Cable wire to PC monitor as a TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-03-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I want to use a flat screen PC monitor as my TV on my new cable service in one of my rooms.

I do not have coaxial cable connection on back of my monitor. I don't have HDMI either. I have VGA and those RED/Yellow/White pin connections + a bunch of R and L's connection. I guess I have to buy a converter box where I can plug in my cable coaxial cable in and have output of also a coaxial cable but on the other end of the cable, I have those 3 splitting cables...

Any idea of what kind of converter I would need and what kind of cable (coaxial on one end and 3 R/Y/W cables on the other end)?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-03-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 235
The kind you rent from the Cable Company?
post #3 of 18 Old 07-03-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

The kind you rent from the Cable Company?

Yeah, exactly...but want to buy one my self instead of paying extra $$/month. What is it called and where can I purchase wire + converter?
post #4 of 18 Old 07-03-2011, 10:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
It's called a tuner. The cable from the wall has all the channels. You need to tune them one at a time to view. There is no real converter to go coaxial to red/white/yellow unless it actually tunes in the channel. Unfortunately, there's not many choices when it comes to tuners you can own, depending on what channels you want to watch.

If the cable company still sends analog, and if you just want analog standard def channels, a VCR would work. At least until the cable co does away with analog (some already have; it depends on who your cable co is.)

If you want HD, you need a QAM tuner. There are a few standalone HD tuners. However, the choicest channels are often (in fact, almost always) encrypted, so if you get a QAM tuner, hope you like watching just the networks and shopping channels. A DVD recorder could also have a QAM tuner, but then you're limited to standard def, even with digital channels. And they're just as limited to whatever is unencrypted.

For the encrypted stuff, you need to lease something from a cable company. No way around it. You can buy a TiVo, pay the upfront lifetime fee (something like $400), and lease a cableCARD from the cable company for a few bucks a month. Otherwise, bite the bullet and just get a cable box.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 18 Old 07-05-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninh2o View Post
Hi guys,

I want to use a flat screen PC monitor as my TV on my new cable service in one of my rooms.

I do not have coaxial cable connection on back of my monitor. I don't have HDMI either. I have VGA and those RED/Yellow/White pin connections + a bunch of R and L's connection. I guess I have to buy a converter box where I can plug in my cable coaxial cable in and have output of also a coaxial cable but on the other end of the cable, I have those 3 splitting cables...

Any idea of what kind of converter I would need and what kind of cable (coaxial on one end and 3 R/Y/W cables on the other end)?

Thanks
You need to connect your coaxial cable to a tuner in a computer, like in the post above.

If you want to view encrypted cable channels, like Discovery, TLC, History, MTV, CNN, Fox, HGTV... you will need a cablecard capable tuner either Ceton InfiniTV4 (quad cableCard tuner) or Silicon Dust HomeRun Prime (triple CableCard tuner) will work any Windows7 machine.

You will need to get a WMC remote and never need to connect keyboard or mouse to the computer. It truly acts as a cable company DVR, but you don't pay rental fees (and you can record 3-4 channels at the same time), other than $1-$4/month CableCard rental, and you can share the tuners on your network to other machines in the house.

A cheaper alternative is ATI Digital Cable Tuner, a single CableCard tuner, but the only way to buy them is on ebay, since it has been discontinued.

Alternatively, you can try this adapter, but this is analog only tuner. This adapter will work with HD TV, but since most cable channels are encrypted, you will be limited to just basic broadcast cable.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #6 of 18 Old 07-05-2011, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both of you.

Few things,

I DO NOT care about DVR feature for this TV.
I prefer not to use a PC.
I would like to get ALL channels..

So from what I gather from your posts is that the last thing is not possible unless I rent a tuner. Lets say if I just want to basic channels...what is the bet option for me w/o using computer?

Is this....http://www.amazon.com/Kworld-HDmi-Ex...2&sr=1-36....a proper product?

Thx
post #7 of 18 Old 07-05-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, that has a QAM tuner in it. It should come with a DVI to VGA adapter. Plug into that, hook up the cable, run a scan, and you should be in business.

What channels you get depends on how generous your cable company is. You should at least get the networks.

And yes, to get all the channels, you need to rent a cable box.

post #8 of 18 Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Yeah, that has a QAM tuner in it. It should come with a DVI to VGA adapter. Plug into that, hook up the cable, run a scan, and you should be in business.

What channels you get depends on how generous your cable company is. You should at least get the networks.

And yes, to get all the channels, you need to rent a cable box.

Thank you

what about this http://www.amazon.com/ePVision-PHD-2...9923279&sr=1-3 one? Is this better than the previous one?

Thanks
post #9 of 18 Old 07-05-2011, 10:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've never used either, so I can't comment on overall quality. They both have VGA out (the first using an adapter), so either would work (on paper, at least.) QAM tuners all kind of work the same way.

Try the HDTV tech forum here on AVSforum. I'm sure someone there has tried both.

post #10 of 18 Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 PM

You might want to look at the iview 2000stb at amazon as well. Its got your red/white/yellow line output and its very inexpensive, but has its share of problems.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:

QAM tuners all kind of work the same way.

Not true. I have 3 pieces of equipment with QAM tuners. I found that some equipment doesn't use cable comany aliases others don't. So some of my digital equipment picks up channel 13 as channel 13, other pieces pick up channel 13 as channel 60.1.

Most cable companies scramble everything but the locals, but some cable companies pass through all digital basic cable such as USA, TBS, TNT, ESPN, CNN in unencrypted QAM. My cable company sends out basic cable and local channels in unencrypted qam. So I recieve 88 channels in unencrypted QAM. This is a huge problem when one digital tuner uses different channel numbers, than the rest of the digital equipment.

So when selecting a QAM tuner its important to find one that uses aliases instead of raw qam chennels.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-07-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg2003 View Post

Not true. I have 3 pieces of equipment with QAM tuners. I found that some equipment doesn't use cable comany aliases others don't.

So when selecting a QAM tuner its important to find one that uses aliases instead of raw qam chennels.

I did say "kinda".

I meant that they all run a scan the same way. I realize that some use aliases, but that's a pretty specific feature that most don't have. No DVD recorder I know of does, no TV I know of does, etc., and that's the majority of QAM tuners available (aside from HTPC tuners.) Neither box he and I posted up there does aliases. Does the Iview?

post #13 of 18 Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I did say "kinda".

I meant that they all run a scan the same way. I realize that some use aliases, but that's a pretty specific feature that most don't have. No DVD recorder I know of does, no TV I know of does, etc., and that's the majority of QAM tuners available (aside from HTPC tuners.) Neither box he and I posted up there does aliases. Does the Iview?

Yes they all do run a scan that seems to take forever to find the QAM and filter out the scrambled QAM.

I purchased three pieces of equipment with qam tuner since May 2011. My Samsung TV LN22d450G1F TV uses the aliases, and my iview 2000stb uses aliases, so I was more than a little surprised when I picked up the Motorola DVR and it used raw numbers.

If your cable company sends through lots of clear qam, as in my case 88 channels, it gets to be difficult to get used to the two sets of completely unrelated channel numbers.

I wonder if other cable companies even send out aliases that make sense.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"Makes sense" is in the eye of the beholder. Those who use ATSC or have used digital QAM from the beginning are used to the funky decimal numbers. I can see why having two different channel numbers for the same channel is a pain, but most QAM tuners will do the decimal thing.

post #15 of 18 Old 07-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Well since the cable company's DTA doesn't seem to use those aliases, the cable company can stick whatever they want in the aliases. My provider just finished the change over to digital, and for 2 days in the stage three process they changed the aliases to be the main channel followed by the real channel, so channel 13 was channel 60.13 but was 60.1 in the raw qam, but fortunately that was just a glitch and they went back to using the aliases that are the same as the cable DTA channels. So for me, 13=13 is the ultimate in make sense numbers. 60.13 was a "kinda" make sense number, and 60.1 in nonsense!

So much of this really is provider dependent. I have some experience with Comcast, and the qam channel numbers didn't make any sense, but I'm not sure if I was looking at raw qam, or if my equipment didn't pick up the aliases. Since Comcast required a DTA even on digital equipment, I don't think they would do anything to make it easy to use without a DTA. Now with WOW they all make sense and match the numbers found in the DTA and the TV guide and DTA's are not required (for basic cable) if digital equipment is used. If you move into premium channels or HD service then you must get the cable company DTA or use cable card equipment in order to descramble signals..
post #16 of 18 Old 07-07-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

COMCAST is the cable company.

Would you happen to know if the two listed above are compatible?
post #17 of 18 Old 07-07-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They should be compatible with any cable company that uses QAM, Comcast included.

What you can pick up unencrypted is anyone's guess. You won't know until you get one hooked up and run a scan. Or know someone in your area who already has.

post #18 of 18 Old 07-07-2011, 01:10 PM

If you were dealing with a cable company that sends more than "limited basic cable", meaning local only, in clear qam, I'd suggest you buy, but with comcast you'll only get a handful of local channels in clear qam.

Rent the DTA from comcast. Its going to be about $2 extra a month. However the Comcast DTA's only have RF channel 3/4 analog output. You'll need to convert that to av output. An old VCR will do it (you can find them in the trash or at the goodwill. Or there is a RF to line converter available for about $10 will be needed.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page