Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 534 Old 09-24-2011, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyp View Post

I've been following your ongoing saga with Signature Home with great interest and appreciate your efforts by keeping us updated.

I'm interested in switching to Signature Home myself, but so far I haven't read many positive reviews and I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

Hopefully, you will finally get your network issues resolved soon. I am sure there are many of us eager to know the cause of the problem.

rockyp
You do know that Sig Home is not your only choice if you are looking for whole house dvr. I did not do the Sig home as TWC does not have the capability to give me the 50Mbps down here yet so I just had them give me the 3--8642hdc boxes for whole home and kept the old docsis 2/ phone box till they have it. With turbo I get about 25Mbps now but would like to upgrade later.I have my own router and the system seems to function ok so far but I am anxiously waiting for the 4.1 Nav update as now you have to go back to the box a show was recorded on to delete it.
Roy

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which least is known
(3) Cisco 8742HDC---Signature Home---Navigator ver.-- 6.1.0_5
Desert Cities CA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 534 Old 09-24-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDO CA View Post

rockyp
You do know that Sig Home is not your only choice if you are looking for whole house dvr. I did not do the Sig home as TWC does not have the capability to give me the 50Mbps down here yet so I just had them give me the 3--8642hdc boxes for whole home and kept the old docsis 2/ phone box till they have it. With turbo I get about 25Mbps now but would like to upgrade later.I have my own router and the system seems to function ok so far but I am anxiously waiting for the 4.1 Nav update as now you have to go back to the box a show was recorded on to delete it.
Roy

Roy,
Actually I'm not that interested in whole home DVR. My main reason for switching to Sig Home (Mid-Ohio) is cost - my TWC bill for RR Powerboost Turbo, phone with voicemail, digital TV with variety tier and 1 HD box has just gone up to a ridiculous $180 (plus taxes and fees), a $40 increase!

So, Sig Home at $199 is a much better value for a whole lot more. I'm quite happy with my current set-up and will give TWC a call on Monday to request that they lower my bill to the old rate. If they won't, I'll probably give Sig Home a try.

Rocky
post #153 of 534 Old 09-25-2011, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I've been following your ongoing saga with Signature Home with great interest and appreciate your efforts by keeping us updated.

I'm interested in switching to Signature Home myself, but so far I haven't read many positive reviews and I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

Hopefully, you will finally get your network issues resolved soon. I am sure there are many of us eager to know the cause of the problem.

I'm positive at this point that Time Warner has written me off and will not solve the issue. I never got a call back from my area supervisor about getting the recently approved Arris Gateway and will basically be left to my own devices in deploying my own networking gear to get it working (hopefully) with their modem. I'm now off for two weeks and although I have a few installs, I will have time to dedicate to restructuring my network. Should this fail with their modem, I will downgrade back to standard Roadrunner Triple Play. I'm also watching Dish now that they are pushing some nice deals with the Blockbuster package.

My only advice is if you want to try Signature Home, verify there is no contract (there shouldn't be). Try it and know that you can can it if you aren't happy with it. I know they are now pushing it hard here with ads trying to make it look sexy (yes, sexy) with a couple snuggling, etc and the ad touting Advanced DVR... really? I don't have an Advanced DVR - I have the same crap Navigator powered DVR everyone else has!?!?!? They also tout the Concierge Service - sure, you don't have hold times and may get quicker service calls, but the CSR's or PSA's are just as uninformed as standard TWC reps. The Wideband is nice, but I notice no real speed difference while just surfing pages - only when downloading large files.

For now, I'm am NOT recommending Signature Home to my customers or friends in this division. It's too problematic and the equipment is far too glitch riddled. That said, I reiterate my above comment of try it if you want too. I'm finding it's not really a great value for the price point.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #154 of 534 Old 09-25-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Roy,
Actually I'm not that interested in whole home DVR. My main reason for switching to Sig Home (Mid-Ohio) is cost - my TWC bill for RR Powerboost Turbo, phone with voicemail, digital TV with variety tier and 1 HD box has just gone up to a ridiculous $180 (plus taxes and fees), a $40 increase!

So, Sig Home at $199 is a much better value for a whole lot more. I'm quite happy with my current set-up and will give TWC a call on Monday to request that they lower my bill to the old rate. If they won't, I'll probably give Sig Home a try.

Rocky

I have 3- 8642hdc dvr's on whole home service--Nat. phone--RR turbo with power boost --4 tiers which includes Showtime but no other premiums. I signed a 2 year contract and cost is163.65 plus tax. This was after quite a bit of back and forth negotiating.
Roy

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which least is known
(3) Cisco 8742HDC---Signature Home---Navigator ver.-- 6.1.0_5
Desert Cities CA

post #155 of 534 Old 09-25-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

There is patch update coming soon for the Motorola SBG6580, roll-out is around 10-15% at first to see if there any problems and the it will progress out in larger percentage to different systems.

Rob

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #156 of 534 Old 09-25-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDO CA View Post

I have 3- 8642hdc dvr's on whole home service--Nat. phone--RR turbo with power boost --4 tiers which includes Showtime but no other premiums. I signed a 2 year contract and cost is163.65 plus tax. This was after quite a bit of back and forth negotiating.
Roy

I suppose rates vary depending on the service area you are in, but that's a pretty good deal. I called Time Warner and they agreed to roll me back to my old rate ($142) for another year (without signing a new contact), so I'm happy.

I'm still interested in Sig Home once they iron out the bugs, but for now I will just add RR Extreme and another HD box for $18. My wife and I are empty-nesters and don't feel the need for DVR. My main reason for upgrading is the faster internet for Netflix streaming and I gather that the speed difference between Sig Home (50/5) and RR Extreme (30/5) is negligible.

Rocky
post #157 of 534 Old 09-25-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

For now, I'm am NOT recommending Signature Home to my customers or friends in this division. It's too problematic and the equipment is far too glitch riddled. That said, I reiterate my above comment of try it if you want too. I'm finding it's not really a great value for the price point.

Ben,

Time Warner is making a big mistake in giving up on you. This thread has had over 14,000 views and you've become the "poster boy" for Signature Home.

Anyone googling for positive user reviews will have a hard time finding any. Now that I'm back at my old rate for another year, Sig Home doesn't look that attractive anymore. So for the time being, I'll try RR Extreme instead. From what I understand, this also means having to upgrade to a DOCSIS3 modem.

Incidentally, I've been with Time Warner (mid-Ohio) for over 12 years and have been happy with their service (until the recent rate increase). Reading various forums, quality of service depends a lot on where you are located. I've been quite fortunate so far.

Rocky
post #158 of 534 Old 09-25-2011, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ben,

Time Warner is making a big mistake in giving up on you. This thread has had over 14,000 views and you've become the "poster boy" for Signature Home.

Anyone googling for positive user reviews will have a hard time finding any. Now that I'm back at my old rate for another year, Sig Home doesn't look that attractive anymore. So for the time being, I'll try RR Extreme instead. From what I understand, this also means having to upgrade to a DOCSIS3 modem.

Incidentally, I've been with Time Warner (mid-Ohio) for over 12 years and have been happy with their service (until the recent rate increase). Reading various forums, quality of service depends a lot on where you are located. I've been quite fortunate so far.

Rocky

I was quite happy with the service up to the point where I "upgraded" into Signature Home. I had NEVER had any issues with Roadrunner or Digital Phone (for 5 years since moving here) with the Arris Gateway. I've had nothing but issues since the move to Sig Home. I isolated the modem connection issues (NOT TWC!) and since then the phone has been OK. However, to this date I have had zero satisfaction with the Wideband (the main reason I went into Sig Home versus just adding on Whole Home DVR to my old package. I was a proponent of TWC, even explaining benefits to my customers without actually endorsing. I'd just point out the pros and cons for them to decide.

Up until my Sig Home move - the only real gripe was Navigator. The software is still lacking the most basic features of a DVR GUI and has problems. However, I was getting a good enough rate to overlook it's faults in the hopes they will actually listen to us and add the desired feature sets and usability tweaks.

Now that I have some time off from my full time job, I fully intend to stop by my local satellite place and examine the Dish 922. I also will give some effort to tweaking my network in an effort to get it performing correctly. On that topic is again an issue where I take fault with TWC. They have so much as admitted they CANNOT fix of find the issue causing my Internet problems and that I may use my own networking equipment instead of theirs. However, when I ask for a discount because they cannot provide me with the service as advertised they say no.

So, once I run through my troubleshooting again I will see where it stands. If I cannot circumvent the issue then I will see about opting out of Sig Home as I have planned. I'd hate to give up the Wideband speed, but I'd rather have reliable a connection versus a slightly faster one that needs constant interaction from the user.

As far as Time Warner making a big mistake giving up on me - I really believe these companies have gotten so huge and poorly managed that they just don't care. TWC will still make billions in profit each year without me. That's just the reality of the world today.

ADD ON:

Here is the new Signature Home Ad Campaign... What a bunch of bull! (This refers to my earlier post of trying to make it sexy).

http://www.timewarnercable.com/corpo...mmercials.html

post #159 of 534 Old 10-01-2011, 12:38 AM

update tomorow im callin to have my account fixed an to remove all the signaturehome crap they put an get the lowest price cable pkg they have and guess what i can now get rr wideband by itself but they nutured it for the people of rgv texas check this out see picture im still gettin it for the 50down speed anyways an hope some day in the far future they change it to 5up or did they do this everywhere else ?

update i cant get wideband by itself if i want it they said i have to get signaturehome i said ok but my account already says i have signaturehome for about a whole month
LL
post #160 of 534 Old 10-08-2011, 09:51 PM

does any one here know how to make the UBEE DDW3611 as fast as the motorola sb6120 also how do you completely shut off the wifi radio in it ?

please help my other option is to call tw on monday an have them activate my sb6120 again
post #161 of 534 Old 10-09-2011, 11:21 AM

can someone put a pic of where the filter thing goes for the wholehouse dvr ?
post #162 of 534 Old 10-09-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time Warner puts MoCa filters on the incoming line and on each output that is not connected to a Whole Home set top.

Also, a note to other Signature Home customers - it appears we are the first to get the upgraded Search function featuring Keyword Search. It should show up with ODN Version 5.0.0_6.

post #163 of 534 Old 10-09-2011, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just finish reading the thread, damn I got tired just reading about your problems. Sorry that you had to go through all that trouble. As a long time user of TWC (NYC), I am quite familar with their shortcomings. But like many have already posted, TWC has been pushing Signature Home Service in my area hard. So I just wanted to find out how good the service really was. Thanks to your thread I now know to avoid it. I guess I do some research on Verizon fios, maybe that will be a better choice.
post #164 of 534 Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loststorm View Post

Just finish reading the thread, damn I got tired just reading about your problems. Sorry that you had to go through all that trouble. As a long time user of TWC (NYC), I am quite familar with their shortcomings. But like many have already posted, TWC has been pushing Signature Home Service in my area hard. So I just wanted to find out how good the service really was. Thanks to your thread I now know to avoid it. I guess I do some research on Verizon fios, maybe that will be a better choice.

Signature Home would be great IF TWC deployed a good Gateway device. That is the shortcoming of it all.

post #165 of 534 Old 10-09-2011, 06:57 PM

i need the pic i removed the filter an i got it stuck on the wrong place but i found out its whats slowin down this already slow ubee modem im gonna try monday to get my sb6120 reinstalled

i need fully detailed pictures of how and where the filter goes the cable guy only left 1 tho so btw has any 1 else been havin trouble with this crappy cable box most of the channels say unavailable and stuff does not get recorded also all the on demand channels are brokem after the cable guy installed that filter thing thats why i was messin with it to see if it was on the wrong place

this is a speed test of this new ubee see i been payin for RR EXtreme for a long time now now since they installed this crappy modem or filter its like they downgraded me to RR standerd speed without the boost thats all the speed i can get after they installed this crap

post #166 of 534 Old 10-10-2011, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Filters depend on how exactly your setup is wired. A MoCa filter should not be hindering your cable modem as the frequency band isn't close. I'd call them if you're a Signature Home customer. They should have a tech dispatched to isolate your issues.

post #167 of 534 Old 10-10-2011, 07:56 AM

ok i cant call the cable guys an i also wont be putting the filter an splitter back on i left the cable line connected directly to my modem with the spliter on the up power gets to 50 an everythings slow also the filter is broke with it on the cable modem takes years to connect an when it does speed tests are crappy slow speed everywhere pages dont load some take along time to load so i just left that filter off the ubee is slow enough by itself now what do i do with the filter do i even need it if im gonna hookup a cable line directly to the cable box ?

btw dont worry i aint using the cable box right now i wont untill i get a new cable line from radio shack if ur wondering be4 this mess i had 2 direct cable lines to the poll but for some wierd reason the cable guy cut the connector off the 1 that was for the cable box an used only the 1 that was pluged into the modem all the cable guys do is mess things up thats why now im just gonna buy some cables at radio shack an fix it myself or try to
post #168 of 534 Old 10-10-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daye View Post

ok i cant call the cable guys an i also wont be putting the filter an splitter back on i left the cable line connected directly to my modem with the spliter on the up power gets to 50 an everythings slow also the filter is broke with it on the cable modem takes years to connect an when it does speed tests are crappy slow speed everywhere pages dont load some take along time to load so i just left that filter off the ubee is slow enough by itself now what do i do with the filter do i even need it if im gonna hookup a cable line directly to the cable box ?

btw dont worry i aint using the cable box right now i wont untill i get a new cable line from radio shack if ur wondering be4 this mess i had 2 direct cable lines to the poll but for some wierd reason the cable guy cut the connector off the 1 that was for the cable box an used only the 1 that was pluged into the modem all the cable guys do is mess things up thats why now im just gonna buy some cables at radio shack an fix it myself or try to

I'm at a loss as to why you can't call Time Warner to check this out? You say there is damage equipment, so get them out to replace it.

post #169 of 534 Old 10-10-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Filters depend on how exactly your setup is wired. A MoCa filter should not be hindering your cable modem as the frequency band isn't close. I'd call them if you're a Signature Home customer. They should have a tech dispatched to isolate your issues.

My cable line from the road connects to a 2-way splitter, one leg to a direct line to the modem, the other leg to a 4-way powered splitter/ampler. The moca filter is between the 4-way and the 2-way

In other words mocha has nothing to do with the RR modem
post #170 of 534 Old 10-10-2011, 04:11 PM

rdgcss can u take a pic of that ?
post #171 of 534 Old 10-10-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

My cable line from the road connects to a 2-way splitter, one leg to a direct line to the modem, the other leg to a 4-way powered splitter/ampler. The moca filter is between the 4-way and the 2-way

In other words mocha has nothing to do with the RR modem

Exactly - but even if he had a MoCa filter on his incoming feed, it should not hinder his Roadrunner. The new Arris Gateways have the MoCa filter built right into the modems. It sounds like there is something else in play here.

post #172 of 534 Old 10-10-2011, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
[quote=Daye;21063252]rdgcss can u take a pic of

Will try to in the next day or so
post #173 of 534 Old 10-12-2011, 12:55 PM

I am very interested in the TWC Signature Home Service and have a question about its MoCA capabilities I was hoping someone with the service can answer. I understand that the TWC Signature service uses a modem with MoCA built-in for the "whole house DVR" feature. This sounds similar to the setup used by Verizon FIOS (which is not yet available to me) which uses an Actiontec router with built-in MoCA. I know that FIOS customers can take advantage of the router's built-in MoCA by connecting a separate MoCA adapter (such as a Netgear MCAB1001 or Actiontec Ethernet Over Coax adapter) to a computer or home theater system and get internet connectivity similar to a Powerline network. Has anyone tested this to see if it works with the TWC modem? If not, does anyone know if a standard MoCA kit (one MoCA adapter before the modem, a second adapter attached to the networked device) would work with TWC's DOCSIS 3.0 modem? Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert D Goldstein
post #174 of 534 Old 10-12-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgold View Post

I am very interested in the TWC Signature Home Service and have a question about its MoCA capabilities I was hoping someone with the service can answer. I understand that the TWC Signature service uses a modem with MoCA built-in for the "whole house DVR" feature. This sounds similar to the setup used by Verizon FIOS (which is not yet available to me) which uses an Actiontec router with built-in MoCA. I know that FIOS customers can take advantage of the router's built-in MoCA by connecting a separate MoCA adapter (such as a Netgear MCAB1001 or Actiontec Ethernet Over Coax adapter) to a computer or home theater system and get internet connectivity similar to a Powerline network. Has anyone tested this to see if it works with the TWC modem? If not, does anyone know if a standard MoCA kit (one MoCA adapter before the modem, a second adapter attached to the networked device) would work with TWC's DOCSIS 3.0 modem? Thanks in advance for any help.

TWC has the MoCa adapter built into the set top box, not the modem/router. (In fact, the modem gets filtered out). Each DVR or Client communicates with each other. Signature Home still has a long way to go. If you use their equipment be prepared for endless problems. I still cannot get LAN connected computers to hold the DNS settings and mobile devices constantly have to be renewed. Whole Home works, but Navigator which basically runs it needs better management tools for the boxes. The only thing really keeping me in Sig Home at this point is the Wideband (which I still have to reset daily).

post #175 of 534 Old 10-12-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:

TWC has the MoCa adapter built into the set top box, not the modem/router. (In fact, the modem gets filtered out). Each DVR or Client communicates with each other. Signature Home still has a long way to go. If you use their equipment be prepared for endless problems. I still cannot get LAN connected computers to hold the DNS settings and mobile devices constantly have to be renewed. Whole Home works, but Navigator which basically runs it needs better management tools for the boxes. The only thing really keeping me in Sig Home at this point is the Wideband (which I still have to reset daily).

Ah, thanks for the reply. I already have wideband, so I think I'll hold off on the Sig Home package for now as it sounds like it may create more problems than it solves.

Robert D Goldstein
post #176 of 534 Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 PM

does the blocking in the parental controls for the ubee ddw3611 block just the images on the page so kids cant see them or does it block the page an stuff on it like viruses and java an ActiveX stuff ?

btw i still need to know where that moca filter goes without crapping out the ubee i tried searching google i found this so the correct way is to put the filter on the connector behind the modem or on the cable box the cable guy put it on a connector on the splitter maybe thats why it messed up the modem ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7yknwV1YME&hd=1
LL
post #177 of 534 Old 10-12-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daye View Post

does the blocking in the parental controls for the ubee ddw3611 block just the images on the page so kids cant see them or does it block the page an stuff on it like viruses and java an ActiveX stuff ?

btw i still need to know where that moca filter goes without crapping out the ubee i tried searching google i found this so the correct way is to put the filter on the connector behind the modem or on the cable box the cable guy put it on a connector on the splitter maybe thats why it messed up the modem ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7yknwV1YME&hd=1

Same difference if the filter is there or coming off the leg of the splitter that goes there. All a MoCa filter does is act as a bandpass filter, blocking a certain frequency range used by the MoCa devices.

post #178 of 534 Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM

Ben did you get your problem fixed. I had the same issues as you and once i figured out how to get my device into bridge mode and returned to my old router my problems went away. I never loose connection and my devices do not drop from the network anymore with a 50/5 continouslly.
post #179 of 534 Old 10-13-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeylwilson75 View Post

Ben did you get your problem fixed. I had the same issues as you and once i figured out how to get my device into bridge mode and returned to my old router my problems went away. I never loose connection and my devices do not drop from the network anymore with a 50/5 continouslly.

No, but I haven't really tried to work on cascading my routers because I just haven't had time. I did get the modem into bridge mode, but still had issues using it with multiple routers. I really just want a good Gateway device like the Arris. It's a real pain in the ass for my work to, because I'll do a computer repair and start applying updates and patches only to have to constantly engage the connection. Time Warner tech has been worthless, so I know I'm pretty much on my own to resolve it.

post #180 of 534 Old 10-13-2011, 07:32 PM

Well that sucks I really hoped that I had stumbled on something that would help you out. The UBEE router they gave me (4 of them) just plain sucked. I stumbled on a website to turn the UBEE into a bridge and I am now using my linksys e4200 and all is fine. The UBEE would stay connected but anytime I tried anything with large file sizes it would freeze up and nothing would work...had to cycle the power just to get it working. Plus with the E4200 now I can go back to having dual bands again. Well hope you get it figured out I was pulling my hair out because I wanted the speed but hated the inconsistency but all is good now.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page