HDMI (laptop) to Old VCR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This will probably seem like heresy to most people, but I was wondering if there was a cheap and easy way to go from HDMI to an RF cable for an old VCR? Here's the reason: I like to watch TV shows and movies online, connecting my laptop directly to my Vizio HDTV via HDMI. But sometimes it would just seem easier to record some of these programs to a VHS tape and play them. I realize it's a downgrade of quality, but messing around with my laptop whenever I want to pause or resume or find my spot can be kind of a drag, too. Is there any way to do this? Thanks,
Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Does your laptop have a composite video (yellow) output?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Yeah, the only two likely ways to do it with a VCR is if the laptop has either a composite or S-video out (my old Frys housebrand had S-video.) If it's composite, any VCR with composite inputs would work.

If it's S-video, then you need an S-VHS VCR. They're around, but not as common, and probably $30-$50 off eBay (I got mine there for about $40.)

On top of that, you'll need a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA analog audio cable to carry the sound, as neither composite (yellow alone) or S-video cables do. One of these in the length you need (Monoprice has them up to 50 feet.)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

If it is HDMI, like my Lenovo laptop, you're probably out of luck with the VCR, although at that point I'd go direct into the TV. I don't know of any HDMI to composite/s-video converters out there, but maybe there are.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I have a new HP Pavilion G6 laptop. It's got:

3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A,
1 x Audio / video - HDMI,
1 x Display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15),
1 x Network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45,
1 x Headphones - Output - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm,
1 x Microphone - Input - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm

I do connect the HDMI cable direct to the TV - I was just thinking of how I might be able to convert it so I could send it to an old VCR. It's kind of sounding from what you all are saying that it won't work.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
It would probably be easier to look for a method to convert the VGA (laptop) to composite (VCR).
Old 08-12-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm....Okay, I did a little research & found a cheap cable on Amazon. ("VGA Adapter to TV S-Video RCA Out Cable for PC Video" http://www.amazon.com/VGA-Adapter-S-...ref=pd_sim_e_1) About 2 bucks, sounded good, until I read the reviews which said categorically that this is not meant to connect your laptop to your tv, and that you need a converter box for it. I admit, this confuses the heck out of me, but I think I'm back at square one, which is, there's not a cheap easy way to do this. I do appreciate the help, though!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko220 View Post

Hmmm....Okay, I did a little research & found a cheap cable on Amazon. ("VGA Adapter to TV S-Video RCA Out Cable for PC Video" http://www.amazon.com/VGA-Adapter-S-...ref=pd_sim_e_1) About 2 bucks, sounded good, until I read the reviews which said categorically that this is not meant to connect your laptop to your tv, and that you need a converter box for it. I admit, this confuses the heck out of me, but I think I'm back at square one, which is, there's not a cheap easy way to do this. I do appreciate the help, though!

Some laptop 'VGA' connectors used unassigned pins in the db-15 connector to carry composite or S-video. These cables work only on laptops with that connection.