Comcast DTA, convert to any other input type - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 301
I would try using a two-way splitter in reverse as a combiner (DTA input #1 and wall to input #2) then connect to TV. That may be all you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 06-21-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

I would try using a two-way splitter in reverse as a combiner (DTA input #1 and wall to input #2) then connect to TV. That may be all you need.

wouldn't that create interference with 2 digital signals on channel 3?
post #33 of 43 Old 06-21-2011, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Who knows?
One is analog... one may be digital. Give it a try and find out.
If the DTA interferes, just power it off when watching HD. Problem solved.
post #34 of 43 Old 06-21-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
You're going to have to use some kind of kludge to get the channels you want without paying Comcast more. It's just the way it is now.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #35 of 43 Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 PM

So, yeah. Read this thread and even you can learn all the facts! Right. Did you know they have digital transport adapters with HDMI out? Clear local HD channels? Yes they do, but Oh, but wait, not for everyone. Only those that didn't previously have a digital package.

Here are some facts, many of you are ignorant to the fact that even the facts CHANGED recently. Some of the responses from these "experts" above are completely arrogant, and even more ignorant.

The days of CLEAR QAM are all but gone. Comcast switched early May this year, many others too, the rest will. Somehow, some bozo's were allowed to lobby last fall for legal allowance of encryption to cable systems, because the Satellite companies can/do, right? Sure, ok, there you go cable. Now the bills go up, right along with the taxes. Look at that! Can you believe that they can actually pass laws like that, that cost the consumer, without even getting input from the public or truly studying the financial effect of the change? This has to be Bush's fault, I'm sure of it. I know Saddam is in some cave enjoying clear QAM right now, probably MTV Cribs.

Guess what? The government mandated digital tuners in TV's, starting back mid-90s, TV's over a certain size. Guess who paid for that? We did. I've had stripped down basic cable for almost ten years, about 3 tvs, one DVR, one DVD ram recorder, and about three PC tuner cards - no cable equipment for that duration. Guess what? It's all trash now, unless I put up a massive antenna, as clear QAM is now encrypted! Nice work! What's next, medical expenses doubling? Never gonna happen, nope.

Hey, should I complain? Of course, I can **tch all I want. I am one of the "lucky" ones that had no cable equipment, period. So I fall into a category that is "allowed" to have three digital transport adapters (Motorola), each having HDMI or RF out, one or the other. If it detects HDMI, the RF is gone, if you connect RF first, the HDMI is shut off. Hey, at least with the HDMI output I am able to get local HD channels back. But I can't record anything (I could two months ago X 4), well, unless I want to do it by pushing an AB switch and tuning my record device to channel 3 or 4, dedicating that DTA to that channel. That will take a very nice HD signal and make it worse than an overdubbed vcr tape left on your dashboard. Less than HD, less than SD, it clips the top and the sides to ensure you only get 57% of your total screen filled. That will make you run to the cable company and upgrade tomorrow.

For those of you that had limited basic and no cable company equipment, they are giving out "deals" where you get up to three DTAs and no price increase for 2 years. That is supposed to give you budget planning time to ease into the new HD screw you price structure. I will have an antenna pulling in OTA signals before that. Or maybe you will be able to pick channels ala-carte by then, via the web.

I'm not sure of the future, but for a government that pushed for the digital conversion so hard, it sure seems too easy for them to make it ok for cable co's to jack your bill up and tax you accordingly. And I'm one of the lucky ones? What's your story? Could you plug into the wall two months ago, run a channel scan and get all the locals in HD? Did you know that you could have? Anybody know how to capture a transport stream?
post #36 of 43 Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Here are some facts, many of you are ignorant to the fact that even the facts CHANGED recently. Some of the responses from these "experts" above are completely arrogant, and even more ignorant.
You mean more arrogant and ignorant than posting your rant to a thread that was last used 2 years ago? eek.gif
post #37 of 43 Old 06-18-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Someone had a bad day. tongue.gif

EDIT:

LOL. No posts since 6/24/08 and this is supposedly helpful? eek.gif
post #38 of 43 Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tepete71 View Post

But I can't record anything (I could two months ago X 4)

Time to think outside of the 1980-1990's box. We can record all of the HD, encrypted, and copyrighted channels on a computer with out a hitch. Anywhere from 1 to 32 channels at the same time.

We pay $3.99/month to rent a cable card that can decrypt up to 6 streams at once, Comcast gives you one for free! Record and watch whatever you want when ever you want, and for a long as you want (how does 20 Tb DVR sound?).

Yeah, NTSC tuners are in the dumpster, but so is the telegraph.

We pay less now for cable TV, internet and phone (triple play) than we did in the 90's for just the cable TV.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #39 of 43 Old 06-18-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tepete71 View Post

This has to be Bush's fault, I'm sure of it. I know Saddam is in some cave enjoying clear QAM right now, probably MTV Cribs.

Bush? Saddam? MTV Cribs?

Did you have this written out in 2003 and just suddenly decide to post it now?

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #40 of 43 Old 11-22-2013, 10:08 AM

DTA's from Comcast are the devil!

post #41 of 43 Old 11-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags View Post

Giving people free dta boxes, in order to continue viewing what they have currently ,without an increase on their bill, is a thinly disguised "money grab"?

People who upgrade to HD are not forced to do so. Buying an HDTV and wanting "upgraded" HD service , outside of the locals , for free, IMO, is unrealistic. Would it be nice, yeah, but it ain't gonna happen.

Every company is out to make money. They do not normally give away upgrades for "free" All those people getting an upgraded digital picture to their analog or HD TVs, for "free", with the required "free" dta, are getting a "free"upgrade, regardless of how you feel about it.

You want more you pay more. HD channels such as ESPN or CNN , are rarely if ever able to be picked up without a box. You want them in HD, you pay for them, you dont, here is your free non-hd DTA. Right or wrong it was how this country has been long before you and I were around to complain about it.

Maybe instead of blaming comcast for "forcing" you to pay to "upgrade" the picture on your $2000 tv, put yourself in the shoes of someone who can't afford a new tv or cable and just receives OTA with rabbit ears and can no longer get a picture because it is digital and their signal isn't strong enough. It wasn't comcast that changed or mandated this. It was the government.

Just because comcast decided to switch their operations over earlier than the expected mandate for everyone, doesn't mean they are deceptively trying to squeeze more money out of you, especially when they are essentially giving you two free boxes to receive the channels you had before.

It isn't even a thinly disguised money grab, it is an straight forward money grab.

I went from paying under $10 a month to get cable television that included most of my local channels in HD, to paying the same price to have all of my channels in SD... not only SD, but what appears to be a very low quality SD.  The "free" DTA will end up costing at least $1.99 in two years, but it will probably be more than that - the $1.99 is based on current "market value".  

I can't believe that you are painting yourself as some struggling person because you get your television OTA... you realize what people come to this site for, correct?  You realize what this thread is about, correct?  You're using this as a forum to make sure that people realize how 'rich' they are because they have cable instead of all their channels ota???  Honestly, you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel in your search for sympathy and pity.

Anywho, this issue is not the result of a government mandate, but the result of a government allowance.  Comcast has not been given a mandate to scramble their signal, they are choosing to do that on their own, thus the need for the DTA boxes - the need created by Comcast, not the government.  

The money grab comes from the fact that I lost HD channels that I have had for years - YEARS!  Now if I want them back I have to upgrade my service and get an HD box from Comcast.  Nothing deceptive about this move - it is directly meant to cause people like me to consider a drastic upgrade.

Good day, sir!

post #42 of 43 Old 11-25-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just took back my two DTA's that I NEVER hooked up from about when this thread started. They were charging me two bucks a month each and I just picked up the Samsung 530 cable box/media center that supports cable card and is basicaly brand new and been out about a month. I guess that post you quoted was to me way back when and I see most like yourself also agree it was a money grab by Comcast. It certainly has cost me a lot more to do what I used to be able to do with all that now useless self owned gear. I bought a HD HomeRun Prime shortly after everything finally got encrypted and now can do up to three channels in full HD etc, but they also charge me 9.95 a month for a "digital Outlet" and now another 9.95 for the new Samsung as well. They aren't charging for the cable cards but more then make up for that with the bogus 10 bucks a month charge for a outlet that doesn't care what's plugged into it.
They also told me that free HD DCH 3200 they gave me when I finally upgraded is still free so I'm keeping that for now and we'll see if the extra 2.50 equipment credit and 4 bucks credit for no more DTA's almost cancels out my new Samsung box.
I used to pay about 86 a month for extended basic that included the locals in HD, no movie channels, and the net.
I now pay about 150 for full HD prefered, one movie channel, net, and phone. It was 200 but I called retentions and told em I like my TV, but I like to eat and pay my rent more so they dropped it 50 a month for a two year contract.
So yes I did upgrade, they ARE making more money off me, and it does cost more to do what I used to do as I had to upgrade all my gear, and my service to do a tiny bit more then I could for 90 a month before.
post #43 of 43 Old 11-29-2013, 05:24 PM

Liked: 11
I cut the comcast cable today. The DTA wast the last straw for me. I installed a RCA-ANT751R in the attic. Poor quality install R-59 cable etc but it is enough to bring in 21 channels that I want and many more that I deleted. This is enough for me. I may move the antenna to the roof in the spring or maybe not. I am OVERJOYED to get monopoly comcast out of my house. The over the air picture is PERFECT and sharp and widescreen HD etc etc
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page