Time Warner Cable - Signature Home Service - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 539 Old 10-13-2011, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeylwilson75 View Post

Well that sucks I really hoped that I had stumbled on something that would help you out. The UBEE router they gave me (4 of them) just plain sucked. I stumbled on a website to turn the UBEE into a bridge and I am now using my linksys e4200 and all is fine. The UBEE would stay connected but anytime I tried anything with large file sizes it would freeze up and nothing would work...had to cycle the power just to get it working. Plus with the E4200 now I can go back to having dual bands again. Well hope you get it figured out I was pulling my hair out because I wanted the speed but hated the inconsistency but all is good now.

Yea, I love the speed - but the overall experience has been horrible. ALL their modem/gateways for D3 (both Ubee and Motorola) have this issue where you cannot hold the DNS. They absolutely REFUSE to address it. They now ignore my phone calls as well. I put in a call TWO billing cycles ago to the area supervisor about getting an Arris Gateway and never even got a call back. I really want to drop the whole package because of the BS, but I utilize the speed during peak service. It's a LOT faster to download a Windows Service Pack on Wideband (even if I have to babysit the machine). It just irks me that they can't or won't make it right all while touting the Signature Service aspect and how it's supposed to be top notch.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 539 Old 10-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
margoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Greenwich Village, Manhattan, NYC
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ben,

Is it possible it's some head-end configuration problem? I'm in NYC, and I have no problems with my internet. I use the TW router in bridge mode and use my existing Netgear router to handle my cabled internet and WiFi.

-barry
margoba is offline  
post #183 of 539 Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by margoba View Post

Ben,

Is it possible it's some head-end configuration problem? I'm in NYC, and I have no problems with my internet. I use the TW router in bridge mode and use my existing Netgear router to handle my cabled internet and WiFi.

-barry

I'm sure I can cure it using Bridge mode. My main point is - I shouldn't have to. I'm paying for a Router with Wireless N and I still have to use my own gear? Fine, but shouldn't I get a discount since they can't provide me with the level of service I pay for? I guess that's my main point. I've shown and notified them about the DNS issues with their equipment and it's fallen on deaf ears.

Bottom line is for $200 a month I have to reconfigure my entire network to work with their equipment.

UPDATE:

Well, after a few hours of rewiring my whole network and upgrading the firmware on my routers/switches (I have three in the network) I am happy to report that I have solved the issues plaguing the Time Warner equipment. My Motorola Modem is now in Bridge mode running to a router, which runs off to my wireless access point in the living room (center of the house) and also to another switch in my office. I tested everything out and no more loss of the DNS after re-boot or upon start up. Also, my mobile device locked right on and is getting far better speed. So, I was able to utilize some old Linksys BEFSR41 Routers and my trusty old WRT54G as a switch and access point. Sure, I only get Wireless G, not N - but it didn't cost me anything extra.


Here is the result at my Office PC running through an extra switch.



Here is a test from my iPhone


8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #184 of 539 Old 10-14-2011, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Satch Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Metro-Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

I'm sure I can cure it using Bridge mode. My main point is - I shouldn't have to. I'm paying for a Router with Wireless N and I still have to use my own gear? Fine, but shouldn't I get a discount since they can't provide me with the level of service I pay for? I guess that's my main point. I've shown and notified them about the DNS issues with their equipment and it's fallen on deaf ears.

Bottom line is for $200 a month I have to reconfigure my entire network to work with their equipment.

UPDATE:

Well, after a few hours of rewiring my whole network and upgrading the firmware on my routers/switches (I have three in the network) I am happy to report that I have solved the issues plaguing the Time Warner equipment. My Motorola Modem is now in Bridge mode running to a router, which runs off to my wireless access point in the living room (center of the house) and also to another switch in my office. I tested everything out and no more loss of the DNS after re-boot or upon start up. Also, my mobile device locked right on and is getting far better speed. So, I was able to utilize some old Linksys BEFSR41 Routers and my trusty old WRT54G as a switch and access point. Sure, I only get Wireless G, not N - but it didn't cost me anything extra.


Here is the result at my Office PC running through an extra switch.



Here is a test from my iPhone


Great Ben!!!!

So are your LAN computers holding the connection when you reboot and everything? If all of this holds, and there are other Signature Home/Wideband users with the crappy equipment issues that you have had since late May, what do they need to do to get and keep a reliable connection?

Jack

PS. What is the culprit within TWC's equipment that they need to update or replace to stop your nightmare from reoccurring to other Wideband/Signature Home Customers using TWC devices?

Arris-DCX3510M DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
Satch Man is offline  
post #185 of 539 Old 10-14-2011, 12:52 PM
 
Daye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i say the culprit is those dumb moca filters
Daye is offline  
post #186 of 539 Old 10-15-2011, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well, I still have to see how the overall network performs. I just know that it's been ok so far by disabling the LAN and Wireless on the Motorola Modem. I still find it hard to believe that I'm the only one in my area experiencing these issues.

Daye, I cant say the MoCa filters are causing it because the modem always holds the connection (always has since I isolated the drop). It was always a problem with the device side of the modems LAN & Wireless. I'm guessing a firmware issue of some kind. Everytime I called in to report an outage the always claimed the connection was fine "on their end". I suppose if all a person had connected was one device the would never notice the issue.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #187 of 539 Old 10-15-2011, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Satch Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Metro-Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Well, I still have to see how the overall network performs. I just know that it's been ok so far by disabling the LAN and Wireless on the Motorola Modem. I still find it hard to believe that I'm the only one in my area experiencing these issues.

Daye, I cant say the MoCa filters are causing it because the modem always holds the connection (always has since I isolated the drop). It was always a problem with the device side of the modems LAN & Wireless. I'm guessing a firmware issue of some kind. Everytime I called in to report an outage the always claimed the connection was fine "on their end". I suppose if all a person had connected was one device the would never notice the issue.

Great points Ben,

People should be able to have many devices on a network that is supposed to be "White Glove Treatment." But for those that have only four things connected, they might not know there is a problem.

I still think it is BS that you can't get $10 off the price for using your own equipment in setup and usage of your network. They can do it for Triple Play, but not for Wideband Packages like Signature Home? Why do they allow it for Road Runner Standard than? Cuz I know we saved $11 a month when I got my own modem/router, and they accepted that, no problem.

Maybe it's just something so incredibly stupid like TWC doesn't know how to do a discount code for Signature Home! LOL! The computer will only accept the $200 or the $230 with all premiums. They OWE you this discount Ben!

Jack

Arris-DCX3510M DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
Satch Man is offline  
post #188 of 539 Old 10-15-2011, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Great points Ben,

People should be able to have many devices on a network that is supposed to be "White Glove Treatment." But for those that have only four things connected, they might not know there is a problem.

I still think it is BS that you can't get $10 off the price for using your own equipment in setup and usage of your network. They can do it for Triple Play, but not for Wideband Packages like Signature Home? Why do they allow it for Road Runner Standard than? Cuz I know we saved $11 a month when I got my own modem/router, and they accepted that, no problem.

Maybe it's just something so incredibly stupid like TWC doesn't know how to do a discount code for Signature Home! LOL! The computer will only accept the $200 or the $230 with all premiums. They OWE you this discount Ben!

Jack

I think it's a divisional thing - I wanted to get my own modem (just a straight D3 modem with no router built in) and was told I couldn't, yet I know in other divisions people are using their own equipment. I was told that they won't support my network as I have it set up to which I replied: "If your equipment work right, I wouldn't need to have this kind of setup".

Basically, if it holds DNS now and works then I'll keep Sig Home. I know that my mobile device(s) like my WRT54G much better as I have not once had to renew the connection to use them. Plus they are about 10 times faster. I just think it's become a joke that Signature Home was suppose to be this high end "white glove" service for tech minded power users yet the service is basically no different than standard as in clueless CSR's (now called PSA's). The techs did good work (other than the non-Sig tech who cut my drop and caused more harm than good, but these issues are not tech related - they ARE EQUIPMENT related. My old Arris Gateway worked flawlessly for 5 YEARS with my routers/switches. It wasn't until the uBee & Motorola equipment was installed that I began having issues.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #189 of 539 Old 10-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Member
 
berniez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Western NY
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Great points Ben,

People should be able to have many devices on a network that is supposed to be "White Glove Treatment." But for those that have only four things connected, they might not know there is a problem.

I still think it is BS that you can't get $10 off the price for using your own equipment in setup and usage of your network. They can do it for Triple Play, but not for Wideband Packages like Signature Home? Why do they allow it for Road Runner Standard than? Cuz I know we saved $11 a month when I got my own modem/router, and they accepted that, no problem.

Maybe it's just something so incredibly stupid like TWC doesn't know how to do a discount code for Signature Home! LOL! The computer will only accept the $200 or the $230 with all premiums. They OWE you this discount Ben!

Jack

I am curious about triple play modems. I have triple play in my house. I use my own wireless router. I have a TW Arris modem which supports my phone and internet in one box. I am obviously paying for it somehow. Which cable modem are you using that you purchased that will support this. Before I went to triple play. I used my own cable modem and router setup for internet and received a discount. I would prefer to buy my own modem setup if I can as long as TW will let me do it and give me a discount to do it.
Thanks
Bernie
berniez is offline  
post #190 of 539 Old 10-15-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rdgcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salisbury,NC
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

I think it's a divisional thing - I wanted to get my own modem (just a straight D3 modem with no router built in) and was told I couldn't, yet I know in other divisions people are using their own equipment. I was told that they won't support my network as I have it set up to which I replied: "If your equipment work right, I wouldn't need to have this kind of setup".

Basically, if it holds DNS now and works then I'll keep Sig Home. I know that my mobile device(s) like my WRT54G much better as I have not once had to renew the connection to use them. Plus they are about 10 times faster. I just think it's become a joke that Signature Home was suppose to be this high end "white glove" service for tech minded power users yet the service is basically no different than standard as in clueless CSR's (now called PSA's). The techs did good work (other than the non-Sig tech who cut my drop and caused more harm than good, but these issues are not tech related - they ARE EQUIPMENT related. My old Arris Gateway worked flawlessly for 5 YEARS with my routers/switches. It wasn't until the uBee & Motorola equipment was installed that I began having issues.

Some equipment (especially older units) can't handle the 50/5 speeds untill their firmware is updated. When I upgraded to RR Turbo I had all kinds of problems until I upgraded the firmware in my router. When RR Turbo went to 20 down, I had to update again to get FTP to work reliably. 50/5 only required that I disable DOS detection.

It seems that you that you have had a similar experience. My only criticism of TWC in your case is that their techs should have suggested that your firmware might be an issue.

The router folks can't really be blamed. When most of the inexpensive home routers wre designed and tested, very few people had anything approaching 10mb.
rdgcss is offline  
post #191 of 539 Old 10-15-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
All the firmware in my equipment is the most current. TWC applied a firmware update to the uBee modem when I had it, but it made no difference. The installer I was dealing with told me the issues were not limited to just me and this was confirmed by a co-worker. Also, they don't issue all in one Gateway devices which is what I wanted as Arris makes one and it has been qualified by TWC. Instead, they choose to split the line again and use the MTA modem for phone & the D3 modem for Internet. They drop 3db of signal by doing this. The loss of DNS on boot/reboot was never addressed and neither was the loss of wireless on my mobile device. So far, my router to switch to switch seems to be working. I can reboot with loss of connection and my iPhone has a stable consistent connection.

I basically put the Motorola into Bridge and disabled the wireless thereby using it as a modem only. Then I connected it to my router configured as my base IP address. Took a port off that and cascaded it to my wireless router in the living room (set as a switch) which I made the next IP in the cascade. Lastly, I took a second port from the router (IP #1) and ran that to my office router (also set ad a switch) which I set as my third IP in the cascade. Each device so far holds a connection and is accessible via web setup. I'll certainly keep others posted on the situation as it evolves. Now, if TWC comes through with some good Navigator updates then I'll be happy. It seems so far that only Sig Home subs hot the Keyword Search update. I just hope they keep them coming!

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #192 of 539 Old 10-15-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rdgcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salisbury,NC
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

All the firmware in my equipment is the most current. TWC applied a firmware update to the uBee modem when I had it, but it made no difference. The installer I was dealing with told me the issues were not limited to just me and this was confirmed by a co-worker. Also, they don't issue all in one Gateway devices which is what I wanted as Arris makes one and it has been qualified by TWC. Instead, they choose to split the line again and use the MTA modem for phone & the D3 modem for Internet. They drop 3db of signal by doing this. The loss of DNS on boot/reboot was never addressed and neither was the loss of wireless on my mobile device. So far, my router to switch to switch seems to be working. I can reboot with loss of connection and my iPhone has a stable consistent connection.

I basically put the Motorola into Bridge and disabled the wireless thereby using it as a modem only. Then I connected it to my router configured as my base IP address. Took a port off that and cascaded it to my wireless router in the living room (set as a switch) which I made the next IP in the cascade. Lastly, I took a second port from the router (IP #1) and ran that to my office router (also set ad a switch) which I set as my third IP in the cascade. Each device so far holds a connection and is accessible via web setup. I'll certainly keep others posted on the situation as it evolves. Now, if TWC comes through with some good Navigator updates then I'll be happy. It seems so far that only Sig Home subs hot the Keyword Search update. I just hope they keep them coming!

I was referring to the fact that you said in a previous post that as part of getting your system to work you updated the firmware in all your equipment
rdgcss is offline  
post #193 of 539 Old 10-15-2011, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My equipment, yes. The issue has always been TWC's equipment though. I've used the only two devices they claim are available for me to use and both exhibited the same issues without any of my devices hooked up. The router & wireless portions of both TWC Gateway devices had issues and still do. The TWC tech who installed and was dispatched for the trouble calls believes the problem lies within the equipment as well. I hope that clarifies where & what the issue is.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #194 of 539 Old 10-15-2011, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Satch Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Metro-Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniez View Post

I am curious about triple play modems. I have triple play in my house. I use my own wireless router. I have a TW Arris modem which supports my phone and Internet in one box. I am obviously paying for it somehow. Which cable modem are you using that you purchased that will support this. Before I went to triple play. I used my own cable modem and router setup for Internet and received a discount. I would prefer to buy my own modem setup if I can as long as TW will let me do it and give me a discount to do it.
Thanks
Bernie

Sup Bernie?

I don't have Signature Home. But I have known Ben (The creator of this thread) for several years and he knows his stuff! I have been following his issues with Signature Home through this thread several times a week. Thanks again Ben for everything!

I have Triple Play from TWC with Road Runner Wireless with a Lynksys Adapter and Netgear Router. I have a relative who is a computer engineer that set it up for me. We agreed that having my own equipment has worked better than going with TWC's rented stuff.

We were paying $11/a month extra with our other services DVR/Showtime/HBO/Sports Pass, just because of the charge on our bill for "Wireless Home Networking." We are also on a Price Lock Program, which they agreed to renew through something I got in the mail for another two years. (I have about a year left on Price Lock and than will "deal again.")

We asked TWC, "If we take the $11 off our bill for Wireless Networking and use our own equipment, will that rescind our Price Lock Contract or discount rate?" The CSR said absolutely not. The Price Lock applies to the services you have that are locked in place. The rented Wireless Router does not apply to Price Lock. They did go on to say that, yes, they will still come out to check Road Runner issues, BUT if they find a problem, you have to be responsible to replace or fix the modem yourself.

We got Triple Play in August 2007 and Road Runner worked great for about two years. Around the third year I would have to do resets of the modem maybe once or twice every 1-3 months. We took the $11 modem rental charge off by taking TWC's modem and router back to them, and replacing it with the equipment that my relative installed. In the past year, I cannot recall ONE disconnect or Road Runner problem since using my own equipment!

My computer is very old with just Windows XP, (7 years!) Totally unrelated to any Internet or Road Runner problems, just having too much crap on it, we did reinstall Windows and just put on the things I need. We added memory and replaced the keyboard. I also keep up with Anti-Virus and Windows Updates very religiously.

If you have a clean system, and are up-to-date to the best of your computer knowledge and ability, I think that if you can get someone who knows what there doing in setting up a network with your own equipment, or if you are knowledgeable yourself in setting up your network with your own stuff that really can help. And save money too. With that $11 a month off our bill, we are saving $132 a year!

Jack

Arris-DCX3510M DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
Satch Man is offline  
post #195 of 539 Old 10-16-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rdgcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salisbury,NC
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

My equipment, yes. The issue has always been TWC's equipment though. I've used the only two devices they claim are available for me to use and both exhibited the same issues without any of my devices hooked up. The router & wireless portions of both TWC Gateway devices had issues and still do. The TWC tech who installed and was dispatched for the trouble calls believes the problem lies within the equipment as well. I hope that clarifies where & what the issue is.

My intaller put my Motorola in bridge mode (at my request) when he installed Sig Home, he even warned me about DOS. I guess that is why I've never had any problems
rdgcss is offline  
post #196 of 539 Old 10-16-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
That would explain it. I wanted to use the built in router to eliminate/saved one device from the mix. Instead, I have to use three devices for Sig Home to function as it should when ideally I should only need one (minus my other switches). If the Arris Gateway ever becomes available I really want to try it out.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #197 of 539 Old 10-16-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rdgcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salisbury,NC
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

That would explain it. I wanted to use the built in router to eliminate/saved one device from the mix. Instead, I have to use three devices for Sig Home to function as it should when ideally I should only need one (minus my other switches). If the Arris Gateway ever becomes available I really want to try it out.

I have gigabit wireless N VPN router. I need the VPN to access some of my clients networks. I wanted a plain modem from TWC but was told that the only device that they had at the time that supported the 50/5 speeds was the Motorola. I was one of the first in my area to get Sig Home. A few months after a few folks reported getting the Ubee
rdgcss is offline  
post #198 of 539 Old 10-16-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

I have gigabit wireless N VPN router. I need the VPN to access some of my clients networks. I wanted a plain modem from TWC but was told that the only device that they had at the time that supported the 50/5 speeds was the Motorola. I was one of the first in my area to get Sig Home. A few months after a few folks reported getting the Ubee

There are standard D3 modems available which is what I was going to get, but TWC insists I use theirs.You can get them at any local big box store for $99 or online a little cheaper.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #199 of 539 Old 10-17-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rdgcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salisbury,NC
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

There are standard D3 modems available which is what I was going to get, but TWC insists I use theirs.You can get them at any local big box store for $99 or online a little cheaper.

I'll let you "plow the new ground" and get TWC change their ways.
rdgcss is offline  
post #200 of 539 Old 10-17-2011, 06:02 PM
 
Daye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was using my own modem i got it from amazon i think it was a motorola sb6120 but ppl started sayin it was no longer supported by twc an it was outdated an it was kinda crappy so i upgraded to a modem provided by twc the ubee the slowest modem/router ever made

btw i am usin the ubee in nat mode with the firewall an parental controls on an its ok but slow an ya i tried it with everything disabled an in bridge mode it still gets the same speeds no change

could it be my gigabit Nic card thats goin bad maybe thats why the slow speed it is 3 years old an once i bumped the net cable an it said the cable was unplugged but it wasnt i had to jiggle it n it started working again maybe the connector port in back is bad ?
Daye is offline  
post #201 of 539 Old 10-17-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rdgcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salisbury,NC
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daye View Post

i was using my own modem i got it from amazon i think it was a motorola sb6120 but ppl started sayin it was no longer supported by twc an it was outdated an it was kinda crappy so i upgraded to a modem provided by twc the ubee the slowest modem/router ever made

btw i am usin the ubee in nat mode with the firewall an parental controls on an its ok but slow an ya i tried it with everything disabled an in bridge mode it still gets the same speeds no change

could it be my gigabit Nic card thats goin bad maybe thats why the slow speed it is 3 years old an once i bumped the net cable an it said the cable was unplugged but it wasnt i had to jiggle it n it started working again maybe the connector port in back is bad ?

Try a different cable 1st, a lot easier and cheaper. Just make sure it cat 5e or 6
rdgcss is offline  
post #202 of 539 Old 10-24-2011, 12:50 PM
 
Daye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey i called twc to have a line put in for the cable box but now after they did that they messed somethin up cuz cable modem upstream dbmV is at 50.2 be4 it was at 47 will the modem be ok at 50dbmV 1 of our xboxes did disconnect when we were playin an downloading stuff on the pc at the same time also i set up the 8642 to record a show an it recorded something else instead

hey rdgcss we got new cat6a cables an everythings ok now well it was untill the cable guy messed things up again
Daye is offline  
post #203 of 539 Old 10-29-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Satch Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Metro-Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daye View Post

hey i called twc to have a line put in for the cable box but now after they did that they messed somethin up cuz cable modem upstream dbmV is at 50.2 be4 it was at 47 will the modem be ok at 50dbmV 1 of our xboxes did disconnect when we were playin an downloading stuff on the pc at the same time also i set up the 8642 to record a show an it recorded something else instead

hey rdgcss we got new cat6a cables an everythings ok now well it was untill the cable guy messed things up again

It sounds like a fluke,

Watch your downloads and speed for a few days. If they are ok after that, you have nothing to worry about. If you are getting slowdowns that persist, call to report it.

As for the DVR Show, what show did you try to record and what did it record in its place? We need more specific information about the failed recorded program. (i.e show title? Time and Channel? Single Episode or Series Recording?) Thanks!

Jack

Arris-DCX3510M DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
Satch Man is offline  
post #204 of 539 Old 10-31-2011, 11:49 AM
 
Daye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ya i found that section series recording it had some series to record already in there i didnt put them there just deleted them an everythings ok
Daye is offline  
post #205 of 539 Old 10-31-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Had another loss of the DNS server tonight. A router reboot cured it, so I'm monitoring again. It has been far more stable since I reconfigured the network, but if this continues I don't know what else can be done.

Another note is that TWC announced their yearly rate increases in some markets so I'll be watching what happens. With the piss poor reliability and constant Navigator glitches, Sig Home is hardly a deal at the $200 price point. Any increase will certainly make it not worth it.

Apparently digital cable is up to $79 a month as a standalone which is absolutely insane. Also found that TWC is making about $20 profit per digital phone sub. It costs the just over $9 to deliver the service. MagicJack now let's you port your number and is much cheaper.

UPDATE:

Got my rate increase card today. All Cable products except for basic cable are going up. Digital Cable alone is now $75 a month here!!!

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #206 of 539 Old 11-06-2011, 10:59 AM
 
Daye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
something wierd is happening when we are watching a channel thats in english all of a sudden bam the the ppl on screen start speaking spanish it happend in the cable box thats in the living room to is it something tw did ?
Daye is offline  
post #207 of 539 Old 11-07-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Satch Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Metro-Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daye View Post

something weird is happening when we are watching a channel thats in English all of a sudden bam the the ppl on screen start speaking Spanish it happened in the cable box thats in the living room to is it something TW did ?

Try another channel that is known to be in English, just to see if its a fluke. If you are still getting Spanish audio, check your Language/Audio/ and SAP settings to make sure that they are all set to recognize English as the default language.

Jack

Arris-DCX3510M DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
Satch Man is offline  
post #208 of 539 Old 11-07-2011, 02:24 PM
 
Daye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
its set for english when it happens i just turn off the cable box then turn back on an its in english again
Daye is offline  
post #209 of 539 Old 11-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
zetachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Thought I'd jump in here and see if anyone has the same issue as me before I call TW.

Seems my boxes are dropping shows off the record list. I have about 10-12 standard shows i record every week. Seems lately some seem to drop off the list.

For example Glee and CSI NY are supposed to record every week. Well last two weeks were missed and they are no longer on the list. It's happened with a number of shows. I also noticed that some shows that are scheduled on the actual box sometimes are not on MYDVR on line.
zetachi is online now  
post #210 of 539 Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetachi View Post

Thought I'd jump in here and see if anyone has the same issue as me before I call TW.

Seems my boxes are dropping shows off the record list. I have about 10-12 standard shows i record every week. Seems lately some seem to drop off the list.

For example Glee and CSI NY are supposed to record every week. Well last two weeks were missed and they are no longer on the list. It's happened with a number of shows. I also noticed that some shows that are scheduled on the actual box sometimes are not on MYDVR on line.

I've posted about this in the Navigator Thread. I am also having issues with missed series recordings, but the show is still in the Series Manager. Sometimes the box just doesn't record a series and the only way I can get it back is to delete the series and add it all over again. I have had numerous missed recordings with the Navigator software. You can call them, but it probably won't do any good. I'd bet all the CSR will tell you is either A) A box reboot or B) Send a tech out to replace the box. There is absolutely nothing they can do for the poor performance of the software other than issue patches or updated which are sporadic and varied from division to division.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off