see if the connection remains stable with that.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #95 of 534 Old 07-26-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Satch Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Metro-Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Could very well be - I have alot of net connected devices here. My issue is that Signature Service was supposed to cater to power users and it is clearly failing at that. I have some more experimenting to do with the connections here. Next, I am going to eliminate the second drop and instead split the buried drop before the amp. I'll send one leg to the modems and the other to the amp and subsequent 7 other outlets with the filters in place. I want to see if the connection remains stable with that.

Agree Ben,

Can you provide a list of all the devices that are on your wireless network?

Jack

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

Satch Man is offline  
post #96 of 534 Old 07-26-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Agree Ben,

Can you provide a list of all the devices that are on your wireless network?

Jack

2 - LAN Connected PC's

2- iPods

1 - iPhone

3 - Notebook Computers

1- Nintendo Wii

1 - Roku Media Player

1 - Blu-ray Player

2 - Internet Connected HDTV's

Occasional Guest Devices from time to time.

Also, tonight came another loss of the wireless connection. Wii would not connect and my iPhone would not connect. I ended up piggy backing a neighbors unsecured wireless. This **** is getting really stale. I'm going to call in tonight and get break downs of the individual packages, so I can price out what will happen for a downgrade. I'm hoping to get a Motorola Modem to try on the independent drop to confirm if it runs more stable. I am going to push hard to get them to allow me to use my own Residential Gateway from Cisco. Once Kyle is back from vacation I am going to discuss it with him. If I can't get anywhere then a I'm going back to my old service.

UPDATE: Called in and found out they never put my modem in monitoring. Spoke with a "PSA" about downgrading service. They have no clue about pricing and it seems like they make up pricing as they go. The end result would be $196.50 to go back into my original Triple Play and keep Whole Home WITHOUT a second DVR (Client Only). WTF!?!?! The call was confusing as hell. It's $20 for Whole Home add on, $12.95 for the DVR, $7.95 for the Client??!!! It's like an extra $40 just to keep Whole Home. I may scrap that too - it's just not worth it. She said I'd have to call retention and try to get into a promo for a better rate. Also, inquired about using/getting my own equipment and was told I can because they won't service it. I kindly explained that was fine by me because my old WRT54G router performed flawlessly for 5 years before I took on their equipment and that the can't guarantee my service anyway. Then she said that they would not guarantee the speed with third party equipment. They seem to be pushing their stuff really hard for some reason. These are the excuses that keep me away from a Moxi box or HTPC build. I can almost be assured of CableCard or SDV issues and then be told "too bad" we don't support those items. I've gone from being a pretty solid proponent of TWC service to flat out NOT recommending them for anything beyond basic levels. I had to laugh when she told me about the 30 day guarantee and that if I was within 30 days they switch you back, no questions asked. It's been two months now and I continue to be patient with them but they still cannot fix this. Everytime I call they poll the modem and say everything is fine. I explained how my wireless was out again tonight and was told to reboot all my devices. If I can't use my own Gateway I'll try a Motorola Modem again and if I have issues after that and they still refuse to allow me to use my own gear, then I'll be back into my old package. I may even can Whole Home DVR if it's going to be an extra $40 a month. NO WAY it's worth that.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #97 of 534 Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Satch Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Metro-Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

2 - LAN Connected PC's

2- iPods

1 - iPhone

3 - Notebook Computers

1- Nintendo Wii

1 - Roku Media Player

1 - Blu-ray Player

2 - Internet Connected HDTV's

Occasional Guest Devices from time to time.

Also, tonight came another loss of the wireless connection. Wii would not connect and my iPhone would not connect. I ended up piggy backing a neighbors unsecured wireless. This **** is getting really stale. I'm going to call in tonight and get break downs of the individual packages, so I can price out what will happen for a downgrade. I'm hoping to get a Motorola Modem to try on the independent drop to confirm if it runs more stable. I am going to push hard to get them to allow me to use my own Residential Gateway from Cisco. Once Kyle is back from vacation I am going to discuss it with him. If I can't get anywhere then a I'm going back to my old service.

UPDATE: Called in and found out they never put my modem in monitoring. Spoke with a "PSA" about downgrading service. They have no clue about pricing and it seems like they make up pricing as they go. The end result would be $196.50 to go back into my original Triple Play and keep Whole Home WITHOUT a second DVR (Client Only). WTF!?!?! The call was confusing as hell. It's $20 for Whole Home add on, $12.95 for the DVR, $7.95 for the Client??!!! It's like an extra $40 just to keep Whole Home. I may scrap that too - it's just not worth it. She said I'd have to call retention and try to get into a promo for a better rate. Also, inquired about using/getting my own equipment and was told I can because they won't service it. I kindly explained that was fine by me because my old WRT54G router performed flawlessly for 5 years before I took on their equipment and that the can't guarantee my service anyway. Then she said that they would not guarantee the speed with third party equipment. They seem to be pushing their stuff really hard for some reason. These are the excuses that keep me away from a Moxi box or HTPC build. I can almost be assured of CableCard or SDV issues and then be told "too bad" we don't support those items. I've gone from being a pretty solid proponent of TWC service to flat out NOT recommending them for anything beyond basic levels. I had to laugh when she told me about the 30 day guarantee and that if I was within 30 days they switch you back, no questions asked. It's been two months now and I continue to be patient with them but they still cannot fix this. Everytime I call they poll the modem and say everything is fine. I explained how my wireless was out again tonight and was told to reboot all my devices. If I can't use my own Gateway I'll try a Motorola Modem again and if I have issues after that and they still refuse to allow me to use my own gear, then I'll be back into my old package. I may even can Whole Home DVR if it's going to be an extra $40 a month. NO WAY it's worth that.

Ben,

Holy $___________! This is an absolute nightmare beyond comprehension!!! And you have been the best, most loyal, and patient customer for so many years this is just insane! This is getting so awful that it's almost what to do? Unless Kyle and Daryl can do a complete 260 degree turn around with your equipment and services when Kyle gets back, it's just gotten to the point, where you may have to almost dump all of TWC. And I would just say, "You guys are really helpful" but this equipment is just not holding for me as a power user, and this is just taking up too much of my money and time."

Ben seriously, your're almost ready to get this situation on some customer nightmares TV show or something, because at least in my opinion it's gotten that bad. And if level 3 guys and supervisors can't get this working after months and months of this crap, I would say "Goodbye."

Even if you go back to your own equipment, they have been screwing around with so much stuff, who's to say you're gonna get the service that was just fine pre-Signature Home? I just don't understand where everything went from so good for five years, where the only issues where Navigator's slowness and lack of features to much more severe problems. This is just getting ridiculous. I hope that these issues are not indicative of Signature Home service in other parts of the country, because if they are, that has to be just devastating to these users.

I mean WTF? Are you gonna have to downgrade to DSL just get reliable Internet back again? I don't understand why they can't even give you are simple yes or no on using your own equipment? But it's gotten too late for that.

The only saving grace would be if somehow, ALL of this crap was related to the U-Bee Modem, but at this point, I could certainly say "Screw It!" Get a reliable ISP and Internet connection, an antenna, and a NetFlix Subscription. Time to get your life and time back again.

Jack

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

Satch Man is offline  
post #98 of 534 Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Also, for people who say I have too many devices connected. NOTHING HAS CHANGED! These are the same devices I had when I moved to Signature Home. The other issue is that they messed with all my wiring. Changed the TAP and cut the original (trouble-free) DROP. The bigger issue is that I'm relatively happy with the offerings WHEN THEY WORK. Sure, Navigator needs massive improvements, but they seem to be coming slowly and surely. I so regret moving to Sig Home now, because everything was working so well (even with Navigator flaws). I'm pretty certain it's the equipment because since going to the separate drop, the actual connection holds fine. It's the LAN and Wi-Fi that crap out on the modem side. I re-hooked everything back through a single drop and it went berserk. Once the modems are run through the amp and MoCa filters it completely causes chaos with the modem and the connections drops on everything. What's worse is I don't have any alternative for Broadband here other than satellite and that's a huge ripoff. I wish Kyle wasn't out of town and maybe I'll put a call into Daryl tomorrow to see if he can get me a Motorola modem to try. I could get my own D3 Modem for under $100 and then use my own wireless gear, but I'd much rather get a complete gateway device because I already have two separate items now. The Cisco unit looks decent and I've had such good service from my Arris that I'd love to get one. I know for certain they are qualifying it for TWC, but who knows if I can ever get one. The 50/5 is great for sharing the connection among all the users, but the 15/1 also sufficed. I real only notice a different when I'm moving HUGE files.

Anyway, I have been actively looking at some Moxi boxes and hitting Newegg checking out HTPC cases just to get some ideas. The issue remains that even if I just wanted to keep the Wideband Internet at $100 a month I really can't because it's so unreliable. I'm looking at DirecTV too, but they just can't compete with TWC's HD channels here. I'll put in a call to Daryl tomorrow and see what he says.

My other option is trying to Bridge off the unsecured neighbors and can my service altogether! However, I want my own secured network. This isn't a cost issue as one person tried to point out. I'm not trying to get free service credits and can afford the package. I just want what I pay for to WORK!

ADD ON: Did some research tonight and found in the Cable Act of 1994 that the FCC mandated that customers can use their own equipment:

Q: My cable operator tells me that now I have to use equipment which I didn't need
before, such as a converter box or a remote control, and they want to charge me for the
use of this equipment. Do I have to use their equipment and do I have to pay for it?

A: Cable operators may require their subscribers to use specific equipment, such as
converters, to receive the basic service tier. They may include a separate charge on your bill
to lease this equipment to you on a monthly basis. This monthly rate must be based on the
operator's actual costs of providing the equipment to you. Operators may also sell equipment
to you, with or without a service contract. If an operator provides a choice between selling
and leasing the equipment, the monthly leasing rate will be regulated but the sales price will
be unregulated. If an operator only sells equipment and does not also lease equipment, then
the sales price must be the actual cost of the equipment plus a reasonable profit, and any
service contract should be based on the estimated cost to service the equipment. If the
customer buys the equipment but does not purchase a service contract, the customer can be
charged for repairs and maintenance. Cable operators may not prevent customers from using
their own equipment if such equipment is technically compatible with the cable system
.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #99 of 534 Old 07-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
fhall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central NY
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ben - I may have missed your setup description somewhere else, but are you using the TW equipment as your cable modem AND wired/wireless router? If so, with all those devices you have, have you tried putting an Airport Extreme or Linksys or Netgear Gigabit/wireless n router between your devices and the cable company POS modem/router? That way the cable router only has to figure out that it has one device connected (the other router) - and the "good" third party router handles all the separate device traffic? Maybe borrow a router and insert it into your setup and see what happens? If you already have one in the architecture, nevermind my post.
fhall1 is offline  
post #100 of 534 Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
Ben - I may have missed your setup description somewhere else, but are you using the TW equipment as your cable modem AND wired/wireless router? If so, with all those devices you have, have you tried putting an Airport Extreme or Linksys or Netgear Gigabit/wireless n router between your devices and the cable company POS modem/router? That way the cable router only has to figure out that it has one device connected (the other router) - and the "good" third party router handles all the separate device traffic? Maybe borrow a router and insert it into your setup and see what happens? If you already have one in the architecture, nevermind my post.
No, I have one I can use. I'm trying to get TW to allow me to purchase a DOCSIS 3 Residential Gateway to use. I'd even be happy with a standard D3 Telephony modem at this point. The issue here is I'm paying them top dollar for this and it should be working WITHOUT all my help. If I have to use my own equipment (which they frown upon from the PSA I talked to) then they should discount my package, don't you think? I talked with Daryl today and am going to try a few more things - I'm hoping to hear from Kyle about getting different equipment.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #101 of 534 Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Member
 
hansiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, read thru your whole story. Sorry so much junk was installed with a 'signiture' service. Too bad you dont have an option to twc, as I have RCN. Tho many of my friends are soaked by twc, some others pay about half with RCN.
For your internet I'd say get at least a motorola cable modem or better WITH OUT WIFI to feed your ol' router. I use a slightly modded wndr3700. The ubees are junk, like most of the the twc equipment.

Down the line at their end they may also have equipment that is causing intermittent failures. It took Verison 6 weeks to admit to me that my work's internet connection was a fault at their end. That was after I kept at them stating time and again that was the problem.

That new line going direct to the modem cleared up an obvious screw up of that amp to a 8 legged octopus. Guy should be fired for screwing that in.
As for a whole house tv solution just go back to a single twc pvr or what makes you most comfortable. There are 4 tuner cable card pc cards debuting that after the first time adopters help debug them will be a good whole house solution. Or just stream movies and tv via a fat internet connection.
For a VOIP I never saw what was better about it really, besides the visual caller id on the tv. I save it and just have a cell, google voice and use a skype service.

If ya see the supervisor ask him if he knows of AVS, then mention that this whole fiasco is being told in this forum. Then snap a picture of his 'Oh Sheet' expression.

Good luck, I hope yall can get a solid hookup and can just sit back in yer recliner and relax.
hansiz is offline  
post #102 of 534 Old 07-28-2011, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
fhall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central NY
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

No, I have one I can use. I'm trying to get TW to allow me to purchase a DOCSIS 3 Residential Gateway to use. I'd even be happy with a standard D3 Telephony modem at this point. The issue here is I'm paying them top dollar for this and it should be working WITHOUT all my help. If I have to use my own equipment (which they frown upon from the PSA I talked to) then they should discount my package, don't you think? I talked with Daryl today and am going to try a few more things - I'm hoping to hear from Kyle about getting different equipment.

I totally agree you should get a discount if using your own gear....I was just wondering about the device count and if you had a router to stick behind theirs as a test it might be an easy way to rule it out or confirm it as the problem. Right now I'm on the plain old TW triple play with whatever cable modem they supply (with digital phone but no wireless) feeding an Apple Airport Extreme router....between wireless devices, switches, computers, BR player, WD Live Plus, Wii, OBi phone hub, etc I count about 24 devices on my network and never have an issue with the internet connection...of course the TW modem is only feeding one device - my router (well - two if you count the phone).
fhall1 is offline  
post #103 of 534 Old 07-28-2011, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I know my old Cisco router worked just fine with the old Roadrunner package. I may just setup the uBee to act as a modem only and see how it performs, but I wanted to try the Motorola again. Adding my own router to the mix will make three devices daisy chained and I'm running out of space where they are shelved. Still waiting to hear back from the Supervisor...

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #104 of 534 Old 07-30-2011, 06:47 AM
 
Daye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey if i call up twc an ask them to send me a Cisco 8642HDC will they do it or do they only give them if you get Signature Home ?
Daye is offline  
post #105 of 534 Old 07-30-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daye View Post

hey if i call up twc an ask them to send me a Cisco 8642HDC will they do it or do they only give them if you get Signature Home ?

Your only going to get an 8642 if you are a Sig Home customer or a Whole Home DVR customer. You can request an 8640 which is the same except it has a 320GB HDD and doesn't support MoCa (needed for Whole Home DVR).

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #106 of 534 Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Newbie
 
Dj_Lance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
could always log into the modem yourself. user user should be the user name and password. If that doesn't work you could factory reset it by pushing and holding the "pen button" for about 30 seconds. if you are going to use your own router just make sure to put the d3 modem in bridged mode. at this point i don't think its the cabling in your house. I'll check the default settings for the ubee modem for max clients. I'm thinking the Call rep is only guessing at max clients.
Dj_Lance is offline  
post #107 of 534 Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well, Kyle got me a Motorola Modem to replace this uBee. I am picking it up tomorrow at the Rome office. Fingers crossed that this ends the connectivity issues! I have spoke with Daryl and confirmed that the second drop is NOT needed. It did solve and issue, but I tried just using a TAP on the existing buried line and then amping the remaining connections separate gave me the same performance. If the Motorola does not fix the issues, I will be demanding that they allow me to procure my own networking gear and use that. If they refuse, I will then cancel Signature Home. So, this is do or die time - I've worked with them for over 3 months isolating line & equipment issues. If I cannot get reliable service after this, I give up. I no longer have the time or resources to dedicate to this. I will go back to basic service using my own equipment that worked so well.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #108 of 534 Old 08-03-2011, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Satch Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Metro-Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Well, Kyle got me a Motorola Modem to replace this uBee. I am picking it up tomorrow at the Rome office. Fingers crossed that this ends the connectivity issues! I have spoke with Daryl and confirmed that the second drop is NOT needed. It did solve and issue, but I tried just using a TAP on the existing buried line and then amping the remaining connections separate gave me the same performance. If the Motorola does not fix the issues, I will be demanding that they allow me to procure my own networking gear and use that. If they refuse, I will then cancel Signature Home. So, this is do or die time - I've worked with them for over 3 months isolating line & equipment issues. If I cannot get reliable service after this, I give up. I no longer have the time or resources to dedicate to this. I will go back to basic service using my own equipment that worked so well.

Good that they know the clock is ticking on you as a Signature Home Customer, Ben! You are doing all the right things!

When you say Basic Service, you mean just Basic Cable with Roadrunner using your own stuff, instead of their s**t, right?

Jack

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

Satch Man is offline  
post #109 of 534 Old 08-03-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Good that they know the clock is ticking on you as a Signature Home Customer, Ben! You are doing all the right things!

When you say Basic Service, you mean just Basic Cable with Roadrunner using your own stuff, instead of their s**t, right?

Jack

I was told if I downgrade I should be able to go back into my old promo rate via retention of $129 for the Triple Play - so I'd do that. I'm on my way to pick up the modem now and should know if it's going to work as soon as I hook it up. I'll update this post later tonight.

Also, our division took Navigator to 5.0 last night. I posted about that in the actual Navigator thread. It was a major disappointment.

UPDATE: Replaced uBee with Motorola and the same issues persist. Loss of DNS / LAN connection on boot. Spotty Wireless... I give up. I am going to put a call into Kyle and let him know. They either let me get my own Gateway, own separate modem, or I drop Signature Home - END OF DISCUSSION.

UPDATE: 8/4/2011 - I put a call in last night and no call back yet. I attempted to chat via My Services, but as usual that is down too. Complete loss of Wireless again tonight forcing a reboot of the Modem which then caused all the LAN connected PC's to go down, so I had to go reset the adapters there. Basically, I'm asking if TWC will allow me to purchase my own Cisco Gateway (since the Arris Models are not available) and use it to see what happens. I'll kindly request a months credit to offset the expense and if it works - I'll stay. If they don't want to let me try my own stuff or fail to procure a different device then Signature Home will be no more. This is the last straw and I'm sick of having to putz around with the connection every time I need to get online.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #110 of 534 Old 08-04-2011, 05:56 PM
 
Daye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
when i was down at the twc place they told me we dont have sig home here but that i could get whole house dvr pkg and i said great but when i asked her about the new 8642HDC she told me that the 8300hdc i had was good enough an that those were the boxes they gave out with wholehouse dvr if thats true that pkg is crap at 200 bux a month with those old cable boxes
Daye is offline  
post #111 of 534 Old 08-04-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daye View Post

when i was down at the twc place they told me we dont have sig home here but that i could get whole house dvr pkg and i said great but when i asked her about the new 8642HDC she told me that the 8300hdc i had was good enough an that those were the boxes they gave out with wholehouse dvr if thats true that pkg is crap at 200 bux a month with those old cable boxes

The 8300HDC is technically incapable of supporting Whole Home DVR because it doesn't support MoCa. I know certain Samsung boxes do (not sure of models), but the only Cisco boxes that support Whole Home (in deployment right now) are the 8642HDC (DVR) and the 4642HDC (Client). The rep in typical TWC fashion was either ignorant or misinformed. Don't feel bad, I have spoken with the supposed Personal Solutions Assistant and they don't know **** either. I had a confusing as hell conversation trying to decipher what my actual cost is going to be to drop the Signature Service, go back into my old plan and keep the Whole Home. I wish I recorded that so I could post it on YouTube, it was actually funny in a sad way.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #112 of 534 Old 08-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Weags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post


I was told if I downgrade I should be able to go back into my old promo rate via retention of $129 for the Triple Play - so I'd do that. I'm on my way to pick up the modem now and should know if it's going to work as soon as I hook it up. I'll update this post later tonight.

Also, our division took Navigator to 5.0 last night. I posted about that in the actual Navigator thread. It was a major disappointment.

UPDATE: Replaced uBee with Motorola and the same issues persist. Loss of DNS / LAN connection on boot. Spotty Wireless... I give up. I am going to put a call into Kyle and let him know. They either let me get my own Gateway, own separate modem, or I drop Signature Home - END OF DISCUSSION.

UPDATE: 8/4/2011 - I put a call in last night and no call back yet. I attempted to chat via My Services, but as usual that is down too. Complete loss of Wireless again tonight forcing a reboot of the Modem which then caused all the LAN connected PC's to go down, so I had to go reset the adapters there. Basically, I'm asking if TWC will allow me to purchase my own Cisco Gateway (since the Arris Models are not available) and use it to see what happens. I'll kindly request a months credit to offset the expense and if it works - I'll stay. If they don't want to let me try my own stuff or fail to procure a different device then Signature Home will be no more. This is the last straw and I'm sick of having to putz around with the connection every time I need to get online.

Have you DEFINITELY verified that the max clients setting is not the issue? I have been paying attention all along and have seen you mention checking it, but no confirmation as to the result of your checks.
Weags is offline  
post #113 of 534 Old 08-04-2011, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags View Post

Have you DEFINITELY verified that the max clients setting is not the issue? I have been paying attention all along and have seen you mention checking it, but no confirmation as to the result of your checks.

The modem CPE is set at 253. I cannot get TWC to confirm if there is anything else on there end as the PSA's are pretty useless beyond reading script and setting up services calls. I did attept to disable the NAPT and use an old router to connect the LAN - when I did that it would reboot and get the DNS just fine. The wireless still drops out at random.Maybe I am overlooking something simple because of frustration, but this would/should be something TWC should have checked and caught by now - one would think?
LL

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #114 of 534 Old 08-11-2011, 12:07 PM
 
Daye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was just watching tv and an ad came on for twc Signature Home Service it said to call an get it but when i go to the twc website and put in my zipcode it says This product is not available in your area so who should i believe ?
Daye is offline  
post #115 of 534 Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Member
 
ExcelsiorDDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ben, I have read through your issues and I may be able to assist since I have MORE devices than you and running two different networks off from my wideband modem without issues in the Syracuse area.

Let me see if I can break it down for you:

Motorola 6580 modem
+wireless - mainly 1 laptop and 1 iphone and 1 wireless PS3
=1-direct to a slingbox
=2-to a Synology NAS
=3-Linksys WRT54g running Tomato on own ip range
==1-wired PC
==wireless-various ipods, laptops, iphones, wii
=4-to a 4 port switch
==1-Linksys WRT54g running Tomato as a wireless bridge to extend the network beyond the normal rage
===1 (4 port switch added)WDTV Live Plus, a Wii, a PS3, a PC.
==wireless 3 laptops, 2 iphones and various guest connections.
==2 PC
==3 PS3 wired
==4 WDTV Live


As I stated, I have very FEW issues with this modem or anything on it. Lets see if we can work this out together.
ExcelsiorDDZ is offline  
post #116 of 534 Old 08-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Member
 
ExcelsiorDDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As for the DNS issue, I have to ask the obvious...
Do you have the latest drivers for your NIC? And are they from the chipset manufacturer or the computer manufacturer?
ExcelsiorDDZ is offline  
post #117 of 534 Old 08-12-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelsiorDDZ
As for the DNS issue, I have to ask the obvious...
Do you have the latest drivers for your NIC? And are they from the chipset manufacturer or the computer manufacturer?
Just put the latest drivers in directly from the manufacturer. If I use a separate router I have no issue holding the DNS. The wireless range is really spotty and it doesn't like my iPhone (sometimes). They haven't really offered any solutions other than modem swaps. I was thinking of just getting a wireless router and bridging it to the Motorola. I'd like to compare setting with you at the modem level to see what you are doing to get reliable performance. I have isolated the line issue for certain. The remaining problems are equipment. Thanks for the reply.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #118 of 534 Old 08-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Member
 
ExcelsiorDDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are the images of my settings. If you need any in particular, please let me know. Just click the image for all of them.



ExcelsiorDDZ is offline  
post #119 of 534 Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks, I'll do a comparison, but I don't know how the hell you are getting good results with IP Flood Detection Enabled! That literally crippled my connection when running multiple internet apps. I really have to compare firmware revisions, but think I may just make my own work around by adding another Wi-Fi Router and creating a second Access Point in my office. It's sad that I'll likely have to work around Time Warner's crap equipment, but that is usually how it is.

That said, I still may dump Signature Home because even the additional DVR is an issue with Navigator. Navigator needs serious updates and fixes to get to where it should be. I posted in that thread about it, but it doesn't manage recordings well at all. I found tonight, all tuners in use in both rooms recording the same shows because the Series Manager only shows whats set up one the unit you are viewing, therefore my wife must have setup the same series on each unit thinking it didn't take. I'm currently looking at my basic package with just Triple Play and Whole Home with a client only depending on cost. I've still heard nothing back from Time Warner about any solution to the issue or getting different equipment. I'd like to keep the wideband separately, but the cost is ridiculous at $100 a month.

I've just got a really bad taste from this whole experience and it has me even contemplating cord cutting altogether (minus Internet). Problem is more-so the wife and kids - even making my setup as simple as possible, they still screw it up. I can't begin to think of the issues and HTPC would present.

UPDATE/ADD ON: Well once again ALL my SDV channels are "Not Available". They need to hurry with this digital transition and eliminate SDV! I never had issues with SDV until the Signature Home upgrade. Also, another complete Internet and Phone outage last night.


UPDATE/ADD ON 2: Tonight VOD is not working and I found Navigator missed recordings AGAIN! On a side note, I added ANOTHER router to the Motorola LAN acting as a switch to see what happens with the Wideband. I'm using it's wifi network to give range to the far end of the house because the crap TWC modem doesn't cover it. Also, compared my Motorola settings to Excelsior's and they are identical (except I have Flood Detection Off).

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #120 of 534 Old 08-26-2011, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Time Warner to Expand Signature Home to Include Premium Channels:

http://stopthecap.com/2011/08/25/tim...mium-channels/

Honestly, it's not a bad deal - but they should have had this at the $199 price point.

Just to update you on my ongoing issues: I never got any return calls about getting just a modem. When I contact them, I get conflicting information on whether or not I can use my own modem. The last try is to bridge the Motorola and use three of my own routers and switches to complete my network. When asked if I will receive a discount because they can't provide the service I pay for and will now require addition devices at my expense, I was told no. I'm going to try this just to confirm the modem is faulty. My final resolution is that Time Warner has firmware issue since they update the modems from the headend.

I cannot possibly be the only person having these issue, yet they shrug it off and seem to think it's no big deal to have to manually connect everytime. I'm going to miss the Wideband speeds, but not the hassle. I may revisit Signature Home later on down the road just to see if they got their act together. My only fear is that my flawless performance from before the upgrade may be gone. I have to get a replacement distribution block because the original one is dead. (It was fine until the "tech" decided to cut my drop and replace stuff). I can't prove he did it, but the unit is shorted out and was fine until they messed with it.

I'm actually researching the Dish VIP 922 and a possible move to Dish pending costs. A lot will hinge on whether or not TWC allows me back into my old promotion.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off