Time Warner Cable - Signature Home Service - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 534 Old 01-01-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniez View Post

As prices for cable get out of control, at some point there will need to be a lot more tiers set up. When I was using an 8 ft c-band dish, I could do just that. Buy only what I wanted. That system is now long gone as programming can't be bought for c-band any more. The cable companies probably have the ability to set up ala carte. The problem with channels like ESPN is they are tied with Disney and others. If you want Disney you need to get ESPN also as most supplier companies package their channels together and force the cable company to put them on a basic tier. The cable companies only out is to not buy those packages from the supplier. I am hoping in the future there are a lot of tiers set up so I can buy just the bundle I want. When cable was fairly cheap, it did not matter. Now it is more than my water, electric and gas bill combined. I don't know what choice you have other than to cut the cable and use your outdoor antenna and some online stuff. The small dish companies are no better. The government really needs to step in and force all the providers to make ala carte available. I personally only watch about 10 channels or which 5 are cable only. For that i am forced to buy 150 channels. Pretty crazy.
Bernie

Ala Carte is an ideal, but at this point I'd be happy with the feds banishing the practice of program tying. Companies buy up and monopolize channels they force MSO's into "take it or leave it" negotiations. Honestly, the MSO holds the power. If Dish, DirecTV and the Cable Companies formed a partnership where they all simultaneously told the content providers to go pound sand then they could dictate better rates. The content providers NEED cable carriage to exist.

At the very keast, MSO's should be able to dump all sports programming into a "Sports Tier". This would immediatly lower people's bills by $15-20 a month. Just ESPN and MSG make up about $9 of your bill now.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 534 Old 01-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Member
 
berniez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Western NY
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Ala Carte is an ideal, but at this point I'd be happy with the feds banishing the practice of program tying. Companies buy up and monopolize channels they force MSO's into "take it or leave it" negotiations. Honestly, the MSO holds the power. If Dish, DirecTV and the Cable Companies formed a partnership where they all simultaneously told the content providers to go pound sand then they could dictate better rates. The content providers NEED cable carriage to exist.

At the very keast, MSO's should be able to dump all sports programming into a "Sports Tier". This would immediatly lower people's bills by $15-20 a month. Just ESPN and MSG make up about $9 of your bill now.

That is exactly the big problem. Companies like ESPN/Disney force the cable companies to buy their package and put it on a basic tier. Otherwise, they can't buy it at all. They will not allow it on a separate tier. That is the reason there is no NFL Network on TW. NFL Network wants their programming on the basic tier or no sale. TW told them to shove it. That one is easy because it is standalone. Where ESPN is multiple channels that are not just sports. As prices get out of control, something has to give. I just don't know who will force the issue. You can always cut the cable. But that is not the real answer. STBs are totally addressable. Getting congress to force ala carte is the only way. I would rather pay $50.00 for 10 stations I watch rather that $100.00 for 150 stations I don't watch.
berniez is offline  
post #243 of 534 Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Satch Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Metro-Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniez View Post

That is exactly the big problem. Companies like ESPN/Disney force the cable companies to buy their package and put it on a basic tier. Otherwise, they can't buy it at all. They will not allow it on a separate tier. That is the reason there is no NFL Network on TW. NFL Network wants their programming on the basic tier or no sale. TW told them to shove it. That one is easy because it is standalone. Where ESPN is multiple channels that are not just sports. As prices get out of control, something has to give. I just don't know who will force the issue. You can always cut the cable. But that is not the real answer. STBs are totally addressable. Getting congress to force ala carte is the only way. I would rather pay $50.00 for 10 stations I watch rather that $100.00 for 150 stations I don't watch.

I did find out that NFL Network dropped it's Basic/Cable/Standard Service demand with TWC, but they could not agree on a Price for the Digital Value Package. They should put that channel into the Sports Pass Package, but won't, because not enough people subscribe to it. We get Sports Pass, because a family member loves Tennis Channel. But if Tennis Channel were moved, I would drop Sports Pass.

I think Ala Carte sounds good in theory but not in practice. Because everyone will insist that their stations are better than everybody eles' and the MSO' would just put total crap on basic service. Like antenna stuff for $25 a month. Let's say a Sports Thing is $35 a month. (Sports would be the most expensive of the ala-carte channels. The athletes and station owners would see to that.) A Digital Cable Package, $25 a month. Each premium movie channel say $15 a month. All ala-carte. Your total without tax and franchise fees plus other crap is $100, right there.

$50 for Internet, $40 for Phone. We are back to the $190 cable TV bill. My belief is that they would structure the packages so that you would have to pick three of them, just to get what you wanted. I don't think you would be able to find everything you wanted for $35 a month. The powers that be, won't go back to 1990's type rates.

I just do the Triple Play thing and work out a new deal every 1-2 years. I can drop my Premium Movie Channels, (at least one) unless they can keep me close to my current rate when my discount expires.

I also oppose government intervention, because the feds have enough problems with politics and the economy as it is. The last thing they are going to care about is fixing cable issues.

Jack

PS. TWC I still think gives you the best deals/discounts and will be (usually) willing to work out new deals when they expire. The competition however, has better and more modern equipment and in many cases, better customer service, (more knowledgeable.) TWC skill and knowledge varies too much from division to division.

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

Satch Man is offline  
post #244 of 534 Old 01-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Member
 
txfeinbergs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

I solved the random dropping by isolating the incoming drop to the modems. They held connection more stable after that. I first had a second drop and then experimented with just tapping the main drop. Putting a TAP in front of my amp worked for the actual connection drops to the headend. However, I still to this day have connectivity issues related to the modems. My mobile devices never hold a connection and constantly need interaction to connect and my LAN connected PC's always lose the DNS on start up or reboot thereby requiring a manually restart of the adapter. Time warner has no clue on this and are basically ignoring me. Even with Signature Home, it seems like you are now on your own from troubleshooting and solving any advanced issues. I have actively begun looking at other providers or a downgrade back to standard service as their DOCSIS 3.0 equipment leaves a lot to be desired. I love the speeds when it works, but other than that, it's a pain. I've just been too busy to rip through all my network devices and get the Bridge to work properly. I want to establish my own network as it was before using the TWC Gateway as a modem only.




I'm using the wired routers as switches. There is the primary right at the modem which feeds the Kids LAN and the second port feeds my living room which has 3 devices, then third port feeds my office where my main LAN connected PC is set with open pots for when I have customers PC's to service and need a connection. It's a simple switch cascade with each router/switch getting it's own IP address.

Google search on my error message brought me here. Same modem as you guys, Time Warner Cable in Allen Texas. 30 Mbps plan. My modem will crash about 4 times a day, usually when using Apple related devices (iPad, iphones). I am actually starting to think it is a problem on Apples end. I will keep reading through this forum though for any insight as I have not made it all the way through yet, but right now, this is a pain in the ass.

Thu Jan 05 21:21:10 2012 Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.9;CM-MAC=2c:9e:5f:e0:40:9c;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:32:79:14;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Thu Jan 05 21:21:10 2012 Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.8;CM-MAC=2c:9e:5f:e0:40:9c;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:32:79:14;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Warning (5) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=2c:9e:5f:e0:40:9c;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:32:79:14;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Thu Jan 05 21:20:20 2012 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=2c:9e:5f:e0:40:9c;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
Thu Jan 05 21:19:47 2012 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=2c:9e:5f:e0:40:9c;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:32:79:14;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Thu Jan 05 20:11:17 2012 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period;CM-MAC=2c:9e:5f:e0:40:9c;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:32:79:14;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
txfeinbergs is offline  
post #245 of 534 Old 01-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Member
 
txfeinbergs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

There is patch update coming soon for the Motorola SBG6580, roll-out is around 10-15% at first to see if there any problems and the it will progress out in larger percentage to different systems.

Rob

How can you check to see if there is a firmware upgrade. I was digging through the modem settings via the web client and can't find one anywhere.
txfeinbergs is offline  
post #246 of 534 Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xnappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hi All,

I am considering whole home.. And possibly signature home.

I have my own MoCA network that I definitely need to retain - does anyone know what MoCA channel TWC is using? If I do not go the signature home route, I would try just getting my stuff out of the way and hook it back up after they leave.

If I *do* go the signature home route(I really feel no need for faster internet, it will come down to price), am I correct that:

1. They put a MoCA filter at the POE, no where else
2. The Wideband router is separate from the phone modem
3. The Wideband router is easy to configure just to be a modem so I can use my own router
4. Doing #3 will also solve the stability issues everyone is having (or at least might)

Thanks!
xnappo

[EDIT] After looking at the TWC site, I now see the same thing as OP. I am paying $155 for modem/phone/TV with HBO, cablecard(Tivo) and one converter. Adding two DVRs and removing the cablecard and converter is $47.50! Cheaper to do Signature Home... But then I have to deal with these nasty modem problems!
xnappo is offline  
post #247 of 534 Old 01-05-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Hi All,

I am considering whole home.. And possibly signature home.

If I *do* go the signature home route(I really feel no need for faster internet, it will come down to price), am I correct that:

1. They put a MoCA filter at the POE, no where else
2. The Wideband router is separate from the phone modem
3. The Wideband router is easy to configure just to be a modem so I can use my own router
4. Doing #3 will also solve the stability issues everyone is having (or at least might)

Thanks!
xnappo

1) They put a filter at the POE and at each none MoCa device. IE: The only legs unfiltered are the DVR's on the WH Network.

2) Yes, I have two separate devices. However, depending on division and equipment availability - TWC is now using a uBee Gateway with Phone (Albany is reporting these) and they have qualified the Arris Gateway (per Arris, but no word on it's deployment or availability).

3) Yes, if you have more than one LAN/Wired connected device or are using any mobile devices with the TWC provided modem it will avoid massive frustration an issues by going with your own equipment. I was never able to get resolution from TWC as to the constant DNS issues or the loss of connectivity via the wireless. I can honestly say if I wasn't tech savvy and didn't have the knowledge to assign my three routers IP's setting up my own mini Intranet that I would have canceled Sig Home over the issues. The issue is solely their equipment and the one firmware update they pushed to my uBee modem (when I had it) did nothing. I still get the occasional drop out and a simple router re-boot usually fixes it. I chalk it up to the speeds as I'm using old BEF41 routers and a WRT54G WiFi B wireless router because I couldn't justify the expense of going to all new ones.

If you need help setting up your network, just PM me or post here and I'll be happy to assist.

One note, if you are coming from Tivo you will probably despise the Navigator software. It's TWC's weakest link. The whole home is sometimes laggy and the guide itself is pretty slow. I'm basically tolerating it at this time. I personally wish Moxi or Tivo would be able to release a version that works with VOD as that is the main reason I keep it. We do use the VOD quite a bit. That said, I'm watching other providers to see what they are doing and looking at building a custom HTPC running Win7MCE - that's come at about a $1k price tag though to build it how I want!

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #248 of 534 Old 01-05-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rdgcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salisbury,NC
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have had Sig Home for almost a year. It has always been very speedy even when accessing the other DVR. About 2 weeks ago I turned on the down stairs DVR and TV. It came up on channel 1, usually a sign that there was a firmware update. Checked diagnostics and could see no change. The DVR was slow as molasses, accessing the bedroom DVR was even slower. I thought, this is what everyone else is talking about. The next night everything was back to it's normall speedy self. Didn't do a reboot or anything, go figure.

8642HDC boxes
rdgcss is offline  
post #249 of 534 Old 01-05-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xnappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

1) They put a filter at the POE and at each none MoCa device. IE: The only legs unfiltered are the DVR's on the WH Network.

That seems really odd - why would they do that I wonder? Not sure exactly what you mean - did they go to each unused outlet and put a filter on the jack? Behind that wall? Or just something at the POE using splitters(like splitter with one leg filtered and connected to all non-DVR jacks and the other side to DVR jacks)?

At any rate - is there anything stopping me from removing the filters other than the POE filter?

Quote:


2) Yes, I have two separate devices. However, depending on division and equipment availability - TWC is now using a uBee Gateway with Phone (Albany is reporting these) and they have qualified the Arris Gateway (per Arris, but no word on it's deployment or availability).

Okay, thanks.

Quote:


3) Yes, if you have more than one LAN/Wired connected device or are using any mobile devices with the TWC provided modem it will avoid massive frustration an issues by going with your own equipment. [...]

Thanks.

Quote:


One note, if you are coming from Tivo you will probably despise the Navigator software. It's TWC's weakest link. The whole home is sometimes laggy and the guide itself is pretty slow. I'm basically tolerating it at this time. I personally wish Moxi or Tivo would be able to release a version that works with VOD as that is the main reason I keep it. We do use the VOD quite a bit. That said, I'm watching other providers to see what they are doing and looking at building a custom HTPC running Win7MCE - that's come at about a $1k price tag though to build it how I want!

So some background on me - I have been following Navigator for a LONG time. I jumped to TiVO back when then switch from SARA broke eSATA and the drives were tiny.

Of course - the reason I want to switch from TiVO is actually mostly TWCs doing(I know you are shocked). Their insistence on setting the copy protect flag on everything except the locals makes TiVO multi-room impossible. And having two TiVOs is very expensive (my family is getting to the point where we really need a 2nd DVR and more tuners). The SDV solution (tuning adapter) is also painful - it is better than it was but still glitchy as heck. Finally, the amount of VOD content is actually somewhat compelling now, unlike when I switched 3-4 years ago.

I have also looked into the Ceton solution - however the lag with channel changes when watching live TV on the extenders would have a low WAF, and still have to deal with SDV and no VOD.

Sigh. I really don't like any of the solutions. What I really want is a TiVO Premiere Elite with a multi-room extender and for Tru2Way to actually exist outside of white papers... Wish Moxi didn't get out of the business too!

xnappo
xnappo is offline  
post #250 of 534 Old 01-06-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

That seems really odd - why would they do that I wonder? Not sure exactly what you mean - did they go to each unused outlet and put a filter on the jack? Behind that wall? Or just something at the POE using splitters(like splitter with one leg filtered and connected to all non-DVR jacks and the other side to DVR jacks)?

At any rate - is there anything stopping me from removing the filters other than the POE filter?


Okay, thanks.


Thanks.


I have an 8 way distribution that is home run. I will be rewiring it once my new amp comes in because TWC replaced (IE: f*cked up my old gear) with a separate splitter and amp. What they did was filter each leg of the splitter as well as the input. The only legs they didn't filter were the ones that have the DVR's on them. The system was working far better before they rigged there contraption which basically does nothing except amp the signal 15db then through the splitter which drops drop 12db. In order to solve the line drop, I had to isolate the cable modem and phone modem off a tap and then split them again because they don't have a single device with MTA built in.

The entire process of getting Sig Home installed up to the point where I fixed it myself was a nightmare and fiasco. I wish I just started the troubleshooting from the get go. I had a decent tech (Daryl), but others they sent were frigging oblivious (and no these were NOT contractors!)

Anyway, they claim the other filters are to keep none MoCa devices from interfering with the DVR's. If you get it, I would suggest taking out your MoCa network and redoing everything after the install. Even though the Sig Home techs are supposed to be specially trained, I think they won't know what to do with an existing network.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #251 of 534 Old 01-06-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rdgcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salisbury,NC
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

I have an 8 way distribution that is home run. I will be rewiring it once my new amp comes in because TWC replaced (IE: f*cked up my old gear) with a separate splitter and amp. What they did was filter each leg of the splitter as well as the input. The only legs they didn't filter were the ones that have the DVR's on them. The system was working far better before they rigged there contraption which basically does nothing except amp the signal 15db then through the splitter which drops drop 12db. In order to solve the line drop, I had to isolate the cable modem and phone modem off a tap and then split them again because they don't have a single device with MTA built in.

The entire process of getting Sig Home installed up to the point where I fixed it myself was a nightmare and fiasco. I wish I just started the troubleshooting from the get go. I had a decent tech (Daryl), but others they sent were frigging oblivious (and no these were NOT contractors!)

Anyway, they claim the other filters are to keep none MoCa devices from interfering with the DVR's. If you get it, I would suggest taking out your MoCa network and redoing everything after the install. Even though the Sig Home techs are supposed to be specially trained, I think they won't know what to do with an existing network.

My line from the street has a 2 way splitter, 1 leg to the the 2 modems, the other to a filter and then to a 4 way powered splitter. Filters on the 2 TVs with no DVR
rdgcss is offline  
post #252 of 534 Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xnappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

The entire process of getting Sig Home installed up to the point where I fixed it myself was a nightmare and fiasco. I wish I just started the troubleshooting from the get go. I had a decent tech (Daryl), but others they sent were frigging oblivious (and no these were NOT contractors!)

Hi Ben,

Thanks a lot for all the information. Part of me wants to jump in in some masochistic desire to participate in debug/support of other users - however you have pretty much convinced me to wait a bit(grass not so much greener). My Tivo subscription isn't over until August - I think I am going to wait and see if they come out with a multi-room solution between now and then. Signature home 'white glove' sounds good, but personally I don't want them in my house. I want a connection from the curb, then support for the equipment *I* hook up how I see fit.

Will keep up with this and the Navigator thread to see how things progress.

xnappo
xnappo is offline  
post #253 of 534 Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Hi Ben,

Thanks a lot for all the information. Part of me wants to jump in in some masochistic desire to participate in debug/support of other users - however you have pretty much convinced me to wait a bit(grass not so much greener). My Tivo subscription isn't over until August - I think I am going to wait and see if they come out with a multi-room solution between now and then. Signature home 'white glove' sounds good, but personally I don't want them in my house. I want a connection from the curb, then support for the equipment *I* hook up how I see fit.

Will keep up with this and the Navigator thread to see how things progress.

xnappo

"White Glove" just means faster service calls and no hold times on the phone. It doesn't necessarily mean better techs or phone support. Keep in mind that a proctologist also wears white gloves.

I mainly went with Sig Home because I wanted Whole House DVR and the price to add just that was about the same as moving into Sig Home with Wideband and extra phone features. Whole Home has been kind of a let down in that there have been no real updates to it other than remote deletion. It's still laggy when viewing remote content (but Navigator is laggy all around) and there still is no Series Management across the multiple DVR's thus I constantly end up with duplicate recordings wasting a free tuner. It has real potential, but once again TWC seems content with it. The Wideband speeds are nice for the amount of uploading/downloading I do and that is mainly the reason why I tolerate the service at this point. The last few Navigator updates haven't really brought anything useful other than Keyword Search (which is implemented poorly). I'll re-assess my options once again this spring.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #254 of 534 Old 01-07-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rdgcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salisbury,NC
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Hi Ben,

Thanks a lot for all the information. Part of me wants to jump in in some masochistic desire to participate in debug/support of other users - however you have pretty much convinced me to wait a bit(grass not so much greener). My Tivo subscription isn't over until August - I think I am going to wait and see if they come out with a multi-room solution between now and then. Signature home 'white glove' sounds good, but personally I don't want them in my house. I want a connection from the curb, then support for the equipment *I* hook up how I see fit.

Will keep up with this and the Navigator thread to see how things progress.

xnappo

The problem is with the way whole house DVR gets setup. Signal strength is checked. Both DVRs are installed, configured and verified to function correctly. Then the tech goes to his van and logs into the head-end. Selects the Ids for the 2 DVRs and tells the system to link the 2 together. Both DVRs reboot and they can then "see" each other. Doubt that they can figure out a way to get this to happen with a customer install.
rdgcss is offline  
post #255 of 534 Old 01-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Newbie
 
hbrown19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfeinbergs View Post

Google search on my error message brought me here. Same modem as you guys, Time Warner Cable in Allen Texas. 30 Mbps plan. My modem will crash about 4 times a day, usually when using Apple related devices (iPad, iphones). I am actually starting to think it is a problem on Apples end. I will keep reading through this forum though for any insight as I have not made it all the way through yet, but right now, this is a pain in the ass.

Thu Jan 05 21:21:10 2012 Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.9;CM-MAC=2c:9e:5f:e0:40:9c;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:32:79:14;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Thu Jan 05 21:21:10 2012 Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.8;CM-MAC=2c:9e:5f:e0:40:9c;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:32:79:14;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Warning (5) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=2c:9e:5f:e0:40:9c;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:32:79:14;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Thu Jan 05 21:20:20 2012 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=2c:9e:5f:e0:40:9c;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
Thu Jan 05 21:19:47 2012 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=2c:9e:5f:e0:40:9c;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:32:79:14;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Thu Jan 05 20:11:17 2012 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period;CM-MAC=2c:9e:5f:e0:40:9c;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:32:79:14;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

txfeinbergs, don't feel bad it's not Apple products screwing up TWC service, it TWC and Morotola products screwing up. I also live in Allen, TX, just got Sig Srv Sat (1/14) and have had nothing but issues. Took 12 hrs for one of my DVRs to register, my modem has been dropping out all day today. Starting digging into the whole "Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.9" error as well, which led me here. I have all Windows desktops, laptops, Android Phones, and X-boxes hanging off my network, no Apple products. When my network does stay up, its fast alright (52Mbs), but my ping sigs to quote.yahoo.com went from 32ms on average before the upgrade, to 150+ms. Don't have time to dig into this until next weekend, and after being on the phone with TW for 30 mins today, I can say I am NOT a happy camper with TWC.
hbrown19 is offline  
post #256 of 534 Old 01-16-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rdgcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salisbury,NC
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrown19 View Post

txfeinbergs, don't feel bad it's not Apple products screwing up TWC service, it TWC and Morotola products screwing up. I also live in Allen, TX, just got Sig Srv Sat (1/14) and have had nothing but issues. Took 12 hrs for one of my DVRs to register, my modem has been dropping out all day today. Starting digging into the whole "Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.9" error as well, which led me here. I have all Windows desktops, laptops, Android Phones, and X-boxes hanging off my network, no Apple products. When my network does stay up, its fast alright (52Mbs), but my ping sigs to quote.yahoo.com went from 32ms on average before the upgrade, to 150+ms. Don't have time to dig into this until next weekend, and after being on the phone with TW for 30 mins today, I can say I am NOT a happy camper with TWC.

Madeviate DOS detection is turned off everywhere in all parts of your network. With these new speeds a lot of devices, including the TWC modem/router, think that the device is being attacked
rdgcss is offline  
post #257 of 534 Old 01-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Newbie
 
whatsinthecase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to know if it makes a difference which cable jack ( I have two) that my splitter with the phone and and modem goes too. It's now connected to the one in the bedroom and I want to move it to the living room. Can I just swap the two or do I need a tech to come out. Thanks!!
whatsinthecase is offline  
post #258 of 534 Old 01-20-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsinthecase View Post

I need to know if it makes a difference which cable jack ( I have two) that my splitter with the phone and and modem goes too. It's now connected to the one in the bedroom and I want to move it to the living room. Can I just swap the two or do I need a tech to come out. Thanks!!

Are you a Sig Home customer or have Whole Home DVR? If you have Whole Home DVR, you want to be careful about what you move around because the line filters will cause certain devices not to work. You can do it and move the filters with any other equipment or if you are in doubt/unsure call and schedule a truck roll. If you provide a few more details we might be able to assist in doing this on your own.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #259 of 534 Old 01-20-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xnappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Are you a Sig Home customer or have Whole Home DVR? If you have Whole Home DVR, you want to be careful about what you move around because the line filters will cause certain devices not to work. You can do it and move the filters with any other equipment or if you are in doubt/unsure call and schedule a truck roll. If you provide a few more details we might be able to assist in doing this on your own.

The filters filter above 1GHz, so moving the modem to MoCA filtered location will not cause a problem, moving the cable box on the other hand would.

Personally I would take out ANY filters they installed other than the one at POE. You get slight signal loss any time the cable goes through a connector.

xnappo
xnappo is offline  
post #260 of 534 Old 01-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Newbie
 
whatsinthecase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Are you a Sig Home customer or have Whole Home DVR? If you have Whole Home DVR, you want to be careful about what you move around because the line filters will cause certain devices not to work. You can do it and move the filters with any other equipment or if you are in doubt/unsure call and schedule a truck roll. If you provide a few more details we might be able to assist in doing this on your own.

I am a sig home with the whole home DVR, I just have two. One setup in the bedroom with all the phone and modem stuff and then one in the living room thats just cable to DVR. I just want to swap the setup.
whatsinthecase is offline  
post #261 of 534 Old 01-20-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsinthecase View Post

I am a sig home with the whole home DVR, I just have two. One setup in the bedroom with all the phone and modem stuff and then one in the living room thats just cable to DVR. I just want to swap the setup.

This is what I was getting at. xnappo hit the nail on the head too. You can't just move MoCa connected devices (IE: Whole Home boxes around because if they get put on a filter they will not work. The modems should actually be on a separated leg apart from the MoCa network as far as I'm concerned. I had nothing but issues when the modems were connected within the MoCa network. Now, technically they should work as they are outside the frequency range but I found that they had issues hold connections. It wasn't until I convinced TWC to run a second drop and then I subsequently isolated the modems (both phone and wideband were dropping) by splitting them off ahead of the Cable outlets with MoCa that I gained better reliability.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #262 of 534 Old 01-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Newbie
 
av_n00b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

I have an 8 way distribution that is home run. I will be rewiring it once my new amp comes in because TWC replaced (IE: f*cked up my old gear) with a separate splitter and amp. What they did was filter each leg of the splitter as well as the input. The only legs they didn't filter were the ones that have the DVR's on them. The system was working far better before they rigged there contraption which basically does nothing except amp the signal 15db then through the splitter which drops drop 12db. In order to solve the line drop, I had to isolate the cable modem and phone modem off a tap and then split them again because they don't have a single device with MTA built in.

The entire process of getting Sig Home installed up to the point where I fixed it myself was a nightmare and fiasco. I wish I just started the troubleshooting from the get go. I had a decent tech (Daryl), but others they sent were frigging oblivious (and no these were NOT contractors!)

Anyway, they claim the other filters are to keep none MoCa devices from interfering with the DVR's. If you get it, I would suggest taking out your MoCa network and redoing everything after the install. Even though the Sig Home techs are supposed to be specially trained, I think they won't know what to do with an existing network.

Sorry I only read a few of the first pages you posted. And now the last page.


So you have a house amp connected to your house? So its:

Tap>drop>ground block>house amp>8-way splitter>coax to devices?


I can tell you the major issues you have been having have more to do with that amp than anything.

Amp's are band-aids when it comes to cable/internet services. At Comcast where I worked as a tech for many years. ALL cable service providers use them as a band aid.....not a solution.

And you would not believe how many ebay, radio shack, best buy amps I took out of houses because they think its this magic item that will make everything better.

But most people don't know, these are amps......GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT.


There will always be noise, ingress, whatever you want to call it on a system. With an amp you're only making it worse.


Ive installed cable in Oprah's vacation house where I live. Its bigger than a Hampton hotel. And not a single amp was used.....its all in how the tech thinks about things and how you run it.


Also, traps (or as you call them, filters) are bad. Always have been always will be. They were never meant for the elements, but most techs put them in the elements and they go bad fast. And they get recycled. Never tested to ensure they work.

I had a trap that was blocking everything in the 500mhz freq range.....just 500-598mhz. For no reason, and it was an hbo trap too.


idk, kinda bored and registered to post this.....most likely not helpful, but whatever.


If you ever have any questions lmk. I have worked for 2 cable companies and multiple systems.

CT-4 at Comcast
CST-2 at Knology
av_n00b is offline  
post #263 of 534 Old 01-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Newbie
 
av_n00b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post


Personally I would take out ANY filters they installed other than the one at POE. You get slight signal loss any time the cable goes through a connector.

xnappo

Define slight signal loss at the connector please?
av_n00b is offline  
post #264 of 534 Old 01-28-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_n00b View Post

Sorry I only read a few of the first pages you posted. And now the last page.


So you have a house amp connected to your house? So its:

Tap>drop>ground block>house amp>8-way splitter>coax to devices?


I can tell you the major issues you have been having have more to do with that amp than anything.

Amp's are band-aids when it comes to cable/internet services. At Comcast where I worked as a tech for many years. ALL cable service providers use them as a band aid.....not a solution.

And you would not believe how many ebay, radio shack, best buy amps I took out of houses because they think its this magic item that will make everything better.

But most people don't know, these are amps......GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT.


There will always be noise, ingress, whatever you want to call it on a system. With an amp you're only making it worse.


Ive installed cable in Oprah's vacation house where I live. Its bigger than a Hampton hotel. And not a single amp was used.....its all in how the tech thinks about things and how you run it.


Also, traps (or as you call them, filters) are bad. Always have been always will be. They were never meant for the elements, but most techs put them in the elements and they go bad fast. And they get recycled. Never tested to ensure they work.

I had a trap that was blocking everything in the 500mhz freq range.....just 500-598mhz. For no reason, and it was an hbo trap too.


idk, kinda bored and registered to post this.....most likely not helpful, but whatever.


If you ever have any questions lmk. I have worked for 2 cable companies and multiple systems.

CT-4 at Comcast
CST-2 at Knology

The techs put in the amp and did more harm than good. They claimed it was neccessary and only their equipment was supported. An 8 way splitter drops far too much signal, so I used a zero return loss distribution block to maintain the same level at each leg as the input. The trouble started when TWC started cutting wires and amping 15db through a splitter to account for the 8-10db of loss. I did the re-wire myself (home run) and isolated the modems prior to the distribution block.

I'm about to do a rewire of a home that TWC subs butchered. I did a walkthrough the other day and found 5 separate splitters between 3 TV's and a cable modem with a mix of RG 6 and old RG-59. The TWC techs couldn't figure out why his modem was dropping out! I will be isolating it down to only 2 splits because I can do a home run from his garage as it goes thought both the attic and basement (through concrete). I don't know what the builders were thinking!

In the end, I'm on my last nerve with TWC and am seriously looking at downgrading or moving to DirecTV altogether (minus Internet as options are limited). I really like what I'm seeing with the HR-34 5 tuner Whole Home set up and am just tired of dealing with TWC. It's going to come down to cost per outlet.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #265 of 534 Old 01-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Newbie
 
av_n00b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

The techs put in the amp and did more harm than good. They claimed it was neccessary and only their equipment was supported. An 8 way splitter drops far too much signal, so I used a zero return loss distribution block to maintain the same level at each leg as the input. The trouble started when TWC started cutting wires and amping 15db through a splitter to account for the 8-10db of loss. I did the re-wire myself (home run) and isolated the modems prior to the distribution block.

I'm about to do a rewire of a home that TWC subs butchered. I did a walkthrough the other day and found 5 separate splitters between 3 TV's and a cable modem with a mix of RG 6 and old RG-59. The TWC techs couldn't figure out why his modem was dropping out! I will be isolating it down to only 2 splits because I can do a home run from his garage as it goes thought both the attic and basement (through concrete). I don't know what the builders were thinking!

In the end, I'm on my last nerve with TWC and am seriously looking at downgrading or moving to DirecTV altogether (minus Internet as options are limited). I really like what I'm seeing with the HR-34 5 tuner Whole Home set up and am just tired of dealing with TWC. It's going to come down to cost per outlet.

Just because its a -10 db loss does not mean its harming the signal.


Boxes need to be about the same power signal as the modem (neg7 pos7 is my rule of thumb). And as far as the TX goes.....a box can rock a 55 and be ok....modems....not so much.

So you really need to see what the signal is behind the device to determine if you need that amp or not.

And no cable service provider is allowed to leave rg59 UNLESS its for tv only with out a box. That's all the cable service providers policy.

I had a job out at a fire station.....in the house box was 14 4-ways, which are neg7 loss even. They still had enough signal for them to have 4 modems, and the rest were digi boxes. And they did not even run main line into the building. From the tap was rg11. Just so happened to be great signal off that tap (pos 15-20 across the board on 116-80-70-2)

I have also run multiple drops (4 port tap and only 2 houses get fed off it). Both were 320ft drop runs (rg11) and one went for the modem only, other drop went to 5 digi boxes (vacation beach house).

Its all in the wire management......amps are not needed. End of story.
av_n00b is offline  
post #266 of 534 Old 01-28-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ybsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_n00b View Post

Just because its a -10 db loss does not mean its harming the signal.


Boxes need to be about the same power signal as the modem (neg7 pos7 is my rule of thumb). And as far as the TX goes.....a box can rock a 55 and be ok....modems....not so much.

So you really need to see what the signal is behind the device to determine if you need that amp or not.

And no cable service provider is allowed to leave rg59 UNLESS its for tv only with out a box. That's all the cable service providers policy.

I had a job out at a fire station.....in the house box was 14 4-ways, which are neg7 loss even. They still had enough signal for them to have 4 modems, and the rest were digi boxes. And they did not even run main line into the building. From the tap was rg11. Just so happened to be great signal off that tap (pos 15-20 across the board on 116-80-70-2)

I have also run multiple drops (4 port tap and only 2 houses get fed off it). Both were 320ft drop runs (rg11) and one went for the modem only, other drop went to 5 digi boxes (vacation beach house).

Its all in the wire management......amps are not needed. End of story.

Amps are needed sometimes depending how the system is designed. Any amplifier needs flat inputs to the hybrid to get good outputs both analog and digital. I am happy that you achieved good results with out using them, but you can not make a blanket statement that includes every system in the US.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
ybsane is offline  
post #267 of 534 Old 01-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Newbie
 
av_n00b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Amps are needed sometimes depending how the system is designed. Any amplifier needs flat inputs to the hybrid to get good outputs both analog and digital. I am happy that you achieved good results with out using them, but you can not make a blanket statement that includes every system in the US.

What are you talking about?


You know we are talking about cable coax house amps right? Not a speaker amp......
av_n00b is offline  
post #268 of 534 Old 01-28-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ybsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_n00b View Post

What are you talking about?


You know we are talking about cable coax house amps right? Not a speaker amp......

Yes, Hybrid amps are used in both house and Field (line amps) Field amps are push-pull design. Either way you need flat levels into the amp, reverse tilt with the low band levels higher than 8dbmv will cause issues with QAM's in systems having an analog with digital tier. Should have been covered in CT-3 class.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
ybsane is offline  
post #269 of 534 Old 01-28-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rdgcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salisbury,NC
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Seems that everyone is a expert. I've found that "the more that I know, the more I know that i don't know". Sage advice for many of those here.
rdgcss is offline  
post #270 of 534 Old 01-29-2012, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ybsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

Seems that everyone is a expert. I've found that "the more that I know, the more I know that i don't know". Sage advice for many of those here.

I am not an expert, never put anything in my claims either. After 27 years in the this industry I can tell you that I do learn something new everyday...

Forward path is pretty easy to learn, but return path is something different everyday.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
ybsane is offline  
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off